PDA

View Full Version : No Red Dead Redemption for PC.

phyzik
06-11-2010, 04:09 PM
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/109/1096617p1.html

PC gamers anxiously awaiting word from Rockstar Games on Red Dead Redemption should brace themselves: the developer said today that it is not working on a PC version of the Western shooter and it has no plans to bring Red Dead Redemption to PCs.

Answering questions on the Red Dead Redemption forum, Rockstar made its intentions clear: "As of now, there are no current plans to bring Red Dead Redemption to the PC platform. If that should change, we will let you know."

Response from one PC gamer on the forum indicates Rockstar's announcement was a big disappointment: "Well to borrow the phrase from you, 'I have no plans to purchase any Rockstar products on the PC platform any more. If that should change, I will let you know.'"

In its second quarter financial report, publisher Take-Two Interactive boosted its forecast for the fiscal year, primarily because of the huge sales of Red Dead Redemption. The game has sold more than 5 million copies to date, Take-Two said.

Cry Havoc
06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
So basically they sold enough on the consoles that they felt they didn't need to make more money?

It's always baffling to me when a developer doesn't release a game to all the systems possible. It cannot be that difficult, or cost that much money to port it to the PC, and it's basically free money after they recoup the port costs.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
It may be profitable for them to make transport it to the PC platform, but they may feel its more profitable to use those resources on something else. Just because something makes you money doesn't mean its what makes you the most money.

BlackSwordsMan
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
one of the developers said they won't release it on PC because of pirating

z0sa
06-11-2010, 05:31 PM
one of the developers said they won't release it on PC because of pirating

:lol Looks like pirating affects more than some Geek Zoners would readily believe.

Link, though?

phyzik
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Do a quick torrent search for any multi-platform game you will almost certainly find a copy for just about any console. Hell, even strictly console games are constantly being torrented.

It's easier to pirate on a PC because you have to physically mod your console but the opportunity is there...

A huge factor is that, while PC's in the world may outnumber consoles around 10:1, most of those PC's are not used for video games, but rather workstations. Making a game strictly console-based almost always increases your legit sales as alot of people dont have modded consoles.

My thinking would go along the same lines as the creators go. Make a game strictly console and suffer minimal pirating.

Release it on PC as well and lose out. Think about it... just about every console owner has a PC as well.... Now, if you have the option to play a certain game on your console for $60 or play it on your PC for free... what are you going to do?

Not only are they losing sales on the PC side, but it affects the console side, because who is going to shell out $60 if you already have it free on your PC?

I'll be honest and say if Red Dead Redemption had come out on PC on the same release date as the console version, I would probably not have purchased the console version and would have downloaded it to play on my pimped out gaming PC.

I can also list a ton of titles that I do own legitametly... This is just my account list from Direct2drive, not even listing the hard copies of games I legitametly own.

Dragon Age: Origins Awakening
Dragon Age: Origins w/ Preorder Bonus
Champion's Online
Arx Fatalis
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Shaun White Snowboarding (cant believe I paid for this shit)
Sacred 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Fallout 3
SPORE (thats correct, I didnt pirate Spore!!)
Bionic Commando Rearmed Uncensored
Shattered Suns
Space Siege (waste of money)
Legend - Hand of God
The Sims 2 Double Deluxe (another waste of money)
Genesis Rising
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa (obviously a waste of money now)
The Witcher
Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms
X3 Reunion
Shivering Isles
Medieval II: Total War
Supreme Commander
Ultima Online: Mondain's Legacy
Neverwinter Nights 2
Hitman: Blood Money
CRC 2005
Asheron's Call: Throne of Destiny
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Pirates!
Thief: Deadly Shadows
X2 - The Threat
Empire Earth 2

And I have CD cases FULL of legit copies of games as well.... There really is no ryme or reason to when and why I decide to pirate certain games. Could be because Im just to lazy to go pick it up, or they happen to release it when I dont have the cash to pay, or I just flat out think its a waste of money.

z0sa
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Pirating absolutely affects the bottom line of companies. Which major publishers then use to fuck developers. Stop pirating your games, people. If it might suck, rent it.

symple19
06-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Rockstar fail - I'm done buying any of their titles

z0sa
06-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Rockstar fail - I'm done buying any of their titles

One problem with PC gaming is that you can't rent titles and test them out. But I've never much looked into how efficient PC developers release demos. Can one demo most PC games? I would think not, from experience, but perhaps I'm wrong.

symple19
06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
One problem with PC gaming is that you can't rent titles and test them out. But I've never much looked into how efficient PC developers release demos. Can one demo most PC games? I would think not, from experience, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I almost never fuck with demos, I like to wait until it's out and then read reviews and talk to friends about a game before I buy it. Otherwise, I'll just aquire it via other means.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how many people pirate it, they would still make a tidy profit if it were to be released on PC.

I really wanted to play this game, but oh well. Plenty of titles coming up that I am WAY more eager for

phyzik
06-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Pirating absolutely affects the bottom line of companies. Which major publishers then use to fuck developers. Stop pirating your games, people. If it might suck, rent it.

and we go in a circle... why rent it when I can download it and try it out?

You may think its cliche or bullshit, but I actually purchase titles I like even after pirating them. Case in point..... Dragon age, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, and so on.... I pay for shit thats worth my dime, but I'll be fucking damned if I pay $60 for a piece of shit. I've been gaming since 1984 on an Amiga. I've been ripped off by shitty games too many times to shell out that kind of cash unless it proves itself.

Every game that has had a demo that I have liked, I have paid for.

If you cant provide a demo, that raises a flag for me and Im definately going to download that shit first before I start flashing cash.

z0sa
06-12-2010, 01:49 AM
and we go in a circle... why rent it when I can download it and try it out?

Because you're fucking over your favorite developers.

If you download and buy it, there's nothing to say. Good job. But even though publishers don't deserve their profits, the developers do.

phyzik
06-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Because you're fucking over your favorite developers.

If you download and buy it, there's nothing to say. Good job. But even though publishers don't deserve their profits, the developers do.

I qualified my previous post, please read it again. If you feel the same, well then... :rolleyes

Just because my favorite director might be George Lucas (he is not, this is just an analogy) for the first 3 star Wars movies doesnt mean Im going to give him a dime for the last 3 shitty ass Star Wars movies he came out with.

I dont owe Allegiance to people trying to entertain me and steal a buck with a shitty product.

z0sa
06-12-2010, 01:56 AM
And that's your right, to not give him a dime for a shitty product. But what right is it of yours to steal his movies?

phyzik
06-12-2010, 01:59 AM
And that's your right, to not give him a dime for a shitty product. But what right is it of yours to steal his movies?

you might have an arguement if I decided to keep the shitty product...

If it's shit, it has no room on my HDD space.... it gets deleted, never to be seen again.

z0sa
06-12-2010, 02:09 AM
you might have an arguement if I decided to keep the shitty product...

If it's shit, it has no room on my HDD space.... it gets deleted, never to be seen again.

Of course. it's the easy, free way to test shit out. I don't hold it against for liking it.

The problem is, monetary gain is the name of the game. When certain lofty goals aren't reached, it's very possible our favorite developers get less money or even downsized. And it may be happening behind the scenes.

Want a good example of this: take a look at the CNC series. it's bouncing around developers now, and has sucked ever since EA took over. EA made their money, but sales just haven't been consistent enough since Generals.

sabar
06-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Piracy affects nothing. 95% of PC users have no idea how to even unrar and mount the ISO they just downloaded. Another problem with the "piracy is killing software development" thing is that people assume that a downloaded copy is a lost sale. 99% of the stuff I download I never would of purchased anyways.

It is not stealing, it is copyright infringement. No tangible product is taken that costs the company/retail store money. Frankly, how is it not someones fundamental right to make a copy of something they have and give it to someone else?

The reason that developers don't make more games for the PC is because PC development is a nightmare. Thousands of different configurations have to be taken into account along with tons of peripherals and multiple operating systems. There is no overlord that you can run to for help like Microsoft or Sony that handle a lot of the technical stuff and supply dev kits and standards. PCs have to be upgraded and as was said above, 99% of PCs are workstations, media centers, or servers. They are not gaming PCs.

The game developers lose initial money because they have to pay Sony/Nintendo/M$ some royalty for developing on their console. But look at all the perks. Minimal customer support needed. Minimal tech support needed. No or little patching. DLC schemes bring cash. Microsoft or whoever will run your dedicated servers for you and hook you up to their service. There is no installation and no reliance on unknown configurations. You don't need your clients to have directx or an OS, you don't need DRM. You lose money to the console developer but you gain instant access to a gigantic audience of casual and hardcore gamers.

Developing for consoles is a no-brainer. Porting RDR to the PC just introduces all these problems for rockstar which will cost cash both in maintaining the product and in developing and testing the port.

The direction that the gaming industry is headed has NOTHING to do with piracy and everything to do with standards. Consoles are essentially computers built to an exact standard and game developers can easily develop and deploy games to a wide market without all the hassle that is involved in PC gaming. Even indie developers can develop for a console and reach a huge audience with nothing but a $3000 investment.

ElNono
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Piracy affects nothing. 95% of PC users have no idea how to even unrar and mount the ISO they just downloaded. Another problem with the "piracy is killing software development" thing is that people assume that a downloaded copy is a lost sale. 99% of the stuff I download I never would of purchased anyways.

It is not stealing, it is copyright infringement. No tangible product is taken that costs the company/retail store money. Frankly, how is it not someones fundamental right to make a copy of something they have and give it to someone else?

The reason that developers don't make more games for the PC is because PC development is a nightmare. Thousands of different configurations have to be taken into account along with tons of peripherals and multiple operating systems. There is no overlord that you can run to for help like Microsoft or Sony that handle a lot of the technical stuff and supply dev kits and standards. PCs have to be upgraded and as was said above, 99% of PCs are workstations, media centers, or servers. They are not gaming PCs.

The game developers lose initial money because they have to pay Sony/Nintendo/M$ some royalty for developing on their console. But look at all the perks. Minimal customer support needed. Minimal tech support needed. No or little patching. DLC schemes bring cash. Microsoft or whoever will run your dedicated servers for you and hook you up to their service. There is no installation and no reliance on unknown configurations. You don't need your clients to have directx or an OS, you don't need DRM. You lose money to the console developer but you gain instant access to a gigantic audience of casual and hardcore gamers.

Developing for consoles is a no-brainer. Porting RDR to the PC just introduces all these problems for rockstar which will cost cash both in maintaining the product and in developing and testing the port.

The direction that the gaming industry is headed has NOTHING to do with piracy and everything to do with standards. Consoles are essentially computers built to an exact standard and game developers can easily develop and deploy games to a wide market without all the hassle that is involved in PC gaming. Even indie developers can develop for a console and reach a huge audience with nothing but a $3000 investment.

+10000

You also left out the fact that from a user standpoint, consoles bring a higher level of stability. If a game doesn't run, then it's just a problem with the media. There's no other 62 other different variables that come into play to determine why it's not working, and the associated costs in technical support for the developers.

And as the line keeps on blurring between the technical capabilities of consoles vs PC systems, there's less and less incentive to keep on building for the non-standarized platforms.

ElNono
06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Want a good example of this: take a look at the CNC series. it's bouncing around developers now, and has sucked ever since EA took over. EA made their money, but sales just haven't been consistent enough since Generals.

They just haven't put out a good product. This is also a case where a game doesn't translate well to console gaming, which is where the most money is at these days. They tried with CNC 3 and flunked. CNC 4 is PC only and from what I heard, it's nothing special.

DarkReign
06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
And as the line keeps on blurring between the technical capabilities of consoles vs PC systems, there's less and less incentive to keep on building for the non-standarized platforms.

I wouldnt say the line between console and PC is blurring. While I admit the 360 and PS3 have absolutely advanced console gaming to at least be semi-comparable, it is still my opinion consoles are still waaaaaay behind the curve.

Graphically, they compare....not well, mind you, but they compare. PC
Controls...they do not compare...at all...not even a little. PC
Ease of Use...consoles win this in the most lopsided fight in the history of everything.
Games...

Ah, games. Console games are mostly derivative, popular bullshit regurgitated over-and-over by every developer in the business. Difference between Killzone, Halo, Gears of War, etc? No fucking much, all big sellers though.

Even I see differences in console games, Im not stupid. But is RDR that much of a departure from GTA? Story, setting, pacing...yes. Fundamental game mechanics, mission design/interface and overall presentation...no.

Dont get me wrong, I stated here that RDR is not GTA4 with a new paintjob. It still isnt. But the similarities are more numerous than the differences, its just that the differences are major/minor improvements that set it far enough apart to warrant praise.

But it is still just an improvement on a proven formula.

PC games have a variety that consoles just dont have...and probably never will in the next 10 years, certainly not in this console generation. Everything is a shooter, a platformer, a combination thereof, a sandbox game (actually rare on a console, outside GTA), a rythym game or an RPG/RPG Shooter hybrid.

I named just about every hit title in console gaming in the past 10 years. In one paragraph. Thats mildly pathetic.

But...I understand it, nonetheless. I am a console gamer, just not nearly as much as a PC gamer. I think its because I am a strategy game junkie. I am not even that good at them, really, but I love them. Cant get that experience on a console...probably never will, unless you consider CivRev a worthy entry (I dont, but that is opinion, nothing more).

Rome, Empire, Alpha Centauri, Civ4, Shogun, Warcraft (the RTS), Starcraft, AoE, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc, etc.

Cant get those kinds of games on a console. Theyre all big sellers, maybe thats the PCs niche. Another niche would be bleeding, razor's edge technologies (Crysis, when it first came out, brought the best rigs in the world to their knees...same with Doom3, UT3, etc).

PC is a playground of new ideas and out-of-the-box thinking. Consoles are whats proven from those ideas, fleshed out, minimized, scaled and packaged.

One is risky, the other is anything but. Just my opinion.

EmptyMan
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
The best PC setups will absolutely curbstomp any console.

The problem...they have no fucking games to play.

No mouse blows, but I made the switch to console so I'd have more options for games. Basically a $300 computer for gaming that I can hook up to a huge HDTV is chump change and that's what a console is. PC gaming is far superior, it's just not worth $2500+ for a big haus system. I know you can build them cheaper etc etc

z0sa
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Look, I'm not specifically pointing out piracy as the cause for anything. But it definitely owns a negative correlation with essentially any variable. What does piracy ever do to help or improve the bottom line, or developers? One can argue a majority of those that dl their games buy them eventually, but I'd like to see some hard evidence for that.

Cry Havoc
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
The best PC setups will absolutely curbstomp any console.

The problem...they have no fucking games to play.

No mouse blows, but I made the switch to console so I'd have more options for games. Basically a $300 computer for gaming that I can hook up to a huge HDTV is chump change and that's what a console is. PC gaming is far superior, it's just not worth $2500+ for a big haus system. I know you can build them cheaper etc etc

I can build a $600 box that will play every game on high detail at 1920x1200 and still function as a fantastic standard computer. Not to mention port out via an HDMI connection to an HDTV display.

Yeah, that's a little more expensive than a console, but you aren't just paying for a gaming machine when you buy a computer.

4>0rings
06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I can build a $600 box that will play every game on high detail at 1920x1200 but won't have RDD.:p:

Cry Havoc
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
:p:

:lol

You suck.

ElNono
06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldnt say the line between console and PC is blurring. While I admit the 360 and PS3 have absolutely advanced console gaming to at least be semi-comparable, it is still my opinion consoles are still waaaaaay behind the curve.

What I mean is, from an audio-visual standpoint, the line is a lot closer than what it used to be 10 years ago. Back then you would buy a Dreamcast and the PC was already at the same level or better, and 6 months later it completely destroyed it. That you can actually develop a game like RDR and still look incredibly good on a 6 year old console is actually pretty good. That was unheard of in the past.

And I hear you about the games. I was a huge fan of adventure games (monkey island, etc) and the genre basically doesn't fit with consoles and pretty much died on PC's too. And if not for Bethesda and BioWare being able to tweak their RPG's to make them more console friendly, thats another genre that would have been gone by now.

Ultimately you have to follow the money, and Consoles is where's it's at right now. There will be always niches that will stick on PC's (Flight Simulator anyone?), but overall, a bunch of stuff already migrated to consoles and for the reasons already stated, I don't see them coming back anytime soon.

DarkReign
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultimately you have to follow the money, and Consoles is where's it's at right now. There will be always niches that will stick on PC's (Flight Simulator anyone?), but overall, a bunch of stuff already migrated to consoles and for the reasons already stated, I don't see them coming back anytime soon.

Sad, but absolutely true.

Cry Havoc
06-17-2010, 09:19 AM

It might not matter. Cloud-based gaming could take over soon, anyway.