PDA

View Full Version : Okay what am I doing wrong?!

florige
06-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Why when I wash and dry my clothes they don't smell like the tons of fabric softner liquid and sheets I add to the washer and the dryer? But when my friend or sister washes clothes I can smell it as I walk through the door. People have told me to use different softners, use the softners that are included with the detergent, none of this has worked for me. Even if I put the finished clothes up to my nose I smell nothing. What am I doing wrong?? I figured that if I was using liquid softner AND dryer towels I should be able to smell something. And to be perfectly honest the clothes aren't even that soft when they are done.

boutons_deux
06-13-2010, 02:37 AM

xellos88330
06-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Isn't that the womans job?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Liquid and sheets? You use liquid if you hang dry and sheets if you dry in machine. I doubt they're cancelling out each other but who knows. Plus I don't know what happens to the liquid softener when it gets heated up in the dryer. When I would use liquid and hang dry them they smelled like the softener all day. Most people don't hang dry these days. I don't use a dryer. I don't need to wear all my clothes at once in 30 minutes so I hang 'em. Saves wear and tear on clothes and saves $$$.

ChuckD
06-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I use liquid softener and use a dryer, and I smell the scent easily. As for the wear and tear on the clothes, turning them inside out to wash and dry them helps to slow this down.

ashbeeigh
06-13-2010, 10:36 AM
You're just used to the stuff you've been using for a long time. Switch it up. It doesn't mean your clothes aren't clean. It just means your nose isn't as adept to the smell anymore.

florige
06-13-2010, 11:37 AM
You're just used to the stuff you've been using for a long time. Switch it up. It doesn't mean your clothes aren't clean. It just means your nose isn't as adept to the smell anymore.

Ive tried that Ash. I have tried using the Tide with the Downey included plus the Downey sheets, i switched up and used Gain the one my sister uses that I can smell almost instantly anytime she washes something. I tried turning the dryer down because I thought maybe the heat was killing the smell. NOTHING. Now either what Viva is saying is true that they are cancelling each other out, or my next thing will be to just wash my clothes in cold water. I mean this can't be that difficult and I for the life of me can't figure out what I am doing wrong? I mean its really not that big of a deal since my clothes are clean, but now it is just bothering me.

mrsmaalox
06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I use liquid and sheets in every load----even if the scents don't match. I never notice it much on the clothes, but it's wonderful on my sheets and that's all I care about. I don't use softener on my towels because I like them stiff. :)

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2010, 12:21 PM
......and in 5......4........3..........2.........

marini martini
06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
That's what she said!!!:lmao

Seriously Flo, you might want to run a cup of white vinegar in your last rinse cycle. It gets rid of all the chemical build up in your clothes, caused by detergent & softeners!!!:toast

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Seriously Flo, you might want to run a cup of white vinegar in your last rinse cycle. It gets rid of all the chemical build up in your clothes, caused by detergent & softeners!!!:toast
that's also good for getting rid of lint.

ploto
06-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I use both liquid in the washer and dryer sheets, and you can even smell it outside on laundry days.

Have you tried the softener liquid alone and not the kind in combo with the detergent? The fact that it is not added until the rinse cycle might help.

JudynTX
06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Gain, Spring Lavender

It makes my clothes smell great, not overbearing. My husband refuses to have his work shirts smelling like roses. :lol He thinks his buddies will say something. :lol

mookie2001
06-13-2010, 05:11 PM
You might be overloading the machine or letting the wet clothes sit for too long, that affects the smell

tlongII
06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Switch to a new allergy medication. :tu