PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with bad backs....

johnsmith
06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I had my surgery yesterday, they removed a bunch of messed up disc and cut out some bone, I can already tell what a difference it's going to make in the long run.

So my advice is this, if you have disc problems, get it fixed, don't keep putting it off because while I'm in pain right now, I know by three weeks from now I'll be back on the links.

Bender
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
when I was 18, I had a car wreck, where I went forward and smashed my face into something... not sure what. Anyway, I had what they called a compression fracture on my back. That means the soft cartilage between two of the discs or whatever, was squished out.

They said my back would bother me off and on for the rest of my life. They were right.

I never wanted anybody poking around or operating on my spinal column though.

The Reckoning
06-12-2010, 02:54 PM
i had two transverse processors snapped off when i was playing football. it hurt to sit and hurt to stand. muscle relaxors were awesome though.

ploto
06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I had my surgery yesterday, they removed a bunch of messed up disc and cut out some bone, I can already tell what a difference it's going to make in the long run.

So my advice is this, if you have disc problems, get it fixed, don't keep putting it off because while I'm in pain right now, I know by three weeks from now I'll be back on the links.

Three weeks? Maybe three months!

stretch
06-13-2010, 10:56 AM
lol tebow

FuzzyLumpkins
06-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Everyone go out and get a lamenectomy!!

Are you a spinal surgeon or something because that is about some shitty advice.

My brother in law had two slipped and a single ruptured disc in his back and all of it arthritic. He had surgery and ever since that time his labrum has been inflamed and he has to take more pain meds now then he did before. He had to get on disability. That was 8 years ago.

Its the spine and the spine has a ton of nerves coming out of it and just the swelling alone is going to cause you some long term issues as the nerves are compressed for a very very long time from said swelling. If a lot of the sheathing in the various bundles is messed with then you are going to have chronic nerve pain and there isn't much of shit you can do to fix that.

There are few more invasive surgeries than spinal surgery and those are things like open heart and the like. If you do not take long and careful deliberation before paying some surgeon $50k to cut, fuse, poke and prod the root of your nervous system then you are a moron.

boutons_deux
06-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Back surgeries in a great proportion are a HUGE WELL-DOCUMENTED SCAM, often unnecessary, often ineffective, ALWAYS a money spinner.

We'll see if JS's wishful thinking holds up for a couple years.

The advice in general is to do everything possible before resorting to back surgery.

Dex
06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
My dad's had three back surgeries; I think one for a bulged disc and two for slipped discs. Probably the result of too many motorcycle spills. When they went out, he could barely walk and was in great amounts of pain. He has limited range of movement now and has to live gingerly on his back, but the doctors were able to fix everything.

Nobody likes going under the knife, but they can definitely do some amazing things these days.

johnsmith.
06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't worry I got your back brah! :tu

duncan228
06-13-2010, 12:57 PM
He has limited range of movement now and has to live gingerly on his back, but the doctors were able to fix everything.

Nobody likes going under the knife, but they can definitely do some amazing things these days.

Glad your dad's okay.

I think the bottom line is making sure you do the homework that's specific to your situation. Find a doctor you trust and can talk to. Understand the pros and cons and make an informed decision. They can do amazing things now, but surgery is never one-size-fits-all.

johnsmith
06-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow, we have some people that truly know everything on here and from what it looks like, they know my back even better than I do.:rolleyes

Here's what I know. I have had this issue for 12 of my 30 years of life. Sometimes it was worse than others, so sometimes I couldn't even walk, and sometimes it felt fine.

A few weeks ago it got really bad and I decided I didn't want to deal with it anymore. All they had to do was make a 1 inch incision in my lower back, shave off some of the vertabrae so they could get into the disc easier, then they shaved off a bunch of disc, and sewed me back up. I'm two days removed and I can already feel a world of difference.

So to those of you that thought it was a bad idea, or a scam..........suck it.

marini martini
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Sincerely hope it works for you, John!!!:toast

tlongII
06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I've had a foraminotomy on my neck and I'll probably have to have a fusion at some point in the future. I was hit by a car when I was 21 and will always have back issues becuase of it. Always put off getting a fusion for as long as you can as you are pretty much guaranteed to have another one once you've had your first.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 02:49 AM
come here i kick it back in