PDA

View Full Version : In conference realignment, 16 is better than 10

tlongII
06-09-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/06/canzano_in_conference_realignm.html

Adding Texas and Oklahoma and four other influential football friends from the Big 12 Conference does not go down as a good idea if you're the Pacific-10 Conference.

Rather -- it's a great idea.

Forget the hand wringing that is going on internally at the University of Oregon and Oregon State. Forget the fear that the in-state colleges that have finally figured out USC would now lose their footing and be faced with new big-stage challenges. I think the Ducks and Beavers would be just fine in an expanded conference that would be the nation's best.

We're really talking about an expanded recruiting territory that would include Texas, a lucrative television deal, more exposure, better competition and the addition of as much as $20 million to each conference member.

Looking for negatives here?

Yeah. I know. We'd all have to deal with rabid and irrational Sooners football fans on a regular basis. But beyond that, the expansion to a Pac-16 is a wonderful idea. And it would signal the beginning of the end of the flawed Bowl Championship Series system.

What we have here is a rare occasion in which financial gain lines up with what really is best for the conference. Too often (See: BCS title game) the big-money decisions in athletics result in puzzling and absurd scenarios. But with this one, the trail of money leads the conference to a better place.

The Civil War rivalry isn't hurt by expansion. The strength of schedule is improved with the addition of better programs. The "USC and everyone else" reputation is blown up. And what's left is a power football conference that has only one missing piece.

It's this: a new conference name.

The Big Pack? How about Super Pac Conference? Sweet 16, anyone? There's time to figure that out. What there will never be is a good reason to turn away an opportunity to make the conference relevant at a time in which college football is trying to find its way.

The death of the current BCS system is the best byproduct of going to a super-conference format. It looks like college football is headed toward four big conferences, with their champions competing for a national title.

The backroom dealing already is under way. And the Pac-10 could put itself in position to dictate some of the format by being the first to move and ensuring that they control three major power brokers (USC, Oklahoma and Texas).

It's understandable that Oregon would be anxious about the addition of two more blue-chip programs. The Ducks just pounded USC and look like they've arrived as a top-three program in the conference under coach Chip Kelly.

Also, Oregon State is viewed as a viable No. 3 in a conference where that means an annual sniff at the Rose Bowl and Holiday Bowl. Coach Mike Riley has done a wonderful job of making the Beavers relevant in a conference where that hasn't been easy.

After last year's epic Civil War it felt a lot like the conference had changed. I watched Kelly and Riley shake hands at Autzen Stadium after the game, and hoped that we'd get a chance to see them in a series of meaningful rematches over the next decade.

That doesn't have to change, even with the addition of quality conference members. Oregon has the infrastructure of a major college football program, and a great offensive coach. Oregon State does more with less than anyone else, and has given USC fits in the last half decade.

What could our in-state colleges do with an additional $20 million in annual revenue?

Think on that.

The landscape of college football is changing, regardless of what the Pac-10 does. The answer for the conference can't be status quo.

Sixteen sounds sweet to me.

NFO
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
The only thing I question in the Pac-1o going from 10 to 16 is the unamious vote required.

Remember back when Stanford (I believe) voted against bringing in Texas in the mid 90s?

Things may have changed in regards towards Texas, but personally I don't think Stanford wants to be associated with Texas Tech, Baylor, Okie St and I don't know if they would approve the tag a longs to get Texas.

I have read that the wave of expansion is the way to go to get Texas and maybe A&M. For the Pac-10 expand the conference to Colorado and Utah if the Big Ten were to add one or three teams. Then you have 2 slots open and you can offer them to Texas and A&M without getting all of tag alongs.

What the Pac-10 doesn't want is Texas coming with with their tag alongs that would rubber stamp and decision with what Texas does to somewhat control the conference.

Nevertheless it should be an interesting next couple of days to see if anything shakes out.

Blake
06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
The only thing I question in the Pac-1o going from 10 to 16 is the unamious vote required.

Larry Scott said he was given the authority to give the invite to the B12 teams.

I very much doubt he would do so without making sure all the schools are ok with it.

Academics aren't as big a deal in expansion talks as you make them out to be. Bottom line is money and exposure.

NFO
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Larry Scott said he was given the authority to give the invite to the B12 teams.

I very much doubt he would do so without making sure all the schools are ok with it.

True, but that was with Colorado and not Baylor (religious affiliation), which the Pac-10 has strayed away from its entire existence.

Can't Stanford change its mind?

Academics aren't as big a deal in expansion talks as you make them out to be. Bottom line is money and exposure.

Well when Delaney, Gene Smith, Gordon Gee, and Lou Anna Simon all say that academics will be a part of the process I have no reason to not believe them.

Kind of similar when DeLoss said he hadn't spoken to Ohio State, you believed him.

All this expansion talk would end if Notre Dame joined the Big 10 and the Big 10 stopped at 12 teams, the rest of college football would maintain the status quo.

Blake
06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
True, but that was with Colorado and not Baylor (religious affiliation), which the Pac-10 has strayed away from its entire existence.

Can't Stanford change its mind?

sure they can.

At this time though, it looks to me like Baylor will get left out.....just my opinion.

Obviously Scott got the ok to throw out invites to the other "tagalongs" in Tech and Okie st.

Well when Delaney, Gene Smith, Gordon Gee, and Lou Anna Simon all say that academics will be a part of the process I have no reason to not believe them.

Kind of similar when DeLoss said he hadn't spoken to Ohio State, you believed him.

I don't have a reason to not believe them either.

"I don't think the academics are as big a deal as you make it out to be. In the end money and exposure >> academics when talking invititations."

All this expansion talk would end if Notre Dame joined the Big 10 and the Big 10 stopped at 12 teams, the rest of college football would maintain the status quo.

Probably, but I think it's clear that the Big 10 also has Nebraska in it's sights and there's a good chance it's a done deal.

NFO
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Obviously Scott got the ok to throw out invites to the other "tagalongs" in Tech and Okie st.

I agree with that.

"I don't think the academics are as big a deal as you make it out to be. In the end money and exposure >> academics when talking invititations."

Maybe its not as bog of a deal becuase most of the schools even targeted by the Big 10 are either already AAu members and/or eligible to become an AAU member (Notre Dame). Obviously its not the sole or probably even a major factor, but I do think it is one.

Probably, but I think it's clear that the Big 10 also has Nebraska in it's sights and there's a good chance it's a done deal.

I think there might be a wave of expansion now that the Big 12 gave out the ultimatium and is trying to force other conferences hands along with Notre Dames. I think the Big Ten for now might just nab Nebraska and the Pac-10 Colorado and Utah with the intent to go to 14 or 16 teams down the road with out having to take all of the Texas teams to one conference/division.

Blake
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I think the Big Ten for now might just nab Nebraska and the Pac-10 Colorado and Utah with the intent to go to 14 or 16 teams down the road with out having to take all of the Texas teams to one conference/division.

mmm....Utah?

I havent heard anything on them mentioning Utah.

The only bonus for Utah is that it would be a school that has had relatively good success lately and is close in proximity. I don't see it being good from a TV contract situation though.

Even with Tech, you are bringing in a team that has consistently been on national TV the last 5-6 years and brings a nice Texas TV audience to help negotiate with.

I'm thinking that's why they already mentioned Tech and not Utah.

NFO
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
mmm....Utah?

I havent heard anything on them mentioning Utah.

The only bonus for Utah is that it would be a school that has had relatively good success lately and is close in proximity. I don't see it being good from a TV contract situation though.

Even with Tech, you are bringing in a team that has consistently been on national TV the last 5-6 years and brings a nice Texas TV audience to help negotiate with.

I'm thinking that's why they already mentioned Tech and not Utah.

I only heard Utah to the Pac-10 if Nebraska and Nebraska only Nebraska goes to the Big 10 and Colorado to the Big 12 in an attempt to expand in waves to weed out the Texas tag along schools.

I know Utah doesn't bring a large market, but it would bring more TVs than Tech and Baylor because if the Pac-10 were to get UT , that UT would already deliver the entire state of Texas regardless of whether Tech or Baylor were included in a package deal.

Of course this and the other 124,657 scenarios out there are all possible too I guess. :lol