PDA

View Full Version : SEC meets with A&M

DesignatedT
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
SEC commissioner in College Station today. Seems A&M to SEC is pretty close.
http://www.texags.com/mwr/articles.asp?issue_id=1768

Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

ChipBrownOB-Twitter

DesignatedT
06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
In the latest orangebloods update:
Multiple sources tell Orangebloods.com Texas A&M has enough votes on its nine-member Board of Regents to join the Southeastern Conference and could announce that move as soon as next week.

The sources said A&M and SEC commissioner Mike Slive are now working feverishly to convince Oklahoma to join the SEC with the Aggies rather than follow Texas to the Pac-10.

Sources said Slive was meeting with A&M officials on Saturday.

There is speculation among several sources in the Big 12 that if OU had to choose between the Pac-10 and SEC, it would choose the SEC. But sources close to OU say, up to this point, the Sooners have made a decision to go with Texas and not break up one of college football's most unique rivalries.

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione was quoted in the Tulsa World last week saying the Sooners are committed to going where Texas goes.

Sources close to the SEC/Texas A&M talks say Oklahoma is still listening to proposals from the SEC. But the sources said the SEC is not interested in Oklahoma State. Trying to split OU and Oklahoma State could cause resistance in the Oklahoma Legislature, which appears to have more members who've graduated from OSU than OU, according to an informal count.

A&M APPEARS COMMITTED TO SEC

A&M's charge to the SEC is being led by Texas A&M System chancellor Mike McKinney and A&M regent Gene Stallings, who won a national title as coach at Alabama in 1992. That charge includes the argument to Oklahoma that it's better to join the SEC from a regional, financial and athletic standpoint than it is to go west to the Pac-10.

A call to Gov. Rick Perry's office Saturday by Orangebloods.com resulted in a statement from Perry released by spokesman Rob Johnson. The quotes from Perry in the statement were the same he made to the Austin American-Statesman on Thursday.

"We'll let the board of regents at the appropriate universities make the decisions," Perry said. "If it was up to me, I'd have an all-Texas conference.

"I kind of like the old Southwest Conference. But at the end of the day, it will be decisions that each individual university will make."

Sources close to Perry had initially indicated Perry would work to keep Texas and Texas A&M together. But that no longer appears to be the case. When he was asked specifically by the Statesman if Texas and A&M should stay together, Perry said:

"I think to try to sit here and try to play out every scenario that you or anybody else can come up with is not particularly productive. I think what is productive is for boards of regents to be thoughtful; to make wise, good decisions for the university."

It doesn't take binoculars to read between those lines - Perry appears to be letting McKinney, his former chief of staff, do what he thinks is best. Stallings said this week on different radio shows he thinks A&M can stand alone without Texas.

Sources close to Texas have indicated if A&M doesn't stay aligned with Texas in a move to the Pac-10, the Longhorns would not be scheduling A&M in any sport any time soon.

If so, the opening line to the Texas A&M fight song (which is almost entirely about Texas), "Good-bye to Texas University ...", could be taken quite literally.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott met with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State officials on Saturday in Oklahoma City before meeting with Texas A&M officials on Sunday, sources said.

A meeting of the Big 12 South athletic directors with Larry Scott is tentatively planned for Monday in Dallas, sources said.

Thompson
06-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow, Texas says we're obsessed with them and when we decide to leave, they throw a hissy-fit and want to blackball us. They'll need our out-of-conference game to keep their schedule strength up if they're playing in the Pac-16, especially with USC weakened for a few years. If not, though, whatever. To hell with them, we'll be playing in the SEC.

Even though it will probably be rough for a few years, I'll be proud of A&M if this goes through. Despite the 'academics' argument, I think a bigger concern for Texas is risking all their success playing against tougher competition in the SEC. Texas is choosing the easy path and A&M is choosing the fight.

DesignatedT
06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow, Texas says we're obsessed with them and when we decide to leave, they throw a hissy-fit and want to blackball us. They'll need our out-of-conference game to keep their schedule strength up if they're playing in the Pac-16, especially with USC weakened for a few years. If not, though, whatever. To hell with them, we'll be playing in the SEC.

Even though it will probably be rough for a few years, I'll be proud of A&M if this goes through. Despite the 'academics' argument, I think a bigger concern for Texas is risking all their success playing against tougher competition in the SEC. Texas is choosing the easy path and A&M is choosing the fight.

But we don't matter to Texas and their real rival is OU now remember?

Even if Texas claims they won't play us non-conference, I still think if we end up moving to the SEC they will get hit with too much political pressure and pressure from their own alumni to have to keep playing A&M.

Whatever happens in the next week I'm still proud of A&M for not bowing down like every other school in the big 12.

Thompson
06-12-2010, 10:47 PM
It would be funny if OU followed us to the SEC.

DesignatedT
06-12-2010, 10:55 PM
It would be funny if OU followed us to the SEC.

That would really stir things up. No way tu will let the OU and A&M rivalry die. They would then have to join the SEC also and then end up bringing Oklahoma state to even things out. I wouldn't even mind that option.

Amarelooms
06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
That would really stir things up. No way tu will let the OU and A&M rivalry die. They would then have to join the SEC also and then end up bringing Oklahoma state to even things out. I wouldn't even mind that option.

lol at these aggies on here....Texas doesn't need atm or ou for that matter. If anything ya'll need Texas dummy.

The Texas name will recruit regardless of the conference. Players won't go to atm just cause ya'll are in the SEC....esp when seeing the aggies getting beat down weekly by better teams. Get a grip of yourselves....

:elephant

DesignatedT
06-12-2010, 11:11 PM
lol at these aggies on here....Texas doesn't need atm or ou for that matter. If anything ya'll need Texas dummy.

The Texas name will recruit regardless of the conference. Players won't go to atm just cause ya'll are in the SEC....esp when seeing the aggies getting beat down weekly by better teams. Get a grip of yourselves....

:elephant

I'm aware that Texas doesn't need the likes of A&M and OU but I still don't feel they would be willing to stop playing the both of them hypothetically if OU and A&M were to join the SEC.

and A&M doesn't need Texas. They can make it on their own although ending the annual lone star showdown makes absolutely no sense on both sides.

Thompson
06-13-2010, 12:32 AM

http://www.ktbs.com/video/23866126/index.html

That might just happen. One of the OU coaches apparently says he got a text message from the running backs coach saying OU is going to the SEC. Will Texas be dragged kicking and screaming into the SEC? :lol

Marklar MM
06-13-2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.ktbs.com/video/23866126/index.html

That might just happen. One of the OU coaches apparently says he got a text message from the running backs coach saying OU is going to the SEC. Will Texas be dragged kicking and screaming into the SEC? :lol

Welcome to a couple days ago...it was a joke.

Thompson
06-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Welcome to a couple days ago...it was a joke.

Was it? Ah, never mind then. There's a lot of information out there, and I didn't see a date on this anywhere (I actually saw it on another board, where they are also under the impression this is current).

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 12:44 AM
The more potential divergence, the greater chance I think the conference has of staying together. In the end it's been stated by nearly every AD that their preference is to keep the conference together. If they can't get multiple teams to pull to one or the other conference, then I think it's likely they all decide to stick it out together.

Just my opinion.

Marklar MM
06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Was it? Ah, never mind then. There's a lot of information out there, and I didn't see a date on this anywhere (I actually saw it on another board, where they are also under the impression this is current).

My guess.

Thompson
06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know, I tend to think the 'we want to keep the Big 12 together' is just a statement the A.D.'s give the press, in part because they don't want any of the blame for breaking the Big 12 up when everyone else is saying the same thing. If the money were equal in the Big 12's deal they might earnestly say that, but since it isn't even close I doubt any of the big players stay in the Big 12.

I'm sorry Baylor looks like it's out in the cold, their basketball and baseball programs are good right now. I'm actually considering going to the Baylor School of Law next year, and I wish they could be in the same conference as A&M so I could see the Aggies play more often.

Marklar MM
06-13-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know, I tend to think the 'we want to keep the Big 12 together' is just a statement the A.D.'s give the press, in part because they don't want any of the blame for breaking the Big 12 up when everyone else is saying the same thing. If the money were equal in the Big 12's deal they might earnestly say that, but since it isn't even close I doubt any of the big players stay in the Big 12.

I'm sorry Baylor looks like it's out in the cold, their basketball and baseball programs are good right now. I'm actually considering going to the Baylor School of Law next year, and I wish they could be in the same conference as A&M so I could see the Aggies play more often.

The only AD's who want the conference to stay together are in the South division...the North was fed up with the Texas/Oklahoma contingent.

DesignatedT
06-13-2010, 02:32 AM

Yeah. So much information and sources out their it's hard to tell what really is going on :lol

Blake
06-13-2010, 01:38 PM
The more potential divergence, the greater chance I think the conference has of staying together. In the end it's been stated by nearly every AD that their preference is to keep the conference together. If they can't get multiple teams to pull to one or the other conference, then I think it's likely they all decide to stick it out together.

Just my opinion.

I think that's a definite possibility as of today, 6-13-10 at 1:38 pm CST.

Tomorrow I dont know.

j-6
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope the Ags go and I wish them luck. I hope the rumor about UT offering Okie State a yearly neutral site game in Houston comes true, too.

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Its not about "the fight" or the easy way out or any of that crap. Its all about money, pure and simple. Whomever gives UT or A&M or OU the better deal, they will take, period. The Ags may be talking to the SEC, and why shouldn't they, but if the Pac-10 or Big 10 or whomever gives them the sweetest deal, that's where they end up just like Texas or Oklahoma.

mookie2001
06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Hissy fit?

Rofl

if this all happens Aggys get to play the victim after another decade of poor poor pitiful football except now they'll just use arkansas'- we play in the best conference! excuse

Sisk
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Hissy fit?

Rofl

if this all happens Aggys get to play the victim after another decade of poor poor pitiful football except now they'll just use arkansas'- we play in the best conference! excuse

Is it funny because UT is trying to block A&M from moving to the SEC? :wakeup

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anywhere that UT is trying to block A&M from doing anything. If Texas (or the Ags for that matter) can get the best deal by separating from each other, they will in a heartbeat.

DesignatedT
06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anywhere that UT is trying to block A&M from doing anything. If Texas (or the Ags for that matter) can get the best deal by separating from each other, they will in a heartbeat.

Texas is threatening not to schedule A&M in the future if A&M decides to split from Texas. It's a threat that's uncalled for. A&M doesn't feel they fit in with pac10 just like Texas feels like they don't fit in with SEC, so why threaten and punish A&M if they decide to go where they feel comfortable....

Sisk
06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Texas is threatening not to schedule A&M in the future if A&M decides to split from Texas. It's a threat that's uncalled for. A&M doesn't feel they fit in with pac10 just like Texas feels like they don't fit in with SEC, so why threaten and punish A&M if they decide to go where they feel comfortable....

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Was that an actual threat or just speculation? It's only a "punishment" if you deem it so.("you" in the general sense) Texas can't punish A&M for anything, its more of a case of being ignored. Although, the fans would suffer which is why I don't think it would happen, IMO.

Besides, since when did A&M care what UT thinks? :lol

DesignatedT
06-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Was that an actual threat or just speculation? It's only a "punishment" if you deem it so. Texas can't punish A&M for anything, its more of a case of being ignored. Although, the fans would suffer which is why I don't think it would happen, IMO.

Besides, since when did A&M care what UT thinks? :lol

I agree its a threat that won't be backed up if they do indeed split. A&M not bowing down to Texas and declining the pac10 offer just might make Texas salvage the BIG12.

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I agree its a threat that won't be backed up if they do indeed split. A&M not bowing down to Texas and declining the pac10 offer just might make Texas salvage the BIG12.

I don't think anyone at UT is asking anyone else to bow down, there is no proof at least.....people are making this wayyyy too personal. Its all about money. I truly believe that whatever makes the Horns the most revenue, that is what they will do. My question is though, has anyone at Texas actually said that they will not schedule the Ags if they don't follow Texas wherever they go?

I also think A&M is doing the same thing...and there is nothing wrong with that.

mookie2001
06-13-2010, 04:36 PM
So if we keep the big 12, aggy saved it and if it breaks up it's because aggy wouldn't bow down to UT

Bush sure has a lot of power left I guess

DesignatedT
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
So if we keep the big 12, aggy saved it and if it breaks up it's because aggy wouldn't bow down to UT

Bush sure has a lot of power left I guess

uhh yes........... Texas would have been signed up for the pac10 a long time ago if A&M would have agreed to it.

and Nebraska was the one who initially caused the big12 breakup.... so no?

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
no one school is going to save or bring down the B12....they can survive Nebraska and Colorado leaving. If the remaining schools want to save it, it can happen. If they see greener pastures elsewhere, its done.

tlongII
06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
no one school is going to save or bring down the B12....they can survive Nebraska and Colorado leaving. If the remaining schools want to save it, it can happen. If they see greener pastures elsewhere, its done.

I disagree. The B12 was doomed as soon as Nebraska left for the Big-10. They can't generate the TV revenue equivalent to what the SEC gets.

samikeyp
06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I disagree. The B12 was doomed as soon as Nebraska left for the Big-10. They can't generate the TV revenue equivalent to what the SEC gets.

They couldn't generate as much with the Huskers either. The Big 12 was doomed before that, it just took someone to take the first step.

DMX7
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Right now, the Pac-10's tv deal is more pathetic. But no, the BIG XII has been doomed for a while, not just because of that.

tlongII
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Right now, the Pac-10's tv deal is more pathetic. But no, the BIG XII has been doomed for a while, not just because of that.

I agree. That's why we're expanding.