PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old girl sailor missing at sea

CosmicCowboy
06-10-2010, 02:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/abby-sunderland-possibly-lost-sea/story?id=10877108

Abby Sunderland, 16, who is attempting to become the youngest sailor ever to circumnavigate the globe, was feared lost at sea today after her crew lost contact with her boat.

Abby Sunderland's age sparks debate over how young is too young.
Jeff Casher, an engineer on Sunderland's support team, said two emergency beacons on her boat are now signaling she is in trouble.

Abby's mother, MaryAnne Sunderland, told ABC News that Abby manually activated two beacons around 6 a.m. Pacific Time Thursday.

A beacon designed to automatically go off when it contacts water had not been activated, she said.

(more at link)

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Dumb bitch.

SpursStalker
06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
:lol

Oh yeah, lets send our 16yr old daughter out in the ocean ...

I swear some people shouldn't reproduce.

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
:huh critical thinking, anyone? The ocean, even in good weather, is the fucking ocean still. Billions of dangerous animals live in that. And just a little rain or high winds could be it for a panicky 16 year old girl..

Slydragon
06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Rrrr it be pirates, they be playing with the beacons as if they treasure...told ye not to toy with foreign treasures that Rrrrr misunderstood, be Rrrrr undoing.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Now watch the authorities spend a shit load of money in men hours trying to find this stupid spoiled bitch. I hope they make her parents pay the cost.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
:huh critical thinking, anyone? .

lol a creationist talking about critical thinking.

dumbass.

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
She has been sailing for years. It's not like she made up this trip out of nowhere after watching the Discovery Channel for an hour or something. What's the difference between 16 and 18 if she's experienced and knows what to expect?

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
She has been sailing for years. It's not like she made up this trip out of nowhere after watching the Discovery Channel for an hour or something. What's the difference between 16 and 18 if she's experienced and knows what to expect?

If she's so "experienced", why is she lost?

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Because it's a dangerous trip?

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Because it's a dangerous trip?

Then why is she so bent on taking it, alone......at 16?

I'll save you the trouble - because she's a dumb bitch.

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
lol a creationist talking about critical thinking.

dumbass.

lol caring about some internet dude's opinion from over a year ago

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Then why is she so bent on taking it, alone......at 16?

I'll save you the trouble - because she's a dumb bitch.

Because she's not a loser who is going to die on her Lazy-Boy.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Because she's not a loser who is going to die on her Lazy-Boy.

She currently has a good chance at being dead because she opted to try and get a meaningless record....seems like a pretty good definition of being a loser.

Texas_Ranger
Perhaps Desmond didn't push the button.

BadOdor
lol caring about some internet dude's opinion from over a year ago

lol creationism.

jack sommerset
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
She currently has a good chance at being dead because she opted to try and get a meaningless record....seems like a pretty good definition of being a loser.

Do you also think experienced climbers are dumb bitches when they decide to trek up Everest? Or are you a dumb bitch to go surfing huge waves in Hawaii when you have years of experience and knowledge? Are people who strap themselves into stock cars dumb bitches too?

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Do you also think experienced climbers are dumb bitches when they decide to trek up Everest? Or are you a dumb bitch to go surfing huge waves in Hawaii when you have years of experience and knowledge? Are people who strap themselves into stock cars dumb bitches too?

Generally, yeah, I'd call those people stupid bitches as well.

However, at least they are old enough to make the choice to risk their lifes over meaningless shit like extreme sports.

Tell me, if she is found dead, is she a loser then?

Sisk
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
So I guess anyone who ever gets lost obviously is inexperienced and dumb right badodor? Just making sure that's your logic

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
So I guess anyone who ever gets lost obviously is inexperienced and dumb right badodor? Just making sure that's your logic

Quick, would you let your 16 year old daughter do this, even if she's had "years of practice"? Yes or no?

That's what I thought, bitch.

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
lol creationism.

I'm sure you could teach her a thing or two about circumnavigating the globe?

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Generally, yeah, I'd call those people stupid bitches as well.

However, at least they are old enough to make the choice to risk their lifes over meaningless shit like extreme sports.

Tell me, if she is found dead, is she a loser then?

Would you still be whining if she was 18?

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Would you still be whining if she was 18?

I'd still consider her a stupid bitch, yes. She's basically a spoiled brat who probably got pushed into this by her stupid ass parents.

Lol at her own "support" team.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm sure you could teach her a thing or two about circumnavigating the globe?

I could teach you a thing or two about science, bitch.

lol creationism.

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I could teach you a thing or two about science, bitch.

And deflection, apparently. Or getting angry over internet messages from random, anonymous people.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
And deflection, apparently. Or getting angry over internet messages from random peopel.

creationism.

desflood
06-10-2010, 03:38 PM
News flash: Teenagers want to do stupid sh*t all the time. It's up to their parents to say to them, "What are you, an idiot? NO!" The fault lies with the mother.

I feel the same way about the Natalee Holloway thing. NO WAY is my teenage daughter ever going out of the country with 99 other horny, stupid teens and only 7 chaperones. When you don't tell your kids no, stuff like this happens.

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
creationism.

How long would you last out at sea, alone, Bad Odor?

Would I be presuming correctly if I stated: the OP's 16 year old girl would sail circles around you? Survive in the elements much easier and more knowledgably?

What, in your opinion, went wrong with the girl?

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I'd still consider her a stupid bitch, yes. She's basically a spoiled brat who probably got pushed into this by her stupid ass parents.

Lol at her own "support" team.

So it's really not about her age then. It's more about you being some loser who likes to scream I told you so when something goes wrong after someone tries to do something difficult.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
How long would you last out at sea, alone, Bad Odor?

Would I be presuming correctly if I stated: the OP's 16 year old girl would sail circles around you? Survive in the elements much easier and more knowledgably?

What, in your opinion, went wrong with the girl?

tbh she's probably dead by now, so I don't think she's "sail circles around me".

I'll tell you what went wrong with this girl - she suffers(suffered?) from extreme stupidity and entitlement. She tried this shit before and failed, but obviously she didn't learn her lesson.

She deserves the darwin award(lol creationism).

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
So it's really not about her age then. It's more about you being some loser who likes to scream I told you so when something goes wrong after someone tries to do something difficult.

Hey bra, you never answered my question: if your 16 year old daughter wanted to do this "difficult" thing, would you let her?

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

He's just another asshole who's never done shit in his life. Identifying other people's failures gives him much happiness and makes him forget his own. Take the creationism thing, for example. Whether or not one thinks it's stupid, what place does it have in this discussion? It's just another example of him coping with his own colossal failure of a life.

It's no surprise he's a lakerfan.

Sisk
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I think badodor was beaten by his parents... poor guy

were you molested too?

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Sons, this is not about me, this is about a dumb bitch who is lost at sea because she is is a dumb bitch.

lol I hope she's dead.

baseline bum
Hey bra, you never answered my question: if your 16 year old daughter wanted to do this "difficult" thing, would you let her?

You didn't ask me; you asked Sisk. But I'll answer. If my daughter was a typical 16 year-old, then no. If my daughter was smart, responsible beyond her years, was a highly-experienced sailor, had lots of work in rough seas, did lots of research, had a good plan laid out, consulted with other experts about possible difficulties in areas of the trip, and badly wanted to do it, I wouldn't stand in her way.

BadOdor
Sons, this is not about me, this is about a dumb bitch who is lost at sea because she is is a dumb bitch.

lol I hope she's dead.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
You didn't ask me; you asked Sisk. But I'll answer. If my daughter was a typical 16 year-old, then no. If my daughter was smart, responsible beyond her years, was a highly-experienced sailor, had lots of work in rough seas, did lots of research, had a good plan laid out, consulted with other experts about possible difficulties in areas of the trip, and badly wanted to do it, I wouldn't stand in her way.

You're a pretty shitty parent - I hope for your sake you don't have kids.

lol dead.

Sisk
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM

lol I hope she's dead.

Well it's about you not posting under you real username and it's about you wanting to dismiss this girl on her age alone. You do realize there have been more than one teenager to do this trek recently, right? I guess they weren't "dumb bitches" in your eyes, and I've never seen you curse those parents.

Way to be consistent! :tu

z0sa
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
lol I hope she's dead.

The truth comes out.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
What's the big deal?

Jessica Watson just did the same thing and she is 16.

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Well it's about you not posting under you real username and it's about you wanting to dismiss this girl on her age alone. You do realize there have been more than one teenager to do this trek recently, right? I guess they weren't "dumb bitches" in your eyes, and I've never seen you curse those parents.

Way to be consistent! :tu

This is my real user name.:toast

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
You're a pretty shitty parent - I hope for your sake you don't have kids.

lol dead.

I bet your kids will be fat fucks who couldn't run 15 feet to catch the ice cream truck.

oh crap
06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
i can't feel sorry for someone who knew the dangers of what they were doing, evaluated those risks and decided in sound mind to go through with it regardless. i'd have no sympathy for someone who walked into a lions den just the same.

JudynTX
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Perhaps Desmond didn't push the button.

:lmao Only a LOSTie would get that.

Maybe she was trying to find the island from LOST. :wow

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
i can't feel sorry for someone who knew the dangers of what they were doing, evaluated those risks and decided in sound mind to go through with it regardless. i'd have no sympathy for someone who walked into a lions den just the same.

You don't need to feel sorry for someone who evaluates the risks and knows what he's getting into when attempting something dangerous. Comparing doing something risky to outright suicide (walking into a lion den) is a bit much though.

IceColdBrewski
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Who the hell lets their 16yo Daughter attempt to sail around the world? I don't care how experienced or driven she was. If she were my daughter, her ass would still be home right now.

EmptyMan
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like Hurley needed a replacement already...

Bukefal
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM

I swear some people shouldn't reproduce.

I agree with this. But on the other hand, if it was an adult, the same could have happened. So that this happened does not say anything about her capabilities in sailing persee, but yeah it's possible and I do agree it's going too far for a 16 year old to do this. Pretty stupid. Wtf were her parents thinking.

There was also a Dutch girl, 14 year old, she wanted to break the record in sailing across the world before this american girl would do it. Her parents supposedly were ready to let her go. When she was ready to leave it became noticed in the media and a court banned her from taking the trip and ordered her to be monitored/supervised.

Duff McCartney
06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Abby Sunderland's age sparks debate over how young is too young.

If you can get life in prison at 16, then 16 is not too young.

bigzak25
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/f8f6d587-bbad-4262-bf6c-7d04983d08a4_mn.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/abby-sunderland-2009-8-18-19-40-6.jpg

Abby Sunderland, 16.

I pray that they find her now that the darkness has lifted.

http://static.die.net/earth/hemisphere/1280.jpg

"Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Carly Lusk says three vessels have been sent from the French territory of Reunion Island and an aircraft is expected to leave soon from Perth, Australia.

It will take about four hours for the plane to reach the remote location between Africa and Australia."

I pray God guides her rescuers directly to her and that she is saved.

May GodBless her on her journey.

bigzak25
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Your harsh words do not please God.

You must realize this is your sister that is missing.

We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard of excellence.

May GodBless you.

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Very attractive young lady

sailing around the worlds a bad idea though, she'll be more famous in death

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Needs to be said

osoma people out there don't have maps, and I believe the us should help the Iraq and south Africa such as so we can build up our future

mookie2001
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Triple post

manufan10
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/us/f8f6d587-bbad-4262-bf6c-7d04983d08a4_mn.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/abby-sunderland-2009-8-18-19-40-6.jpg

abby sunderland, 16.

i pray that they find her now that the darkness has lifted.

http://static.die.net/earth/hemisphere/1280.jpg

"australian maritime safety authority spokeswoman carly lusk says three vessels have been sent from the french territory of reunion island and an aircraft is expected to leave soon from perth, australia.

It will take about four hours for the plane to reach the remote location between africa and australia."

i pray god guides her rescuers directly to her and that she is saved.

May godbless her on her journey.

+1

Blake
06-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Nobody really knows what to expect.

I don't care if she is a 16 year old girl or a 35 year old dude......sailing around the world, climbing Mt Everest, going hiking in Alaska, tubing down the Guadalupe or even skiing the bunny slopes in Vermont by yourself is just flat out stupid.

I'm pretty sure this 16 year old didnt fund this trip by shuffling fries at McDonalds on the weekends......

stupid parents.

760Spursfan
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
If I am not mistaken I think her brother held the record for youngest to sail around the world at 17 in 2009. Looks like the family made a mistake thinking she can beat her brothers record. Big mistake and now she is "lost" at sea and I blame the parents for letting her do this alone.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Another young, dumb white bitch who made a stupid decision.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2010, 07:09 PM

I swear some people shouldn't reproduce.Maybe they have a big insurance policy taken out on her.

JamStone
06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Calling her a dumb bitch, I get.

Saying "I hope she's dead" I don't really get.

With all the technology the world has today, I almost want to say it shouldn't be so horribly difficult to find a boat in the ocean even though I know in reality it's like looking for a contact lens in a pool.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Man, we sure do have an enormous amount of couch potato, lazy fucking losers in this forum. This girl was trying to accomplish something extraordinary before she was even 17. That's nothing short of admirable. The fact that a bunch of losers think they are cool because they can criticize her from a fucking message board for having attempted to be great but failed is pretty fucking sad. Not only that, but idiots here criticizing her for not having given up when she first encountered problems just speaks volumes about who those idiots are. Pathetic.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Man, we sure do have an enormous amount of couch potato, lazy fucking losers in this forum.

:lmao you echo my thoughts. Half of the users here probably think it is an accompishment when they wipe their own ass

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Man, we sure do have an enormous amount of couch potato, lazy fucking losers in this forum. This girl was trying to accomplish something extraordinary before she was even 17. That's nothing short of admirable. The fact that a bunch of losers think they are cool because they can criticize her from a fucking message board for having attempted to be great but failed is pretty fucking sad. Not only that, but idiots here criticizing her for not having given up when she first encountered problems just speaks volumes about who those idiots are. Pathetic.
:flag:she:lobt2:is:flag:a:lobt2:dumb:flag:girl

MiamiHeat
06-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Lol @ the losers who critize BadOdor.

I'd be impressed if she was volunteering to help the world's poor and suffering, and spending all that MONEY on shit that actually matter.

1) Doing something "extraordinary" is a practice in arrogance and conceit. There is no reason to sail like this for an insignificant record. We have already sailed the oceans, we have already conquered the world's seas. There is no new land to discover.

She is only doing this to feel better about herself to make her feel "special" and "different" due to some meaningless "record"

If you think that this is a good source of self-worth, that this is a legitimate way to evaluate if you are a loser or not, then you have no idea what it means to be a legitimate human being on planet earth. You have no idea what humanity is really about.

2) Doing something "extraordinary" at a very young age is a product of the parents arrogance. Children at a young age, are worried about other things. Parents are the ones who encourage this shit so they can feel that their children are special, they can be proud, etc.

3) If this was during the years of 1400's, then yeah I would be impressed. There was a need for it, because the western world still had not discovered all continents and conquered the oceans yet.

There was a need for it.

In 2010? No need for it.

It's a practice of arrogant, stupid pieces of shit who think they are special and better than others by doing this meaningless "record" at a younger age.

News flash : other people could do that record too. If they had wealthy parents who pushed them to do it, etc etc.

So fuck off. Stop glorifying stupid people. Spend your resources on shit that matters, instead of some retarded "yeah, I sailed the ocean at 16, im awesome"

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Or maybe she's doing it because she likes and is skilled at sailing, and the record is a nice perk to do it now instead of in a couple of years.

MiamiHeat
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, and LOL at the resources that are now going to be spent looking for her.

The world needs to look at their fucking priorities. There is so much suffering on this planet, and this is the shit we glorify. Fuck you guys.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
she is(in order of importance according to the media)

female
white
young
rich

so yes, we will now drop everything we are doing to look for this bitch who never should have been out on her own in the first place.

yes, cant wait for the cnn breaking news updates.

fuck you all.

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Who the fuck are you to tell someone what to do with her own life?

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Who the fuck are you to tell someone what to do with her own life?
she can do whatever the fuck she wants but when she gets lost, there better not be one god damn fucking public dime spent on looking for her ass.

MiamiHeat
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
she can do whatever the fuck she wants but when she gets lost, there better not be one god damn fucking public dime spent on looking for her ass.

Amen.

baseline bum
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM

I'd agree with that. You go and climb Everest and stop, you die, 100% of the time. No one risks his life saving you. If you're making the choice to do something dangerous and you slip up or run into unanticipated conditions, it's no one else's responsibility to come save your ass.

marini martini
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Fuck all of you that hopes she's dead!!! I'm saying a little prayer for her!

BadOdor
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd hate to agree with the pt cruiser driving fag, but really, this dumb bitch just wanted to be "special" - or more likely, her parents pushed her to do this, seeing as her brother just so happens to hold the record for this meaningless record.

What's so special about this shit, anyway? I bet this bitch got fucken wireless on her boat, a TV, all the modern shit. I bet I could do this shit if I had a couple of months worth of sailing lessons.

And lol at having her own personal "team".

bigzak25
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
1 Samuel 2:3

Love the LORD, all you faithful ones! For the LORD protects those who are loyal to him, but he harshly punishes all who are arrogant.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
If people don't want money spent on her being found, then do you agree the following should happen?

1.) Smokers should be left to die and given no health care, even if they pay taxes. After all they are doing something stupid that could kill them but seem to enjoy it.

2.) Overly obese people (unless due to a disease) should be left to die. They enjoy eating, hate exercise and cost tax payers millions of dollars in health care expenses as well.

Shouldn't matter if these people pay taxes, i am sure this girl's parents pay taxes but spending money on someone's seemingly 'stupid' decision doesn't seem to be popular on here.

Oh, and why you are at it, why not tell NASA to stop spending millions on space travel? Now that is what i call a waste of money.

bigzak25
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I am both impressed and disappointed with your post, MiamiHeat.

If you can find the strength to say what you think from a truly loving perspective, you will very soon discover The True Path.

I promise you.

May GodBless you, brother.

ChuckD
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
:lmao Only a LOSTie would get that.

Maybe she was trying to find the island from LOST. :wow

Looks like Hurley needed a replacement already...

http://four815162342.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/not-penny-s-boat-lost-37210_1279_694.jpg

ChuckD
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
idiots. she fell off the edge

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Lol @ the losers who critize BadOdor.

I'd be impressed if she was volunteering to help the world's poor and suffering, and spending all that MONEY on shit that actually matter.

1) Doing something "extraordinary" is a practice in arrogance and conceit. There is no reason to sail like this for an insignificant record. We have already sailed the oceans, we have already conquered the world's seas. There is no new land to discover.

She is only doing this to feel better about herself to make her feel "special" and "different" due to some meaningless "record"

If you think that this is a good source of self-worth, that this is a legitimate way to evaluate if you are a loser or not, then you have no idea what it means to be a legitimate human being on planet earth. You have no idea what humanity is really about.

2) Doing something "extraordinary" at a very young age is a product of the parents arrogance. Children at a young age, are worried about other things. Parents are the ones who encourage this shit so they can feel that their children are special, they can be proud, etc.

3) If this was during the years of 1400's, then yeah I would be impressed. There was a need for it, because the western world still had not discovered all continents and conquered the oceans yet.

There was a need for it.

In 2010? No need for it.

It's a practice of arrogant, stupid pieces of shit who think they are special and better than others by doing this meaningless "record" at a younger age.

News flash : other people could do that record too. If they had wealthy parents who pushed them to do it, etc etc.

So fuck off. Stop glorifying stupid people. Spend your resources on shit that matters, instead of some retarded "yeah, I sailed the ocean at 16, im awesome"

Oh, and LOL at the resources that are now going to be spent looking for her.

The world needs to look at their fucking priorities. There is so much suffering on this planet, and this is the shit we glorify. Fuck you guys.

Says the hypocrite that glorifies a bunch of people trying to put a ball through a hoop...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I guess the coast guard shouldn't exist at all then, after all, its only there to protect people that have put themselves in harms way...

Blake
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM

Love the LORD, all you faithful ones! For the LORD protects those who are loyal to him, but he harshly punishes all who are arrogant.

so you are saying this 16 year old girl was arrogant....

you could be right

marini martini
06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd hate to agree with the pt cruiser driving fag, but really, this dumb bitch just wanted to be "special" - or more likely, her parents pushed her to do this, seeing as her brother just so happens to hold the record for this meaningless record.

What's so special about this shit, anyway? I bet this bitch got fucken wireless on her boat, a TV, all the modern shit. I bet I could do this shit if I had a couple of months worth of sailing lessons.

And lol at having her own personal "team".

I am both impressed and disappointed with your post, MiamiHeat.

If you can find the strength to say what you think from a truly loving perspective, you will very soon discover The True Path.

I promise you.

May GodBless you, brother.

God bless you Zack, we're on the same page, bro!!!!

:toast

EmptyMan
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Becoming lost at sea is a good way to go out though. You become an instant legend.

Scola
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
She probably got kidnapped by pirates.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 12:20 AM
If I am not mistaken I think her brother held the record for youngest to sail around the world at 17 in 2009. Looks like the family made a mistake thinking she can beat her brothers record. Big mistake and now she is "lost" at sea and I blame the parents for letting her do this alone.

That was my first thought. I saw the brother on Rome's TV show a while back and couldn't help but be impressed by the maturity and intelligence of the kid.

Having said that, WTF? I can't imagine having a child, much less two, and allowing them to attempt solo missions around the world at 16 and 17 respectively. Maybe after they got the son back they figured they were playing with house money; they got one kid back and I'm guessing 50% odds were better than what they would've been handicapped.

Sisk
06-11-2010, 01:01 AM
says the hypocrite that glorifies a bunch of people trying to put a ball through a hoop...

x 1,000,000

Sisk
06-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Anyone who's wishing she's dead is a fucking pathetic excuse for a person, too.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Apparently they've made contact with her and she's alive and well, according to Fox. I just saw it flipping through the channels.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2010, 03:13 AM
u do know if she made it through with her voyage, its all about the money she will make after it

same shit happened down here with another 16yr old...could care less, its not like any 16yr old has has access to a boat

sonic21
06-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Most of the young people that do these kinds of challenges have a world of support behind them, and they wouldn't be allowed to do it if they really weren't up to the task.

Would i let my daughter do this kind of thing? If they were up it and had the knowledge, drive and skill.....yes i think i would. Even as an adult, how do you know you are up to sailing around the world alone?

Two more years and the parents wouldn't have a say in it anyway.

Hopefully she'll be found soon.

Nbadan
06-11-2010, 03:27 AM
She's alive and awaiting rescue...

Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

An Australian plane with 11 trained observers found Sunderland, who on Thursday had activated two emergency distress beacons signaling an international rescue attempt, not long after daybreak Friday. Its crewmade contact with her on a marine radio channel.

The mariner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who had been attempting to become the youngest person to have sailed around the world alone, had lost has mast and rigging after her vessel apparently rolled in heaving seas. Her position is extremely remote, more than 2,000 miles from Australia and Africa...

A rescue has not been made, however. The nearest ship bound for her position is about 30 hours away, but fierce winds and seas that had been upwards of 40 feet are abating. Australian, American and French search-and-rescue authorities are cooperating in the rescue attempt.

Grind (http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/17960/abby+sunderland+is+alive+and+apparently+safe+aboar d+her+damaged+sailboat)

Bukefal
06-11-2010, 03:52 AM
^That's great

bigzak25
06-11-2010, 05:46 AM
She's alive and awaiting rescue...

Thanks be to God! Take note.

bigzak25
06-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Needs to be said

osoma people out there don't have maps, and I believe the us should help the Iraq and south Africa such as so we can build up our future

You are speaking of God's plan!!!

Wow mookie, I'm so excited for your opportunities to help facilitate The Change!!!

Texas_Ranger
06-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Now lets just hope she won't try it again.

me15lo
06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
they say she was found alive and "well"

jack sommerset
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I was reading about it on yahoo and the tons of people commented they wish she would DIE!!!! That's fucked up.

BlackSwordsMan
06-11-2010, 07:38 AM
i'd hit it

lint
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
God bless you Zack, we're on the same page, bro!!!!

Is Bigzak now Angelluv?

me15lo
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
i'd hit it

703 Spurz
06-11-2010, 09:12 AM

I don't get this state of reasoning. I've heard it from you and others (Yahoo has the article too, comments at the bottom of their page). I'm not a lazy couch potato by any means and I disagree with people trying to sail around the world by themselves just for personal accomplishment.

I mean more power to her for trying sure but if you get stuck, as she is right now, people and money are spent trying to look for her. What if a rescuer was killed in the process? You going to say it comes with the territory?

703 Spurz
06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Now lets just hope she won't try it again.

She'll be going again in the Fall probably

Trainwreck2100
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I guess the coast guard shouldn't exist at all then, after all, its only there to protect people that have put themselves in harms way...

I figured part of the coast guard's mission would be to guard the coast

:lol pimpo be regulating foos

mrsmaalox
06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow, it's cool that she's okay :tu

Chomag
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
So glad she is ok but sadly her parents will probably encourage her to do it again once she has recuperated and daddy fixes or buys her a whole new boat..

Being rich doesn't give you the right to be stupid.

RichieRich
06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Being rich doesn't give you the right to be stupid.

I'd rather be rich and stupid than poor and stupid.

boutons_deux
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Her daddy should pay for her S & R. Why should anybody else?

Dre_7
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Some people in this thread must be pissed shes still alive. :lol

baseline bum
06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Her daddy should pay for her S & R. Why should anybody else?

Yeah, anyone who tries something like this and expects to be rescued when things go wrong should have pre-arranged deals in place.

baseline bum
06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't get this state of reasoning. I've heard it from you and others (Yahoo has the article too, comments at the bottom of their page). I'm not a lazy couch potato by any means and I disagree with people trying to sail around the world by themselves just for personal accomplishment.

I mean more power to her for trying sure but if you get stuck, as she is right now, people and money are spent trying to look for her. What if a rescuer was killed in the process? You going to say it comes with the territory?

When BadOdor is in here calling anyone a dumb bitch who tries to do anything adventurous, the criticism fits.

Wilson
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, anyone who tries something like this and expects to be rescued when things go wrong should have pre-arranged deals in place.

CubanSucks
06-11-2010, 10:02 PM

:hitit: and?

word
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM

She's not lost. Her boat was damaged.

The Reckoning
06-12-2010, 02:02 AM

:hitit: and?

id circumnavigate those

Stringer_Bell
06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Fox News just said she was rescued! Awesome sauce for jail bait lovers across the world.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-12-2010, 01:01 PM
If US taxpayers somehow in any secondary way have to pay for this rescue then that ho deserves to be donkey punched.

whatta stupidbitch

duncan228
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Her father defended the decision to let her do this.

Abby Sunderland rescued (http://www.smh.com.au/world/abby-sunderland-rescued-20100612-y428.html)

Fishermen more used to chasing toothfish through the frigid Antarctic seas made the catch of their lives on Saturday - solo US sailor Abby Sunderland.

They hauled the wet and cold teenager aboard about 7.45pm (AEST).

They launched a smaller vessel from their 1295 ton fishing ship to rescue Sunderland.

Despite the ordeal, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said the sailor was safe and well.

"The rescue of 16-year-old US solo sailor, Abby Sunderland, from the yacht Wild Eyes to the fishing vessel Ile De La Reunion was successfully conducted at 7.45pm AEST today, approximately 2000 nautical miles off the West Australian coast," AMSA said in a statement.

"The master of the Ile De La Reunion has reported Ms Sunderland is safe and in good health."

Arrangements are now underway to get her to land.

It is possible she may be transferred to other vessels involved in the rescue effort, AMSA said.

"One ship is bound for Australia and the other would likely return to its home port at La Reunion," it added.

Sunderland left Los Angeles on January 23 in the hope of becoming the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo.

She gave up that goal in April when her Wild Eyes yacht needed to be repaired, but continued her journey anyway.

On Thursday her adventure hit another snag when the mast of her yacht broke in rough seas off Australia's west coast, knocking out satellite communications.

After she set off two emergency beacons, a rescue crew made brief contact with Abby from the air on Friday afternoon.

On Saturday morning, a second plane left Perth Airport to conduct another sighting of her to check on her welfare.

The debacle has sparked widespread criticism of the wisdom of allowing a teenage girl to sail solo around the world.

Australian environmentalist and yachtsman Ian Kiernan said the teenager's adventure was irresponsible.

"I don't know what she's doing in the ... ocean as a 16-year-old in the middle of winter," he told Sky News.

"It's just foolhardy. The sea respects no person. We need adventures for sure, but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their potential rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed."

Abby's father Laurence Sunderland has defended the voyage.

"Sailing and life in general is dangerous," he said.

"Teenagers drive cars. Does that mean teenagers shouldn't drive a car?

"I think people who hold that opinion have lost their zeal for life.

"They're living in a cotton-wool tunnel to make everything safe."

Abby's mother Marianne Sunderland said the family had sought to minimise the risks of the voyage by having a comprehensive support team in place, but doubted whether her daughter would ever attempt such a hazardous feat again.

"I am definitely having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction," she told CNN television.

"I don't want anyone going anywhere.

"(Abby) loves sailing. I don't think she will attempt anything of this magnitude again.

"I am sure she will be out to sea again someday."

http://images.smh.com.au/2010/06/12/1591757/abby420-420x0.jpg
Abby's boat Wild Eyes adrift in the middle of the ocean without a mast.

Blake
06-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Australian environmentalist and yachtsman Ian Kiernan said the teenager's adventure was irresponsible.

"I don't know what she's doing in the ... ocean as a 16-year-old in the middle of winter," he told Sky News.

"It's just foolhardy. The sea respects no person. We need adventures for sure, but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their potential rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed."

wise response

Abby's father Laurence Sunderland has defended the voyage.

"Sailing and life in general is dangerous," he said.

"Teenagers drive cars. Does that mean teenagers shouldn't drive a car?

"I think people who hold that opinion have lost their zeal for life.

"They're living in a cotton-wool tunnel to make everything safe."

stupid idiot response

howbouthemspurs
06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
There is a double standard I think here. I guess people only get angry when things go wrong . But if she makes it then she's a role model for all kids.

Sisk
06-13-2010, 01:15 PM
There is a double standard I think here. I guess people only get angry when things go wrong . But if she makes it then she's a role model for all kids.

+ 1

Was just saying this same exact thing. The media sensationalized this as an honorable and admirable 16 year old girl who was making this trek across the world alone. Now that she's failed - it's the most horrific, absent-minded parenting act in the history of the world.

I didn't see anyone in the media or in this forum going ape shit when she first started on this trip.. :wakeup

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
+ 1

Was just saying this same exact thing. The media sensationalized this as an honorable and admirable 16 year old girl who was making this trek across the world alone. Now that she's failed - it's the most horrific, absent-minded parenting act in the history of the world.

I didn't see anyone in the media or in this forum going ape shit when she first started on this trip.. :wakeup

That's quite insane, man.

Blake
06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
+ 1

what/which media sensationalized this as an honorable and admirable 16 year old girl who was making this trek across the world alone?

manufan10
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
+ 1

Exactly. There wasn't one thread about her or her parents being irresponsible when she first started out. Now that something has happened we see a lot of "I told you so's" and "parents are irresponsible," and similar.

Spurstro
06-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Her dad signed her up for a TV deal before she took off....

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/06/14/sailor-abby-sunderlands-dad-signed-reality-doomed-voyage/

Ginobilly
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I hope the family pays for the search and rescue. I don't think people sometimes understand and respect the magnitude of how dangerous this shit is. The coast guard is reserved for people who need to be out at sea (i.e. fisherman,workers, and sceintists. Not for spoiled kids with massive egos.

Ginobilly
06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
"I am definitely having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction," she told CNN television.

"(Abby) loves sailing. I don't think she will attempt anything of this magnitude again."

I remember back when I was 15 in 2001, me and cousin decided to hike down then up the Grand Canyon. We thought it was going to be easy and should make it up again in no time. The descend was the easy part which took about 1 and half hours. We were physically drained by the time we got to a rest area cabin, so we refueled our bodies and our empty gatorade bottles. Now going back up was a whole different animal. The sun was blistering 100+ degrees, our calf muscles started cramping up, and we were getting extremely tired. We got so tired and nauseous, that there came a time when we could only manage to walk only a couple of feet, then had to stop to rest for 10 mins or more. It was brutal hell! One of the worst days of my life! I litterly thought I was going to pass out and die. But we willed ourselves to make it back up. It took us more than 5 hours to make it back up. When we met our parents back at the visiting center, they weren't mad or anything, but in typical Mexican parent fashion: "did you learn your lesson"?:lmao None of this "support team" bullshit for us. I was extremely humbled after that expeirence.

BadOdor
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Looks like I was right all along.

I'll be taking my apologies now, bitches:toast

baseline bum
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM

"(Abby) loves sailing. I don't think she will attempt anything of this magnitude again."

I remember back when I was 15 in 2001, me and cousin decided to hike down then up the Grand Canyon. We thought it was going to be easy and should make it up again in no time. The descend was the easy part which took about 1 and half hours. We were physically drained by the time we got to a rest area cabin, so we refueled our bodies and our empty gatorade bottles. Now going back up was a whole different animal. The sun was blistering 100+ degrees, our calf muscles started cramping up, and we were getting extremely tired. We got so tired and nauseous, that there came a time when we could only manage to walk only a couple of feet, then had to stop to rest for 10 mins or more. It was brutal hell! One of the worst days of my life! I litterly thought I was going to pass out and die. But we willed ourselves to make it back up. It took us more than 5 hours to make it back up. When we met our parents back at the visiting center, they weren't mad or anything, but in typical Mexican parent fashion: "did you learn your lesson"?:lmao None of this "support team" bullshit for us. I was extremely humbled after that expeirence.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework on the Grand Canyon; marathon runners have died doing that as a dayhike, and the bottom can get to 140+ in the sun. If you had done research on it, you would have known that leaving any later that 5:00AM from the bottom to reach the rim is incredibly reckless. Anyone who could ever believe 5,000+ feet of elevation gain would be anything but a tough trip is almost certainly not an experienced hiker. Your situation in which you didn't do research and didn't have experience sounds completely different from hers.

Blake
06-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Exactly. There wasn't one thread about her or her parents being irresponsible when she first started out. Now that something has happened we see a lot of "I told you so's" and "parents are irresponsible," and similar.

what/which media sensationalized this as an honorable and admirable 16 year old girl who was making this trek across the world alone?

MiamiHeat
06-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Her dad signed her up for a TV deal before she took off....

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/06/14/sailor-abby-sunderlands-dad-signed-reality-doomed-voyage/

what a fucking surprise? NOT.

i told you guys from the get go

when you see shit like this, always look to the parents. 99% of the time, they are behind it.

this eerily reminds me of the BALLOON BOY family

Ginobilly
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Sounds like you didn't do your homework on the Grand Canyon; marathon runners have died doing that as a dayhike, and the bottom can get to 140+ in the sun. If you had done research on it, you would have known that leaving any later that 5:00AM from the bottom to reach the rim is incredibly reckless. Anyone who could ever believe 5,000+ feet of elevation gain would be anything but a tough trip is almost certainly not an experienced hiker. Your situation in which you didn't do research and didn't have experience sounds completely different from hers.

I didn't do research because at that age your reckless and stupid. I've always been a pretty fit person through out my life. I used to play non-stop soccer, basketball, and also ran track during that time, and also would participate in fartlek training with friends in the Northside. That's all the experience I had during that time with pushing my cardiovascular threshold the max, and I thought it was enough to fully conquer the mighty Canyon. You could say I did it to show off my incredible stamina to others. Shit, I even took pictures on my way down of all the beautiful scenery to show off to all my highschool buddies back in San Antonio. I literly thought I could become a southside legend if I could accomplish it at a fast rate. I was massively wrong on all levels. I forgot to mention that a 4'10 Japanese man and his wife literly saved our asses by giving us energy bars as they stumpled upon us on our way up. That's the one fatal error I commited; I didn't take no food or energy bars and not enough fluids. I also didn't take into account how hot and blistering the sun was going to be. If I did, I would of completed the task with problems, and would of partied it up at the hotel back in Williams, AZ. I bet she was scared shitless those 3 nights she spent alone pondering about her whole life and her dumb decision. If she was atheist, I bet was praying her ass off to God to save her.

Ginobilly
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Also, mother-nature doesn't care how much experience you might have on paper. Once you play in her wild untamed arena, your at her mercy. That's why I think Bear Grylls is probably the next animal/nature-man to go the way of the crocidile hunter. Dude plays with too much fire.

baseline bum
06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Also, mother-nature doesn't care how much experience you might have on paper. Once you play in her wild untamed arena, your at her mercy. That's why I think Bear Grylls is probably the next animal/nature-man to go the way of the crocidile hunter. Dude plays with too much fire.

But an experienced hiker would know one has to drink something approaching a gallon of water to keep properly hydrated in that kind of heat while doing that level of work, in addition to eating lots of salty snacks along the way. He wouldn't be at nature's mercy to the same level you were. Nevertheless, great story about making it down to the river and back in 100 degree heat. Way too dangerous for me to try, though it sounds like a fun dayhike in the winter if properly paced, with enough water and food, and crampons and an axe for the top.

Ginobilly
06-15-2010, 01:52 AM
But an experienced hiker would know one has to drink something approaching a gallon of water to keep properly hydrated in that kind of heat while doing that level of work, in addition to eating lots of salty snacks along the way. He wouldn't be at nature's mercy to the same level you were. Nevertheless, great story about making it down to the river and back in 100 degree heat. Way too dangerous for me to try, though it sounds like a fun dayhike in the winter if properly paced, with enough water and food, and crampons and an axe for the top.

The thing was that I wasn't an experienced hiker at that time. Sure, I hiked the San Antonio surrounding parks and wilderness but it doesn't compare to Arizona's blistering 120 degree dry heat. I didn't fully prepare for it and it was a spur of the moment type of thing that I thought would be a piece of cake. I prayed my ass off to every god and religion there is. I even prayed to to Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking and fuckin string theory.:lmao Someone and something did help that day, besides that Japanese dude, and that's why now I support every religion and sceince. And It's those times when your young, dumb, and full of cum.

Ginobilly
06-15-2010, 02:25 AM
I also thought my "controlled training" would translate towards hiking the Grand Canyon with ease. It didn't go so well. So her parents claim she had enough experience that would of led to her success? How much experience? what is it quality experience? I bet she only took several hundred mile sail trips and thought she was ready. She overestimated her abilities and probably hadn't experienced the full wrath of what the earth is capable of throwing at you.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 03:54 AM
The open sea is the probably the world's most dangerous place.

baseline bum
06-15-2010, 04:35 AM
The open sea is the probably the world's most dangerous place.

Maybe 2nd. Juarez has to be first.