PDA

View Full Version : Karate Kid

xellos88330
06-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I watched it tonight. It was actually a decent movie IMO.

I give it a 8/10. Jaden Smith was alright, but needs to work a bit on his facial expressions. Jackie Chan was awesome. Chinese bully guy was awesome. The fight choreography was pretty well done. The music was excellent. Definitely worth seeing again.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Fpoonsie
06-12-2010, 03:14 AM
My opinion is that there are some movies that shouldn't be remade.

xellos88330
06-12-2010, 03:21 AM
My opinion is that there are some movies that shouldn't be remade.

That is very true, but I think aside from the martial art being kung fu, it might have actually done the franchise justice.

Fpoonsie
06-12-2010, 03:26 AM
That is very true, but I think aside from the martial art being kung fu, it might have actually done the franchise justice.

Hmmm...at most, it'd be a rental for me, but I'll prolly check it out.

xellos88330
06-12-2010, 03:34 AM
I hear you. Nostalgia made me go against my instinct to label the movie a cheap ripoff. I am actually pretty glad I went. It didn't disappoint me.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Kung Fu Kid

not karate kid

and I refuse to watch any movies with Will Smith jr in it.

Trainwreck2100
06-12-2010, 07:41 AM
son Jackie chan needed a good movie, he excelled in this, I wouldn' call it a remake cause none of the characters are the same. If you are gonna watch it do what I did and sneak in, jada pinkett smith doesn't need anymore money to make more episodes of hawthorne

JMarkJohns
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
If I ever see this, I'll never be able to live with myself. The original was my favorite movie as a kid through pre-teen years. Fuck Will Smith and this movie.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I keep hearing good things. I'm surprised. If I can get assurances that Will Smith did not do a rap remix of "You're the Best Around" for it I just might consider seeing it.

PM5K
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM
There have to be more people like me that think every time someone watches this movie Ralph Macchio sheds a tear.

CubanMustGo
06-12-2010, 02:42 PM
There have to be more people like me that think every time someone watches this movie Ralph Macchio sheds a tear.

came across this yesterday:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/ralph-macchio-admits-mixed-feelings-about-new-the-karate-kid-1018101.php

U.S. actor Ralph Macchio admits he has mixed feelings about the new remake of his iconic 1984 movie "The Karate Kid."

Macchio, 48, also starred in two "Karate" sequels, along with Pat Morita, who died in 2005.

The new version of the flick stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in the roles of karate student and master teacher.

"It's like mixed feelings. At first, I felt old. Number one, you feel old when they start remaking your stuff," Macchio told TV's "Access Hollywood" at the Los Angeles premiere for the new movie Monday night.

"Once I got past the fact that there's a whole new generation, it was more about, 'OK, you can retell this story because it's a beautiful story,'" the actor added. "It's a testament to the legacy that we created that we didn't even know we were creating. I don't look at it as the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. It's not the passing of the torch as much as it is the celebration of a great story."

Macchio went on to say he had no idea when he was making the first "Karate Kid" that the film would become a classic.

"We didn't know what we were doing. We didn't know the magic that was happening and the Pat Morita performance and all the Cobra Kai and 'wax on, wax off' and catching flies with your chopsticks and the crane just became part of everyone's childhood and that's what I'm here celebrating," Macchio said.

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I've been hearing great things about this movie. I wasn't going to check it out, but my nephew wants me to take him, so I might, just for that reason.

JMarkJohns
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
It's not that I don't think it'll be good. Whatever. It could be great. What matters is it can't be any better, so why remake something this soon, with so similar a plot and same name, only with a different age demographic involved in the plot and different fighting style than the Title suggests.

Nobody wants to see Will Smith parade his progeny around by remaking films that constructed so many of us 25-35 year-olds' childhoods.

Fuck Smith, fuck his kid, and fuck the studio that gave the green light on this. Stop piggybacking off the novelty of the original. Sink or swim on your own.

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
It's not that I don't think it'll be good. Whatever. It could be great. What matters is it can't be any better, so why remake something this soon, with so similar a plot and same name, only with a different age demographic involved in the plot and different fighting style than the Title suggests.

Nobody wants to see Will Smith parade his progeny around by remaking films that constructed so many of us 25-35 year-olds' childhoods.

Fuck Smith, fuck his kid, and fuck the studio that gave the green light on this. Stop piggybacking off the novelty of the original. Sink or swim on your own.
You're missing the point here, no offense. This is not about remaking the movie. They've all said this. It's telling the story in a different way. I haven't seen it..it could be horrible, but if not, it'd be a shame to miss a great movie because you're angry that they decided to remake a classic.

JMarkJohns
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
You're missing the point here, no offense. This is not about remaking the movie. They've all said this. It's telling the story in a different way. I haven't seen it..it could be horrible, but if not, it'd be a shame to miss a great movie because you're angry that they decided to remake a classic.

Then fuck them for not having the balls to rename it. They've admitted to wanting to parley the original's success into new success. If it's not about remaking the original, then fuck off for using the original's name.

And, it's not that different from the look of the previews. So the age, setting and style changes. Kid moves when he doesn't want to, kid gets bullied, kid learns fighting style, kid enters tournament, kid wins tournament. If there's a girl involved, there's another similarity.

I don't care that it's good. It's a fucking travesty. No amount of positive reviews is going to change my mind of that.

DPG21920
06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't get why people hate Will Smith?

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
:tu

JMarkJohns
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM

This crossed the line for me. I've already explained why. I'd be pissed with anyone, not just Smith. I'm pissed at him for this, not really anything else. Similarly, I'm pissed at Bay for ruining Transformers. You don't fuck with people's childhoods.

DPG21920
06-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Well it seems people hate on Smith around here for many other things.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I like Will Smith

I do not like Will Smith Jr, and I resent Will Smith Sr for pushing his kid on us.

after watching The Day The Earth Stood Still, that was enough for me.

DPG21920
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
If I was an actor with influence and could set my kid up with a great and exciting career and he actually had some talent, I would do the same thing.

It is not like he is some evil parent forcing his kid to do something he hates. Lets see how he turns out.

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
If I was an actor with influence and could set my kid up with a great and exciting career and he actually had some talent, I would do the same thing.

It is not like he is some evil parent forcing his kid to do something he hates. Lets see how he turns out.

and I would boycott you too.

Nepotism is a cancer on humanity.

and, his kid is a shitty actor. Have you even seen the day the earth stood still?

maybe this kung fu kid movie seems better because it doesnt require much acting.

ezzizle
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Jackie Chan is the best actor of all time .

DPG21920
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Obviously not everyone agrees with you bc they would not be flocking to the theaters.

baseline bum
06-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Independence Day
Men in Black
Wild Wild West
Every album he dropped since ditching the Fresh Prince name

baseline bum
06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Now they just need to remake Fight Club and Goodfellas. Maybe Fast Times at Ridgemont High too.

DPG21920
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
What is wrong with ID4 and MIB?

MiamiHeat
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Obviously not everyone agrees with you bc they would not be flocking to the theaters.

oh, it's very easy to manipulate the population, especially younger audiences, to go watch a certain movie.

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I liked Independence Day and Men In Black.

dirk4mvp
06-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Now they just need to remake Fight Club and Goodfellas. Maybe Fast Times at Ridgemont High too.

:vomit:

I'd rather watch Vince Young win 10 straight SuperBowl MVPs.

redzero
06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Jaden Smith looks and acts just like his father.

I liked the movie. I don't recall seeing the original, so I can't compare them.

Even though this was touched on already, I find it odd that a movie set in China in which a kid uses kung fu, is called "Karate" Kid.

JMarkJohns
06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Even though this was touched on already, I find it odd that a movie set in China in which a kid uses kung fu, is called "Karate" Kid.

It was purely to piggy-back off the success of the original film/franchise. They've admitted it.

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
i also didn't see sandlot 2
yeah..but that was a sequel, not a remake.

Spursfan092120
06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
i didn't see bad news bears remake either faggot
lmao..you didn't miss anything..it sucked......bitch. :toast

DPG21920
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
*Punch* "Welcome to Earth".............Classic.

MannyIsGod
06-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't care if people don't want to go see it because of "nostalgia" (as if this someone taints the original - give me a fucking break) but I thought Jackie Chan's acting was off the charts. Honestly, little Smith does a pretty good job too and the casting for almost every character is perfect. The way the redid the story is very well done and there are great little bits of homage done to the original.

Great movie. So far this summer has been good.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Independence Day
Men in Black
Wild Wild West
Every album he dropped since ditching the Fresh Prince name

What's wrong with Men in Black and Independence Day? I liked both of those movies.

Sisk
06-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I like Will Smith

I do not like Will Smith Jr, and I resent Will Smith Sr for pushing his kid on us.

:tu

Spursfan092120
06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Went with my brother in law and nephew to see it. It wasn't bad. Definitely a remake...a lot of the same situations, just with a foreign twist. The action was a LOT better in the new one though...and it had it's moments. Jaden did a good job though...

marini martini
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I think Jaden is an excellent actor. I can't wait to see this movie!!!

Whisky Dog
06-20-2010, 11:04 PM
The kid's a horrible actor, but he's a little kid so I give him a break. In this movie he basically plays himself, a black kid in a foreign land, sono real acting required.

Jackie Chan is really good. The movie is way too f'n long.

All in all, I wish this movie was never made. It wasn't bad, but it's just a ploy to get kids to make their parents shell out money for rehashed material that is exactly the same premise as the original. It's a scam. Unlike Pixar kids films this has no originality whatsoever.

Thankfully I raged against the system by not paying for rehashed material, I saw this as the second leg of a 3 leg movie day on one ticket - first Get Him to the Greek, second this, and 3rd was A-Team. I could hve done without this one.

703 Spurz
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM

The same cum stains who make American Idol and DWTS #1 shows every week. Why trust what the people choose to see? They're all idiots

DarkReign
06-23-2010, 04:21 PM

I dont hate W.Smith in the slightest, but basing your disagreement on what the fucking sheeple of this country like and dont like is probably the worst possible tact to take.

This is the same country where reality television is the Big Thing and nearly every person obsesses over celebrities like W.Smith.

Americans are sheep that are led by the nose in just about everything we do, be it entertainment or politics. People that realize this phenomenon and resent it are called contrarians, as if thats a derogatory remark or something.

hitmanyr2k
06-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Then fuck them for not having the balls to rename it. They've admitted to wanting to parley the original's success into new success. If it's not about remaking the original, then fuck off for using the original's name.

And, it's not that different from the look of the previews. So the age, setting and style changes. Kid moves when he doesn't want to, kid gets bullied, kid learns fighting style, kid enters tournament, kid wins tournament. If there's a girl involved, there's another similarity.

I don't care that it's good. It's a fucking travesty. No amount of positive reviews is going to change my mind of that.

and I would boycott you too.

Nepotism is a cancer on humanity.

and, his kid is a shitty actor. Have you even seen the day the earth stood still?

maybe this kung fu kid movie seems better because it doesnt require much acting.

Agreed on all points and that's the main reason I skipped this movie. You can tell the only reason Karate Kid was made was to get Will Smith's kid into his own film in an attempt to make him a household name. Using Karate Kid was a calculated move. What better way to make the kid likeable than to have him play a sympathetic figure audiences would cheer for.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't care if people don't want to go see it because of "nostalgia" (as if this someone taints the original - give me a fucking break) but I thought Jackie Chan's acting was off the charts. Honestly, little Smith does a pretty good job too and the casting for almost every character is perfect. The way the redid the story is very well done and there are great little bits of homage done to the original.

Great movie. So far this summer has been good.

I can't believe you spent your hard earned cash to see this mung.

redzero
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Thankfully I raged against the system by not paying for rehashed material, I saw this as the second leg of a 3 leg movie day on one ticket - first Get Him to the Greek, second this, and 3rd was A-Team. I could hve done without this one.

I do that all the time. Nobody checks for people sneaking into other movies where I go, and free refills of large drinks and popcorns.

DPG21920
06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Very solid movie imo.

spurraider21
07-23-2015, 12:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Q_5_9scfs

Thread
07-23-2015, 01:01 PM
The nuances of the original continue to strike me:::

*The portable shower ring & curtain hang in the shadows in Miyagi's work room before it's ever called upon. It's there. The production had the wherewithal and wisdom to place it. Didn't have to. They wanted to. And what's more, they needed to.

*The shades of darkness that the Cobra Kai are painstakingly painted with. From the start we're briefed and made aware of the hierarchy, the angst and the merciless & the merciful of this group.

*Johnny's relationship with Ali,,,it's not lodged and then abandoned. We're brought back there time & again as this boy tries to make sense of what has happened. He's under 18, we know this by the tournament he's dominated. Any youngster that young would of course be lost. He's not a cardboard cut out set in there with all the answers. He fucked up, he knows that, but, he believes there is a way back. And there just is not. That's sad.

*Daniel's mother,,,consciously aware of the class system in Southern California never lets on to her boy. Her car on it's last legs needs to be pushed to start and is done so in front of Ali's parents. Then after the date mother pulls up at the amusement park where Johnny, in his convertible is holding court with her son and Ali as reluctant participants. At 16 Daniel can see his mother in action, but, he cannot fully appreciate her majesty. At 40, he will remember.

*The background as Daniel battles in the Finals. So much is going on back there, I love to watch it...Miyagi & mother...Ali & her girlfriends...Mother's agony as her son is butchered,,,the full scale play twixt Kove & Miyagi all in pantomime.

So much more.

'84

Darth_Pelican
07-23-2015, 01:42 PM

*The portable shower ring & curtain hang in the shadows in Miyagi's work room before it's ever called upon. It's there. The production had the wherewithal and wisdom to place it. Didn't have to. They wanted to. And what's more, they needed to.

*The shades of darkness that the Cobra Kai are painstakingly painted with. From the start we're briefed and made aware of the hierarchy, the angst and the merciless & the merciful of this group.

*Johnny's relationship with Ali,,,it's not lodged and then abandoned. We're brought back there time & again as this boy tries to make sense of what has happened. He's under 18, we know this by the tournament he's dominated. Any youngster that young would of course be lost. He's not a cardboard cut out set in there with all the answers. He fucked up, he knows that, but, he believes there is a way back. And there just is not. That's sad.

*Daniel's mother,,,consciously aware of the class system in Southern California never lets on to her boy. Her car on it's last legs needs to be pushed to start and is done so in front of Ali's parents. Then after the date mother pulls up at the amusement park where Johnny, in his convertible is holding court with her son and Ali as reluctant participants. At 16 Daniel can see his mother in action, but, he cannot fully appreciate her majesty. At 40, he will remember.

*The background as Daniel battles in the Finals. So much is going on back there, I love to watch it...Miyagi & mother...Ali & her girlfriends...Mother's agony as her son is butchered,,,the full scale play twixt Kove & Miyagi all in pantomime.

So much more.

'84

*The 2 moments in the tournament when the Cobra Kai realize that Sensei's intentions go way beyond simple bullying and into a much more evil place; those camera angles, sound effects and face reactions in those moments

*The sound of suspenseful music as soon as Miyagi slaps his hands together before healing Daniel's hurt leg

*The proud fundamental competitor that beat some Kobra Kai members in the tourney until ultimately falling to Johnny in the semifinals. Johnny scouting him during the tourney.

*The moment when Daniel's frustration turns into surprise when he realizes his slave work was all part of karate training

Thread
07-23-2015, 02:21 PM
*The 2 moments in the tournament when the Cobra Kai realize that Sensei's intentions go way beyond simple bullying and into a much more evil place; those camera angles, sound effects and face reactions in those moments

*The sound of suspenseful music as soon as Miyagi slaps his hands together before healing Daniel's hurt leg

*The proud fundamental competitor that beat some Kobra Kai members in the tourney until ultimately falling to Johnny in the semifinals. Johnny scouting him during the tourney.

*The moment when Daniel's frustration turns into surprise when he realizes his slave work was all part of karate training

* "Dutch"...taking a plum part and turning it into something that triggers this film, puts it somewhere else where I bet the production never thought it would, or, could go. "Points or no points, you're dead meat." --- for him Daniel is so much more than an adversary to be dealt with in a sport bound my civilized rules of engagement. Perhaps I'm wrong and the production suggested, urged, even implored McQueen to go to that dark place. But, he actually went there to the greater glory of us all.

* One of the Kai at the top of the hill before the beach invasion see's Ali "coupling" with Daniel. He's got aspirations as leader for himself and takes relish in goading Johnny with the sight.

* The remnants of Vietnam 10 years over still persist. Not yet at ease Kove instantly is back in country, no more than a click from salvation. Charges right for Miyagi and threatens his very life within seconds. And by God you believe it, and so does the old man.

* Daniel's childish drive to be taught to punch. Of course he would, he's 16. The old man doesn't admonish him for it, he patiently listens because at 50 he knows America, and her children. Then he teaches him.

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
* "Dutch"...taking a plum part and turning it into something that triggers this film, puts it somewhere else where I bet the production never thought it would, or, could go. "Points or no points, you're dead meat." --- for him Daniel is so much more than an adversary to be dealt with in a sport bound my civilized rules of engagement. Perhaps I'm wrong and the production suggested, urged, even implored McQueen to go to that dark place. But, he actually went there to the greater glory of us all.

* One of the Kai at the top of the hill before the beach invasion see's Ali "coupling" with Daniel. He's got aspirations as leader for himself and takes relish in goading Johnny with the sight.

* The remnants of Vietnam 10 years over still persist. Not yet at ease Kove instantly is back in country, no more than a click from salvation. Charges right for Miyagi and threatens his very life within seconds. And by God you believe it, and so does the old man.

* Daniel's childish drive to be taught to punch. Of course he would, he's 16. The old man doesn't admonish him for it, he patiently listens because at 50 he knows America, and her children. Then he teaches him.

but you don't care for Usual Suspects.

Thread
07-23-2015, 02:28 PM
but you don't care for Usual Suspects.

No, and I've tried it several time.

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
No, and I've tried it several time.

Hmm. To each his own. Personally, I'm a Karate Kid fan as well. So carry one.

wontstartdumbthreads
07-23-2015, 02:35 PM
oomCIXGzsR0

Darth_Pelican
07-23-2015, 02:38 PM

*The simple life, when high schoolers spent their time riding their bikes, going to the beach, going to the arcade, and going to dances; no cell phones, laptops, or LED TVs to stare at.... And scuffles were settled with fists, not with guns, knives or social media bullying and arguments.

Thread
07-23-2015, 02:47 PM
*The simple life, when high schoolers spent their time riding their bikes, going to the beach, going to the arcade, and going to dances; no cell phones, laptops, or LED TVs to stare at.... And scuffles were settled with fists, not with guns, knives or social media bullying and arguments.

Exactly, the scene where the kids are readying the gymnasium for the dance is so fine. They're children again, the end of school coming fast. [It seems] they're oblivious to the film, to the director, to the camera. That is not by accident, it's by plan and it succeeds it's braced quest. It's a great scene, the production brings the music to introspective tones as the clock is moving, there is no testosterone here, & no Kove. Johnny is at peace, handling Halloween ( child's second favorite day) "toys" --- his smile genuine & kind.

Blake
07-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Damn some long lost posters in this thread..

Dark Reign...manny....90210...Sisk...Miami heat..

UZER
07-23-2015, 06:08 PM

So much more.

'84

Great stuff...

* Daniel's seeing drunk Miyagi as a man for the first time, a war hero with a deceased wife and child he's still tormented over, as opposed to just a funny little old Asian guy who knows karate. Bows in respect.

* The way Ali confidently just wants to be with Daniel as a friend or more, not phased at all by the social status differences or materiel things, even Daniel's ragged clothes. She gladly hops in the wagon for their old wagon first date. But she won't baby his self pitty either.

* Daniel's inability to let sleeping dogs lie with Johnny and the Cobra Kai because inside he doesn't feel inferior to them. He can't kick there ass, but he will not be beneath them.

* The subtle first life lesson Miyagi teaches Daniel, which is probably the most important " left side safe, right side safe, middle squish."

* Miyagi realising Daniel getting back out there is not just for the tournament, but a defining moment in his life. The hands clap and the music kicks in *chills*

* Bobbys inner struggle with the Kai when they are unloading on Daniel and he says, " Leave him alone man he's had enough!" Which is then shown in full with his begging Daniel for forgiveness after the out of commission instructions

* That James Horner soundtrack though out the film.

Thread
07-23-2015, 07:18 PM
* The sound of suspenseful music as soon as Miyagi slaps his hands together before healing Daniel's hurt leg

* The hands clap and the music kicks in *chills*

---Yep, the production goes to full bass there & then doesn't show us the applied method again. There is no need. We've already borne witness. We get it again, but, just the aftermath. It makes it that much more mind bending. He isn't healed, nor cured, he's still limping and tender, but, something has happened.

* The teacher who inadvertently saves Daniel on campus. There is not a lot of fighting at this school. All he's done is teach. There is no alarm, just joy from this man that he's being called upon to apply his vocation.

* Ali's father more aware of his child and her life than at first blanch. Ali's mother still in love with her husband, a sear of passion at the CC. They're good people, class conscious, yes, but, of good hearts and that's why their daughter is the girl she is and the woman she will become.

* The use of the forest green house paint. It draws the viewer to the structure and gives that person a feeling of calm, of solidarity.

* The timing in the restaurant, the tiered action. Mother just missing the kids taking notice of her and at risk son. The Kai, giddy as a child would be that's he seen this and joyously hustles on back to the group.

* The implied & evident threat of death numerous times...Daniel pushed down the hill,,,Daniel running into traffic outside school, the Kai in murderous pursuit, only the old man preventing a cataclysmic event moments later, Kove, ready to kill Myagi in the dojo,,,just like that. It's difficult for the mind to absorb this at first viewing because there is so much happening on screen and it's not a slasher movie, but, the production makes sure to loiter murder at regular intervals.

UZER
07-23-2015, 07:42 PM

So much more.

'84

Yup. Miyagi taking Daniel into the lions den, not realizing the danger, real danger he's just walked into, but keeps his cool and negotiates the contract like a boss. Then, slowly backs away step by step knowing not to turn his back because Krease just has that look in his eye.

* The time given at the beginning of the movie to slowly bring you into Daniel's world. You learn him, you feel his being a lost stranger just trying to survive in a world away from "home", youre unknowingly becoming one with him. By the end of the movie, YOU are taking on the Cobra Kai. YOU are facing those fears.

Thread
07-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Yup. Miyagi taking Daniel into the lions den, not realizing the danger, real danger he's just walked into, but keeps his cool and negotiates the contract like a boss. Then, slowly backs away step by step knowing not to turn his back because Krease just has that look in his eye.

* The time given at the beginning of the movie to slowly bring you into Daniel's world. You learn him, you feel his being a lost stranger just trying to survive in a world away from "home", youre unknowingly becoming one with him. By the end of the movie, YOU are taking on the Cobra Kai. YOU are facing those fears.

Yep, the 2nd unit production either went to New Jersey, or, painstakingly recreated it on the back lot. The row houses, the big boat automobiles (all backed in---a community act of courtesy)...the neighborhood out in force running alongside mother's big boat automobile for the first 50 feet of the trip to the promise of California. A false positive friend for Daniel at the apartment complex, he repudiates Daniel after the beach attack. Even the promise of a California pool is dashed. And the gd thing is right outside their apartment door. What a sweet set up.

He holds it all in pretty good till he's pushed down the hill on his bike. Then he pitches the bent bike into the dumpster and gives mom (coming home from work after dark, shoulders slightly slumped trying to persevere because she has no other choice) an earful as Miyagi lurks & listens in the shadows. It's about to start.

UZER
07-23-2015, 08:25 PM
I misspoke. It's Bill Conti who scored the film.

Thread
07-23-2015, 08:29 PM
I misspoke. It's Bill Conti who scored the film.

Same people did this as did "Rocky" including Conti. & Stallone found Conti.

UZER
07-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Yeah. The right score is the only thing that can pull you into the movie on that next level.

So much detail is paid attention too. Even the first scene on the beach, in the background you can see Bobby looking with sympathy at Daniel laying their face down. But they immediately show how peer pressure makes you do things when he starts the fight with daniel at the soccer tryouts because the Dutch and Johnny are watching. But if you notice, he never throws a punch, he just postures.

UZER
07-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Little things, like the way the shadows of the Kai on motorcycles cast on the houses under construction as they approach. But not until they ride into the shot coming over the hill is the fury released with the sound going from 0 to 10 as the engines rattle.

Thread
07-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Little things, like the way the shadows of the Kai on motorcycles cast on the houses under construction as they approach. But not until they ride into the shot coming over the hill is the fury released with the sound going from 0 to 10 as the engines rattle.

Good point on the shadows, Ooze. I'd forgotten them.

The attention to detail in this film is amazing. To critics, perhaps to "us" at the time it was a throw-a-way, but, it was never treated as such by the production. Not for instant. They took their time and they did it right all the way thru. And whereas "Rocky" was (I), "I did it."..."Karate Kid" was (We), "We did it."

Even the event MC doesn't quite know what to do when Johnny hijacks the trophy. A self conscious grin, --'Now wtf is this kid up to?'-- then surrenders it graciously.

DMC
07-24-2015, 12:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Q_5_9scfs
That's fucking hilarious, sweep the leg lol

DMC
07-24-2015, 12:52 AM
As for the movie, it was done when Chuck Norris was at his best, when James Ryan was doing his thing, back in those days, before Jeff Speakman, JCVD and Steven Seagal. The movie is Pat Morita, everyone else could be replaced. Ralph is good as an ignorant scared little boy but it's weird because he's like fucking 30 in that movie.

Pat Morita was even good on Happy Days.

Blake
07-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Ralph also has a weird unathletic physique. Almost had wife bearing hips.

Blake
07-24-2015, 01:02 AM
True or false: the triumphant crane kick to the face should have been illegal.

Thread
07-24-2015, 10:30 AM
True or false: the triumphant crane kick to the face should have been illegal.

Illegal, no. But, at least don't lead with it like Johnny. Christ.

unleashbaynes
07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
:lol there were people that actually liked the version with will smith's retarded kid

Blake
07-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Illegal, no. But, at least don't lead with it like Johnny. Christ.

depending on who you ask, he would have been disqualified in many karate tournaments

Thread
07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
depending on who you ask, he would have been disqualified in many karate tournaments

...then taken to juvenile hall.

UZER
07-24-2015, 11:07 AM
As for the movie, it was done when Chuck Norris was at his best, when James Ryan was doing his thing, back in those days, before Jeff Speakman, JCVD and Steven Seagal. The movie is Pat Morita, everyone else could be replaced. Ralph is good as an ignorant scared little boy but it's weird because he's like fucking 30 in that movie.

Pat Morita was even good on Happy Days.

Morita owned that role. It's great when you watch a movie and you don't see the actor playing the role, you see the character and that character only.

Blake
07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
...then taken to juvenile hall.

if Johnny pressed charges, possibly

UZER
07-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Again, attention to detail in this movie. Before the crane kick, Johnny had just gotten a point with the leg sweep followed by the direct hard kick to the face that put Daniel on his back. They set up the crane kick perfectly.

Within the movie, maybe the cheap shot that took his knee out, and the constant blatant attacks on that knee gave the refs a little sympathy.

Maybe it was a case of the refs "letting them play."

Thread
07-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Again, attention to detail in this movie. Before the crane kick, Johnny had just gotten a point with the leg sweep followed by the direct hard kick to the face that put Daniel on his back. They set up the crane kick perfectly.

Within the movie, maybe the cheap shot that took his knee out, and the constant blatant attacks on that knee gave the refs a little sympathy.

Maybe it was a case of the refs "letting them play."

It is a testament to the production that (((the karate unwashed among us, and/or the common sense unwashed among us))) doesn't care about the behavior of the officiating here. You can't (care) and do what was needed and required to be done to finish that film as it had been herded from the beach on.

Thank Christ.

We know now, all of us, the washed & unwashed alike. & it's okay.

Blake
07-24-2015, 11:29 AM
It's nit picking, but to me it's the peak triumphant landmark moment in the film.

I don't want any suspension of disbelief or asterisks next to Daniel's trophy.

Thread
07-24-2015, 11:45 AM
It's nit picking, but to me it's the peak triumphant landmark moment in the film.

I don't want any suspension of disbelief or asterisks next to Daniel's trophy.

And they never wavered throughout numerous conspiracies to murder & mayhem conceived by production and committed by characters. Not once was a police cruiser shown, nor officer displayed. Even a glimpse of either or both and it's not over-over, but, it's over.

spurraider21
07-24-2015, 12:23 PM
if Johnny pressed charges, possibly
soft

Frank Dux
07-24-2015, 01:01 PM

They wore no gloves, feet gear or head gear. The All Valley Karate Tournament seemed like it was full-contact in the Men's Under 18 Black Belt division. If that's the case, the kick was reasonable and would not warrant a disqualification. It seems like in the world of Karate Kid, they combined what you would see in a typical point-fighting tournament with that of a Kyokushin tournament.

Sometimes, Karate Kid gets lumped in with all the crappy movies of 80's and 90's that plagiarized its formula. I'm glad people see the brilliance in this movie. I think some of Miyagi's lessons are actually pretty useful. The speech about the grape in the middle road is one that anybody could benefit from, certainly young people who trying to find their way in the world.

UZER
07-24-2015, 01:14 PM
They wore no gloves, feet gear or head gear. The All Valley Karate Tournament seemed like it was full-contact in the Men's Under 18 Black Belt division. If that's the case, the kick was reasonable and would not warrant a disqualification. It seems like in the world of Karate Kid, they combined what you would see in a typical point-fighting tournament with that of a Kyokushin tournament.

Sometimes, Karate Kid gets lumped in with all the crappy movies of 80's and 90's that plagiarized its formula. I'm glad people see the brilliance in this movie. I think some of Miyagi's lessons are actually pretty useful. The speech about the grape in the middle road is one that anybody could benefit from, certainly young people who trying to find their way in the world.

Yup

Great stuff...

* Daniel's seeing drunk Miyagi as a man for the first time, a war hero with a deceased wife and child he's still tormented over, as opposed to just a funny little old Asian guy who knows karate. Bows in respect.

* The way Ali confidently just wants to be with Daniel as a friend or more, not phased at all by the social status differences or materiel things, even Daniel's ragged clothes. She gladly hops in the wagon for their old wagon first date. But she won't baby his self pitty either.

* Daniel's inability to let sleeping dogs lie with Johnny and the Cobra Kai because inside he doesn't feel inferior to them. He can't kick there ass, but he will not be beneath them.

* The subtle first life lesson Miyagi teaches Daniel, which is probably the most important " left side safe, right side safe, middle squish."

* Miyagi realising Daniel getting back out there is not just for the tournament, but a defining moment in his life. The hands clap and the music kicks in *chills*

Thread
07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
& it's nice that the production held off having a heart-to-heart twixt Mother & Miyagi. There is some stilted stuff in the beginning when it is almost compelled, but, even there it's limited and like I said "stilted." Then at the end we see Mother strongly question Miyagi after he administers to & sends this child back out there. Even here, the production insists, wisely so to go anal. He does not physically acknowledge her, nor look at her, just imperceptibly nods. Hell, if I were Mother, I'd be assuaged.

Frank Dux
07-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Yup

Word! I missed your post. Also agree on the first comment about drunk Miyagi. That scene added a lot of depth to his character.

Darth_Pelican
07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
And then the sequels came, and suddenly Daniel finds himself fighting for his life, literally. And just like that, the meaning of the original was tainted; bastardized even. Hollywood-ed

Frank Dux
07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
And then the sequels came, and suddenly Daniel finds himself fighting for his life, literally. And just like that, the meaning of the original was tainted; bastardized even. Hollywood-ed

I got pretty ridiculous in part 3 when Daniel San was able to win a fight against Karate's Bad Boy by doing a kata.

UZER
07-24-2015, 03:17 PM
I got pretty ridiculous in part 3 when Daniel San was able to win a fight against Karate's Bad Boy by doing a kata.

:lol it was pathetic. Sad sad sad. Then it gets worse with the Next Karate Kid.

DMC
07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Pat had a knack for looking however he wanted. You could tell he was uncomfortable when he was, and you could tell he was sad, angry, happy, anything. He wore it well, and was a genuine good guy character.

Blake
07-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Not once was a police cruiser shown, nor officer displayed. Even a glimpse of either or both and it's not over-over, but, it's over.

Not even in when sensai smashed the car windows in parking lot trying to punch Pat

Blake
07-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Sometimes, Karate Kid gets lumped in with all the crappy movies of 80's and 90's that plagiarized its formula. I'm glad people see the brilliance in this movie.

It borrowed a lot from Rocky to be sure.

But what made it great was that Daniel was relatable because everyone has either been in Daniel's shoes or know someone that has.

Thread
07-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Johnny Returns

by

russell-ville-man

Chapter One

"No. No, Johnny, no. Not this time."

"Ann, please." Johnny reached for his wife.

"No." She shifted toward the head of their bed.

Johnny sat heavily--closer to the foot.

"You told me not two months that it would end soon. That you'd be safe, forever here with us. You lied, Johnny."

Johnny Arnold watched them thru the sliding mirrored closet doors. "It will, Ann. It will end. I have to go, honey. I haven't a choice." He spoke into the reflection.

"To do what, Johnny?"

"I can't tell you and you know it. It's more dangerous there now as it's winding down than it's ever been." He instantly regretted this truth even before he'd finished. She'd bullied him into forsaking his oath of silence. Goddamn her.

"See, I knew it. Why you? Why not the others?"

"It doesn't matter, I have to go. I'll be back. You know it. I always come back."

"What about Johnny, he needs you now. Not two years from now." She spoke to him. He saw her in the reflection.

"It won't be two years, Ann, six months, a year tops, then it will all be over. No more Vietnam. Home for good, honey bun." He spoke to her, her face ashen, the tears welling.

His wife moved toward her husband then collapsed into his arms. He held her tightly as the sun failed the sky and their bedroom drew into darkness.

Two days later Johnny stood at the foot of his 7 year old son's bed and carefully arranged the blankets to cover him.

Johnny woke and saw the pale olive green of his father's uniform trousers.

"Dad." His son's voice causing his own tears to rise.

Johnny quickly moved to the side of the bed. "Time to go, Johnny."

"Where's mama?"

"She's in the kitchen, Johnny. She's okay."

"Is she crying?"

"Yes."

"I'll take care of her, dad. I promise."

He leaned in close and kissed his son softly on the forehead. "I knew that."

Chapter Two.

He wasn't gone 60 days when they came to the door on a late June afternoon. His mother was working a puzzle on the card table she & Johnny had played a thousand hands of two player Canasta on. Johnny was watching an episode of "Happy Days" perched in his favorite spot, upon the arm rest of the couch.

Two firm knocks---Two military caps book ending a white wisp of hair shown thru the arc of glass squares across the front door.

"Johnny." She moved away from the card table and to her son.

He clutched her hand. "I'm here, mama."

With her free hand she pulled across the door. "Johnny." Her voice now unworldly. Their only son knew this declaration was not for him.

They'd not come alone. They'd stopped by the rectory and collected Father Trapp.

"Ann, I'm so sorry." The priest spoke directly and firmly thru the dense screening.

Johnny Arnold had been classified Missing In Action, presumed dead. Their wasn't much information beyond that, or, information they were willing to furnish. The parish priest sat to one side, her son on the other as the two men did their job. It was over very quickly.

"Ann, I can stay as lon..."

"No." The coldness of his mother's tone made her son tighten his grip. She returned the gesture.

A half hour passed in silence before Johnny's mother spoke. "Baby, mama is going to lay down for a little while."

"Yes, mama."

After her husband had left she'd retreated into the house. Now, Ann Arnold retreated to their bedroom, then furiously into her mind.

Her sister, Eileen came to take care of her and Johnny. She would call uncle Stanley each night to visit with him and relay any news forthcoming. "Stan, he is with her now. She won't lose him again. She's a long way away, Stanley." Aunt Eileen's voice wracked with emotion.

Two days later Aunt Eileen took her sister to the hospital. It was the last time Johnny saw his mother alive.

(to be continued)

DMC
07-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Eileen engulfed her son's erect member with fervor, as Johnny stood there fists placed firmly on his hips.. his cock dangling majestically like Florida from the mainland. He was home.

Thread
07-25-2015, 06:46 AM
^Shits, lettin' the green eyed monster get a holt of him. tee, hee.

Darth_Pelican
08-24-2015, 03:06 PM
C_Gz_iTuRMM&feature=player_embedded

Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) Thoughts on this?

baseline bum
08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
My favorite moment of the series is when Miyagi is fighting the Cobra Kai sensei in the parking lot

Daniel: You could have have killed him
Miyagi: Ay
Daniel: Why didn't you?

DMC
08-27-2015, 01:21 PM
My favorite moment of the series is when Miyagi is fighting the Cobra Kai sensei in the parking lot

Daniel: You could have have killed him
Miyagi: hai
Daniel: Why didn't you?
fify

Thread
08-27-2015, 04:06 PM
There is something near tragic about Macchio, (post "Kid) whether it's "Vinny",,,or, an LMN movie I saw him in recently where he is a dance studio owner. An evident vulnerability that is palpable. There are times in "Vinny" where it springs up and kind of gravels the viewer, or, at least this one,,,where he turns from his friend, faces his cousin and hugs him tightly, at a loss for words as the charges are dropped. It's a seminal moment in the film as only Vinny's nephew (aside from his friend) can grasp the moment. Pesci can't identify and is jocular, though there is just a hint of base empathy here.