PDA

View Full Version : Izzo giving Cavs offer some consideration

Flintstones32
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

He did not flat out refuse them, told the team he has a lot of thinking to do.

In the end I don't think he takes it but would have thought he would have politely told them no right away.

Baseline
06-10-2010, 01:02 AM
No way LeBron plays for a college coach. It's just not smart.

Dan Gilbert is a total idiot. If I'm LeBron, I'm sprinting out of Cleveland right now.

Giuseppe
06-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Base of late doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, but, the haze lifted and he got this one correct.

Agloco
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
No way LeBron plays for a college coach. It's just not smart.

Dan Gilbert is a total idiot. If I'm LeBron, I'm sprinting out of Cleveland right now.

I'm thinking that Gilbert would have asked for LeBrons input as to which coach he'd like to see on the bench next to him. He's just plain dumb if he hasn't done that already.

duncan228
06-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Cleveland Interviews Byron Scott While Waiting for Tom Izzo (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/10/cleveland-interviews-byron-scott-while-waiting-for-tom-izzo/)
By Sam Amick

Byron Scott had an hour-long phone interview with Cleveland general manager Chris Grant and assistant general manager Lance Blanks today, according to his agent.

Brian McInerney, who has represented Scott for more than 20 years, exclusively told FanHouse that the discussion focused on Scott's championship pedigree and how it might fit with a Cavaliers organization that will continue to pursue a title with or without LeBron James. There were no future plans made for another interview or conversation, in part because of the looming issue of what Tom Izzo will do.

The Michigan State coach was in Cleveland on Thursday (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/10/tom-izzo-visits-with-cavaliers/) to meet with Cavs officials and tour the team's facility. While Izzo has reportedly been offered the job, it's clear Cleveland is considering other options while it remains unclear what Izzo will do. McInerney said Izzo was not discussed.

Scott's appeal is simple, as he won three championships with the Lakers as a player and had much postseason success as a coach. His New Jersey Nets team went to the Finals in 2002 and 2003, and his New Orleans Hornets made a surprise run to the Western Conference semifinals in 2008. The winning history was the main topic discussed in the interview that was heavy on coaching philosophy, according to McInerney.

"They asked him what his view was on championships, talked about his mentality that you either win or you come home on your shield trying," McInerney said. "That being said, everything (information-wise) should go through the team."

After earning the Coach of the Year award for the 2007-08 campaign, Scott was fired nine games into last season. His credibility among some of the game's best players is surely helping him, too, as Scott remains very close with Hornets point guard Chris Paul, former Lakers teammate Kobe Bryant and may be on his way to improving his relationship with James.

FanHouse learned that the Cavs star and free-agent-to-be inquired about Scott to Paul weeks ago, a possible indication that James has interest in Scott as his coach either for the Cavs or elsewhere. James is believed to prefer to play under a coach who has played in the league.

The question of whether Scott would take the job without James on the roster remains without an answer as well. The Inglewood, Calif. native has been known to have a strong preference to stay on the West Coast, having lost touch with so many family and friends through the years coaching in New Jersey and Louisiana. As evidenced by his past coaching contracts (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/21/byron-scott-watches-waits-to-get-back-in-the-game/), his dream job is to take over for Lakers coach Phil Jackson (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/21/byron-scott-watches-waits-to-get-back-in-the-game/) when he moves on. But that is far from a certainty, especially if the Lakers repeat and Jackson takes on the challenge of adding a 12th title to his resume.

The sun doesn't shine nearly as much in Cleveland, but Scott could very well find himself in a job with a bright future should the Cavs hire him and not Izzo and James returns.

duncan228
06-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Izzo measuring James’ possible return (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-izzocavs061310)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

As Michigan State’s Tom Izzo tries to make a decision on the Cleveland Cavaliers’ coaching job, much of his uneasiness centers on just how frayed the franchise’s relationship with LeBron James has become, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As for his questions about where Cleveland’s organization stands with James, one source said Izzo “isn’t even sure who has a relationship with [James].”

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert has tried to be positive with Izzo about the team’s chances of re-signing James this summer, but little in Izzo’s own research has given him much tangible comfort about that likelihood. Sources say Izzo has listened to the front office’s plans should they keep James – or lose him – but he needs to feel confident about how the franchise will handle both scenarios.

The Cavs haven’t forced a timetable on Izzo to make a decision on their five-year, $30 million offer, but it’s expected he won’t take too long to make his choice over the weekend.

The transition from the Cavs’ former general manager Danny Ferry to Ferry’s successor Chris Grant has come at a difficult time to undertake Izzo’s recruitment. For Izzo to leave Michigan State, he needs to see stability in the front office, and that’s harder with the removal one of the NBA’s most respected executives.

Nevertheless, Izzo believes in Gilbert and could see himself working for him, sources said. Gilbert recruited Izzo directly.

An NBA executive who has talked to Izzo says one frustration that could be pushing Izzo toward the NBA is that Michigan State hasn’t been able to elevate its recruiting into the national elite of the North Carolinas and Dukes, despite reaching six Final Fours and winning a national title under him. Izzo had hoped the Spartans’ success would feed off itself and he’d have an easier time attracting more top players than he does.

“I think it’s frustrating to Tom that despite all he’s done there, he still has to really grind to get kids,” the NBA source said.

Pistons < Spurs
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
PDcavsinsider

Source: LeBron James would approve of Tom Izzo's hiring as #Cavs coach. "100 percent" high-placed source tells PD.

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Izzo has a press conference scheduled for sometime tonight.

Edit: sounds like it's at 7:00 tonight.

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
And now they're saying there's no presser tonight... :lol

The_Dude
06-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Izzo is staying at MSU, where he belongs.

The_Dude
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Izzo - "Just as I decided to stay home, I hope a certain 6'8" player decides to stay home also."