PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most pitiful display of offense in Finals history?

monosylab1k
06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
How did a team get this far when they can't make the most routine layups, wide open jumpers, or even freaking pass the ball to a wide open guy?

HarlemHeat37
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen more missed open shots and stupid turnovers..the horrible officiating adds to it..

So is everybody going to talk about how boring it is?..

monosylab1k
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Seriously, Boston should be up 20 right now if they had even grade school level fundamentals.

D-Wade #3
06-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Naw, that would be 06

ChrisRichards
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
knicks-rockets series was pretty aweful. knicks-spurs in 99 too.

Kamala
06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I love my Spurs, but I could see where the 2007 finals was difficult to watch if you lived elsewhere.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
'03 was the hardest to watch, IMO

One game was like 33-30 at the HALF.

Shastafarian
06-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I said it in the game thread and I'll say it here. Game 3 of the '98 finals.

Utah scored 54 points...total.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-10-2010, 11:07 PM

I vividly remember that game. Unreal.

jacobdrj
06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Sunday, June 7, 1998...
96 Bulls, 54 Jazz

crc21209
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM

:lol That was some crazy shit...

hitmanyr2k
06-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Because Pip was locking the Jazz up in that series :lol

BUMP
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
The 1999 Finals were pretty bad. Although obviously the Spurs were a great defensive team that year.

96 points by the Spurs was the highest scoring game and the only one where either of them got over 90

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
:lol

I love me my Spurs but it seemed like every Finals they played the discussion was about just how poor the offense was. Granted, they built their legacy on defense and that's where their bread was buttered, but they've won four titles and every single one of them had people lamenting the offense if they weren't a fan of one of the participants.

TampaDude
06-11-2010, 12:16 AM
:lol

I love me my Spurs but it seemed like every Finals they played the discussion was about just how poor the offense was. Granted, they built their legacy on defense and that's where their bread was buttered, but they've won four titles and every single one of them had people lamenting the offense if they weren't a fan of one of the participants.

Defense
Wins
Championships

spurs10
06-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Defense
Wins
Championships
Apparently! :lobt2:

Blake
06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
League officials decided to hold a best-of-three tiebreaker on neutral ground. Should Millville win, they would be second-half champions, and force another round of playoffs. But if Trenton won the tiebreaker, the Capital City would capture both halves of the season and win the championship outright.

The tiebreak series teemed with ugliness and controversy. In the first game, on April 29, 1900, at Bristol, Pa., Millville took a bruising 18-13 win. "It was rough house, and hold and kick, kick, kick," complained a Trenton True American sportswriter. "It was not a basketball game in any sense of the word."

The gloomy Trenton players were serenaded with a funeral march as they took the train back to Trenton. But they were to make a remarkable, if tainted, comeback.

In the second game, on May 5 in Camden, Trenton protested Millville's use of a player who had illegally jumped from another team. Millville refused to take the player off their roster, so a referee awarded Trenton the game by forfeit.

The third and deciding game in Camden on May 8 was finally played fair and square. Trenton won it, 22-19, on last-minute baskets by Endebrock and Stout, and Trenton's fans went wild.

Trenton continued to produce great players in the first decade of the 1900s, including scoring champ Harry Hough and "Dutch" Wohlfarth, who earned the nickname "The Blind Dribbler" for his then-remarkable ability to dribble the ball without looking at it.

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1900.html

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Defense
Wins
Championships

A little simplistic, but pretty true nonetheless.

The Spurs were never a great offensive team but they were pretty efficient. They played at a much slower pace with fewer possessions, the emphasis being on defensive rebounding and transition D, but they could definitely get stops on demand. Most championship teams can to some extent; which is why that old adage holds a lot of truth.

I just found it funny to hear an offensive complaint about the Finals, at least when it was framed as worst ever, after hearing everything that was said about the Spurs' Finals.

monosylab1k
06-11-2010, 12:48 AM

That's pretty bad, but I bet that had a lot to do with Chicago's defense.

Tonight through the first 3 quarters, Boston was missing easy layups, wide open jumpers, and they had some of the most inept passing I've ever seen. I swear they had at least 7 easy fast break buckets that got screwed up because they couldn't make a simple pass in transition.

If a team is inept because of great defense, that's one thing. What I saw out of Boston tonight was stuff that a bunch of mistakes that 4th graders don't make. It's amazing they were still in the game, and then won it.

Pelicans78
06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
2003 Nets-Spurs was the worst from what I remember. Every game was pretty awful offensively.

hater
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
fakers are boring

Giuseppe
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
fakers are boring

Hater, getting his projection on.

You losers thought Boston beating us would eradicate from your minds the Suns packin' yer caca high & tight.

No.

z0sa
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Hater, getting his projection on.

You losers thought Boston beating us would eradicate from your minds the Suns packin' yer caca high & tight.

No.

Culburn getting his deflection on.

Mr Bones
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm loving the finals. I don't get all the complaints that happen every time two good defensively strong teams play and the scores aren't over 100. The average soccer match usually ends with a 2-1 or 3-2 score. In baseball, a score of 8-6 is considered high-scoring. In football, 40-37 is high scoring, and hockey almost never reaches doubles figures in scoring... so why is a 90-85 basketball game suddenly viewed as some sort of horrible drudgery? I think basketball's the most exciting game in the world, and people are just so accustomed to the high level of excitement that they get spoiled. And there's a good reason why the finals aren't showcasing 135-128 games between the Warriors and Knicks: those teams don't play defense, and don't deserve to be there.

Giuseppe
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Culburn getting his deflection on.

Z, getting his fart catching on.

Get your own spiel.

4>0rings
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Naw, that would be 06:lmao

Giuseppe
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
:lmao

WTF are you :lmao about? Yer ass just got skunked a couple months back. Remember, a-hole?

Agloco
06-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Yeah I remember being in the middle of the Caribbean on a 10-night cruise and seeing this on a TV in the sports bar. That was the longest I stared at a TV in my life.

Giuseppe
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah I remember being in the middle of the Caribbean on a 10-night cruise and seeing this on a TV in the sports bar. That was the longest I stared at a TV in my life.

The cabin boy riding your stalk all the while!

peteee
06-11-2010, 06:49 PM
That's pretty bad, but I bet that had a lot to do with Chicago's defense.

Tonight through the first 3 quarters, Boston was missing easy layups, wide open jumpers, and they had some of the most inept passing I've ever seen. I swear they had at least 7 easy fast break buckets that got screwed up because they couldn't make a simple pass in transition.

If a team is inept because of great defense, that's one thing. What I saw out of Boston tonight was stuff that a bunch of mistakes that 4th graders don't make. It's amazing they were still in the game, and then won it.
why haven't you considered the possibility that the Lakers defense caused that all? Both teams played viscous defense. Every team is switching to a tougher style, that's a MOVEMENT, you feeble korean faggot.