PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick? A prime Ewing or a prime Gasol?

ezau
06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Knowing what these guys can do eventually for their respective teams, who is going to be your pick?

stretch
06-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Sorta tough. Simlar players in a lot of ways. Good post game. Good jumpshot. Long. But mentally fragile at times.

Gasol is more skilled on offense, while Ewing is probably a better defensive anchor. So it really depends on your need.

I'd probably take Gasol more often than I would take Ewing though. Gasol is so ridiculously skilled in the post, its not even funny.

ChrisRichards
06-11-2010, 08:24 AM
As a 1st option? Definitely Patrick

28 Pts, 11 rebs 4 BPG in a season is no easy feat.

As a 2nd option? Also Patrick

Ewing had to face Shaq, Mourning and Mutombo and the Chicago Bulls in the East and when he finally had his break Olajuwon's best season was waiting for him out West. Gasol as valuable as he is for the Lakers had it easy with Nick Collison, Fesenko, Boozer, Amare and Garnett's one leg.

I respect Gasol's game but this dude is not going to get much recognition in the 90's. He would be in a lower tier with Brad Daugherty, Rik Smits, Rony Seikaly and Vlade Divac.

Phillip
06-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I think Gasol didn't get a lot of recognition in this era that he would have gotten in other eras, because he was playing in a conference with 3 of the 5 best PFs of all time (Duncan, Garnett, Dirk). Not to mention Malone was still around early in his career, and other really good PFs like Amare, Boozer, Elton Brand, etc... have been around... all in the Western Conference.

Mr. Body
06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Good God, man. Patrick Ewing the first 9 times out of 10, and then the 10th time, too. Ewing was a far, far, far, far, far better player than Gasol is.

JamStone
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Lol Patrick in his prime was a 25 ppg, 11 rpg, and 3 bpg guy and a very good defensive anchor. Despite his inability to bring the Knicks a title, he was a legitimate superstar franchise player in his day. Pau is a very, very good player who is best served when a team is not built around him.

Pelicans78
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Ewing in the 80s was a beast. Quick, powerful, explosive. Unfortunately, knee injuries bbed him of much of the 90s.

ajh18
06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Patrick Ewing was a player you could build a legit title contender around, and I didn't even like his game that much. Today though, a team built around Ewing would threaten to take the East. In fact, replace Howard with Ewing in his prime and the Magic are in the finals right now.

Pau is a player that if you build around him, you get a borderline playoff team. He's good enough to be the centerpiece of a first-round exit team, and that's about it. That's not saying he's bad. Being a franchise-caliber player for a playoff team means you're damn good.

resistanze
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
This is almost akin to choosing between a prime David Robinson or Dwight Howard.

DxB
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorta tough. Simlar players in a lot of ways. Good post game. Good jumpshot. Long. But mentally fragile at times.

Gasol is more skilled on offense, while Ewing is probably a better defensive anchor. So it really depends on your need.

I'd probably take Gasol more often than I would take Ewing though. Gasol is so ridiculously skilled in the post, its not even funny.

This.

Leetonidas
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

And that's why you're a fucking dumbass who doesn't know shit about basketball and thinks Dirk is a top PF all-time. :lmao

Mel_13
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
This can only be a difficult question for those too young to have seen Ewing play in his prime.

It's Ewing, and it's not really close.

dirk4mvp
06-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Patrick Chewing, tbh.

And that's why you're a fucking dumbass who doesn't know shit about basketball and thinks Dirk is a top PF all-time. :lmao

He's a top 10 at his position. Your point?

21_Blessings
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
This can only be a difficult question for those too young to have seen Ewing play in his prime.

This.

Ewing was a monster. He just happened to play in MJ/Hakeem's era. Prime Ewing would be unquestionably the best center in the game today.

21_Blessings
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Over his failed padawan, Dwight

z0sa
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM

lol you

Phillip
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Ewing = better athlete
Gasol = more skilled

J_Paco
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Ewing = better athlete
Gasol = more skilled

Please, Gasol's best season is an average one for Ewing. Ewing averaged 20+ ppg, 10+ rpg and 2+ bpg 9 straight times in his career. Ewing eclipsed 20 ppg 13 straight years in his career. Guess how many times Gasol has accomplished either of those feats? Zero. The only skill that Gasol trumps Ewing, and easily, is passing.

Gasol is going to go down as the most overrated second-fiddle on a championship team ever. Like Jamstone said, the guy is extremely good but not as great as people believe.

TD 21
06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
It's funny how when a white ball player can wipe his ass without twisting his ankle, he becomes great. Ewing is a HOF'er, and well deserved. Pau is barely a fucking all-star.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but for once this retard is speaking the truth.

TIMMYD!
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I can't believe I'm saying it, but for once this retard is speaking the truth.

I'm also agreeing with the retard. Ewing 100% of the time.

xellos88330
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Ewing. It isn't even a contest.

BUMP
06-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Laker Hate on this site is beyond ridiculous.

These same people calling Pau trash in one thread, will call him amazing in the next one in order to make Kobe look bad. Bunch of morons

baseline bum
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
As overrated as Ewing is, he's still better than Gasol.

Agloco
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM

This. Ewing all day, every day.

Agloco
06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
This is almost akin to choosing between a prime David Robinson or Dwight Howard.

:lol

phxspurfan
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow, Ewing all the way. Not even b/c I was a Knicks fan in teh 90s (stupid Rockettes).

Ewing made a team with a bunch of scrubs and John Starks into a championship contender every year. In the same conference as Shaq, Zo, Grandmama and MJ. Tehy were 2nd best in the league for about 5 years there, 2nd to only the best player/team of all time...

The Franchise
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Ewing = better athlete
Gasol = more skilled

Wow.

dirk4mvp
06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Laker Hate on this site is beyond ridiculous.

These same people calling Pau trash in one thread, will call him amazing in the next one in order to make Kobe look bad. Bunch of morons

That goes the other way too.

Kill Yourself
06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Ewing = better athlete
Gasol = more skilled

Bob Lanier
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Ewing is probably a better defensive anchor.:lol

Bob Lanier
06-11-2010, 04:35 PM
calling Pau trash in one thread
Because worse than Patrick Ewing in his prime is trash? Worse than Patrick Ewing in his prime but better than Tim Duncan at the end of his career is a contradiction?

jdev82
06-11-2010, 05:26 PM

patrick ewing was one of the best defenders ever. pau only started doing anything on d this year, and hes still not very effective. i want to know which 6 idiots voted for gasol

phxspurfan
06-11-2010, 05:56 PM
patrick ewing was one of the best defenders ever. pau only started doing anything on d this year, and hes still not very effective. i want to know which 6 idiots voted for gasol

Gasol
Capt Bringdown, DAF86, EJFischer, ezau, Phillip, twhottt

Edward
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Phillip is a cum bubbling homo, of course he'd vote for Gasol.

BUMP
06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
That goes the other way too.

Yeah, but we already know LakerFan is retarded. Most of these SpurFans have a little common sense but the Laker hate just gets in the way when they know better.

OMG Kobe the rapist is absolutely nothing without Gasol. Collusion, collusion, collusion!!! Gasol is the real MVP!!!

Really?!?!?! We're actually comparing Ewing to a scrub like Gasol!?!? Ewing all day baby, its not even close! Pau is such a scrub!! Lakers are teh suck!!!

ezau
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM

I don't understand why people underrate Dirk all the time. Just because he doesn't play a ton of defense doesn't mean he's a scrub. I firmly believe that he would have been just as good as he is today if he was playing in a different era.

ezau
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM

I voted Gasol, because the truth is, I was too young to remember Ewing's prime:lol Still, this thread is telling me a lot about how good/great he actually is. :toast

MiamiHeat
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
where's all the

"Ewing played in a weak era of shitty athletes, he wouldnt be as good nowadays"

?

oh right, thats only when it comes to MJ.

Spursfan092120
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
For those people whose mind is cluttered with garbage, saying Gasol is better...

qWhAtFQUhpo

Vinnie_Johnson
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Well looks like we have 7 Lakers fans who don't know dick about basketball. Ewing by a mile.

bdubya
06-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Even asking the question is an insult to Ewing.

The Franchise
06-11-2010, 09:47 PM
This is like arguing prime Magic Johnson or prime Mark Jackson. Where the fuck is the debate?

baseline bum
06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
For those people whose mind is cluttered with garbage, saying Gasol is better...

qWhAtFQUhpo

That video forgot the play where Pippen teabagged Ewing.

pauls931
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank God Prime Ewing didn't play for Memphis.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Who looks more like an Ostrage?

http://www.mytown.ie/images/gallery/IMG_7070.JPG http://halfmanhalfdog.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pau-gasol2.jpg

Bob Lanier
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
How the hell do you find a picture of an ostrich without knowing how to spell ostrich?

Bob Lanier
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
where's all the

"Ewing played in a weak era of shitty athletes, he wouldnt be as good nowadays"

?

oh right, thats only when it comes to MJ.Yeah, because all positions are equally good during every era. So it naturally follows that because Jordan had essentially only one wing competitor at a time who didn't have serious holes in his game, Ewing faced only one competitive center at a time in his career, and because Bryant is faced with a number of star wings every season that Gasol also faces a Hall-of-Fame pivot every week.

Or could it be that the mid '90s were one of the most competitive times in league history for big men, while right now we have Yao, old Duncan, Howard, Gasol, and Andrew fucking Bogut? While, conversely, the Jordan craze of the '90s has led to a glut of imitators at the 2 and 3 this decade?

ezau
06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
How the hell do you find a picture of an ostrich without knowing how to spell ostrich?

what the fuck is an Ostrage? :lmao:lmao

Pelicans78
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Ewing would have destroyed Gasol down low. A healthy Ewing in his prime is easily better than Gasol.

dallaskd
06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Ewing is highly overrated, but still a mile ahead of Gasol.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
what the fuck is an Ostrage? :lmao:lmao

:lmao I sure screwed that one up, funny google new what i meant. lol

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 12:25 AM
:lmao I sure screwed that one up, funny google new what i meant. lol

damn son, thats 2

that ganja burning your brain cells, ease up

ezau
06-12-2010, 01:30 AM
damn son, thats 2

:lol Grammar Nazis on the loose

z0sa
06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
damn son, thats 2

Is it even possible to kill brain cells?

Everything I've read states the myelin simply breaks down, slowing sensorimotor ability. That's not killing your neurons, so to speak.

cobbler
06-12-2010, 02:22 AM
What would Miami know about brain cells? :lol

dirk4mvp
06-12-2010, 02:38 AM
lol angelbelow

lol BruceBowenFan

lol Capt Bringdown

lol DAF86

lol Def Rowe

lol EJFischer

lol ezau

lol MiamiHeat

lol Phillip

lol twottt

Muser
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Ewing was a monster.

ezau
06-12-2010, 02:48 AM
lol angelbelow

lol BruceBowenFan

lol Capt Bringdown

lol DAF86

lol Def Rowe

lol EJFischer

lol ezau

lol MiamiHeat

lol Phillip

lol twottt

:depressed

dirk4mvp
06-12-2010, 02:49 AM
:depressed

sup omar

BadOdor
06-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Is it even possible to kill brain cells?

Everything I've read states the myelin simply breaks down, slowing sensorimotor ability. That's not killing your neurons, so to speak.

What about the stuff you read about creationism?

lol creationism.

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2010, 03:08 AM

qWhAtFQUhpo

i wonder wheres the 3pt shot he hit only 1 all season on his first attempt for that season....

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Ewing was a monster.

He was good, but not a monster. Shaq was a monster. Not Ewing.

Ewing's career FG%: 50%
Gasol's career FG% : 52%

Both shot 74% FT, tied.

Ewing's career PPG : 21
Gasol's career PPG : 19

^^^ HOWEVER....^^^

Ewing averaged 16.3 shots per game
Gasol averages 13.5 shots per game.

So Gasol averages only 2 less points than Ewing, even though he shoots 3 less shots per game than Ewing.

Ewing = 10 rbg, 2 apg, 2.4 blkpg
Gasol = 9 rbg, 3 apg, 1.7 blkpg

It's a lot more even than you think.

Of course, Gasol played in the shithole that is Memphis, instead of the New York fucking Knicks.

Now that he's on a big market team, All-Star appearances, and has a championship.

By the way, the lack of dominant big men in today's NBA isn't because the big men all suck. It's the rules. David Stern has turned the NBA into a perimeter players league to try to bring back some Jordan ratings.

Defensive 3 second violation, no more handcheck, no more body contacts.... this hurts big men and makes them sit out of the paint for fear of 3 second violations, and they can't challenge shots anymore due to whistles being called on every fucking play.

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:13 AM
That dunk over Alonzo is just sick.

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:15 AM
He was good, but not a monster. Shaq was a monster. Not Ewing.

Ewing's career FG%: 50%
Gasol's career FG% : 52%

Both shot 74% FT, tied.

Ewing's career PPG : 21
Gasol's career PPG : 19

^^^ HOWEVER....^^^

Ewing averaged 16.3 shots per game
Gasol averages 13.5 shots per game.

So Gasol averages only 2 less points than Ewing, even though he shoots 3 less shots per game than Ewing.

Ewing = 10 rbg, 2 apg, 2.4 blkpg
Gasol = 9 rbg, 3 apg, 1.7 blkpg

It's a lot more even than you think.

Of course, Gasol played in the shithole that is Memphis, instead of the New York fucking Knicks.

Now that he's on a big market team, All-Star appearances, and has a championship.

By the way, the lack of dominant big men in today's NBA isn't because the big men all suck. It's the rules. David Stern has turned the NBA into a perimeter players league to try to bring back some Jordan ratings.

Defensive 3 second violation, no more handcheck, no more body contacts.... this hurts big men and makes them sit out of the paint for fear of 3 second violations, and they can't challenge shots anymore due to whistles being called on every fucking play.

Ewing never had the second best Shooting Guard to ever play on his team, and he also took the Olajuwon Rockets to 7 games in 1994. Could Gasol really lead that Knicks team to 7 games against Houston?

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Actually don't answer that, Gasol couldn't win a playoff game as the main guy so that was a dumb question.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Actually don't answer that, Gasol couldn't win a playoff game as the main guy so that was a dumb question.

Yeah, let's compare the Memphis Grizzlies roster to that Knicks roster.

Also, let's compare that Memphis Grizzlies roster vs the 06 Mavericks (went to Finals), the 05 Suns (WCF Finals), defending champion Spurs, etc.

LOL

You guys have a twisted view of reality. Jordan couldn't win a single game vs the Boston Celtics, 0-6, in 86 and 85 (i believe it was)

I guess he sucks too.

You need a team around you. Gasol had nobody on the Grizzlies. The fact that scrub team was even a playoff team for all those years is a credit to Gasol.

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:19 AM
I'm pretty sure Patrick Ewing could win one fucking game with that Grizzlies team.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Patrick Ewing could win one fucking game with that Grizzlies team.

I'm pretty sure he fucking couldn't.

Have you actually taken a look at the Grizzlies rosters he had?

and then look at the teams that swept him?

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Phoenix and Dallas, I highly doubt they both sweep a Ewing led team. I'm not saying Ewing is the GOAT, but he's better than Gasol.

ezau
06-12-2010, 03:26 AM
sup omar

:rolleyes

Bob Lanier
06-12-2010, 03:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Patrick Ewing could win one fucking game with that Grizzlies team.So could Gasol. He didn't. But he could. He couldn't, on the other hand, lead the '94 Knicks to beat the Pacers and most likely not the Bulls either. The Nets, sure, but they started Benoit Benjamin.

On the other hand, Patrick Ewing, whatever his flaws, was one of the best defensive players ever to lace 'em up; Gasol in his prime is a well-above-average but not great defender. And Ewing's a better scorer, though less skilled, but not a better rebounder and worse at passing. You cannot go to Gasol for 19 shots a game and get 27 points on 55% shooting. You cannot ask Gasol to anchor some of the best defenses the NBA has ever seen. Gasol's a fine player and he's got a chance of making the Hall of Fame someday, but he's not Ewing, overrated though he may have been.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Phoenix and Dallas, I highly doubt they both sweep a Ewing led team. I'm not saying Ewing is the GOAT, but he's better than Gasol.

Ewing can't do SHIT. He's good for 20-30 points on a good night. The end.

And quit overrating his defense. Ewing made the all-defensive team only 3 times in his 17 year career.

Ewing was not an all-world beater, here. He was good, but that's it. Heck, he only went to the Finals twice in his whole fucking career, and lost.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:35 AM
On the other hand, Patrick Ewing, whatever his flaws, was one of the best defensive players ever to lace 'em up;.

LOL

ok, are you guys even old enough to have seen Ewing play?

EWING NEVER WON A DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, NEVER, NOT ONCE.

He only made the All-Defensive team 3 times, 3 times in 17 seasons. NO DPOY.

Get the fuck outta here

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:36 AM
I know Ewing intimately, especially all those fucking years the HEAT had a rivalry with the Knicks.

You guys are so overrating him.....

Muser
06-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Could Gasol take those Knicks to the finals?

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Memphis Grizzlies Roster :

2004 vs defending champion San Antonio Spurs

Posey,J.Williams, Bonzi, Stromile, Miller, Battier, Outlaw, Wright, Watson etc
---------------------------------------------

2005 vs WCFinals Phoenix Suns

----------------------------------------------

2006 vs NBA Finals Dallas Mavericks

Eddie Jones, Bobby Jackson, Miller, Battier, D. Stoudamire, Wright, Warrick etc

LOL

there is not ONE SINGLE 2nd option on those teams, it's just a bunch of role players and filler scrubs, some of them don't even play in the NBA anymore. 1 guy is in Europe, the others retired, Eddie Jones was a fossil by then,

the only guy there is Mike Miller. yeah, Gasol was supposed to beat the Suns, Spurs, or Mavs with him and Mike Miller.

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE LOL

Bob Lanier
06-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Ewing made the all-defensive team only 3 times in his 17 year career.
Not that that means anything, but I wonder just why the fuck that was.

Mark Eaton, Manute Bol
Hakeem Olajuwon, Eaton
Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing
Eaton, Ewing
Olajuwon, David Robinson
Robinson, Olajuwon
Robinson, Ewing
Olajuwon, Robinson
Olajuwon, Robinson
Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo
Robinson, Olajuwon
Mutombo, Olajuwon
Mutombo, Robinson
Alonzo Mourning, Mutombo
Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal

So during his entire tenure in New York he was beaten to the two center spots by Mark Eaton, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, and Alonzo Mourning, and in his prime by Olajuwon and Robinson only. Nobody's claiming he was a better defender than any of those men, those two in particular. You can blame him for losing to Manute Bol during his rookie year and Shaq during his final season if you wish.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Could Gasol take those Knicks to the finals?

FUCK YEAH.

Pat Riley was coaching those 1994 Knicks.

and those Knicks had good role players like Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, etc..

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Not that that means anything, but I wonder just why the fuck that was.

Mark Eaton, Manute Bol
Hakeem Olajuwon, Eaton
Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing
Eaton, Ewing
Olajuwon, David Robinson
Robinson, Olajuwon
Robinson, Ewing
Olajuwon, Robinson
Olajuwon, Robinson
Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo
Robinson, Olajuwon
Mutombo, Olajuwon
Mutombo, Robinson
Alonzo Mourning, Mutombo
Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal

So during his entire tenure in New York he was beaten to the two center spots by Mark Eaton, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, and Alonzo Mourning, and in his prime by Olajuwon and Robinson only. Nobody's claiming he was a better defender than any of those men, those two in particular. You can blame him for losing to Manute Bol during his rookie year and Shaq during his final season if you wish.

It's simple

Ewing was a great player, but you guys are not aware that he was not seen as this "all time nba" defensive player in his day.

Bob Lanier
06-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Perhaps not in Miami.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Perhaps not in Miami.

Yeah, because I've seen a better defensive Center in Alonzo Mourning

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:51 AM
oh, and I want to LOL at the people who bash Gasol for not being able to stop KG

Kevin Garnett is one of the greatest players at his position in NBA history. The man is a fucking beast since he entered the NBA. You will not shut him down, period.

Blaming Gasol for this is hilarious. People want Gasol to be shutting down Hall of Famers, and if he can't, bam, he's soft.

Such bullshit.

Bob Lanier
06-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Which I did acknowledge. But if you were to list the ten best defensive centers in the history of the NBA, Ewing would be there. Below Mourning, but there.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Which I did acknowledge. But if you were to list the ten best defensive centers in the history of the NBA, Ewing would be there. Below Mourning, but there.

Ok, but the rules have changed.

Ewing's era rules are long gone. Big men are NOT ALLOWED to play Defense anymore.

There was no defensive 3-second violation in Ewing's era. He could camp the paint and clog the lane. You didn't have layup drills and dunk highlights every fucking game like you do now in 2010.

There was also a LOT MORE contact allowed back then

whereas today, ALMOST ANY FUCKING CONTACT = whistle.

Look at Gasol in Game 4, falling on his ass by himself, bam, whistle foul on Rasheed.

Ewing didn't have to experience that.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 03:57 AM

LOL

there is not ONE SINGLE 2nd option on those teams, it's just a bunch of role players and filler scrubs, some of them don't even play in the NBA anymore. 1 guy is in Europe, the others retired, Eddie Jones was a fossil by then,

the only guy there is Mike Miller. yeah, Gasol was supposed to beat the Suns, Spurs, or Mavs with him and Mike Miller.

and again, I want to requote this.

Someone please explain how Ewing or Gasol could beat the 04 Spurs, the 05 Suns, or the 06 Mavericks with those rosters.

Muser
06-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Easy, because Ewing is a better player. Not saying he would win the series, but he could take on game.

ezau
06-12-2010, 06:11 AM

LOL

I think this is one part of Gasol's career that hasn't been highlighted. Though he will never be in the class of Duncan in his prime and perhaps even KG, it's really tough to win anything in the playoffs when you have scrubs like that. The reason why that Grizzlies team even made it to the playoffs is because of Hubie Brown.

However, I would still think that Ewing in that Grizzlies team would be able to pull off at least one game.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Boiled down...

Gasol is a winner.

Ewing is a loser.

baseline bum
06-12-2010, 07:04 AM
There was no defensive 3-second violation in Ewing's era. He could camp the paint and clog the lane.

The defensive 3-second violation was part of the illegal defense rules of the 80s and 90s.

ezau
06-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Boiled down...

Gasol is a winner.

Ewing is a loser.

If a championship ring is a definition of being a winner then I think he is. Still, if Gasol had to face Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs year in, year out, I would not be surprised if he retires ringless just like Ewing.

Muser
06-12-2010, 07:19 AM
And in the 05-06 season Memphis won 49 games, Gasol must of had some help to win 49 games..

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 07:23 AM
When resisted Ewing would take the baseline jumper time & time again. Had nothing to do with Jordan, and everything to do with his mental toughness.

Honestly though? Gasol ain't much better. Wallace has cleaned his clock, took his cookie, pushed him out a foot at a time, game-to-game. He's still inside the arc, but, barely.

Muser
06-12-2010, 07:24 AM
He was so mentally weak that he took Olajuwon to 7 games!

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Thank you.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 07:51 AM
The defensive 3-second violation was part of the illegal defense rules of the 80s and 90s.

3 second defensive violation was instituted in 2001.

You are talking about Zone defenses.

That doesn't stop a team from playing 2-3, or 3-2, and having their big just stay near the rim, on the paint.

In today's NBA, you are in the paint, no defender within arms length = violation. This wasn't so in Ewing's era.

Go watch games from back then. You will see it.

Then watch games of today. All the Centers have to intentionally walk outside of the paint, on the sides, which leaves the lane wide open to a layup or dunk, making the Center have to run back and play catchup.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 07:59 AM

John Starks was the best 3 point shooter in the playoffs that year, for the Knicks.

Charles Oakley, you know him. Hard defender, rebounder. He led all players in the 1994 playoffs with offensive rebounds and was 2nd in total rebounds.

Derek Harper, Starks, and Oakley, 3 of the top 5 players in steals for the 94 playoffs.

Anthony Mason was also a solid role player.

Knicks had a solid team, coached by legendary Riley.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
and how about we remember Patrick Ewing missing a LAYUP to help choke the series?

Capt Bringdown
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, because I've seen a better defensive Center in Alonzo Mourning

Still remember the night the Admiral dropped 52 on his ass.

Both Mourning and Ewing are severely over-rated.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
John Starks was the best 3 point shooter in the playoffs that year, for the Knicks.

Charles Oakley, you know him. Hard defender, rebounder. He led all players in the 1994 playoffs with offensive rebounds and was 2nd in total rebounds.

Derek Harper, Starks, and Oakley, 3 of the top 5 players in steals for the 94 playoffs.

Anthony Mason was also a solid role player.

Knicks had a solid team, coached by legendary Riley.

35.6% from three point range is not really that great. Let's not pretend he was Steve Kerr out there.

Do you remember how great Starks' three point shooting was in game 7 of the NBA Finals that year?

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
^And no more cussing and nastiness from Jammie either since the awarding of his medal.

You're adorable.

Muser
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Olajuwon shot 50% against Ewing in that series. Can you imagine what he'd shoot on Pau?

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
^And no more cussing and nastiness from Jammie either since the awarding of his medal.

You're adorable.

Your strange butthurtness over the medal thingy is adorable.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Your strange butthurtness over the medal thingy is adorable.

Two different things, Jammie. Sure, I feel slighted not having such an august award, but, to see you, and now Harlem gettin' your Boy Scout on is certainly a hoot.

The Board Eunuchs. tee, hee.

What, you can't honestly see the humor in that, Jammie?

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Cully, I don't care about the medal. It was a nice gesture by whoever felt I deserved it. That's it. I didn't even vote in the thing. I didn't even know that it was coming until it showed up there. So it's whatever. I appreciate it but that's all it is. I didn't campaign for it. I didn't lobby for it.

And whatever large penis is up your ass regarding it is not my concern. You following me around to make mention about it is. Take that dildo out your ass because it's burning your culo even more than before you were banned.

You want one, go campaign for one. And how about start off by not spamming the entire boards with gross vaginas and other obscene pictures. Could start there.

You are quite the little annoyance. You are a mosquito. Go ask Kori to build you your own room where only you can post so you can jack off to pictures of medals you wish you had.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Cully, I don't care about the medal. It was a nice gesture by whoever felt I deserved it. That's it. I didn't even vote in the thing. I didn't even know that it was coming until it showed up there. So it's whatever. I appreciate it but that's all it is. I didn't campaign for it. I didn't lobby for it.

And whatever large penis is up your ass regarding it is not my concern. You following me around to make mention about it is. Take that dildo out your ass because it's burning your culo even more than before you were banned.

You want one, go campaign for one. And how about start off by not spamming the entire boards with gross vaginas and other obscene pictures. Could start there.

You are quite the little annoyance. You are a mosquito. Go ask Kori to build you your own room where only you can post so you can jack off to pictures of medals you wish you had.

:wow:wow

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:21 PM

lmcontrollinao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
:wow:wow

Don't give me that :wow:wow happy horseshit, Harlem. You gonna grow your balls back like Jammie did, or, are you going to be all delicate & behaved, shinin' your medal 24/7?

tee, hee.

Mavs_man_41
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM

sorry brah you got owned, the "imcontrollinao" fallback can't help ya this time. you dropped the ball on that one, that was the time to fire back or get raped.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
sorry brah you got owned, the "imcontrollinao" fallback can't help ya this time. you dropped the ball on that one, that was the time to fire back or get raped.

Please.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Spoken like the true ST gimp. You've earned your medal, son.

Wipe the shit off your lips. I didn't think even you would be a hype man for Cully.

But hey, since you were pretty much ghost after Thursday night, why not come back in and try to blast someone to try to avoid your ego-embarrassment of Thursday. I'd say I'm surprised only that it's pretty typical of you.

Mavs_man_41
06-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Please.

you ain't got no troll game outside a couple shitty one liners. just an observation

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM

You got what you wanted. There was some spit for the shine. Now go run to Kori and tell her to take my medal away because I used foul language. And go ask her to give it to you for being a good little tattle tale runt.

You're stooping down to new levels, Cully.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
You got what you wanted.

I know.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:32 PM
you ain't got no troll game outside a couple shitty one liners. just an observation

Just shows to go ya.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I know.

Me too. That's why I gave it to you.

I can be very benevolent at times.

You're welcome.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
God damn Culbear, you couldn't even get an honorable mention?..

Even namlook was mentioned..

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Me too. That's why I gave it to you.

I can be very benevolent at times.

You're welcome.

You coulda resisted me a little longer, Jammie.

------

You still don't even see the humor in it though. You were too busy trying to beat me to appreciate the moment. That's a true shame.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
God damn Culbear, you couldn't even get an honorable mention?..

Even namlook was mentioned..

I know. AZ Central had a "Poster of the Week" Award years ago. Never, not one f'in time did I receive it. I was blackballed from it.

Now this; Jammie & Harlem acting all high & mighty with their awards plastered on their moniker area for all to see.

Break my rice bowl, you cocknockers!

JamStone
06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Your issue is unjustifiable. My posts have had nothing to do with it. There is and was no moment to appreciate. Your issue is a Joseph Conrad fiction. There was no moment, no irony. Just your fiction.

In fact, had you not made an unhealthy habit of directing your bitchmadeness towards me, there still would have been no posts like that by me. I gave you a gift. That is something you don't seem to realize or appreciate. And still no thank you on your part.

Now run along and stop buzzing around my ear. Lady gaga thinks you're strange.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Your issue is unjustifiable. My posts have had nothing to do with it. There is and was no moment to appreciate. Your issue is a Joseph Conrad fiction. There was no moment, no irony. Just your fiction.

In fact, had you not made an unhealthy habit of directing your bitchmadeness towards me, there still would have been no posts like that by me. I gave you a gift. That is something you don't seem to realize or appreciate. And still no thank you on your part.

Now run along and stop buzzing around my ear. Lady gaga thinks you're strange.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

From you, I'll take that as a curtsey and a polite exit.

It still would have been nice to read a thank you though.

Mavs_man_41
06-12-2010, 01:05 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

He called you out boy!

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 01:08 PM
From you, I'll take that as a curtsey and a polite exit.

It still would have been nice to read a thank you though.

For what, ruining a hearty laugh, cuz yer too stove up to laugh at yourself?

Uh, uh.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 01:14 PM
For what, ruining a hearty laugh, cuz yer too stove up to laugh at yourself?

Uh, uh.

Lol it's been a while since you actually trolled using regular English with no exclamation points or obscure references.

Is this how you cower?

Interesting to know. I'll put that in my data bank.

jacobdrj
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Ewing wasn't an Alpha Dog on offense either... He was like Bynum's strength on defense plus MOST of Gasol's offense... If Ewing had ever had even a Penny Hardaway type player on his team to help him in the perimeter, he would have won a title...

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Lol it's been a while since you actually trolled using regular English with no exclamation points or obscure references.

Is this how you cower?

Interesting to know. I'll put that in my data bank.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 02:31 PM
tee, hee

LakasRool4eva
06-12-2010, 02:35 PM
to be honest about it Ewing was over-rated..................Gasol is da best bigman in da L......plus Ewing never even won a 'ship and Gasol already has 1...............

gasol wins it

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 02:41 PM
tee, hee

Don't try charmin' me now, Jammie.

I came to bust your balls with the fondest of intentions, and you took the olive branch out of my hand and beat me like I've always wanted Lady Gaga to beat me, only you ain't Lady Gaga.

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't understand how people think Ewing was overrated..everybody acknowledge his weaknesses and failures..who is overrating him?..even NY fans and the NY media acknowledge his weaknesses..

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't understand how people think Ewing was overrated..everybody acknowledge his weaknesses and failures..who is overrating him?..even NY fans and the NY media acknowledge his weaknesses..& E=Mc2

Big shot with the award acting like that Jew Einstein.

JamStone
06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't try charmin' me now, Jammie.

I came to bust your balls with the fondest of intentions, and you took the olive branch out of my hand and beat me like I've always wanted Lady Gaga to beat me, only you ain't Lady Gaga.

Just because you put a couple of peanuts on a piece of shit, you can't call it a candy bar. Just because you say you had fond intentions, it doesn't make your silly little posts any less troll work.

And let's be honest, you'll take a beating and like it regardless of who administers it.

Giuseppe
06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
And let's be honest, you'll take a beating and like it regardless of who administers it.

This is true, but, usually it takes the local gentry years to figure that out.

Bully, Jammie, bully for you.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
35.6% from three point range is not really that great. Let's not pretend he was Steve Kerr out there.

Do you remember how great Starks' three point shooting was in game 7 of the NBA Finals that year?

Yes, Starks sucked in the game 7, but so did Ewing

remember the missed layup?

also, how about Game 6? Starks lit up the Rockets and scored like 15-20 points in the 4th quarter