PDA

View Full Version : Rockets looking at Whiteside and working out six new players

Indazone
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16355

Hassan Whiteside is a character. For some reason, he showed up for measurements wearing sandals, meaning that his 6'11.5 height with shoes is deceiving. But don't worry, Whiteside says he'll make it up and then some by always wearing two pairs of socks at the next level.

There are many questions surrounding Whiteside as the draft approaches and teams are trying to get a good read on the big man out of Marshall. While he is one of the most unproven players in this class, his potential and upside has lottery teams taking a hard look at him. He can score inside but also step out and knock down a jumper. He is a dominant shot blocker, averaging 5.4 blocks per game last season with the Thundering Herd. He is raw but teams believe with some work he could be a great center.

So why does Whiteside keep doing things to hurt his stock? Showing up in sandals wasn't his only head scratching moment during the Pre-Draft Camp in Chicago. He opted not to participate in the basketball portion of the Combine, choosing instead to just work out for individual teams in private.

"Yeah, I was wanting to do it but my agent advised me not too since I'll have workouts with the teams that are already looking at me," Whiteside told HOOPSWORLD. "Most of the teams, I'm going to set up workouts. I'm going to set up workouts with them anyway."

But several teams in the lottery were not thrilled and felt that his decision not to compete points to several other eyebrow raising red flags that have surrounded Whiteside throughout this process. When asked what is the biggest misconception about his game, Hassan pauses for a second.

"Probably that I look like I don't love the game sometimes or I don't have intensity, that's probably the biggest misconception," he says.

While he acknowledges this, he doesn't want to hear that he doesn't work hard or doesn't want this.

"I don't know. They say I don't work hard, I guess. I don't really know. Averaging five block shots a game, I must have been working hard at some point. I think early in the season, I didn't really bring it as much as I did later on. It came up like once or twice [in interviews] but I don't really know where they got that from" he says defiantly.

Rather than slipping out of the lottery altogether, there is a good chance that the Houston Rockets grab him at fourteen if he's available. After spending a week working out with Hakeem Olajuwon, the legend gave his approval. With Yao Ming's health and future in question and the Rockets are looking for a young replacement and there's a good chance that Whiteside is their guy.

This is why Whiteside hasn't scheduled any workouts with teams outside of the lottery and is confident that he won't free fall on draft day.
The situation in Houston may be exactly what Whiteside is looking for. When asked if he'd rather be on a young team with an opportunity to compete for the starting job or a veteran team where he can play a smaller role in the immediate future, Hassan says he prefers the latter. "I want vets around me that can help me and really teach me the ropes," he says. But don't get him wrong, he still wants to play and impact games behind the veterans.

"It's just being on a team, being able to make an instant impact, and being able to contribute," says Whiteside when asked what he's looking forward too.

When you start talking to the young man about his game, he gets very comfortable and opens up, describing his game. "A mobile four or five, an outside shooter who can play inside and out, and a defensive presence," he says. "I really think basketball is about skill and my heart is big so I'm going to come in and play hard."

There have been some comparisons made to Marcus Camby, which Whiteside scoffs at, and some believe he resembles JaVale McGee. But ask Whiteside who he plays like and he smiles. "Probably Kevin Garnett without all of the cussing and stuff, without all of the craziness."

Like Garnett, Whiteside believes he can win Defensive Player of the Year at the next level - something Dwight Howard scoffs at – and change games with his size and ability on that end of the floor. "Just with my length and athleticism, I don't think anybody can play defense like me and defense is the biggest key in basketball," he says.

The potential is there and with some work, Whiteside seems like he could be a great NBA center. His athleticism and raw skills are just waiting to be developed and there's no question that someone will take a chance on him early. He may be a work in progress but the final result could be worth it.

Some believe he still has some maturing and growing up to do but there's no question that he has the tools and ability to take over games and be a dominant player. That is, as long as he doesn't show up on game day wearing sandals.

Six players who are in town for the session Friday include: center Brian Davis from Texas A&M, guard Demetri McCamey from Illinois, guard Manny Harris from Michigan, forward Latavious Williams from Tulsa of the NBA Development League, forward Jajuan Johnson from Purdue and guard Kelvin Lewis from the University of Houston.

Not sure any of these guys is good enough except for Jajuan Johnson.

Darthkiller
06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
whiteside wont drop below the pistons

Pelicans78
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
whiteside wont drop below the pistons

He's gonna drop fast. Extremely raw, weak, and not sure if has the motivation to work on his game. I think alot of teams will pass. Rockets may take him because he potentially fits a need.

Alot of Hornet fans were high on him earlier thinking he could be like Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot, but now with the reports saying how raw he is and may not be able to contribute for a couple of years alot of us are ready to pass on him. We do need a long athletic center to help improve our defense, but Whiteside doesn't seem to be the answer. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a complete bust which is why I'm hoping for a SF like Babbitt or Paul George.

The Franchise
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't want him.

Indazone
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd rather have Jajuan Johnson. At least we know he's clutch.

noob cake
06-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Thank God this story leaked -> Morey is not drafting Whiteside.

When was the last time that Morey worked out his draft prospects? He drafted Budinger and Taylor without Rockets workouts.

We all heard the bullshit Amare, Bosh, Al Jefferson trade rumors. Bam, who did we get? Not Amare or Bosh, but rather Ron Artest and Kevin Martin. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up Spencer Hawes from the Kings. Petrie is Morey's good pal.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Nobody cares!!!! Yao nuthugger!