PDA

View Full Version : USC hit with 2 year ban from post-season!

tlongII
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
http://twitter.com/BFeldmanESPN

USC has been hit with a two-year post-season ban in addition to the loss of scholarships, among other penalties from the NCAA.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-09-2010, 11:07 PM
no wonder they want texas.....

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
wow :wow

IronMexican
06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Holy shit.

Marklar MM
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Well, at least the NCAA didn't let em off lightly. They will also lose over 20 scholarships and vacate the 2004 season.

Thompson
06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
So will current/future signed USC players be able to leave the program with no penalty (having to sit out a year before playing for another team) or does that rule only take effect in the 'death penalty?'

How much of a setback do you guys think this is for USC, especially if the Pac-16 happens? For example, in three years where do you imagine they will rank in the Pac-16, and which teams will they be looking up at?

"Hardest hit of all in the #USC sanctions: the incoming freshmen. The next recruiting class (2011) can say they'd redshirt the 2nd year out."

What exactly does this mean?

DesignatedT
06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
pete carroll was a genius!!

tlongII
06-10-2010, 12:27 AM
I think USC will be okay, but it definitely hurts in the short term. It might take them a couple of years to get back to prominence after they serve their penalty. This creates the Beavs best chance ever of getting to the Rose Bowl though! :tu

InRareForm
06-10-2010, 12:28 AM
7OiuIxpQXPw

Marklar MM
06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
"Hardest hit of all in the #USC sanctions: the incoming freshmen. The next recruiting class (2011) can say they'd redshirt the 2nd year out."

What exactly does this mean?

If the ban starts this season, the incoming freshman (2010 class) will lose a year of postseason play. The current recruiting class (2011 signees) can redshirt and the postseason ban won't affect them at all.

Marklar MM
06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I think USC will be okay, but it definitely hurts in the short term. It might take them a couple of years to get back to prominence after they serve their penalty. This creates the Beavs best chance ever of getting to the Rose Bowl though! :tu

Who is your quarterback?

Killakobe81
06-10-2010, 01:02 AM
LOL U$C couldnt of happen to a Classier institution ...

I told all my USC bandwagoners (huge fans that NEVER went there) there is NO way they grew to instant power scholl status without some shady shit ...

Pete C was the Calipari of College football ...

Go Bruins!!!

scottspurs
06-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Give vince the heisman he deserves.

Kermit
06-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I hope Vince tells the Heisman people to suck his wonderlic.

tlongII
06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Who is your quarterback?

Ryan Katz. He's redshirt sophomore and he's good. He's got a rocket arm and probably the best scrambling ability of any QB we've had for 10 years. Not a lot of experience though since he played behind Canfield last year and Canfield was 1st team All Pac-10.

21_Blessings
06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
:lmao IronMexican

21_Blessings
06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Still, their pathetic basketball program getting caught cheating was more hilarious.

Whisky Dog
06-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Unless Lane Kiffin adds more problems USC will be fine after a year or so. The main issue now is that Kiffin has to play clean for a while, takingvanother violation after this could be suicide. At least Kiffin can jump to another school though and won't feel any pain lol.

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Dude I called it for four years now

USC is just a bunch of cheaters. They just cheat over and over again, get caught cheating, uniformily cheating. Cheeating is really the worst too, nothing is worse than a cheater, you cheat the game, you cheat your players, you cheat your students, take the field on Saturday, beat a team 65- 6 and then stroke off with powerhouse dynasty lotion when you yourself are a blight on the greatest sport in world history

they cheated and fucked with peoples lives and I knew it

I totally called it I sSaidd. They cheated. Fact johngateswhitley

I don't even have to even mention a ting

ting brothers cheated too

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
~~~~~~The ting brothers Brandon and Brandon ting

The Gemini Method
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Good. The program should be punished for the wanton and greedy actions perped by those who took advantage of a system. Well, to be honest, the system does a great job of taking advantage of the student-athlete, but in a sense I'm glad that if this is what goes down--it brings an end to the constant what-ifs.

IronMexican
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Only two years. Could be worse. They got caught and deserved to be punished, though.

The Gemini Method
06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Dumb enough to get caught = punish them...

But don't get it twisted that USC is alone in trying to bend rules...if you think that, then you're a straight fuckin re'tard.

JamStone
06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I heard on sports radio that it's rumored to be up to 20 lost scholarships over the next two years. That could be huge. And that will most likely affect recruiting beyond just these two years. That's probably bigger than the bowl ban. And you're also probably talking about losing some of the current scholarship players who don't want to stick around for these next few years.

I went to Michigan a couple years after Chris Webber and Jalen Rose and the Fab Five got there. They went to two straight Final Fours. Then they had another great recruiting class with Jerod Ward and Louis Bullock and Maceo Baston and Travis Conlan. Still maintain a high level of competition. Then the Ed Martin/Chris Webber scandal finally hit the court system, self-imposed and NCAA sanctions ensued, and the Michigan basketball program has never recovered. And it's been around 10 years now.

The biggest thing about this isn't really the bowl ban. It's lost scholarships and how this will affect future recruiting. Now Michigan basketball and USC football are two very different things. Michigan doesn't have a long history of great basketball teams while USC is one of the premier college football programs in the entire country and has that long history. Two different sports, two different schools, and a bunch of other differences. So, I'm not suggesting the same exact thing will happen. But I use Michigan basketball as a reference to show that it's not necessarily about a two year bowl ban or the embarrassment to the school. The most damaging thing is how it will affect recruiting (and losing current scholarship players who want to leave now), and not just for these next two years, but likely for several years beyond that.

But when you make your bed, you have to sleep in it...

The Gemini Method
06-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I heard on sports radio that it's rumored to be up to 20 lost scholarships over the next two years. That could be huge. And that will most likely affect recruiting beyond just these two years. That's probably bigger than the bowl ban. And you're also probably talking about losing some of the current scholarship players who don't want to stick around for these next few years.

I went to Michigan a couple years after Chris Webber and Jalen Rose and the Fab Five got there. They went to two straight Final Fours. Then they had another great recruiting class with Jerod Ward and Louis Bullock and Maceo Baston and Travis Conlan. Still maintain a high level of competition. Then the Ed Martin/Chris Webber scandal finally hit the court system, self-imposed and NCAA sanctions ensued, and the Michigan basketball program has never recovered. And it's been around 10 years now.

The biggest thing about this isn't really the bowl ban. It's lost scholarships and how this will affect future recruiting. Now Michigan basketball and USC football are two very different things. Michigan doesn't have a long history of great basketball teams while USC is one of the premier college football programs in the entire country and has that long history. Two different sports, two different schools, and a bunch of other differences. So, I'm not suggesting the same exact thing will happen. But I use Michigan basketball as a reference to show that it's not necessarily about a two year bowl ban or the embarrassment to the school. The most damaging thing is how it will affect recruiting (and losing current scholarship players who want to leave now), and not just for these next two years, but likely for several years beyond that.

But when you make your bed, you have to sleep in it...

Very valid point, JamStone. Also with the possible creation of the proposed "super conference," the loss of scholarships could set them really back.

Holmes_Fans
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Juniors and seniors can also transfer.

If a player is going to be subject to a post season ban the rest of his eligibility, then he can transfer and play right away for another school without needing any type of release.

I could see some big time players using this as a reason to get on out of their.

Whisky Dog
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Texas needs to take advantage of this over the next two years and start getting a pipeline with some CA blue chip recruits. If we can siphon off one or two top CA recruits a year and keep out Texas ties as strong along with the occassion OOS guys like Jordan Hicks and Westerman then we'll be even greater. Do your magic coach Boom.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Meh Texas doesn't need a CA pipeline, they'd be smarter to just focus more on not losing local recruits.

UA REALLY needs to take advantage of these two years now with SC ineligible before being placed in an impossible division with Oklahoma and Texas teams and at least make the Rose bowl. I'd love to see them win it, but it would be nice to have at least one pac-10 title before it becomes unwinnable.

Them along with schools like ASU are the ones who need to capitalize on blue chip CA recruits who woulda normally been scooped up by USC.

IronMexican
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I think UCLA and Stanford will benefit the most.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree, UCLA especially since their program seems to be on the rise anyway with the recruiting class they're bringing in.

Marklar MM
06-10-2010, 02:30 PM
30 scholarships...10 a year starting the 2011-2012 season.

Talk about KILLER.

JoeTait75
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I think UCLA and Stanford will benefit the most.

Not so sure about Stanford. I don't think Harbaugh is long for that job. Stanford has a long history as a stepping-stone program for coaches- John Ralston, Bill Walsh, Dennis Green, Ty Willingham, et al. I think Harbaugh will either be back at Michigan or in the NFL within a few years.

Washington and UCLA stand to benefit the most here. Don't forget, U-Dub was arguably the premier football program in the Pac-10 in the '80s and '90s. And Arizona State can benefit too, if that sleeping giant ever wakes up.

MookieCrew
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Yew jesss kent dew TINGS like det....

JamStone
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Recruiting will be extremely tough next couple years.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Arizona State has been shitty for the better part of a decade. Both UA's and ASU's high point in recent history is getting throttled in the Holiday bowl. They're not gonna benefit from this anymore than UA will, especially since Stoops albeit a shitty coach is a good recruiter while Denis Erickson only shows up for work now to get a paycheck.

monosylab1k
06-10-2010, 03:08 PM
tbh they'll be okay as long as Mitch Mustain is the starter.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Both UA's and ASU's high point in recent history is getting throttled in the Holiday bowl.

Now that I think about it, this is a really bad indication of how UA and ASU will play against the former big 12 schools that'll be in their division.

callo1
06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I am so happy this finally happened:)

This information came out during the Heisman race, but the media protected their darlings long enough to have Bush steal it.

The Heisman always belonged to vince, and now this validates that fact as much as Vince's dominance in the Rose Bowl did.

Now Pete the Cheat will fall face down again in the NFL where parity is the name of the game like he did before, for a "Re-Peat" performance.

These sanctions are not enough, the NCAA went too easy on them. They should have to forfeit the '04 co-championship and Auburn should have sole possession.

The USED Trojans made their bed. Now I want to see the train wreck of the next 5-6 years develop.

Blake
06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Dude I called it for four years now

I totally called it I sSaidd.

no big 12 still kicking, this thread is too early

like by years and years

you called it I sSaidd

symple19
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
beat a team 65- 6 and then stroke off with powerhouse dynasty lotion when you yourself are a blight on the greatest sport in world history

awesome :lol

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Err Blake one of those posts i was talking about USC cheating, the other post was about the big12 conference

Whisky Dog
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Meh Texas doesn't need a CA pipeline, they'd be smarter to just focus more on not losing local recruits.

UA REALLY needs to take advantage of these two years now with SC ineligible before being placed in an impossible division with Oklahoma and Texas teams and at least make the Rose bowl. I'd love to see them win it, but it would be nice to have at least one pac-10 title before it becomes unwinnable.

Them along with schools like ASU are the ones who need to capitalize on blue chip CA recruits who woulda normally been scooped up by USC.

Texas might not need it, but it could become very important. It could become a fertile grounds for filling positions of weakness in Texas hs recruiting classes.

So there aren't any great linebacker prospects coming out of Texas hs this year? Raid one of the top Cali ones. Could be very lucrative if Texas plays it right these next two to three years while USC is getting nut punched.

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
absolutely incredible. yes, lets not match the punishment with the crime...and kill the current athletes & regime that had little if any responsibility. i'm in shock.

redraiderinfiji
06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Lol jgw!

redraiderinfiji
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
wow, you literally posted a minute before me.....wow....jgw....

I would actually like to know your thoughts about this super-conference formation / USC sanctions and vacation of the 2004 season.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
absolutely incredible. yes, lets not match the punishment with the crime...and kill the current athletes & regime that had little if any responsibility. i'm in shock.

lol cheaters

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
don't really have anything else to say about it, the product on the field wouldn't have been any different...everyone knows what happened. what really is an injustice, is the 2 year bowl ban and scholarships loss...mind blowing.

Blake
06-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Err Blake one of those posts i was talking about USC cheating, the other post was about the big12 conference

I know

you know how to totally call em.

Blake
06-10-2010, 11:04 PM

the punishment fits the crime just fine.

You're an idiot.

baseline bum
06-11-2010, 01:09 AM
This is a great day to be a Bruin:toast

Nice. The Lakers lose and SC gets bent over the table. Though every day as a Bruin is a good day. :toast

Marklar MM
06-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Ya know, the NCAA is more pissed off now at USC then before. I don't think it was smart for Kiffin and Garrett to openly mock the NCAA the way they did.

JamStone
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM

How exactly can the NCAA punish Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush now?

You punish the school and the program. That's what happens when the NCAA delivers sanctions. Players leave, they graduate, they declare for the draft. Coaches leave, go to a different job. You simply cannot claim injustice because "innocent" (I use that term loosely) players and coaches are affected by the actions of others when there is basically no recourse to punish those players and coaches who should be directly punished, especially when they no longer have direct affiliation with the school and the program.

That's the way it goes.