PDA

View Full Version : Pierce spurs title talk with big game

duncan228
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Pierce spurs title talk with big game (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-pierceceltics061410)
By Marc J. Spears

One week earlier, Paul Pierce brazenly mocked the Los Angeles Lakers’ fans, shouting in the din of the Staples Center that his Boston Celtics “ain’t coming back to L.A.!” By late Sunday, he was feigning amnesia.

“I never gave a prediction to you guys,” Pierce said. “That was a rumor. They said I said that?”

Pierce didn’t need to follow through with the act. While the Celtics didn’t make good on his boast, they are returning to Los Angeles one win from their second championship in three years. And they can thank none other than Pierce. His 27 points pushed the Celtics to a 92-86 victory in Game 5 and a 3-2 advantage in the NBA Finals.

“I don’t regret that,” Pierce said of his prediction. “I wasn’t being cocky about it. I was just confident in my team.”

Pierce’s own performance in these Finals hadn’t done much to inspire such confidence. He had scored 10, 15 and 19 in the three games before Sunday, struggling at times against the defense of Ron Artest. He didn’t, however, need long to get going in Game 5. By the end of the first quarter, he had eight points.

“I thought he was awesome,” said Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, who watched from a courtside seat. “He was really big for them tonight hitting big shots and really taking over the game. It looked like the player from 2008.”

For one of the few times in the series, Pierce settled into a rhythm, making two 3-pointers and comfortably knocking down his signature midrange jump shot.

“Paul is a very deliberate ballplayer and when he’s comfortable out there he can be very difficult to guard,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “He’s got a step-back, he’s got a nice shot that he takes off the dribble. His post-up game is good. There’s a lot of things that he has as weapons out there. He had Ron guessing out there for much of the game.”

Even the Celtics felt Pierce’s fury. With time running down in the second quarter, Rajon Rondo looked toward Ray Allen on the left wing instead of giving the ball to Pierce for the final shot of the half.

Pierce angrily turned the other way and appeared to start walking off the floor as Rondo threw up a wild shot at the buzzer.

Rondo darted toward Pierce afterward and the two exchanged words. Pierce later apologized to Rondo in the locker room.

“It was nothing,” Pierce said. “I told Rajon at halftime I had a couple buckets going and I wanted the ball and he wanted to do something different, and I was a little upset at that. Hey, he’s our point guard and I trust him. He’s made so many great plays for us throughout the year and throughout the playoffs. It was nothing.

“We’ve got spats with our team all the time. We always have spats. But the good thing about it is we always clean it up.”

The Celtics have had different players step up in each of their three victories, so the series doesn’t have a clear-cut MVP. Pierce won it two years ago and later told everyone that summer he was the best player in the world. If Pierce plays big again and the Celtics win the championship, a second Finals MVP award could be headed his way.

“I’m not going to try to jinx it right now,” he said. “We’ve got to win one game. That’s the goal. But it would be amazing if we get it done.”

Pierce didn’t deliver on his prediction. The Celtics are indeed returning to L.A. But as the Garden fans showered him with chants of “Truth!” Pierce left them with a few words to remember.

“One more, baby,” he said. “Just one more.”

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Pierce [[[[spurs]]]] title talk with big game (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-pierceceltics061410)

muhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Pierce [[[[spurs]]]] title talk with big game (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-pierceceltics061410)

All right, even I gotta admit that was funny. And not in the way Pesci would be offended (although you never really know with that crazy little bastard).

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 01:46 AM
What, I make you laugh? I'm funny to you?

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 01:51 AM
I amuse you?

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 01:52 AM
........no, he just means...

"shut up, Anthony."

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Henry Hill: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.

Tommy DeVito: What do you mean I'm funny?

Henry Hill: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy.
[laughs]

Tommy DeVito: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Henry Hill: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.

Tommy DeVito: [it becomes quiet] Funny how? What's funny about it?

Anthony Stabile: Tommy no, You got it all wrong.

Tommy DeVito: Oh, oh, Anthony. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?

Henry Hill: Jus...

Tommy DeVito: What?

Henry Hill: Just... ya know... you're funny.

Tommy DeVito: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Henry Hill: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Tommy DeVito: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

Henry Hill: [long pause] Get the fuck out of here, Tommy!

Tommy DeVito: [everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

I haven't seen that in years. :lol

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Good find.

And the character is psychopathic so it's easy to surmise he didn't even know he was kidding till the moment he made up his mind to it.....then released the pent up rage at the waiter bearing the check. The waiter wise enough to stay out of arm's reach.

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 02:30 AM
You can't help but read that and hear the voices, see the expressions and remember the overall tension of the scene. Classic shit.

Greg Oden
06-14-2010, 02:35 AM
tbh, the lamest part of the movie is Pesci killing the kid who served drinks because he told him to fuck himself.

LnGrrrR
06-14-2010, 02:56 AM
You can't help but read that and hear the voices, see the expressions and remember the overall tension of the scene. Classic shit.

Definitely. This movie is right up there amongst my faves: Princess Bride, Aliens, Donnie Darko and yes, Demolition Man. If those are on, I will watch em. Karate Kid too if Ive got the time.

HarlemHeat37
06-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Goodfellas was my #1 growing up, classic..

:lol Demolition Man, I loved that shit as a kid too..I haven't seen it in a while..Snipes' character in that movie is quality..

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Karate Kid too if Ive got the time.

Yep, the shades of gray in the Cobra Kai kids is fascinating. Little things:

**some bow, some don't, even Johnny gives the slightest bow to Daniel before the final match, whilst Dutch is near crazed earlier.

**watching the interaction twixt Miyagi and Daniel's mother in the background during the final matches.

**Greese, imploring Johnny to "finish him!" at the sight of Daniel poised at the end. It's a great production moment, because they've got to get the actor to rush in like a fool. Johnny ain't a fool, he's a karate champion, but, they sell it fine there.

**Johnny, grabbing the trophy and presenting it to Daniel. C'mon, it don't get better than that.

**The racism toward Miyagi by Greese. It's institutionalized, bred from "Nam"....some fresh for this particular event, as Greese is grateful for the opportunity that Miyagi's attack on his wards has provided him. Greese is mesmerizing here.

**Ali, running around in that little skirt, a chubby little rascal, like a gumdrop, I'd eat her whole.

**The timing of the restaurant scene where the Kai Kids see Daniel thru the window, but, he does not see them. It's fabulous movie making there.

I could go on forever, it's fabulous.

And the fucks that grade movies on my cable give it 2 stars. The humps.

spursfaninla
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/karate_kid/

The critics gave the original 90%, which is top 20 of the year easily, and usually top 10ish.

The current Karate Kid has a 70%, although it is garnering greater outpourings of cash from the audiences.

Nostalgia....

manufan10
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM

I thought this thread was started by you, tbh. :toast

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/karate_kid/

The critics gave the original 90%, which is top 20 of the year easily, and usually top 10ish.

The current Karate Kid has a 70%, although it is garnering greater outpourings of cash from the audiences.

Nostalgia....

I'm just talking about my Cox cable ratings. Sometimes it changes from 2 stars to 2 1/2 stars. It's politics. It's Stallone's people that got KK onto cellulloid, so there's some angst there.