PDA

View Full Version : America Hates Soccer

scott
06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Here's the proof!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs594.snc3/31329_419716172312_57028762312_4219266_84962_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs574.snc3/31329_419716222312_57028762312_4219270_7430697_n.j pg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs574.snc3/31329_419716237312_57028762312_4219273_7902120_n.j pg

SAtown
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Now I know where i'll be going for the next usa match. Went to Broadway 5050 in the colonade and it was pretty lame

Muser
06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Who said they do?

scott
06-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Who said they do?

Plenty of posts in this form by people who are obviously uninformed!

Blake
06-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Here's the proof!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs594.snc3/31329_419716172312_57028762312_4219266_84962_n.jpg

that might be the sleepiest crowd Ive ever seen.

at least the old people in the bottom left are enjoying themselves......I think.

scott
06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Now I know where i'll be going for the next usa match. Went to Broadway 5050 in the colonade and it was pretty lame

We'd love to have you. For the game Friday I've advise showing up early! We were at full capacity by 11:30, before the Ticket760 preview show started.

ElNono
06-13-2010, 02:58 PM
They're all messicans... :rolleyes

I'm glad somebody is making good money out of it :tu :lol

easy7
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
They're all messicans... :rolleyes

I'm glad somebody is making good money out of it :tu :lol

They're exploiting Mexicans in the USA? Say it ain't so... :toast

scott
06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Here's one after the US scored from someone sitting at the bar

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs598.snc3/31525_134925033185219_100000031683758_390048_82721 _n.jpg

Sisk
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Where is this?

Sisk
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Where is this?

scott
06-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Freetail Brewing Co.

www.freetailbrewing.com

Sisk
06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Are you the owner?

scott
06-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Yessir

rascal
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Put on a MLS game after the World Cup is finished and see how many fans you get there to watch soccer.

urunobili
06-13-2010, 05:20 PM
y'all should see my Facebook when i was congratulating my american friends about all this how some haters came to bite and got ass fucked badly by their own fellow countrymen... even EricB on here showed some interest... loving every moment of it congratulations :tu

Bukefal
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Seems like a nice place scott :toast

scott
06-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Put on a MLS game after the World Cup is finished and see how many fans you get there to watch soccer.

We host MLS Game of the Week watching parties every week. And it's not because we are trying to drive away business.

scott
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Seems like a nice place scott :toast

Thanks!

scott
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
y'all should see my Facebook when i was congratulating my american friends about all this how some haters came to bite and got ass fucked badly by their own fellow countrymen... even EricB on here showed some interest... loving every moment of it congratulations :tu

Absolutely - interest in the sport only continues to grow in the states, and it's great to see. Don't understand why some people don't want to see it grow.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Absolutely - interest in the sport only continues to grow in the states, and it's great to see. Don't understand why some people don't want to see it grow.

:tu nice place

There wasn't almost an MLS season this year. That would have been a huge setback for the progression of the sport in the US. I hated America Football when I first came to the States....then I learned the rules and I've loved it ever since. It has to start with a baseline where we have to learn all the basic rules and get more exposure. That will happen more next year when more foreign stars come to MLS. Henry is on his way I think.

TampaDude
06-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Yessir

Gotta try some of that Hopothetical the next time I'm in SA. :hat

MannyIsGod
06-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Bad ass Scott. That looks a lot like the place I was at in Denver. The crowd was fairly rowdy to so it made for a pretty great time. I'm definitely coming by your bar when I'm in town in a couple weeks and hopefully it will be to watch the USA in the round of 16.

tlongII
06-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Portland joins the MLS in 2011. Soccer is HUGE here! Been big since the late 70's.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 02:22 AM

fail, who wants to watch a bunch of no names play?

you must put on the better leagues to the viewers like EPL, SERIE A, LA LIGA...

Muser
06-14-2010, 05:38 AM
The MLS sucks, watch the EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga/La Liga etc for some good shit.

scott
06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Portland joins the MLS in 2011. Soccer is HUGE here! Been big since the late 70's.

If the success of the Sounders is any indication, it'll be awesome in Portland too!

tlongII
06-14-2010, 09:39 AM
If the success of the Sounders is any indication, it'll be awesome in Portland too!

We have a CRAZY rivalry with the Sounders. We've played them the last 2 years even though they're currently in MLS and we're not yet. We actually beat them this year!

Gervin44Silas13
06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Too many haters.....you don't like it don't watch it!
They don't need your boring a** anyway!

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
is the MLS like australian a-league

we get over the hill prime players to come here to fill seats, but they are shit

you got local players who are shit

or you have local players still playin above 35yrs old

or recruiting no name players from south america (skillful then the best local players in ur domestic league) lmao

urunobili
06-14-2010, 02:29 PM
is the MLS like australian a-league

we get over the hill prime players to come here to fill seats, but they are shit

you got local players who are shit

or you have local players still playin above 35yrs old

or recruiting no name players from south america (skillful then the best local players in ur domestic league) lmao

you also get the Asian leftover's that couldn't make it to Europe there :wakeup

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
you also get the Asian leftover's that couldn't make it to Europe there :wakeup

not many asians come here man when they get paid better contracts in jp or korean leagues...we get a few aus guys playin over there cause of better salary and competition

Whisky Dog
06-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Americans don't get into the top European leagues because 1) It cones on at odd times and isn't shown here much, and 2) there is no geographical ties or bonds to people and the teams. Most Americans couldn't care less about Tottenham and Manchester, but you put Dallas vs Philly and we know what that's about. Also, except for this time of year we have two of the 3 major sports going on, especially in the fall where the King of American sports gets all the attention here.

resistanze
06-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Americans don't get into the top European leagues because 1) It cones on at odd times and isn't shown here much, and 2) there is no geographical ties or bonds to people and the teams. Most Americans couldn't care less about Tottenham and Manchester, but you put Dallas vs Philly and we know what that's about. Also, except for this time of year we have two of the 3 major sports going on, especially in the fall where the King of American sports gets all the attention here.

I think it's a good thing Americans are watching MLS in bars rather than European Leagues. Nothing better than starting home-grown support for the sport.

scott
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
We see a lot of people interested in Premier League and Champions League, but it's relatively minor until the end of the season when it doesn't have to compete with Football anymore. The fact that a lot of the big games are on at times that bars in Texas aren't even allowed to be open (Sunday before noon, although they can sell alcohol if food is in front of a customer - fun Texas laws) makes it hard too.

scott
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Gotta try some of that Hopothetical the next time I'm in SA. :hat

We just brewed Hopothesis C, the third in the Hopothetical line. Should be available in about 3-4 weeks.

Whisky Dog
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Weird delayed repost

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
We see a lot of people interested in Premier League and Champions League, but it's relatively minor until the end of the season when it doesn't have to compete with Football anymore. The fact that a lot of the big games are on at times that bars in Texas aren't even allowed to be open (Sunday before noon, although they can sell alcohol if food is in front of a customer - fun Texas laws) makes it hard too.

thats pretty shit man, how come bars arent allowed open b4 noon?

scott
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
thats pretty shit man, how come bars arent allowed open b4 noon?

In Texas the legal hours to sell alcohol are 7am-2am, assuming you have all the right licenses, with the exception of Sundays when you can only serve from Noon-2am. The exception is that if someone orders food and has it in front of them, they can also order alcohol.

Since most *bars* don't have a kitchen, they don't open that early on Sundays (some get around it by offering a free buffet or some chips or something). We have a kitchen, so it doesn't really apply to us.

Basically it all goes back to prohibition.

MannyIsGod
06-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Here in New Mexico I can walk into a fucking Walgreens, get my Clariton and then get my bottle of Tequila. Still weirds me out.

But they are way more strict about carding in bars here. I never get carded in Texas but I've been carded in every restaurant or bar where I order alcohol here.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
i dont usually hit the bars and shit when watchin major sports games...

fck that shit its hard to earn a buck off me if i aint gettin equal value in return

usually just sit back at a friends house play cards and get a carton of 24 beers and pizzas/junk food

da_suns_fan
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Im heavily outnumbered here, but I do think soccer sucks and Ive stated why.

1) Offsides is stupid. Think of the NBA with no back door passes. Its probably the dumbest rule in all of sports.

2) Its a kids game. Once Americans develop hand eye coordination, we like sports where we get to throw, catch, shoot, hit etc. That doesnt mean soccer is easy, just that its stupid.

3) Its boring. That USA/England match was crazy hyped. What did we see? Absolutely nothing. If you were gonna describe the game, you would say the Americans scored on fluke error and the game ended in a tie. A freaking tie. Give me a fucking break. Compare that to the Boston/LA game 5 last night. Both teams gave us about 20 different plays that were much more exciting than anything that EVER happens in a soccer game. I challenge soccer fans to post a youtube of their most exciting soccer goal or play they've witnessed. Compare that to Rondo's layup with 30+ seconds to go last night. Compare that to the Dudley steal in my sig. Compare to a million different basketball plays.

4) No "momentum" because no team really has true "possession" of the ball. Momentum is absolutely huge in basketball and football and allows for crazy comebacks and big upsets yet is basically non-existent in soccer.

Americans have been exposed to soccer for hundreds of years. We know the game. We play it as kids then graduate to real sports around 8-9 years old. The rest of the world likes soccer because it was introduced to them a long time ago as part of British colonization and its CHEAP. You literally need no equipment to learn and play (Pele certainly didnt).

Eventually, soccer will become less and less popular around the world as more countries develop and more sports are introduced to them.

Take Steve Nash. Grew up playing soccer. Introduced to basketball and it probably took him ten seconds to realize "this is better". Almost all sports are better. Im trying to think of another team sport that lamer than soccer. No scoring, no hitting, no hands, no point variations, no individual match-ups, no cheerleaders....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Im trying to think of another team sport that lamer than soccer.

baseball, but being less boring than baseball isn't a huge deal or anything.

resistanze
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree, basketball is much more of an expensive sport than soccer. I'm totally not a moron.

scott
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM

1) Offsides is stupid. Think of the NBA with no back door passes. Its probably the dumbest rule in all of sports.

Think of the NFL without offsides. You'd just post a WR in the endzone and throw TD passes to him once you hiked the ball. Doesn't sound very entertaining to me.

2) Its a kids game. Once Americans develop hand eye coordination, we like sports where we get to throw, catch, shoot, hit etc. That doesnt mean soccer is easy, just that its stupid.

3) Its boring. That USA/England match was crazy hyped. What did we see? Absolutely nothing. If you were gonna describe the game, you would say the Americans scored on fluke error and the game ended in a tie. A freaking tie. Give me a fucking break. Compare that to the Boston/LA game 5 last night. Both teams gave us about 20 different plays that were much more exciting than anything that EVER happens in a soccer game. I challenge soccer fans to post a youtube of their most exciting soccer goal or play they've witnessed. Compare that to Rondo's layup with 30+ seconds to go last night. Compare that to the Dudley steal in my sig. Compare to a million different basketball plays.

4) No "momentum" because no team really has true "possession" of the ball. Momentum is absolutely huge in basketball and football and allows for crazy comebacks and big upsets yet is basically non-existent in soccer.

Americans have been exposed to soccer for hundreds of years. We know the game. We play it as kids then graduate to real sports around 8-9 years old. The rest of the world likes soccer because it was introduced to them a long time ago as part of British colonization and its CHEAP. You literally need no equipment to learn and play (Pele certainly didnt).

Eventually, soccer will become less and less popular around the world as more countries develop and more sports are introduced to them.

Take Steve Nash. Grew up playing soccer. Introduced to basketball and it probably took him ten seconds to realize "this is better". Almost all sports are better. Im trying to think of another team sport that lamer than soccer. No scoring, no hitting, no hands, no point variations, no individual match-ups, no cheerleaders....

As for all the rest of those, well - then don't watch if you don't like it. I know that's a lame blow-off response, and it's not trying to be rude - it's just the truth. I don't watch basketball, baseball, hockey, poker, NASCAR, golf or a multitude of other sports or semi-sports because I don't like them. Pretty simple.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2010, 10:02 PM

wtf no.

ElNono
The closest thing to offsides in the NBA is the 3 second violation, basically for the same reason: to prevent players from camping right next to the goal/basket.

resistanze
I just can't take the comment soccer is boring seriously if you consider baseball a sport.

ElNono
06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
And lol @ soccer having no momentum and soccer becoming less popular :lmao

MannyIsGod
06-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Pretty much what scott said. I'm tired of trying to argue that its boring or not when its just an opinion. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. I don't think your so highly of your opinion that I need to know what you don't like so whatever.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Think of the NFL without offsides. You'd just post a WR in the endzone and throw TD passes to him once you hiked the ball. Doesn't sound very entertaining to me.

As for all the rest of those, well - then don't watch if you don't like it. I know that's a lame blow-off response, and it's not trying to be rude - it's just the truth. I don't watch basketball, baseball, hockey, poker, NASCAR, golf or a multitude of other sports or semi-sports because I don't like them. Pretty simple.

No...putting "soccer's offside" in the NFL would mean receivers wouldnt be allowed to catch the football past the defense. They wouldnt be allowed to try and outrun a corner back because youre not allowed to accept a pass past the defense.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 12:25 AM
No...putting "soccer's offside" in the NFL would mean receivers wouldnt be allowed to catch the football past the defense. They wouldnt be allowed to try and outrun a corner back because youre not allowed to accept a pass past the defense.

You obviously have no idea how offsides in football works. Of course a player can get a ball behind the defense in Soccer. Just like in football, they have to start the play equal or in front of them.

:lol

Fucking idiot.

baseline bum
06-15-2010, 12:53 AM
They're all drunk. Everything looks good after a few beers.

Slo spurs fan
06-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Višje številke kot pri NBA-ju in NHL-u
Posebej presentljivo pa je to, da je skupna gledanost nogometne tekme Anglija-ZDA na ABC-ju in Univisionu presegla televizijsko gledanost finalnih tekem v Ligah NBA in NHL. Odločilno zmago Blackhawksov je tako prek televizije spremljalo pol manj gledalcev kot remi nogometašev v Rustenburgu. A do najbolj gledanih nogometnih prenosov je še nekaj prostora: leta 1999 je kar 18 milijonov gledalcev gledalo finale SP-ja med ZDA in Kitajsko. V ženskem nogometu, se razume. Najbolj gledana moška tekma pa je še vedno domači finale SP-ja leta 1994 med Brazilijo in Italijo (14,5 milijona).

Will someone who is better than me in English please translate this?
It says that soccer game England-USA had much more TV viewers IN USA than NHL final game and NBA finals.

Edit: source (http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/nogomet/fifa-sp-v-nogometu-2010/bergantov-dnevnik-kje-je-slovensko-zmago-videlo-5-8-milijona-ljudi/232526)

Bukefal
06-15-2010, 03:58 AM
:)

Higher number than the NBA and NHL .

Especially suprising is that the total amount of viewers of the football game between England and USA on ABC and Univision, exceeded the number of viewers for the finals of the NBA and NHL leagues. The Blackhawks win got half the viewers than the draw football game in Rustenburg.

The most viewed football games in history are that of 1999, 18 million viewers watched the WC final between the USA and China. In women's football, of course. The most viewed mens game in the US was the 1994 world cup final game between Brasil and Italy (14,5 million).

EricB
06-15-2010, 04:09 AM
I dont understand the continual coming into the forum part that has soccer if you don't like it.

You don't like it, ok, stop coming into the goddamn threads and ruining them then.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
You obviously have no idea how offsides in football works. Of course a player can get a ball behind the defense in Soccer. Just like in football, they have to start the play equal or in front of them.

Fucking idiot.

Holy fucking shit youre a MORON.

There is no "play" in soccer as there is in football. If a midfielder kicks a forward the ball and the forward is closer to the goal than the last defender, he is offsides.

This would be like taking away "post patterns" in the NFL where the quarterback doesnt even throw the ball until the WR has the CB beat. If the rules were like soccer, the WR would have to wait to "beat" the CB until the QB actually threw the ball or else he would be offsides.

Do you get it now? Comprehend? Im beginning to think the only thing dumber than the offsides rule is YOU.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
One more just for "MannyIsGod".

http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11-offside-rule/offside-rule-trap-success.gif

In this example, number 10 is offsides.

Now pretend theyre playing football, the blue is playing a zone defense, number 10 is a WR and number 11 is the QB. Having an "offsides" rule like they have in soccer would mean you couldnt throw the ball to number 10 because he would be offsides! How fucking gay is that?

Do you get it now? I cant believe Im having to explain this to a soccer fan. I understood this rule when i was around.....8.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Because I'm an idiot who doesn't know how shit works my first analogy got shit on so now I'm coming up with one thats completely different.

I know.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
One more just for "MannyIsGod".

http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11-offside-rule/offside-rule-trap-success.gif

In this example, number 10 is offsides.

Now pretend theyre playing football, the blue is playing a zone defense, number 10 is a WR and number 11 is the QB. Having an "offsides" rule like they have in soccer would mean you couldnt throw the ball to number 10 because he would be offsides! How fucking gay is that?

Do you get it now? I cant believe Im having to explain this to a soccer fan. I understood this rule when i was around.....8.

I know how the rule works. You're the one who posted something completely different in your first post then changed it when it was shown to you how stupid it was.

You don't have to go to these lengths to try to cover up your stupid mistakes. We already know you're an idiot.

Goran Dragic
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM

In soccer they have to be equal with the defender when the ball is kicked. They don't have to be equal with the defender when the ball is thrown in football. This comparison is retarded.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 10:14 AM
:lol You switched screen names?

Anyway, Soccer and football both have a point where the offense must be behind the defense. Thats the point. Its apparently too tough to grasp.

scott
06-15-2010, 10:14 AM
This comparison is retarded.

You are right, it is. Comparing rules from completely different sports is retarded.

This comparison is like saying I don't like baseball because the catcher doesn't take the ball from the pitcher while under center.

I also don't like Golf because there are no 3-pointers.

Phenomanul
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Fucking idiot.

This is the part he's not getting....

oh and props to ElNono for the 3-second violation analogy in Basketball...

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I know how the rule works. You're the one who posted something completely different in your first post then changed it when it was shown to you how stupid it was.

You don't have to go to these lengths to try to cover up your stupid mistakes. We already know you're an idiot.

Please explain how I "changed" what I was talking about. This should be good.

And no, Im not Goran Dragic. DOK is, I believe.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
And BTW, the rule is that there has to be TWO or more players between the attacking player and the goal line when the pass is made. It's normally implicit that one of them is the goalkeeper, but that's not always the case. For example, the disallowed goal on the opening game.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Here are the two quotes Manny. Explain to me how I changed it. Im saying the exact same thing.

The point is, offsides is absolutely stupid and is a big reason why soccer is so boring. It gives an artificial advantage to the defense and is one of the main reason its rare that anything actually happens in soccer.

resistanze
06-15-2010, 11:05 AM
It's pretty stupid to compare offsides in different sports, considering that soccer is non-stop and football is a start-and-go game.

Why do people make uneducated justifications for why they don't like a sport? Simply say you don't like it.

Rather than me saying I hate baseball because they're a bunch of fatasses in where only 3 out of the 50 people on both teams play at one time, I just say I don't like it.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

This is not true. Any attacker in soccer is allowed to catch the football past the defense. He just needs to be behind the defense when the pass is made. Offsides are called when the pass is initiated, not received.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
For those interested in the history of the game, the offside rule actually used to require 3 players instead of two between the attacker and the goal. Reducing it to two did increase the amount of goals. Obviously, you couldn't go below two players without bringing back the 'kick-through' players, who simply camped right next to the opposing team's goalie.

rascal
06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Here are the two quotes Manny. Explain to me how I changed it. Im saying the exact same thing.

The point is, offsides is absolutely stupid and is a big reason why soccer is so boring. It gives an artificial advantage to the defense and is one of the main reason its rare that anything actually happens in soccer.

Agree. They need to change the rule and open up more scoring. Too many 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1 scores so far in this World Cup. Just too difficult to score goals.

The game would be more exciting with more shots on goal and gives the possibility for more comeback wins.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
It's pretty stupid to compare offsides in different sports, considering that soccer is non-stop and football is a start-and-go game.

Why do people make uneducated justifications for why they don't like a sport? Simply say you don't like it.

Rather than me saying I hate baseball because they're a bunch of fatasses in where only 3 out of the 50 people on both teams play at one time, I just say I don't like it.

Fine...then pretend there was off-sides in BASKETBALL (since theres no "stopping"). Can you imagine basketball with no fastbreaks or outlet passes?

rascal
06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
For those interested in the history of the game, the offside rule actually used to require 3 players instead of two between the attacker and the goal. Reducing it to two did increase the amount of goals. Obviously, you couldn't go below two players without bringing back the 'kick-through' players, who simply camped right next to the opposing team's goalie.

They can make it so they can't camp out inside the goal box. They also could make something like a 3 second rule like in basketball. There are ways to work around it.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
There are fast breaks in soccer, they're called counter-attacks and there's also the equivalent of outlet passes, and they're called set-piece.

Soccer is a very different sport from basketball though. It's like comparing baseball with handball. They really have nothing to do with each other.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
This is not true. Any attacker in soccer is allowed to catch the football past the defense. He just needs to be behind the defense when the pass is made. Offsides are called when the pass is initiated, not received.

I understand that, but who cares? In football and basketball, you can accept a pass ANYWHERE, regardless of your position to the defense.

Its an incredibly stupid rule.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
They can make it so they can't camp out inside the goal box. They also could make something like a 3 second rule like in basketball. There are ways to work around it.

Not with the size of the pitch, you couldn't do a 3 second rule.
And disallowing camping inside the box would automatically force defenses to retreat to basically the goal line. You're actually making the game more defensive instead of more offensive.

You're simply not going to get the scoring of sports like Basketball or Handball in football. Bigger pitch, no hands, more players, different tactics...
You either like football or watch something else...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, let's go ahead and change a sport that has been working for hundreds of years simply to satisfy the whim of idiots who don't understand it to begin with...

Why the fuck is anyone still arguing with this jackass?

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM

They prevent REAL fast break opportunities (like we see in basketball). Players cant "release" and let their man go by to give themselves a one-on-one shot with the goalie (like we see in hockey) because they would be offsides!!!

As for "we dont want players camping in the goal box", I say:

1) They should be able to do whatever they want. Much like the three second rule, its giving an artificial advantage to the defense because league officials are afraid teams couldnt defend against it or make the other team pay for doing (which they could).

2) A "three second" rule in the goal box would be a much better rule than stupid "offsides".

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I understand that, but who cares? In football and basketball, you can accept a pass ANYWHERE, regardless of your position to the defense.

All sports have rules that prevent you from either flat out cheating or taking away the spirit of the game. Basketball has a 3 second rule, hand check rule, basketball interference, etc etc etc.

Its an incredibly stupid rule.

Removing the offside rule from Soccer would be analogous to allowing Yao ming to camp under the basket in the NBA. He doesn't even need to come back and defend. It completely breaks the spirit of the game.

And the offside rule has been greatly softened over the years. It used to take 3 players, and it's been reduced to two. Also, later on, the concept of 'active player' was introduced, basically allowing the play to move on if the player that was offside was not actively part of the play.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Stolen from another message board:

"on why soccer sucks":

The offsides rule. So you can't pass the ball to your teammate who has gained an advantage on his opponent, right? Huh? In American football (and other sports) , that is the entire idea: Get behind the defense and score some points. God forbid The 11 guys on the field would be required to actually play defense. And, there is a goalie on the back end, to boot.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
And another. I agree with this one 110%:

Soccer is the third world lowest common denominator sport. Its only "popular" in other countries because it takes less skill than any other sport and can be played by the most unskilled and is cheaper than any other sport. If someone invents a sport that is cheaper and less skilled (and that would be a hard achievement since soccer is so easy and dirt cheap), that sport would immediately overtake soccer as the "most popular sport in the world". These foreign countries don't like soccer because there is something good about it, they simply have no other sport except soccer because they can't afford bats and plastic pads and basketballs, they just kick a bunch of plastic bags rolled up into a ball and the game takes no skill so you don't need coaches, trainers and equipment. Soccer is "the most popular sport in the world" only because the world has no choices and freedom to choose sports. Other countries have to resort to soccer but would gladly take any other sport. look at how baseball's WBC has taken over or how basketball is now going to be bigger than soccer everywhere in the world.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
The other thing related to this is that there's a beauty in the sport itself. You don't need to have the instant gratification of goal scoring just to enjoy a game. Now, some people would agree with this (most every soccer fan) and some don't (most casual fans, very common in Americans). Take a game like Argentina - Nigeria. That game was fun to watch, could have easily finished 8-3, but ended up being 1-0.

Ofcourse soccer can also have bad games, bad teams and bad players. Not really different than any other sport in that regard.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
And BTW, the whole 'world has no freedom to choose another sport' is such a bunch of baloney. You can catch American Football, NBA Basketball and even Baseball all around the world these days. People just happen not to like those sports as much as they like soccer...

rascal
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Not with the size of the pitch, you couldn't do a 3 second rule.
And disallowing camping inside the box would automatically force defenses to retreat to basically the goal line. You're actually making the game more defensive instead of more offensive.

You're simply not going to get the scoring of sports like Basketball or Handball in football. Bigger pitch, no hands, more players, different tactics...
You either like football or watch something else...

I don't expect to get scoring up like basketball or handball but get it up where getting more than 1 goal is possible which it seems like it is not for most teams in this World Cup.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Wow...didnt even think of this one:

Soccer is not objective. There is no play clock. The game doesn”t end after the clock has run down. This adds bias, subjectivism and appeals to lower intellects, and it destroys the drama from last second victories. Contrast such clumsy timekeeping (shame on the Swiss, who should know better) and the lack of any discernable strategy with the strategic precision of the two-minute drill in football.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
And BTW, the whole 'world has no freedom to choose another sport' is such a bunch of baloney. You can catch American Football, NBA Basketball and even Baseball all around the world these days. People just happen not to like those sports as much as they like soccer...

That went right over your head. His point is that they cant buy the stuff in third world countries.

Read this:

Soccer is Third World expensive. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem. Most people don”t consider buying hockey or football equipment expensive in civilized countries, but in the context of the rest of the world, it is expensive. On the other hand, soccer is dirt cheap – and by dirt cheap, I mean slum kids in Brazil rolling up balls of dirt to kick around.

His point was "they have no choice but to play soccer". You cant make a sock filled with newspaper bounce.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't expect to get scoring up like basketball or handball but get it up where getting more than 1 goal is possible which it seems like it is not for most teams in this World Cup.

Defensive play is nothing new. However, as teams hockey for position and are required to actually go out there and win games, you'll see teams taking more chances and you'll see teams scoring more.

The goal scoring average in the world cup has been a little over 3 goals per game for the past 50+ years. I don't think we'll see much change here.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
:lol @ the objective factor.

Are you really going to go there when I can name ref error in every single sport? :lol Tim Donaghee. :lol NFL coin toss :lol Detroit pitcher's perfect game. Need I go on?

Why can't you just say that you don't enjoy it? I don't get you trying to some how rationalize it as fact when all you keep presenting are opinions.

rascal
06-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Those are American sports and are not played as much around the world. Soccer has a longer tradition outside of the United states.

Brazil
06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
4 pages thread to confirm what we already know: da_suns_fan is an idiot

rascal
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Wow...didnt even think of this one:

They put up the injury time (minutes) or time that goes over in the game well before the final whistle.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2010, 11:51 AM
And yeah, I think the reason soccer is best in places like England and France is because they're too poor to afford baseball equipment.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-15-2010, 11:51 AM
The biggest disservice done to logic and reason in this thread hasn't been done by da_suns_fan over there, but by the people actually engaging him in discussion as if his point has any fucking merit.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
That went right over your head. His point is that they cant buy the stuff in third world countries.

Which is probably coming from somebody that never lived in a third world country. I can't speak for Somalia, but where I lived you could buy Hockey sticks, softball bats, tennis racquets, baseball bats, there was enough basketball courts to play... People just rather play soccer. That's the sport they enjoy playing and identify with.

His point was "they have no choice but to play soccer". You cant make a sock filled with newspaper bounce.

His point is baloney. Ginobili was raised in a third world country and he choose to play basketball. In 1st world countries like Germany or Spain soccer is king, even though 'supposedly' they could choose any other sport to play.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Which is probably coming from somebody that never lived in a third world country. I can't speak for Somalia, but where I lived you could buy Hockey sticks, softball bats, tennis racquets, baseball bats, there was enough basketball courts to play... People just rather play soccer. That's the sport they enjoy playing and identify with.

His point is baloney. Ginobili was raised in a third world country and he choose to play basketball. In 1st world countries like Germany or Spain soccer is king, even though 'supposedly' they could choose any other sport to play.

Soccer remains king, but only because it had a few hundred year head start.

Basketball WILL take over. You see it everywhere. From South America, to Eastern Europe, to China to the number of international players filling up NBA rosters. Europe will probably hold out the longest, but eventually they'll see the light too. It is inevitable because basketball is a far superior game and much more fun to play.

scott
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Basketball WILL take over. You see it everywhere.

Except the USA apparently, where the US-Eng game beat all 4 of the first NBA finals games.

Fail.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 12:16 PM
As the World Cup looms, an oft-repeated question deserves re-repetition: Why doesn't America love soccer along with the rest of the world?

Necessary disclaimer: Yes, a lot of people here play and enjoy soccer. But you don't have to visit South America, Africa or Western Europe to understand that it's just not the same. Elsewhere, it's massive. Here, it's niche, whatever incremental growth in interest might be occurring.

The reasons go beyond the common and (of course) highly subjective complaint of "it's boring to watch." There's politics involved. And history! Brace yourselves; it's time to get armchair-philosophical.

CNN addresses the question of soccer's secondary status here by looking at the sport's colonial legacy: America's reluctance to embrace the game, with its British roots, could be related to the historical relationship between the two countries. Plus, by the time soccer reached American shores in the late 19th Century, America was creating its own sports, and its own version of football.

Likewise, the Boston Globe's Andre Markovits, a few years back, suggested that while other countries built their sports cultures around soccer, America's was already too developed upon soccer's arrival to make much room for the sport.

British writer Michael Mandelbaum says soccer has no hope of competing in a society where the "big three" are so dominant:

Even in as large and wealthy a country as the United States, where the national appetite for playing, and even more so for watching, games is enormous, the cultural, economic and psychological space available for sport is limited and that space is already taken. Baseball, American football and basketball have long since put down deep roots, claimed particular seasons of the year as their own (although they now overlap) and gained the allegiance of the sports-following public...

One in particular of those three sports - basketball - poses a singular obstacle to the national acceptance of football. The two are too similar for them both to succeed. Each belongs to the family of games whose object is to put a ball (or similar object) in a goal.

Circa the last World Cup, in 2006, USA Today examined the question and suggested its answer was related to economics. American soccer, the story suggests, is "the casual sport of middle-class suburbanites and their elementary school offspring."

A historian told the paper class is a likely factor: "It's also worth noting that the sports that gain popularity in any culture tend to have great appeal with the lower classes. That's true with soccer in the rest of the world and with sports like basketball here."

That's certainly arguable, as are the larger geopolitical issues you can read into the soccer dichotomy, and one needn't dig too deeply before realizing soccer-bashing is a relatively common intellectual exercise.

In 2006, Steven M. Warshawsky argued in the American Thinker that the disinterest has everything to do with the relatively low scores in soccer games and what it says about American culture:

My theory is that Americans have neither the belief system nor the temperament for such a sisyphean sport as soccer. We are a society of doers, achievers, and builders. Our country is dynamic, constantly growing, and becoming ever bigger, richer, and stronger. We do not subscribe to a "zero sum" mentality. We do not labor for the sake of laboring. And we like our sports teams to score. Scoring is a tangible accomplishment that can be identified, quantified, tabulated, compared, analyzed, and, above all else, increased. This is the American way.

Go big or go home, in other words. In an essay syndicated in Slate, writer Dave Eggers acknowledges the widespread popularity soccer enjoys among American youth, suggesting it feeds into the "go home" mentality of kids who aren't athletically inclined but whose parents still sign them up for soccer:
WORLD CUP NEWS

• Grand Rapids soccer fans join the global party with World Cup GR

• Check out our soccer page!

The beauty of soccer for very young people is that, to create a simulacrum of the game, it requires very little skill. There is no other sport that can bear such incompetence. With soccer, 22 kids can be running around, most of them aimlessly, or picking weeds by the sidelines, or crying for no apparent reason, and yet the game can have the general appearance of an actual soccer match. If there are three or four coordinated kids among the 22 flailing bodies, there will actually be dribbling, a few legal throw-ins, and a couple of times when the ball stretches the back of the net. It will be soccer, more or less.

Anecdotally, he equates soccer with communism, and that our culture's relative indifference to it is a symptom of American exceptionalism.

(A)s a nation of loony but determined inventors, we prefer things we thought of ourselves. The most popular sports in America are those we conceived and developed on our own: football, baseball, basketball. If we can claim at least part of the credit for something, as with tennis or the radio, we are willing to be passively interested. But we did not invent soccer, and so we are suspicious of it.

In an essay in his book "Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs," social critic Chuck Klosterman argues that soccer's worldwide dominance is precisely why it deserves to be overlooked in America:

Soccer fanatics love to tell you that soccer is the most popular game on earth and that it's played by 500 million people every day, as if that somehow proves its value. Actually, the opposite is true. Why should I care that every single citizen of Chile and Iran and Gibraltar thoughtlessly adores "football"? Do the people making this argument also assume Coca-Cola is ambrosia? Real sports aren't for everyone. And don't accuse me of being the Ugly American for degrading soccer. That has nothing to do with it. It's not xenophobic to hate soccer; it's socially reprehensible to support it. To say you love soccer is to say you believe in enforced equality more than you believe in the value of competition and the capacity of the human spirit.

Writer Stephen H. Webb goes a step (or more) further by arguing that the politics of the soccer field are "ruining America" by reinforcing our therapeutic culture: "Indeed, soccer is a liberal's dream of tragedy: It creates an egalitarian playing field by rigorously enforcing a uniform disability" (by which he means not using your hands).

The links start to pile up the more you look around. The Weekly Standard wrote of the sport's inherent nihilism. The Huffington Post said the game defies America's meritocracy. The Atlantic Review dissented against the Western arrogance evident in such thinking. And so on.

None of this has been for lack of trying. The failure, for example, of David Beckham to ignite rabid interest in Major League Soccer is part of a history of unsuccessful attempts to stoke American interest in the game.

Slate offers a fascinating account of how, in the 1920s, soccer was on the verge of becoming a huge sport when the surging American Soccer League collapsed for obscure reasons. The USA Today story mentioned earlier explains how the North American Soccer League peaked during the 1970s and went out with disco.

So, soccer fans, after the spike of World Cup-related enthusiasm dies down, does the game have any hope of becoming a quote-unquote major sport in the U.S.? And what does it say about America that it's never cracked the stranglehold of the big three?

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Except the USA apparently, where the US-Eng game beat all 4 of the first NBA finals games.

Fail.

Thats not surprising. USA vs. England is different from Boston vs LA. Especially when the world cup happens once every four years. It will draw our national interest from a patriotic perspective, but if USA gets eliminated I doubt anyone will care. I imagine most olympic events draw a higher rating than the the typical NBA finals game.

Are you suggesting soccer is more popular than basketball?

I doubt 95% of Americans could name a single player playing in this world cup. Not just any player on team USA. Any player for any team. That 1-1 snoozefest did little to help things.

resistanze
06-15-2010, 12:21 PM
The Third World argument for soccer is hilarious and ironic. The NBA is dominated by a lot of players who grew up living in the lowest socioeconomic bracket in America. Soccer requires a ball and two nets - so does basketball. If you've ever lived in the ghetto, you'd know can find a ball court somewhere.

Why don't we see the NBA dominated by upper-class suburban children who should've had access to all this awesome equipment you talk of?

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
The Third World argument for soccer is hilarious and ironic. The NBA is dominated by a lot of players who grew up living in the lowest socioeconomic bracket in America. Soccer requires a ball and two nets - so does basketball. If you've ever lived in the ghetto, you'd know can find a ball court somewhere.

Why don't we see the NBA dominated by upper-class suburban children who should've had access to all this awesome equipment you talk of?

Are you trying to contradict or reinforce my point?

Basketball is the most popular in the poorest areas of the country for the same reasons soccer is the most popular in the most poor countries in the world for the reasons YOU JUST SAID!!

Seriously?!!

ElNono
Soccer remains king, but only because it had a few hundred year head start.

Basketball WILL take over. You see it everywhere. From South America, to Eastern Europe, to China to the number of international players filling up NBA rosters. Europe will probably hold out the longest, but eventually they'll see the light too. It is inevitable because basketball is a far superior game and much more fun to play.

We can resume this conversation once basketball takes over... :jack

scott
da_suns_fan, you seem to be spending a lot of time finding stuff on the net to make you feel okay that you don't like soccer.

News flash: it's perfectly okay that you don't like it. No one thinks any less of you. Well, not for that reason anyway.

urunobili
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
lol da_suns_fuck trolling on this board now that he gets no attention on the NBA forum :lol

Spurstro
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
This discussion has already taken place...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150202&highlight=soccer

resistanze
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Are you trying to contradict or reinforce my point?

Basketball is the most popular in the poorest areas of the country for the same reasons soccer is the most popular in the most poor countries in the world for the reasons YOU JUST SAID!!

Seriously?!!

You must be trolling, because I don't even think you're that dumb. See the other thread about this.

Blake
06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
The biggest disservice done to logic and reason in this thread hasn't been done by da_suns_fan over there, but by the people actually engaging him in discussion as if his point has any fucking merit.

:lol +1

What did some of you expect? This thread was begging for a soccer hater to come along and trash the sport.

If some soccer fan came along and started a thread about how "American football sucks", I'd either ignore it all together or just have some fun with it.

Some of you are getting seriously butthurt over dsf's posts........in an "America hates soccer" thread.......obviously the sport is having trouble speaking for itself....:lol

Ginobilly
06-17-2010, 01:32 AM
I agree with all of the posters that are against the gay offside rules. Players should be rewarded by out-hinking and out-running their defenders. It makes it more of an exiting chessmatch. I know everybody will be salivating to see an exiting match of Messi and Higuain going at it against Dempsey and Donovon(Or a Torres/Villa duel against Ronaldo and Nani) going down to the wire, 13-13, then going to penalties for the world cup or in front of a full MLS stadium. IMO, we would see a more clearer picture of what these guys are made of athletic wise. You say your the fastest with the best juke moves and fakes, good passing ability, and good defense. Prove it! I wanna see these guys really go at it! None of this 0-0/1-1 bullshit! Fuck that, somebody has to want the game more. Effort should be more profoundly rewarded in soccer! This is a man's game son. I wanna see the real definition of will spilled every on the soccer field.