PDA

View Full Version : Nets in negotiations with..

manufan10
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Avery Johnson, to be their new head coach.

manufan10
06-09-2010, 01:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4669380/awkward-averyharris-reunion-on-horizon

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
good for Avery.

Roddy Beaubois
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1uAQliFapps/SYEsJohVCwI/AAAAAAAADVA/reqO4jf0bn4/s400/devin.jpg

lefty
06-09-2010, 01:36 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1uAQliFapps/SYEsJohVCwI/AAAAAAAADVA/reqO4jf0bn4/s400/devin.jpg
:lmao

Man About Town
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Awwwkward....

Fabbs
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Noooo wait and see if Doc can help Ray Allen, Pierce and KG find their nutts again and beat LA. Buss cheapskates out, Phil comes to the Brooklyn Nets with LeBron.

Guess it ain't gonna happen....

BUMP
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Good.

I've always liked Avery and I'm shocked it took him this long to get a job. Went to the Finals his first year (should've won) and had the best record in the NBA his second year, playoff berth in his third. It just doesn't make sense that its taken him over two years to find a job

Pelicans78
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM

:lol

manufan10
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Heard that both sides have come to a verbal agreement with one another.

Barry Bonds
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM
By golly, Avery Johnson has more chokejobs on his resume than I have legitimate home runs!!

:elephant:elephant

JamStone
06-09-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.theunticket.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/avery-johnson.jpg

urunobili
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Good.

I've always liked Avery and I'm shocked it took him this long to get a job. Went to the Finals his first year (should've won) and had the best record in the NBA his second year, playoff berth in his third. It just doesn't make sense that its taken him over two years to find a job

BUMP; by contract if he would have gotten another Job he wouldn't have been getting his fully paid salary by Mark Cuban. He was just kicking back until that deal expired :)

Now that Cube's money is not there, he has moved on to his next gig :)

Roddy Beaubois
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
But that deal hasn't expired yet, has it?

Greg Oden
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
bump; by contract if he would have gotten another job he wouldn't have been getting his fully paid salary by mark cuban. He was just kicking back until that deal expired :)

now that cube's money is not there, he has moved on to his next gig :)

fucking owned holy shit mark cuban how do you feel faggot bitch avery raped you hahaha holy i dont even see you bitchy fag he took your money lolol!

BUMP
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
BUMP; by contract if he would have gotten another Job he wouldn't have been getting his fully paid salary by Mark Cuban. He was just kicking back until that deal expired :)

Not a bad move by him at all, just chill until he's done getting paid :lol

But still if I was him I would've tried to jump right into coaching right away cause if you wait too long, people will forget about you

z0sa
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
lol defensive

lurker
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
After Devin was traded, he said he was glad to be away from Avery. This won't be awkward at all.

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
if this is true, pretty good move by the Nets I'm not saying Avery Johnson is the best coach out there to coach the Nets, but it's not like he isn't any good. I mean he isn't the one the lost in the past, the players are. Coaches are just the blame when stuff doesn't go right. So good move by the Nets.

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
After Devin was traded, he said he was glad to be away from Avery. This won't be awkward at all.

Devin was also on one of the worst teams last year, I'm sure if Nets think Avery will help them win Devin wouldn't be crying about it

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

His contract isn't up until next season, dumbass.

I'm not shocked it took Avery two years, an assload of failed interviews, and a ton of groveling and publicly begging for jobs on ESPN for him to finally have some sucker fall for his trap.

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM

:lol but after he got fired, Avery claimed Devin was like a son to him, and that he coached him into an 18/10 point guard!

06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
apparently they have a verbal agreement now. good choice IMO for the nets. they get a young coach with finals experience to lure free agents over. devin harris may be on his way out though.

z0sa
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
The best coach in Mavericks franchise history should love reuniting with Harris.

Greg Oden
06-09-2010, 04:20 PM
The best coach in Mavericks franchise history should love reuniting with Harris.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Like even the slightest clue?

Man About Town
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
But that deal hasn't expired yet, has it?

One year left on his deal. He wants to get back into coaching and he's gotten plenty of money from Cuban the last two years for doing nothing.

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
apparently they have a verbal agreement now. good choice IMO for the nets. they get a young coach with finals experience to lure free agents over. devin harris may be on his way out though.

Harris could be on this way out yes, but it's not like Harris wouldn't take Avery as a coach so either way I think it could work out, he actually wanted him to be NJ's coach

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/04/devin-harris-preferred-coach-avery-johnson/

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
The best coach in Mavericks franchise history

That says more about the coaches the Mavs have had than it does about Avery.

Avery is good in small doses, but he's not a long term solution as a HC. He's all rah-rah and fire & brimstone, but he's not great at X's and O's. He's a great motivator, but his Napoleon act and need to be in complete control also wears on the team pretty quickly. I think New Jersey is a terrible fit because the players will get sick of him and tune him out long before the team gets competitive.

tbh Cleveland would have been perfect for Avery. They're already close to being championship caliber, and the team needs a jolt and a commander like Avery.

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
One year left on his deal. He wants to get back into coaching and he's gotten plenty of money from Cuban the last two years for doing nothing.

He's wanted to get back into coaching from Day 1 that he got fired. He immediately started campaigning for the Detroit and Chicago jobs. He's been publicly campaigning for jobs every year. This year his public begging annoyed Philly and New Orleans so much that they actually removed him as a candidate because of it.

The Russian dude who licks Cuban's balls fell into the trap. I wouldn't be shocked if Mark gave a great recommendation for Avery to have the job :lol

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Avery is good in small doses, but he's not a long term solution as a HC. His Napoleon act wears on the team pretty quickly. I think New Jersey is a terrible fit because the players will get sick of him and tune him out long before the team gets competitive.

I have to disagree I think Avery isn't a good fit for NJ, but he is not terrible. Nets need a coach that can kind of lead them if they don't do what they need to do and I mean Avery benched Kidd, so he can be the guy the Nets need to get the players playing

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
The Russian dude who licks Cuban's balls

I think you got the Russian dude mixed up with Dirk, because Porky hasn't licked Cuban's balls:lol

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Nets need a coach that can kind of lead them if they don't do what they need to do and I mean Avery benched Kidd, so he can be the guy the Nets need to get the players playing

Avery benching Kidd was one of the worst coaching decisions of his career and he got roasted for it. That's a terrible example to use as for why Avery would be a good coach in NJ.

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I think you got the Russian dude mixed up with Dirk, because Porky hasn't licked Cuban's balls:lol

stop posting.

Man About Town
06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The best coach in Mavericks franchise history

Third-best:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/510371766_0b45fc146b_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/509330037_1b7f2c98fd_o.jpg

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
stop posting.

no thanks, but thanks for asking:toast

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
tbh I'll take Avery over Nellie any day. The Mavs would never be serious title contenders with Nellie. They needed someone like Avery to push them into contention.

It all depends on what kind of coach you need. Nellie is more of an innovator and talent evaluator that works better making bad teams good, Avery is more of a motivator that makes already good teams great.

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
The Mavs would never be serious title contenders with Nellie. They needed someone like Avery to push them into contention.

And the Nets need someone like Avery, so it's a good move for them:toast

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
And the Nets need someone like Avery, so it's a good move for them:toast

The Nets need someone who can work with and develop young talent, something Avery is terrible at.

Man About Town
06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
tbh I'll take Avery over Nellie any day. The Mavs would never be serious title contenders with Nellie. They needed someone like Avery to push them into contention.

It all depends on what kind of coach you need. Nellie is more of an innovator and talent evaluator that works better making bad teams good, Avery is more of a motivator that makes already good teams great.

Avery could never build a team from the ground up the way Nellie could. He doesn't have the vision, the eye for talent, or the ability to teach like Nellie.

Nellie, on the other hand, probably can't get a team over the finish line. He's in Colonel Kurtz mode these days, but he built the Bucks, Warriors and Mavericks into really good teams. I don't think Avery could do that. Nelson lost a power struggle in New York when Ewing didn't want to stop being "The Man", but that in my opinion shouldn't count against him. And let's not forget that he coached circles around Avery in 2007.

Avery was exactly what the Mavs needed in 2005 with his commitment to defense after Nellie was mailing it in, but I don't think he's a great coach by any means. He inherited a very talented roster and to his credit for about a 2-year period he maximized the returns from that talent. He'll get a chance to prove that he can build a program if he takes over in Jersey.

lurker
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
:lol but after he got fired, Avery claimed Devin was like a son to him, and that he coached him into an 18/10 point guard!
What father wouldn't sell his son for a middle aged woman abuser?

21_Blessings
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
The Mavs will never be serious title contenders with Dirk as the 1st option

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
The Nets aren't going to win anything with Harris on the team anyways IMO..he takes up too many possessions, he's inefficient, doesn't spread the floor(since they're gonna need to acquire 1 or 2 big names to have the ball in their hands IMO, along with Lopez), and his defense has taken a huge dive since joining the Nets..

Their best hope is to acquire big-name talent to be their main options, and it won't work with Harris on the team with them..

Bukefal
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM

:rollin

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
What father wouldn't sell his son for a middle aged woman abuser?

actually from all the thing I hear, Avery didn't want to trade Harris for Kidd, he prob knew Kidd wasn't going to solve the problem there:toast

BUMP
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Avery could never build a team from the ground up the way Nellie could. He doesn't have the vision, the eye for talent, or the ability to teach like Nellie.

Nellie, on the other hand, probably can't get a team over the finish line. He's in Colonel Kurtz mode these days, but he built the Bucks, Warriors and Mavericks into really good teams. I don't think Avery could do that. Nelson lost a power struggle in New York when Ewing didn't want to stop being "The Man", but that in my opinion shouldn't count against him. And let's not forget that he coached circles around Avery in 2007.

Avery was exactly what the Mavs needed in 2005 with his commitment to defense after Nellie was mailing it in, but I don't think he's a great coach by any means. He inherited a very talented roster and to his credit for about a 2-year period he maximized the returns from that talent. He'll get a chance to prove that he can build a program if he takes over in Jersey.

That's a good point I agree about Nelson in the fact that he is good at building shitty franchises into borderline contenders. He's done that multiple times with multiple teams.

But with Avery its a little unfair to say he can't build a team from scratch. He's only had one small coaching gig. He did very well with a talented roster but he made them better than they already were. Now that he has his chance to build up a bad team by himself we can make better judgement on him as a coach

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM

The Nets need someone who can work with and develop young talent, something Avery is terrible at.

how do you know Avery is terrible at that? Have you since him coach since he coached the Mavs? I sure haven't maybe he has learned from then, people do that you do know:toast. You won't know what he can do when coaching the Nets till he does it.

Roddy Beaubois
06-09-2010, 04:59 PM

+1. Not a good hire imho.
But from a mavfan perspective, maybe this makes Cubes a little more open to firing prick, considering he will no longer be forced to have 3 coaches on payroll.

lurker
06-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Avery asked for a point guard (meaning, "trade my son") and he was completely on board with the Kidd trade. It wasn't until it became obvious that the trade was a fail and his ass was fired that he started trying to distance himself from it. He threw everyone in the Mavs organization under the bus after he got fired, which is probably one of the reasons why it's taken his ass so long to find another sucker to hire him. It's not a good look when you go out there and try to take all the credit for any success your team has had yet put all the blame for the failures on the players.

lurker
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
+1. Not a good hire imho.
But from a mavfan perspective, maybe this makes Cubes a little more open to firing prick, considering he will no longer be forced to have 3 coaches on payroll.
I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I should be thanking that russian gangsta for taking Avery off Cuban's hands.

sribb43
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
So when the Nets trade Devin will Avery come out and say he never wanted to trade him :lmao

Agloco
06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Avery Johnson, to be their new head coach.

Sooooo, they're good for 25 wins this year?

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 05:25 PM
It's not a good look when you go out there and try to take all the credit for any success your team has had yet put all the blame for the failures on the players.

I agree not good when you take all the credit for the success your team has and blame the failures on the players, but then again the coaches aren't playing so they aren't losing, wasn't Avery's fault Dirk, Kidd, etc couldn't win with him as a coach, just like Frank when he coached the Nets wasn't his fault Brook, Devin etc couldn't win. Coaches are the easy ones to blame when a team loses:toast

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 05:27 PM
So when the Nets trade Devin will Avery come out and say he never wanted to trade him :lmao

well hopefully the Nets won't be stupid and try to get Kidd back again:lol, they'd be worse

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
He did very well with a talented roster but he made them better than they already were.

I agree he took the Mavs to a level Don Nelson could never take them, but did he really make the team better? He got them to pay attention on defense, that's about it.

Was Dirk better because of Avery? Was Jet? Howard got better under Avery, then his complete freefall happened under Avery as well.

Marquis Daniels regressed under Avery. Dampier never played well under Avery, but that's hardly Avery's fault. Diop had one good year under Avery, which was motivated more by money than anything else. Devin Harris played well but never played to his potential under Avery.

I don't see how Avery did anything to develop the talent on the roster. He was great at motivating the team and getting them to buy into his defensive philosophy for a couple years, but I personally think Avery is a horrible hire by New Jersey. He won't develop any of that young talent.

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
well here's what other Net fans think
http://www.nets247.com/forum/index.php?topic=13614.0

and Nets 24/7 actually has smart fans unlike other Net pages

monosylab1k
06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
well here's what other Net fans think
http://www.nets247.com/forum/index.php?topic=13614.0

and Nets 24/7 actually has smart fans unlike other Net pages

Does The Situation post there?

lurker
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
If the rest of the Nets fans think the way basketballgirl25 does, Avery is going to love it there. No criticism since the coach obviously has no importance to a team.

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
basketballgirl25 vs. Mav fans is honestly one of the better rivalries on ST..she's like the anti-koriwhat..

Blake
06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I wonder if this new owner knows how to speak Avery

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
If the rest of the Nets fans think the way basketballgirl25 does, Avery is going to love it there. No criticism since the coach obviously has no importance to a team.

Well I'm sure after coaching Dirk he'd love it anywhere:lol

Basketballgirl25
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
basketballgirl25 vs. Mav fans is honestly one of the better rivalries on ST..she's like the anti-koriwhat..

it's all for fun, I really don't mean what I say half the time just like to make it fun you know. I forget all this stuff when I get off the computer, glad to help make it fun though:lol

Greg Oden
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM

lmao. true.

panic giraffe
06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I wonder if this new owner knows how to speak Avery

"vaht es des shicken end greeets vue speek hov"

BUMP
06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree he took the Mavs to a level Don Nelson could never take them, but did he really make the team better? He got them to pay attention on defense, that's about it.

Was Dirk better because of Avery? Was Jet? Howard got better under Avery, then his complete freefall happened under Avery as well.

Marquis Daniels regressed under Avery. Dampier never played well under Avery, but that's hardly Avery's fault. Diop had one good year under Avery, which was motivated more by money than anything else. Devin Harris played well but never played to his potential under Avery.

I don't see how Avery did anything to develop the talent on the roster. He was great at motivating the team and getting them to buy into his defensive philosophy for a couple years, but I personally think Avery is a horrible hire by New Jersey. He won't develop any of that young talent.

To answer your questions i think he made most of the team better especially Dirk. I think he was instrumental in turning Dirk into a superstar vs just a talented individual scorer with Nelson. Part of it was Steve Nash leaving but in 04-05 it was clearly Dirk's team. He had his two best scoring years in Avery's first two years. I'll say half of it was Nash leaving, half because of Avery.

For the record, I don't think New Jersey was the best spot for him either. I think he would've been a perfect fit for Atlanta. A team with the talent that needed motivation and an attention to defense. Almost exact same situation with Dallas. Only problem is that Joe Johnson is most likely bolting and that probably will be the end of their success.

panic giraffe
06-09-2010, 07:47 PM
honestly i think this has all been a smart calculated move by avery.

i mean he got to collect cubans money while earning a espn paycheck and probably pastoring a church or two...

i'm not saying he didn't have a hard time looking for work, but who hasn't purposely fucked up an interview before when you realize you don't want a job?

here's my thoughts of what avery's thoughts were...

detroit "trading away all the talent, would have have to rebuild, plus too many muslims"

chicago "hmmm...maybe, wait, once those kids develop and realize they have talent that's going to be lockerroom clusterfuck of ego. no."

philly "just no."

nola "hmmm homestate cooking? nah fuck that paul kid, if he asked for a trade it would be dallas all over again"

dallas "ha. already got the paycheck"

new jersey "hmmm...33% shot at having the 2nd best player in the league, rich russian would be willing to shell out a cuban style contract who will also buy insane talent for me to pretend to coach....plus i can preach to the heathens in brooklyn. all win, make it happen."

BUMP
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
panic giraffe? :lol