PDA

View Full Version : Source: CU already has Pac-10 invite

tlongII
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

A Big 12 football coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Wednesday night that if Nebraska left the Big 12 the conference would dissolve, according to his athletics director and university president. The coach said Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado would join the Pac-10, leaving Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State behind.

"Nebraska is the key," the coach said.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

Another Big 12 coach said Wednesday night that an anticipated Nebraska announcement of moving toward the Big Ten Thursday would indeed trigger the death of the Big 12 and a mass migration west.

"If Nebraska leaves," the coach said, "everyone has to look."

The new conference would be split into divisions with the Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

Events have unfolded very quickly, the Big 12 coach said.

"Until the last two days, everyone thought the Big 12 was staying intact," he said.

As quickly as the Big 12 has rushed to the brink of collapse, it could take quite some time for it to become formalized. The coach said the league will have to go on for two more years before splitting up.

Asked how awkward that would be, the coach joked, "I don't think I'll go to the conference meetings this year [Big 12 football media day in Dallas next month]."

The only potential hitch is Nebraska and the Big Ten not coming to an agreement. But even in that scenario, which appears unlikely, the Pac-10 will expand to at least 12 teams, said the source familiar with the negotiations. While Colorado is in and Utah is a top alternative candidate, it's also possible that the Pac-10 would make a play for Nebraska or another Big 12 school instead of Utah.

"If Nebraska gets left at the altar by the Big Ten, which would slight them at the 11th hour, then it might be hard for them to stay in the Big 12," the source said.

It would take a week to 10 days to finalize the details of a Pac-16. The blockbuster deal would add the nation's No. 5 (Dallas), No. 10 (Houston) and No. 16 (Denver) TV markets to the conference, which already includes No. 2 Los Angeles, No. 6 San Francisco, No. 12 Phoenix and No. 13 Seattle.

With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

The Big 12 distributed $7-12 million per year. The Pac-10 distributed $8-10 million.

Stump
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
They might as well leave now before a potential Baylor situation screws them over.

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
They might as well leave now before a potential Baylor situation screws them over.

Yep. If they do indeed have an offer, they better accept it ASAP.

TFloss32
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
It's official. Colorado is gone. Nebraska starts the domino effect.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
This whole baylor talk is stupid. Colorado has been the initial target for the pac 10 since last fall.

Colorado was the prime target according to the LA times.

UT fans need to get off their high horse and stop acting as if anyone gives a shit what you'll do or what leverage you have.

COLORADO IN FIRST BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about gtown buff

That just shows Colorado was the real target and Texas just tagged along

djohn2oo8
06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
This whole baylor talk is stupid. Colorado has been the initial target for the pac 10 since last fall.

Colorado was the prime target according to the LA times.

UT fans need to get off their high horse and stop acting as if anyone gives a shit what you'll do or what leverage you have.

COLORADO IN FIRST BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!

:lmao We'll see just how many recruits Colorado brings in

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about gtown buff

That just shows Colorado was the real target and Texas just tagged along

Colorado recieved the invite, and this pac 10 expansion has been talked about for years with Colorado being the main target along With UTah.

THe Pac 10 would get two big media markets in Denver and Salt Lake.

UT has not recieved an invite therefore lets not act like you were the main target.

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
:lmao we'll see just how many recruits colorado brings in

lol utsa!!!

djohn2oo8
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
lol utsa!!!

Who would still pull more recruits than CU :lmao

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Who would still pull more recruites than CU :lmao

with "pull" being a loose definition. :lmao

djohn2oo8
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
with "pull" being a loose definition. :lmao

CU would know about that, huh?

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
CU would know about that, huh?

CU has a National Championship. UTSA has a 4yr automotive tech degree.

djohn2oo8
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Cling to that once championship, before you were even born....

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Cling to that once championship, before you were even born....

that championship was 1990. Sorry UTSA, you don't know shit about college football being a UTSA fan. Whenever I need to inquire about intramural soccer, I'll call you.

tsb2000
06-10-2010, 06:04 PM

That takes me back... I wonder what Kordell Stewart is up to these days?

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Dude.. Utah will be next.

UT and the Big12 south has had no invites.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/06/pac-10_conference_call_held_co.html
Pac-10 expansion: Commissioner Larry Scott thrilled with Colorado, denies Oklahoma State report, says no other invitations issued
Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 2:00 PM Updated: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 3:27 PM
R.J. Rico, The Oregonian
Follow
Share this story
Story tools

View full sizeThe Associated Press
Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott

Pacific-10 Conference Commissioner Larry Scott, University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson, and University of Colorado–Boulder Chancellor Philip P. DiStefano held a conference call this afternoon to discuss the news that Colorado will be joining the Pac-10 in 2012.

Scott would not address specific scenarios that may see the Pac-10 continue to expand in the coming weeks.

Below are some of the comments Scott made during the 30-minute conference call.

This is a very exciting day for the Pac-10 Conference. We are just thrilled to be welcoming the University of Colorado. The Pac-10 has a very bright future [ahead of it].

We’ve been looking at Colorado for quite some time. It was clear to us that for any scenario, Colorado is a great fit... Under any circumstances we are thrilled to have Colorado be part of our conference.

Reaction to a report that Oklahoma State has accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10:

That would be news to me. No, that is not accurate.

On whether the Pac-10 will look to add more teams:
There are no assurances [that the Pac-10 will continue to expand past eleven teams]. No invitations have been issued.

On future expansion plans for Pac-10:
We are evaluating different options and waiting to see what might develop nationally before we decide what we might do next.

When the Pac-10 invited Colorado to join:
The first formal contact was on Tuesday after the [University of Colorado] Board of Regents met. That’s when an invitation was extended.

When the next move will be made by the Pac-10:
I can’t predict what kind of timing we might see here... Sometimes I’m having trouble predicting what is going to happen tomorrow.

The presidents and chancellors really have a bold vision for what they think the Pac-10 can be... The vision ultimately for being proactive, being innovative... stems from the vision of our presidents and chancellors.

-- R.J. Rico

tsb2000
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM
From your keyboard to God's ears, my friend!

Utah is abuzz right now because rumors are going around of a "major announcement" tomorrow. I sure hope that involves the Utes moving to the PAC 10 and ditching the minor leagues!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Is there seriously a UTSA fan talking shit to a legit D-1 school's fan about recruiting?

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Colorado recieved the invite, and this pac 10 expansion has been talked about for years with Colorado being the main target along With UTah.

THe Pac 10 would get two big media markets in Denver and Salt Lake.

UT has not recieved an invite therefore lets not act like you were the main target.

i like colorado a lot & i like gtown spur...but lets not get crazy (though i'm sure youre just ribbing), any conference would take t.u. and A&M.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I just don't want those blue field fatasses going to the Pac-10.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Colorado makes sense for the Pac10 regardless of what UT does. UT's entry is more desirable but has all kinds of strings (read: other schools) attached that have to be sorted out before anything is made official.

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 07:23 PM
IF utah is in tomorrow, forget about the UT to the Pac 10.

UT would not be advantageous to the Pac 10 from a competitive standpoint. UT has a whole state to itself, and would pry USC's recruits from it's hands 'specially with the new scandal.

The people who do not want UT to the Pac 10 are as follows.

USC
Arizona
Arizona St

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Can't deny that. I'd take a lesser Texas school that doesn't give UA an automatic loss every year, but I don't want a huge expansion to the Pac-16. Some people might disagree, but a 16 team conference with the Arizona teams in a South Western division with other non-coastal teams wouldn't be good. As much as it creates a connection to Texas recruits, it shuts off a connection to Cali recruits.

No one is thinking outside of football, but this change would kill any promise UA's basketball program still has. Miller had a terrible time trying to get California recruits last year, and this would basically seal any pipeline UA has to California basketball recruits, a pipeline that's been vital to their program's success.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

A Big 12 football coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Wednesday night that if Nebraska left the Big 12 the conference would dissolve, according to his athletics director and university president. The coach said Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado would join the Pac-10, leaving Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State behind.

"Nebraska is the key," the coach said.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

Another Big 12 coach said Wednesday night that an anticipated Nebraska announcement of moving toward the Big Ten Thursday would indeed trigger the death of the Big 12 and a mass migration west.

"If Nebraska leaves," the coach said, "everyone has to look."

The new conference would be split into divisions with the Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

Events have unfolded very quickly, the Big 12 coach said.

"Until the last two days, everyone thought the Big 12 was staying intact," he said.

As quickly as the Big 12 has rushed to the brink of collapse, it could take quite some time for it to become formalized. The coach said the league will have to go on for two more years before splitting up.

Asked how awkward that would be, the coach joked, "I don't think I'll go to the conference meetings this year [Big 12 football media day in Dallas next month]."

The only potential hitch is Nebraska and the Big Ten not coming to an agreement. But even in that scenario, which appears unlikely, the Pac-10 will expand to at least 12 teams, said the source familiar with the negotiations. While Colorado is in and Utah is a top alternative candidate, it's also possible that the Pac-10 would make a play for Nebraska or another Big 12 school instead of Utah.

"If Nebraska gets left at the altar by the Big Ten, which would slight them at the 11th hour, then it might be hard for them to stay in the Big 12," the source said.

It would take a week to 10 days to finalize the details of a Pac-16. The blockbuster deal would add the nation's No. 5 (Dallas), No. 10 (Houston) and No. 16 (Denver) TV markets to the conference, which already includes No. 2 Los Angeles, No. 6 San Francisco, No. 12 Phoenix and No. 13 Seattle.

With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

The Big 12 distributed $7-12 million per year. The Pac-10 distributed $8-10 million.

What is funny is that the big12 teams joining the pac-10 is like the best thing that could ever happen for this college football forum.

90% of conference smack on this forum is pac10/big12 smack

Tlong has been going on and on how Texas would be a 5th placer in the pac10 for years.

Revenge is soon at hand :smchode: