PDA

View Full Version : One way to get Bosh.. Cue Ford

Spursfanfromafar
06-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Chad Ford is sometimes a load of crap. But sometimes he is not. Taking the latter scenario, this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16700/raptors-cleaning-house) opens up a set of possibilities.

If the Raps are keen on cleaning house and want some talent in return, how about this three way trade -

Spurs - Give up RJ + Tiago Splitter (somewhere close to MLE), Gain Chris Bosh (max) + Nocioni
Kings - Give up Nocioni, Gain Turkoglu + Spurs' 20th pick (of the Kings' choice)
Raptors -Give up Turkoglu, Bosh, Gain RJ + Splitter

Outlook -

Spurs give up an unproductive player and get a decent replacement at the three, who was underwhelming in the Kings milieu but retains a competitive spirit and could do well with countryman Manu Ginobili by the side. The addition of Chris Bosh (with a max contract) could be a slightly lesser re-incarnation of the Twin Towers and Duncan could mentor the younger Bosh into becoming a dominant superstar instead of just being a star player. It depends on whether Bosh is willing to modify his wishlist of 5 teams for the sign and trade though. Spurs keep their big 3 intact and add a very good fourth star in the mix as Duncan fades away into HOFdom. The negatives - one max contract in Bosh and the $7 million due to Nocioni in 11-12 could mean that Parker's extension would be in doubt. But Nocioni can also be packaged with McDyess later. There are intriguing possibilities. The key is that Duncan's window is bright with championship hopes.

Kings get a weighty contract, but an unique player who can play well along with Evans and who has thrived in Sacramento before. If they draft Cousins and get another good player at the #20, they surround Evans with good talent and experience - enough to make a leap forward.

Raptors, if Ford is right, are clearing house and there is no reason for Bosh to stay. They get a very decent prospect who is Europe's best player and can contribute right away, complementing Bargnani and his perimeter based play. Plus RJ's contract is only expiring and the Turkoglu mistake is rectified. RJ could even thrive in a quick offense. The Raps, I am sure, won't get better than financial relief or other prospects who won't be better than Splitter as a frontcourt player. At worst, this trade is not an offer that the Raps would want to give up on. They might try to bargain and get Parker instead of Jefferson. But I think the Spurs would manage not to blink. Lets see.

I see this trade to be quite a possibility. Three-ways are super difficult to be implemented, but with so many needs being met, there is always the possibility.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 12:55 AM
The Kings would not do this at all. Turks contract is too big for a 31 year old coming off a bad year.

Thompson
06-14-2010, 01:06 AM
I think I'd rather get Favors if it were at all possible while keeping Splitter. Both are probably out of the question anyway though.

Cane
06-14-2010, 01:12 AM
I believe Bosh announced that he doesn't want to play for a Texas team despite being a Dallas native.

baseline bum
06-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Would only work if George Gervin was the Raptors GM.

objective
06-14-2010, 02:06 AM
I don't think the trade is possible under the CBA.

ESPN's trade machine doesn't list Jefferson as being available in trades I believe due to his player option, which makes him untradeable before July 1st if he picks it up, which is after the draft. Spurs can't negotiate with Bosh before then either.

Spursfanfromafar
06-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't think the trade is possible under the CBA.

ESPN's trade machine doesn't list Jefferson as being available in trades I believe due to his player option, which makes him untradeable before July 1st if he picks it up, which is after the draft. Spurs can't negotiate with Bosh before then either.

If the #20th pick is the only impediment, I think there can be a work around.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Not even a chance to happen.

admiralsnackbar
06-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Why does Sac do this?

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 03:32 AM
^^^exactly.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 03:32 AM
They wouldnt.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 03:33 AM
This would be badassss if it were possible though...A+++ for imagination.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 03:53 AM
We should start a prayer group.....

Muser
06-14-2010, 06:04 AM
What a dumbass.

Big P
06-14-2010, 06:38 AM
This would be badassss if it were possible though...A+++ for imagination.

lol

Agloco
06-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Why all of the hardons for Bosh? We want a defensive minded center. Bosh doesn't fit the bill at all. I'd honestly rather have Splitter, considering the economics of of it (Bosh will want a max contract....lol).

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Chad Ford is sometimes a load of crap. But sometimes he is not. Taking the latter scenario, this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16700/raptors-cleaning-house) opens up a set of possibilities.

If the Raps are keen on cleaning house and want some talent in return, how about this three way trade -

Spurs - Give up RJ + Tiago Splitter (somewhere close to MLE), Gain Chris Bosh (max) + Nocioni
Kings - Give up Nocioni, Gain Turkoglu + Spurs' 20th pick (of the Kings' choice)
Raptors -Give up Turkoglu, Bosh, Gain RJ + Splitter

There are at least three major obstacles that make some version of this trade extremely unlikely at best. In no particular order:

1. The Ford article you cite refers to a housecleaning designed to impress Bosh, not to trade him:

"they are attempting to clean house now to show him they can surround him with a more competitive team."

2. There is no reason for the Kings to make this trade. They've shed large contracts and are trying to build a team from the bottom up that is centered around Evans. Taking on an aging Hedo on that horrendous contract makes no sense for them.

3. Spurs can't use Splitter in a sign and trade. Simply not allowed by the CBA. They can trade his rights, but you can't do a sign and trade with a player signed with the MLE.

cd98
06-14-2010, 09:23 AM
There are at least three major obstacles that make some version of this trade extremely unlikely at best. In no particular order:

1. The Ford article you cite refers to a housecleaning designed to impress Bosh, not to trade him:

"they are attempting to clean house now to show him they can surround him with a more competitive team."

2. There is no reason for the Kings to make this trade. They've shed large contracts and are trying to build a team from the bottom up that is centered around Evans. Taking on an aging Hedo on that horrendous contract makes no sense for them.

3. Spurs can't use Splitter in a sign and trade. Simply not allowed by the CBA. They can trade his rights, but you can't do a sign and trade with a player signed with the MLE.

While I agree that the Kings may not be dying to make this kind of trade, it's not as bad as you are saying. Hedo is very popular in Sacramento and is still a good quality player, even if Toronto was not a good fit for him. Besides, the Kings already have a bad contract with Nocioni.

The Kings squad was highly competitive last year, but lacked a mature veteran that could hit big shots in the fourth. Orlando Hedo could do that for them.

They also get a 20th pick, which would allow them to continue their youth movement while having a solid veteran in Hedo to help them win in the short run.

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 09:36 AM
While I agree that the Kings may not be dying to make this kind of trade, it's not as bad as you are saying. Hedo is very popular in Sacramento and is still a good quality player, even if Toronto was not a good fit for him. Besides, the Kings already have a bad contract with Nocioni.

The Kings squad was highly competitive last year, but lacked a mature veteran that could hit big shots in the fourth. Orlando Hedo could do that for them.

They also get a 20th pick, which would allow them to continue their youth movement while having a solid veteran in Hedo to help them win in the short run.

Nocioni- 2yrs/13.5M= overpaid NBA player

Hedo(if traded)- 4yrs/50.4M= albatross

cd98
06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Nocioni- 2yrs/13.5M= overpaid NBA player

Hedo(if traded)- 4yrs/50.4M= albatross

Hedo is overpaid, but he is a good player that can help Sac win now while they're young guys develop. I saw the Kings several times play top teams to the wire, but ultimately lose games by a few points bc they didn't have a veteran that could hit shots and make plays. Hedo can do that. The only concern would be Hedo's need to handle would take the ball from Evans. But Sac could make it work.

Also Hedo is very popular in Sac. The fans always cheer for him and he is close with the organization.

Spurs probably don't want this trade. Nocioni is slow and injured. Though he plays with passion he has lost a step and wouldn't help us at SF.

I also think Bosh is overrated. He takes too many jumpers and is afraid to work in the post. That's a bad recipe for the playoffs, a place Bosh doesn't get very often despite being a "superstar" in the weaker eastern conference.

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Hedo is overpaid, but he is a good player that can help Sac win now while they're young guys develop.

They just did a salary dump to get rid of Kevin Martin's contract (3yrs/35M). Sacramento is not in a "win now" phase in their development. Even if everything you say about his abilities and popularity are true, taking on Hedo's massive contract (4yrs/50M) doesn't fit with Sacramento's recent personnel moves.

If they do want to add a skilled player to help them win now, they have almost 19M in cap space to sign one.

Spursfanfromafar
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Thank you. Lessons learnt!

nbaman99
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Splitter+ RJ on the 2nd year for Bosh? no. Splitter will be way better and young.

Mr Bones
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I also think Bosh is overrated. He takes too many jumpers and is afraid to work in the post. That's a bad recipe for the playoffs, a place Bosh doesn't get very often despite being a "superstar" in the weaker eastern conference.

I struggle with trying to figure out Bosh's true value as a star. When I watch him play, I also think he takes too many jumpers and doesn't seem aggressive enough inside, but he has been near the top of the league in free throw attempts the past few years. This season he was 6th in attempts per game, ahead of guys like Kobe, Amar'e, Gasol, and Brandon Roy. It always surprises me when I see him ranked so high in this category, but he's obviously very good at drawing fouls... and that's something I wouldn't think was true if I didn't have the numbers in front of me...

cd98
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I struggle with trying to figure out Bosh's true value as a star. When I watch him play, I also think he takes too many jumpers and doesn't seem aggressive enough inside, but he has been near the top of the league in free throw attempts the past few years. This season he was 6th in attempts per game, ahead of guys like Kobe, Amar'e, Gasol, and Brandon Roy. It always surprises me when I see him ranked so high in this category, but he's obviously very good at drawing fouls... and that's something I wouldn't think was true if I didn't have the numbers in front of me...

I'm not sure why Bosh had more free throws, but Kobe has become skimp shooter and Brandon Roy Missed a lot of games. Gasol and Amare take their share of jumpers. Gasol has an inside game, but maybe he doesn't get enough touches to consistently get to the line

ploto
06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Why would the Raptors use a sign and trade of an All-Star to get Richard Jefferson and his ridiculous contract this year?

cd98
06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Why would the Raptors use a sign and trade of an All-Star to get Richard Jefferson and his ridiculous contract this year?

Because Jefferson may be one of the better offers they get for Bosh, who could walk away and leave them empty handed. Would you rather have Jefferson or Erik Dampier?

Besides, Bosh is overrated. If he can't get you guys to the playoffs in a weak, weak Eastern conference where sub-500 teams are getting into the playoffs, then is he really better than a number 2 or a number 3 on a team. Do you really want to pay him superstar money when he is clearly not a superstar?

ploto
06-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Because Jefferson may be one of the better offers they get for Bosh, who could walk away and leave them empty handed.

I would rather have no one than RJ for that amount.

TwelveGs210
06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
would only work if george gervin was the raptors gm.

lol

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Because Jefferson may be one of the better offers they get for Bosh

No, it won't.

I would rather have no one than RJ for that amount.

Agreed. For Toronto, getting nothing would be better than RJ for 15M. Especially if Bosh goes to a team with cap space and Toronto can get a giant TE for facilitating the S&T.

Giant TE>>>>>>>>>RJ for 15M.

Brazil
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
if the thinking is already quite strange for the raptors I don't see kings interest in this move

cd98
06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
No, it won't.

Agreed. For Toronto, getting nothing would be better than RJ for 15M. Especially if Bosh goes to a team with cap space and Toronto can get a giant TE for facilitating the S&T.

Giant TE>>>>>>>>>RJ for 15M.

If the Raptors have to trade Bosh they won't get Anything of value. He's a free agent and too many teams can buy him outright. Until Ford mentioned this the only other trade scenario was a package involving Dampier.

Jefferson would be a 20 point scorer on that Raptor team.

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
He's a free agent and too many teams can buy him outright.

Thus my point that a giant TE>>>>>>>>>>>RJ for 15M.

Look up the S&T for Rashard Lewis between Seattle and Orlando for the most recent example of such a transaction. That's basically the worst case for Toronto and it's way better than RJ.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Would you rather have Jefferson or Erik Dampier?

Dampier of course, because of his contract. Even better - none of them.