PDA

View Full Version : If you're the SEC....

samikeyp
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
are you strong enough to compete without expansion?

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
i like the idea of A&M to the SEC & t.u. to the Pac-10, for a variety of reasons...just my 2 cents. that gives the Pac-10 12 teams and the SEC probably grab another for 14.

The Gemini Method
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Perhaps they go after Florida St. or Miami, FL? Or, even Clemson would be a choice to bring in with any of the remaining Florida teams and keep a natural rival within the SEC (South Carolina)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah the U or FSU going to the SEC would make tons of sense. Miami and Florida hate each other so much an annual game between the two would be sick. Miami's TV time would go way up with a move to the SEC and their contract with Notre Dame starting in a few years.

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Perhaps they go after Florida St. or Miami, FL? Or, even Clemson would be a choice to bring in with any of the remaining Florida teams and keep a natural rival within the SEC (South Carolina)

i read somewhere the SEC wasn't considering Miami or Florida State, but who really knows.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
i read somewhere the SEC wasn't considering Miami or Florida State, but who really knows.When you already have the U of Florida, there isn't much reason to duplicate that TV market if other options exist. TAMU makes a lot of sense in this respect.

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 07:17 PM
When you already have the U of Florida, there isn't much reason to duplicate that TV market if other options exist. TAMU makes a lot of sense in this respect.

yep, i know.

Ignignokt
06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Here's Gtown's prediction.

UT is not going to the Pac 10.

If NotreDame jumps into the big 10, forget about it.

The big 12 will just replace CU and NU with BYU and TCU. Not bad at all.

The Gemini Method
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
But what exactly does A&M bring in terms of marketability? If you were the SEC and were adding Texas, then you'd have a strong case. I don't see the Aggies bringing more than a lukewarm jetstream of interest from the SEC whereas complete control (Miami/Dade region) over the Floridian NCAA landscape would be more profitable and a majority control over recruiting and such in what arguably is the best region for H.S. prospects in the nation.

johngateswhiteley
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
But what exactly does A&M bring in terms of marketability? If you were the SEC and were adding Texas, then you'd have a strong case. I don't see the Aggies bringing more than a lukewarm jetstream of interest from the SEC whereas complete control (Miami/Dade region) over the Floridian NCAA landscape would be more profitable and a majority control over recruiting and such in what arguably is the best region for H.S. prospects in the nation.

A&M has a huge following and was in the top 20 or 25 for revenue...they'd add plenty to any conference.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-10-2010, 07:42 PM

This is my view. The big-12 would still largely control the Texas TV market as long as UT stays there, if Miami and FSU go to the SEC that conference monopolizes Florida rather than competes for its recruits and TV contracts with the ACC.

tsb2000
06-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's Gtown's prediction.

UT is not going to the Pac 10.

If NotreDame jumps into the big 10, forget about it.

The big 12 will just replace CU and NU with BYU and TCU. Not bad at all.

BYU isn't going anywhere. The whole flap with them is they won't play any sports on Sunday, so that's a huge wrench for TV scheduling. :)

tsb2000
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Also, the SEC was fine with what they had until the PAC-X (or whatever they will be called) started rumors of wanting a second guaranteed spot in the BCS.

DesignatedT
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
A&M has a huge following and was in the top 20 or 25 for revenue...they'd add plenty to any conference.

samikeyp
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
i like the idea of A&M to the SEC & t.u. to the Pac-10, for a variety of reasons...just my 2 cents. that gives the Pac-10 12 teams and the SEC probably grab another for 14.

I would figure you would want A&M in the Pac-10 so you could have both your teams there.

tlongII
06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
We want the Horns in our conference! West of the Mississippi baby!

leemajors
06-11-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2010/6/9/1509243/a-m-might-be-the-most-attractive

johngateswhiteley
06-11-2010, 05:04 AM
I would figure you would want A&M in the Pac-10 so you could have both your teams there.

Kinda. But more than that, I want what's best for both schools. I like the idea of USC vs. t.u. somewhat regularly.

symple19
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
A&M? Meh,

I concur with those who are saying to raid the ACC. I'll take Miami, FSU, Va Tech, and Clemson. None of those schools are Basketball powerhouses either, which is what the ACC is known for anyway.

You would then move Tenn, UGA, and Vandy to the west, while also sliding FSU into the west

Most of your rivalries would stay intact, with those state of florida matchups becoming even more meaningful.

If the Big East collapses, the SEC should take a long look at USF as well.

TampaDude
06-13-2010, 06:58 PM
are you strong enough to compete without expansion?

Which conference has won the past 4 BCS National Championships in a row?

There's your answer.

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Which conference has won the past 4 BCS National Championships in a row?

There's your answer.

Then why pursue A&M?

romad_20
06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Its not that hard to see what the SEC wants with A&M, TV sets in Texas, broaden the league's appeal and open recruiting up from Texas. Miami and FSU don't do anything for the conference except take from the Florida talent even more. Plus Florida will not allow them to join. Just not going to happen. SEC wants to have a presence in Texas and steal some of those recruits.

samikeyp
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Its not that hard to see what the SEC wants with A&M, TV sets in Texas, broaden the league's appeal and open recruiting up from Texas. Miami and FSU don't do anything for the conference except take from the Florida talent even more. Plus Florida will not allow them to join. Just not going to happen. SEC wants to have a presence in Texas and steal some of those recruits.

I could agree with that, but then why not go after Texas? The Horns bring more viewers.

TheTruth
06-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I could agree with that, but then why not go after Texas? The Horns bring more viewers.

Reports have stated that Texas and OU were the SEC's main targets. UT won't join the SEC for a lot of reasons.

samikeyp
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Reports have stated that Texas and OU were the SEC's main targets. UT won't join the SEC for a lot of reasons.

Good point. A&M could have been a second choice and one that is more likely to go.

romad_20
06-14-2010, 11:02 AM

To be honest, I would think that they already have enough cream at the top. Why make it even harder to win the conference with another powerhouse. And if you're Texas or OU why come to a conference where you're going to have be almost perfect every year against the like of LSU, Bama, Florida, Tenn. UGA and then have to play one of those teams again for the right to the BCS. Strengthening the middle seems to be the way to go for the SEC and A&M.