PDA

View Full Version : Sixers hire Snyder for player development

duncan228
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Aldridge: Sixers hire Snyder for player development (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/06/10/sixers.assistant.snyder/)
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst

The Philadelphia 76ers plan to bolster their player development side under new coach Doug Collins by bringing in former University of Missouri coach Quin Snyder to head that position, according to league sources.

The 43-year-old Snyder has spent the last three years as the head coach of the San Antonio Spurs' D-League team, the Austin Toros, where he's helped develop players like guard Alonzo Gee, who was named the D-League's Rookie of the Year this past season, and center Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' 2007 first-round pick.

Snyder replaced the late Dennis Johnson, who had died of a heart attack while jogging in February, 2007, as the Toros' permanent coach in the fall of 2007, and led Austin to the D-League Finals. The following season, Snyder was named D-League Coach of the Year. This past season the Toros made the D-League semifinals before losing to Rio Grande, 2 games to 1.

Before coming to Austin, Snyder spent seven seasons at Missouri, where he posted a 126-91 record and got to the Elite Eight in 2002. But he resigned during the 2005-06 season amid numerous allegations of wrongdoing connected with the Missouri program. As a player, Snyder helped lead Duke to three Final Fours in four seasons. After receiving both a business degree and a law degree from Duke after his playing career ended, Snyder spent four seasons on the Blue Devils' bench as an assistant coach before going to Missouri.

Blackjack
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Me no like. :td

benefactor
06-10-2010, 09:54 PM
That kinda sucks. He seemed to be doing a pretty good job in Austin.

DesignatedT
06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah I liked that guy. Hope he does well though.

ChuckD
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
That kinda sucks. He seemed to be doing a pretty good job in Austin.

That's probably WHY he got the job. They're not going to hire some moron with no clue. I'm sure the Spurs are happy for him and gave him a great reference.

dbestpro
06-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Mike Brown may be looking for a new coaching gig. (snicker)

CubanMustGo
06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Boo. But you gotta think that the job in Philly pays better than being a D-league coach.

Gagnrath
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Mike Brown may be looking for a new coaching gig. (snicker)

Actually considering that mike brown is a former spurs organization member, and has a good relationship with pop it might not be impossible for him to get that role.

Solid D
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Drain, I feel, on the "Corporate Knowledge" Force today.

http://motivationalspeaker1.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/yoda.thumbnail.jpg?w=450

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
He was actually my favorite to replace Pop when all was said and done, but this is easily a better gig and I'm happy for him.

I thought he might be a good guy to go with once the rebuild was in order, and maybe he still could be. There's no reason why he couldn't make his way back in a few years if he doesn't get offered a job before then. This is a good move for him and I'm only disappointed because of two things:

1.) I thought he did a good job and was an asset to the Spurs.

2.) It's always rough when San Antonio loses one of their resident celebrities; I loved Weekend at Bernies. :depressed

http://www.chucksconnection.com/weekend/weekend04.jpg

Solid D
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
It's great for Quin to get this opportunity and Collins is astute in adding him to his staff. Quinn has basically been a part of the Spurs' staff, except in games.

duncan228
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Austin Coach Quin Snyder Joining the 76ers Staff (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/6/11/1512768/austin-coach-quin-snyder-joining)
by Jon L
RidiculousUpside

NBA.com's David Aldridge is reporting that Austin Toros coach Quin Snyder will join the staff of the Philadelphia 76ers (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/06/10/sixers.assistant.snyder/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2) in a player development capacity. This is great news both for Snyder and for the 76ers, but a bit puzzling for the San Antonio Spurs as well as their D-League counterpart Toros.

First off, in addition to his excellent work as a coach (he won the D-League Coach of the Year award for the 2008-2009 season), Snyder is undoubtedly qualified to handle player development. More than a dozen Toros have been called-up to the NBA over the past few seasons - including Alonzo Gee, Dwayne Jones and Curtis Jerrells last year. He has helped Jones develop some offensive moves and improve his free-throw shooting; helped Marcus Williams become a point guard; and helped Spurs assignee Malik Hairston transition from power forward (his college position) to a swingman just to name a few notable examples. So...yeah, this could work.

On Philadelphia's end, they have a fair number of players who...let's say "need development."

Center Marreese Speights and forward Thaddeus Young are considered somewhat disappointing players going into their third and fourth seasons, respectively.

In all, the 76ers have six players on their roster 24 years old or younger, along with the number two overall pick in this month's NBA draft. Only three of those players (if you count the future draft pick) are eligible for assignment to the D-League next season, however, so hiring Snyder allows the team to continue a D-League-style development process closer to home.

Whether this means the 76ers will focus more on the D-League this season is unclear - they're currently affiliated with the Springfield Armor, who may or may not be purchased by the New Jersey Nets (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/5/6/1459780/what-the-new-jersey-nets-buying). The Sixers are also fielding a full Summer League team this year, instead of combining like they did last year, so overall the 76ers are showing progress on several fronts.

The big question(s) I have are: 1) who gets Snyder's old job as Toros coach and 2) was there ever a possibility of him getting a job with the Spurs?

Taking them in reverse order: as a successful coach with knowledge of the Spurs' system (as Austin is directly affiliated with San Antonio) and some of their players, Snyder would've been a prime candidate for a future job as a Spurs assistant. It's possible that he still may be, but his taking the 76ers post would seem to indicate that such a move to San Antonio wasn't going to come in the near future.

Snyder's leaving also creates one of the best job opportunities in the D-League.

The Spurs and Toros have a very close relationship, and their front offices do a good job of stocking Austin's roster with a combination of NBA assignees, top call-up candidates and solid D-League talent every year, which should attract quality candidates. I don't know a whole lot about Snyder's assistants, Taylor Jenkins and Alex Lloyd, or whether either of them would be considered to take over.

Regardless, this job will be much sought-after, and the hiring process will be closely watched.

Bender
06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
would be nice in the spurs organization could get their good guys to stay. Everyone leaves at the first chance.

EricB
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
would be nice in the spurs organization could get their good guys to stay. Everyone leaves at the first chance.

Hes getting a promotion and theres really no room for a promotion with the Spurs.

Good luck to him.

E-RockWill
06-11-2010, 05:41 PM

I think it says more about the organization as whole that so many of its intregal guys are offered better positions elsewhere. They obviously have nobody in thier own camp that's more qaulified.