PDA

View Full Version : Something's Foul about these Finals

tlongII
06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2010/06/something_foul.html

from the Boston Globe...

It's official, the 2010 NBA Finals have become the whistle-stop tour, and we have Phil Jackson's public posturing to thank for it.

I don't think officiating is why the Celtics lost Game 3 last night to go down two games to one to the Lakers. That had a lot more to do with another slow start for Paul Pierce, Ray Allen's 0-fer, and Derek Fisher's fourth-quarter heroics.

Yet, it would be gross negligence at this point to fail to mention the impact officiating is having on the series. Jackson is a master motivator of players and master manipulator of officials.

He is like Obi-Wan Kenobi when it comes to planting a thought in the collective conscious of the whistle-blowers. He did it before the Lakers played Oklahoma City, talking about the favorable treatment Kevin Durant got. Before the Western Conference finals he intimated that Steve Nash gets away with palming the basketball. The idea he pushed before the series was that the Celtics were a knock-down, drag-out, WWE outfit. He called them a "smackdown" team.

It is merely a coincidence then that a member of the Big Three has been saddled with foul difficulty in each of the first three contests? In Game 1 it was Ray Allen, who was taken out of his rhythm with five fouls. In Game 2, it was Kevin Garnett with five personals. Last night, Pierce had the honors, as he accumulated five fouls.

Pierce started off 0-5 from the field for the second straight game, and is clearly off his game. He was also out of the game for long stretches.

"You know. Paul never got a rhythm," said Celtics coach Doc Rivers. "Every time he came on the floor, another whistle blows and he had to sit down. He was completely taken out of the game by the foul calls. I'll give [Ron] Artest credit when he deserves it, but today it was more that Paul Pierce had to sit on the bench. He'd play five minutes, have to go back down four minutes have to sit. I mean he wasn't allowed to play. They didn't allow him to play tonight."

Rivers went on to say that the Lakers getting foul calls on Pierce "was their best play."

Ouch, Doc.

Now, in fairness it should be pointed out that Lakers players have encountered some foul trouble too. The referees deigned to call five fouls on Kobe Bryant in Game 2, which is virtually hoops heresy. Of course there was a better chance of Kobe garnering an Emmy for his appearance on "Modern Family" than of being fouled out in a Finals game.

Perhaps, the most egregious call or non-call of the series was Ray Allen colliding with Kobe chest-to-chest on a fast-break lay-up late in Game 2. The officials swallowed their whistles so hard as Allen thudded to the floor that the Heimlich Maneuver couldn't have dislodged them.

The Lakers shot 41 free throws in Game 2 to Boston's 26.

After that game, Philosopher Phil critiqued and tweaked the officials. "I wasn't happy with those calls," said Jackson.

Of course he wasn't. When is he ever? Phil was working it once again, and it worked.

There is really nothing Rivers can do about it, except try to cry foul over Jackson's politicking.

"I'm just miffed and amazed how the other team complained about the fouls since we've been the team that's been in foul trouble for two games," Rivers said prior to Game 3. "Maybe they do different math there or something. I don't get that one."

Let's do some math of our own.

The Celtics were the home team last night, which is usually an NBA euphemism for the team that will get the calls, and while each team went to the free throw line 24 times, the Celtics were called for seven more fouls than their West Coast counterparts (27-20) by Messrs. Danny Crawford, Bennett Salvatore and Bill Kennedy.

Through the first three games of the series, the Lakers have taken 10 more free throws than the Celtics (96 to 86) and been whistled for nine fewer personal fouls (75 to Boston's 84).

The Celtics averaged 22.1 fouls per game during the regular season. Coming into this series, the Celtics were averaging 24.5 fouls per game in the playoffs. They've been called for 28 per game in the first three games of this series. The Lakers were averaging 23.6 fouls per game prior to the Finals. They've been called for 25 fouls per game in this series.

So, the Celtics foul average has increased by 3.5 fouls and the Lakers by about 1.5. That's what we call a discretion discrepancy.

Not surprisingly, the Lakers don't see it that way.

"I don't know, man, the referees they're calling it tight on both parts. They're reffing it fair I think," said Artest, the only player to foul out so far in the series.

"I thought they called it fair. Even in Game 2, I thought they kind of called it fair. [It's] not just because we won, even when we lost I thought they called it fair. Sometimes you can be frustrated with the referees, but it's a hard game to call. Both teams are complaining all the time, so something's got to be either right or wrong, but I know both teams are complaining the whole time."

Some are going to want to bring up the three replays last night. I went back and watched each of the out of bounds replays -- all of which came in the final 1:29 -- and to the crew's credit they got them all correct. On the last one, following a missed Pierce free throw, Rajon Rondo actually fouled Lamar Odom, forcing the ball out of bounds.

For once, there was no call and the Celtics got the ball. Should have been Odom at the free throw line.

The Celtics can't blame the officials for being down 2-1 in this series. They have to play better, but something definitely smells a little foul about Jackson's public pleas to the referees and their results.

DJ Mbenga
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
lol the article should have said "im about to give you some numbers that are irrelevant because i will conclude they dont matter

Ashy Larry
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Some are going to want to bring up the three replays last night. I went back and watched each of the out of bounds replays -- all of which came in the final 1:29 -- and to the crew's credit they got them all correct. On the last one, following a missed Pierce free throw, Rajon Rondo actually fouled Lamar Odom, forcing the ball out of bounds.

For once, there was no call and the Celtics got the ball. Should have been Odom at the free throw line.

The Celtics can't blame the officials for being down 2-1 in this series. They have to play better, but something definitely smells a little foul about Jackson's public pleas to the referees and their results.

I hope Doc sent that one into the league office too ........

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Eh, sounds like sour milk to me. The Celtics and Lakers have both been hit with crappy fouls throughout all 3 games.

The way all 3 have been called is pretty cruddy, but if there's been any favoritism, it's marginal at best, and definitely not to the point where it's affected the game too much for either side.

Ashy Larry
06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Eh, sounds like sour milk to me. The Celtics and Lakers have both been hit with crappy fouls throughout all 3 games.

The way all 3 have been called is pretty cruddy, but if there's been any favoritism, it's marginal at best, and definitely not to the point where it's affected the game too much for either side.

basically ..... game three was probably the best officiated game so far. The fouls on many of the players, especially the stars have been awful and I loved when Chuck called the officiating mediocre at best.

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
The officiating has sucked on both sides, some of the worst officiating I've ever seen, but it has definitely favored LA IMO..

Lakers are allowed to play a lot more physical on D IMO..

Agloco
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM

The Lakers shot 41 free throws in Game 2 to Boston's 26.

After that game, Philosopher Phil critiqued and tweaked the officials. "I wasn't happy with those calls," said Jackson.

Of course he wasn't. When is he ever? Phil was working it once again, and it worked.

:rolleyes

LakerHater
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
And now they have Bill Kennedy for game 3, the man infamous for a supposed bias against the Boston Celtics.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4930/6thman.jpg

Agloco
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
And now they have Bill Kennedy for game 3, the man infamous for a supposed bias against the Boston Celtics.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4930/6thman.jpg

:lol :tu

Giuseppe
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Put a gag order on the pool of playoff refs after the regular season ends until the culmination of The Finals.

In essence they're professional jurists.

jag
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
When the refs call it tight, fans and the media want the refs to "let them play." When the refs finally start letting them play, like during the second half last night, the players and fans are outraged at the lack of calls.

Sisk
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
When the refs call it tight, fans and the media want the refs to "let them play." When the refs finally start letting them play, like during the second half last night, the players and fans are outraged at the lack of calls.

With a sport that is dictated by the refs more than any other sport, this is to be expected

cobbler
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
The officiating has sucked on both sides, some of the worst officiating I've ever seen, but it has definitely favored LA IMO..

You're a moron and your opinion is just pathetic! :toast

Obsessed!

cobbler
06-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Agreed 100%. Just shitty both ways. While the article was correct in noting that one of the big 3 was in trouble in each of the games and that Kobe was as well in one game, he made is sound like its a 1 vs 3 thing. Odom barely played in the first 2 games.

Anyway, I totally agree with your post. Crappy calls both ways and not much favoritism either way. They are definetly ruining the flow of the game.

silverblk mystix
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM

this is obvious...

gasol & kobe are protected beyond belief----GASOL!...GASOL!...

the best thing to happen to gasols game was to just put on a laker uniform---it AUTOMATICALLY gives him an extra 5-10 free throws---PER GAME!

and on defense...gasol and bynum can get away with murder---no call!

fuck the NBA

cobbler
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
this is obvious...

gasol & kobe are protected beyond belief----GASOL!...GASOL!...

the best thing to happen to gasols game was to just put on a laker uniform---it AUTOMATICALLY gives him an extra 5-10 free throws---PER GAME!

and on defense...gasol and bynum can get away with murder---no call!

fuck the NBA

How cute! One idiot supporting another. :toast

DPG21920
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
You're a moron and your opinion is just pathetic! :toast

Obsessed!

You are obsessed with following him around and defending any and all things LA.

Shank
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Gee, that's too bad.

cobbler
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
You are obsessed with following him around and defending any and all things LA.

Following him around? :lol

These are Laker threads. My team is in the finals. I read the threads.

Giving Harlem the ole reach around yet again DPG?

... and why do you care?

I guess you must still be butthurt over being SWEPT BY THE FRIGGEN SUNS! :bang

DPG21920
06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Following him around? :lol

These are Laker threads. My team is in the finals. I read the threads.

Giving Harlem the ole reach around yet again DPG?

... and why do you care?

I guess you must still be butthurt over being SWEPT BY THE FRIGGEN SUNS! :bang

Damn, bro. Sick burn! You don't read threads, you go into them, spout of the dumbest stuff, tell everyone else they are wrong and then make unfunny jokes.

Yes, you follow HH around and call him Chris Richards and say "Obsessed" to him every time he posts about LA.

To top it all off, you are a hypocrite of the highest order. LOL if any one on here is "obsessed" with anything, it is you with following people around and defending the Lakers.

Why are you so self conscious? If your team is so good, just let it be instead of being that annoying guy.

Giuseppe
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Well, I see you're still on the rag, DPG.

cobbler
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Damn, bro. Sick burn! You don't read threads, you go into them, spout of the dumbest stuff, tell everyone else they are wrong and then make unfunny jokes.

Yes, you follow HH around and call him Chris Richards and say "Obsessed" to him every time he posts about LA.

To top it all off, you are a hypocrite of the highest order. LOL if any one on here is "obsessed" with anything, it is you with following people around and defending the Lakers.

Why are you so self conscious? If your team is so good, just let it be instead of being that annoying guy.

Harlem/Chris/Miami post non stop with their anti Laker BS. Why would you find it odd that I, a lifelong Laker fan, would feel the need to retort? And yet you feel the need now to comment every time I point out their obsession with the Laker hate. So it seems you are every bit the hypocrite you call me. Classic!

I am not self conscious at all. I am a Laker fan. A Laker homer. I support my team and defend them even to a fault. If I annoy you, let me give you a simple piece of advice... don't read my posts. It's a simple concept. Certainly, if you don't posess the self control to do so, then simply use the ignore button.

cobbler
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, I see you're still on the rag, DPG.

In his defense Cully, can you blame him? I cannot think of anything more devistating than being swept out of the playoffs by the Suns. It couldn't possibly get any worse.

Giuseppe
06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
In his defense Cully, can you blame him? I cannot think of anything more devistating than being swept out of the playoffs by the Suns. It couldn't possibly get any worse.

Yes, it wasn't that long ago we were on the shitty end of that stick. Not swept of course, but, unceremoniously dumped out the door like that snaggle puss that throws "Fred Flintstone" out the front door in the ending credits of "The Flintstones."

Poor DPG, come to Cubby, for a nice hug, youngster. C'mon, bring it in.

DPG21920
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Harlem/Chris/Miami post non stop with their anti Laker BS. Why would you find it odd that I, a lifelong Laker fan, would feel the need to retort? And yet you feel the need now to comment every time I point out their obsession with the Laker hate. So it seems you are every bit the hypocrite you call me. Classic!

I am not self conscious at all. I am a Laker fan. A Laker homer. I support my team and defend them even to a fault. If I annoy you, let me give you a simple piece of advice... don't read my posts. It's a simple concept. Certainly, if you don't posess the self control to do so, then simply use the ignore button.

You are really in the running for worst poster. No joke.

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM

They only "let them play" in comaparison to the first two games. :lol

Still a high number of fouls and calls. Less horrible than the first two games, but not great, and inconsistent to boot.

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Koolaid Man says hi.

TheManFromAcme
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Koolaid Man says hi.

:lol

cobbler
06-09-2010, 07:47 PM

OMG... I am so crushed. Whatever will I do? :whine

DPG21920
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Koolaid Man says hi.

Koolaid Girl is a troll. This guy is being serious when he says what he does. Crazy.

He is like that annoying hall monitor in middle school that takes his job way too serious.

cobbler
06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Koolaid Girl is a troll. This guy is being serious when he says what he does. Crazy.

He is like that annoying hall monitor in middle school that takes his job way too serious.

OBSESSED! :lol

DPG21920
06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
At least that was funny :lol

cobbler
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
At least that was funny :lol

Thanks!

Look, everytime Harlem/Chris/Miami post their redundant hater shit I am going to send it back. If that bothers you then I really don't know what to say. That you think I am a terrible poster means absolutely nothing to me. If you want to talk basketball or have a conversation then no problem. If you want to cuddle with your boys and give me shit for my retorts to them then no problem a well. I really find it comical and could care less.

Greg Oden
06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
lol at the list of worst posters on ST being laker fans. not really a coincidence.

SomeCallMeTim
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
They only "let them play" in comaparison to the first two games. :lol

Still a high number of fouls and calls. Less horrible than the first two games, but not great, and inconsistent to boot.

It has been terrible. Both ways. So many botched calls. It seems pretty much everyone agrees "too many whistles" but for some reason the officials don't seem to share that view.

Do they get some sort of bonus for hitting a whistle quota?

BTW this piece was written pretty much the same by an LA journalist 2 years ago. Where there are tightly contested sporting events, there are whine pieces.

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
LOL @ DPG killing Gobbler..everybody has been e-ganging up on him lately, it's sad..it's about time that people notice how bad of a poster he is though, although I realize he's irrelevant here..

The funny thing about Gobbler is that he calls me obsessed for some reason(even though the majority of my Kobe-related posts are in reply to a thread or post about Kobe), yet he's clearly obsessed with me..he literally quotes the majority of my posts on the NBA forum..

When I make an argument against him, which is often, I use stats/facts, then he has the balls to criticize me for using them, while he makes his usual horrible arguments using personal insults and unquantifiable attributes..

The worst posters on SpursTalk are Gobbler, milkshakeballa, PGDynasty, Blessings and namlook..it would be extremely tough to crack that top 5 IMO..not a coincidence at all that they're all Laker fans..

TD 21
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
The officiating has been bad, but the real story here is despite the media propping this up as a glamorous matchup, the reality is the current version's of the Celtics and the Lakers don't play a glamorous style. If these were the exact two teams, but it was Pistons and the Spurs, we'd be hearing constant talk about how ugly these games are, but it's Celtics and Lakers, so it's all on the officiating.

cobbler
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
LOL @ DPG killing Gobbler..everybody has been e-ganging up on him lately, it's sad..it's about time that people notice how bad of a poster he is though, although I realize he's irrelevant here..

The funny thing about Gobbler is that he calls me obsessed for some reason(even though the majority of my Kobe-related posts are in reply to a thread or post about Kobe), yet he's clearly obsessed with me..he literally quotes the majorityof my posts on the NBA forum..

When I make an argument against him, which is often, I use stats/facts, then he has the balls to criticize me for using them, while he makes his usual horrible arguments using personal insults and unquantifiable attributes..

The worst posters on SpursTalk are Gobbler, milkshakeballa, PGDynasty, Blessings and namlook..it would be extremely tough to crack that top 5 IMO..not a coincidence at all that they're all Laker fans..

So irrelevant here... and yet here you are talking about me. :lmao

And you are correct (a blind dog finds a bone every once in awhile)... it's no coincidence that YOU consider the Lakers fans the worst posters because you are...

OBSESSED!!!!

LOL @ the post critic! Do you have any advanced stats to support your critiques? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

milkshakeballa
06-09-2010, 09:54 PM

The funny thing about Gobbler is that he calls me obsessed for some reason(even though the majority of my Kobe-related posts are in reply to a thread or post about Kobe), yet he's clearly obsessed with me..he literally quotes the majority of my posts on the NBA forum..

LULZ. FUCK YE.

:toast:toast:toast 2 me.

milkshakeballa
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

99% of posters here on ST would fucking draft me over you 10 out of 10 times if they were drafting an ST posting team.

And the 1% that would pick you over me are the same ones that would have drafted Kwame first.

BITCH.

You couldn't even COMPREHEND me breaking down a game with my basketball knowledge son.

I have forgotten more than you will ever know nigga.

Come at me bro.

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
You couldn't even COMPREHEND me breaking down a game with my basketball knowledge son.

I don't think I could comprehend it either, to be honest. I can barely comprehend most of your posts.

Giuseppe
06-09-2010, 11:37 PM
What I can't understand is Jammie has some gd prestigious award on on his moniker area now.

That SOB.

Chieflion
06-10-2010, 12:34 AM
99% of posters here on ST would fucking draft me over you 10 out of 10 times if they were drafting an ST posting team.

And the 1% that would pick you over me are the same ones that would have drafted Kwame first.

BITCH.

I have forgotten more than you will ever know nigga.

Come at me bro.

Sad thing is you actually believe what you are posting.

HarlemHeat37
06-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I don't think I could comprehend it either, to be honest. I can barely comprehend most of your posts.

:rollin

Sad thing is you actually believe what you are posting.

:lol