PDA

View Full Version : Be a General Manager of an NBA Team (2010-2011)

Pages : [1] 2

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Ok, Spurs fans. It is the off-season for us, and the forum is quite stagnant. And it is going to stay that way for a few months. So, we can have some fun as a forum and be a general manager of a team you choose. I hope to achieve (as a forum) to improve our NBA knowledge, rules of the current CBA and interaction with members on the board.

Requirements
You can choose to participate as an individual or as a group. Any number of no more than 4 is okay with me. You must also be able to submit a write-up and come up with your players/rights, draft picks, and trade lists and be quite regular here as some people would be quite trade intense.

Invitations
I would like to invite all of the All-Spurstalk Team members to participate in this game or be part of the judging panel. I would like to have no more than 10 judges. The judges would judge a team's makeup based on the team's motive, and what they set out to accomplish by their own standards.

Rules
1. Able to come up with your team list, basically admin work, by stipulated times, so it is best if you participate as a team as most of the posters have work, family and studies to juggle with. A write-up is important so that the judges can assess your teams easily without reading too many posts.
2. When you apply, please try to PM me so that we can get this done in an organized manner. Application requirements would be below this section.
3. Trades must work under the rules of the CBA. An example would be that a team may only send a maximum of 3 million dollars in a transaction.
4. The commissioner would come up with generated stories to push the free agency market open. The commissioner may not be me, it may be someone else, so try to calm down if you are the general manager of the Knicks and that LeBron decides to go to Chicago as the commissioner uses his story generator. We will try to make it as realistic as possible so that LeBron doesn't go to the Lakers.
5. Negotiations can be public, by posting on this thread, or by private messaging the other party. It is best to start negotiations by coming up with a trading block list and generate some discussions.
6. Maximum cap space as of now would be 54.0 Million, MLE would be 5.85 Million, LLE would be 1.9 Million. Further re-evaluation would be made to make it more even. But as of now, this would be the setting.

Application Requirements

PM me to send in your official application. Your application form should have the following: Usernames of your Team of Posters, Preferred Team, please send in at least 3 choices of different teams as the first member to register for a team would get the team, so you may not get your 1st choice and we would go with the 2nd or 3rd option. I would return a response via PM to notify you of your successful or unsuccessful applications. Registered Teams would be at the section below. Trolls are not allowed.

Participating Teams

It is best to apply for teams which are left blank at the moment. I would update the teams below as soon as I can.

Eastern Conference
1. Atlanta Hawks - timtonymanu
2. Boston Celtics - LnGrrrR
3. Cleveland Cavaliers - yavozerb
4. Chicago Bulls - blkroadrunners
5. Detroit Pistons - TimDunkem
6. New Jersey Nets - Disciple
7. Miami Heat - Sisk & DesignatedT
8. Washington Wizards - rayray2k8
9. New York Knicks - 8FOR!3
10. Orlando Magic - SenorSpur
11. Milwaukee Bucks - Mr.Bottomtooth
12. Indiana Pacers - objective
13. Toronto Raptors - lurker23
14. Charlotte Bobcats - Mr.Body
15. Philadelphia 76ers - Phila_Chamberlain

Western Conference

1. Los Angeles Lakers - Killakobe81
2. Memphis Grizzlies - AFBlue
3. Los Angeles Clippers - Muser
4. Dallas Mavericks - urunobili
5. San Antonio Spurs - ajballer4
6. Houston Rockets - Dex
7. Oklahoma City Thunder - DynastyBuilder
8. Phoenix Suns - rascal
9. Golden State Warriors - L.I.T
10. Sacramento Kings - mudyez
11. Denver Nuggets - Roblean
12. Utah Jazz - jburnell
13. Portland Trail Blazers - mountainballer & Darkwaters
14. New Orleans Hornets - Jamstone
15. Minnesota Timberwolves - Vic Petro

Prizes
I will try to ask whether we could have a medal or a Spur to give to the winners, participants and the judging panels.

On a final note, I would like the participants to most importantly, have fun. Because, in the end, that is what is important in a game.

JamStone
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Lukewarm on the idea at first glance. Might be a bit tedious. But somewhat interested.

I'll take a more thorough look over this later today.

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Lukewarm on the idea at first glance. Might be a bit tedious. But somewhat interested.

I'll take a more thorough look over this later today.

Thanks for the consideration. It is quite boring during the off-season. Thought I might spice things up. It might be a little tedious, but it should be fun.

Muser
06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll do it, i'll pm you the stuff in a minute.

Good idea btw.

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
ajballer4 has taken the San Antonio Spurs. Muser, you might have to choose another team. You shocked me. Clippers it is, Muser.

Muser
06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Nah, I don't want the Spurs. I'm going for a challenge :p:

duncan228
06-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Great stuff Chieflion. Appreciate the effort to make it happen. Have fun everyone.

Blackjack
06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for taking the initiative, Chieflion. That's what RTB is all about. :tu

I'll see if I can help you out in some way or fashion.

rascal
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
How can LeBron or any other free agent go to any team as a free agent? Who will make the decision where the player goes as a free agent?

What is the writeup for and what is the writeup about? Is the writeup what you are trying to do with your franchise as a GM?

What is a trade list, the trades that a team pulls off?

So it is basically who pulls off the best trades to improve their teams and the draft picks that will determine who the best gm is. I don't see a team winning this that is not agressive in making trades to improve his team.

rascal
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
What does it mean "the commissioner comes up with generated stories to push the free agency markets open"?

Brazil
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
It is going to be difficult for me to find the time to do it but if somebody is in the same situation and wants to share the timeload, I'm open even if I'm not expert.

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
What does it mean "the commissioner comes up with generated stories to push the free agency markets open"?

It means the commissioner will think of stories to tell you a free agent's preferred destination, and a wacky story will go along with it.

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Dibbs on Bruno being my capologist!

And I want the 76ers.

Come on, Phila, you have to send in an official application. Gotta be fair to everyone.

Updates: blkroadrunner is the GM of the Chicago Bulls. 8FOR!3 is the GM of the Knicks. Let us proceed.

Further update: Disciple has taken the New Jersey Nets. DesignatedT & Sisk will be a 2 man squad and handle the Miami Heat. If we get all the applications done quickly, we could do the NBA draft before draft night.

DesignatedT
06-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Who wants wade? were thinkin hard about lettin that scrub walk.

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 09:30 PM
How can LeBron or any other free agent go to any team as a free agent? Who will make the decision where the player goes as a free agent?

What is the writeup for and what is the writeup about? Is the writeup what you are trying to do with your franchise as a GM?

What is a trade list, the trades that a team pulls off?

So it is basically who pulls off the best trades to improve their teams and the draft picks that will determine who the best gm is. I don't see a team winning this that is not agressive in making trades to improve his team.

LeBron or any other FA's status and decision will be determined by a randomiser for teams who make an offer to him. Of course, a S&T can be used by the Cavaliers.

On the writeup, yes you are right, you will have to tell me the franchise's goal for that season and beyond and the reason for your trades, etc.

Drafting well also gets you a good nod as a GM. And your trades have to make sense. Whether it is clearing cap space, winning now, rebuilding. If you think your team is set pretty well for the next few years, of course you don't have to be too aggressive.

lmbebo
06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
wish I could, but I'm on call on Draft night :(

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
wish I could, but I'm on call on Draft night :(

As I have told Phila via PM, you could ask for a subsitiute for team up with somebody so that you get to pick. A commissioner assigned will do the pick for you if you are not available. So, you send in your draft list to the commissioner if you are not going to be available, and the commissioner will announce your 1st available preferred pick.

blkroadrunners
06-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice :tu

benefactor
06-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I would, but I don't have much extra time right now. I've got a 10 week old Boston Terrier that is keeping pretty tied up(crate training).

8FOR!3
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
It's going to take me a while to get used to how this works, but I'm up for it.

All of us Spurs fans want a big man, I'm wondering if I can bribe ajballer4 to take on Eddy Curry's contract ;)

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I would, but I don't have much extra time right now. I've got a 10 week old Boston Terrier that is keeping pretty tied up(crate training).

I actually planned for this to last all the way till the end of off-season or maybe even into the season if we are successful enough. So, it is going to be a slow process. You could actually look for someone to team up with if you are interested.

Update: Phila_Chamberlain has taken the Philadelphia 76ers.

More updates: DynastyBuilder has taken the Oklahoma City Thunder.

DynastyBuilder
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
sweet. Thanks Chieflion!

Chieflion
06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Update: lurker23 takes the Toronto Raptors.

ajballer4
06-14-2010, 11:20 PM
It's going to take me a while to get used to how this works, but I'm up for it.

All of us Spurs fans want a big man, I'm wondering if I can bribe ajballer4 to take on Eddy Curry's contract ;)

Hahaha you wish

Sisk
06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Need more people picking up teams.. Come on long time posters get on this!

lurker23
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Update: lurker23 takes the Toronto Raptors.

Thanks. :toast

Any and all of my players are available for trade offers. Also, I am open to sign and trades for Chris Bosh.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I wonder why people haven't picked up the Washington Wizards yet. They have a significant amount of cap space, the 1st pick of the 2010 NBA draft, and cheap young talent.

If there are only a few teams left remaining, I suppose I just have to take one as well.

Sisk
06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
When will we know the rules and how you win and what not? I'm curious to see how this works..

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 01:10 AM
When will we know the rules and how you win and what not? I'm curious to see how this works..

Judges will award points based on the team roster, salary, goal of the team and how far you are ahead based on your targets. The transaction rules are on the first page. You might want to check out the rules of the CBA yourself to get a distinct advantage.

The best way to know is to get all the participants ready and the thing started, of course.

MaNu4Tres
06-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Nice idea :tu

This will take up a lot of time though...IMO

I won't be able to pick up a team, but I'm willing to help otherwise.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Nice idea :tu

This will take up a lot of time though...IMO

I won't be able to pick up a team, but I'm willing to help otherwise.

Cool. Can you be part of the judging panel?

Sisk
06-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Judges will award points based on the team roster, salary, goal of the team and how far you are ahead based on your targets. The transaction rules are on the first page. You might want to check out the rules of the CBA yourself to get a distinct advantage.

The best way to know is to get all the participants ready and the thing started, of course.

I mean as far as players opting out, how it's determined where Wade/Bosh/LeBron/etc. land. If that's coming out later that's fine, just curious

MaNu4Tres
06-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Cool. Can you be part of the judging panel?

Not a problem..

I'm down with it. :tu

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Not a problem..

I'm down with it. :tu

Great, I will send you the recommended judging criteria when the participants are all ready.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I have practically been sending invitations to many posters, Hope they at least give me a reply.

lefty
06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Looks interesting but I'm not familiar with the CBA, MLE, LLE and shit

I have some homewrok to do :lol

ElNono
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the invitation, Chieflion.

I'm kinda busy with the World Cup ATM, and then comes the FIBA Worlds, so I'll have to pass this time.

Killakobe81
06-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Im willing to take the Lakers, OKC, Rox or blazers

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Im willing to take the Lakers, OKC, Rox or blazers

Okay. You can take the Lakers.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Looks interesting but I'm not familiar with the CBA, MLE, LLE and shit

I have some homewrok to do :lol

It's cool; given the way some of them run their teams, it seems like half the GMs in the league are clueless too.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
ElNono may be busy, but I'll call dibs on him if he wants to help the Men in Green. Also, assuming I am installed as Celtics leadership, my first decision is to abolish the Boston Cheerleaders dancers.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Yep, another update, I suppose LnGrrrR would be taking the Celtics then.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Yep, another update, I suppose LnGrrrR would be taking the Celtics then.

Woohoo! Now Ray Allen has to have a monster game so I can inflate his trade value...

ElNono
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
ElNono may be busy, but I'll call dibs on him if he wants to help the Men in Green. Also, assuming I am installed as Celtics leadership, my first decision is to abolish the Boston Cheerleaders dancers.

PM me with what I need to help you with, and I'll see if I can do it.
Having KG, Ray Ray and Finley on the roster is kind of a non-starter, but I might be able to overlook that... :lol

JamStone
06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Application submitted.

Dex
06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Alright, count me in. I only halfway understand the CBA rules so it will be an interesting experience (aka I'll lose), but this seems like a great way to learn it.

I might be interested in a teammate or two if anybody is looking to split the work; between working and being out of town in late July, I don't want to be coming up AWOL.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
PM me with what I need to help you with, and I'll see if I can do it.
Having KG, Ray Ray and Finley on the roster is kind of a non-starter, but I might be able to overlook that... :lol

I don't think KG's contract is tradable but Rayray is doable, and Finley? Uhmm yeah I don't think he's the linchpin to our success. :lol

Muser
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Clippers gonna fuck shit up!!

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Clippers gonna fuck shit up!!

So ... this is different, how? :downspin:

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Bwahaha. I say you trade Blake for Oden. Although crossing the "Broken Blazers Center" jinx with the "Clippers stars get injured" jinx may end the world.

Muser
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Well..uh..:depressed

Maybe I worded that wrong. :lol

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Steve Blake or Blake Griffin? TBH, neither would surprise me. These are the Clippers, brah. Muser ain't Moses or some such, at least he hasn't made me aware, tbh.

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Well..uh..:depressed

Maybe I worded that wrong. :lol

I believe in you Muser! You've made some of the greatest posts this board has ever seen; and not even all of them were extolling the greatness of Blackjack. Most of 'em .. but not ALL. :D

Muser
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Steve Blake or Blake Griffin? TBH, neither would surprise me. These are the Clippers, brah. Muser ain't Moses or some such, at least he hasn't made me aware, tbh.

Don't underestimate my powers, Black. Clippers going straight to the top next year, lead by the prophet Baron motherfucking Davis. Spread the word, Clipshow running wild next year :lobt2:.

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't underestimate my powers, Black. Clippers going straight to the top next year, lead by the prophet Baron motherfucking Davis. Spread the word, Clipshow running wild next year :lobt2:.

Sweet Jesus, Muser! And I mean: "Sweet! Muser's Jesus! He must be because he just called Baron Davis a prophet and mentioned the Clipshow heading to the top; that water-to-wine trick does have its downfalls . . ." :drunk

objective
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I'll take a crappy situation ruined by a great player in over his head at GM. Since Isiah's gone and Jordan is just the owner . . .

Give me the Pacers.

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
objective, your mission is to find a basketball player with some color. I know it's going to prove to be quite the task and you might be tempted to acquire someone with a good tan, but the Pacers would be wise to look into the Afro-American player. It's an untapped resource. ;)

objective
06-15-2010, 04:04 PM
objective, your mission is to find a basketball player with some color. I know it's going to prove to be quite the task and you might be tempted to acquire someone with a good tan, but the Pacers would be wise to look into the Afro-American player. It's an untapped resource. ;)

well, unfortunately there won't be any outlandish trades like the #10 and Murphy for Tony Parker. :(

DesignatedT
06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
need more peopleeeeee

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:04 PM
So Jamstone takes the New Orleans Hornets. First thing he will do is trade Chris Paul. Dex takes the Rockets. SenorSpur takes the Orlando Magic. objective takes the Pacers. Sorry, guys for the delay, I needed to sleep as it was very late over at my side. Hopefully, you will see that you got your 1st choice.

DynastyBuilder
06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
OKC is open to potential trades of draft picks or anyone on the roster except Kevin Durant.

2010 Draft Picks: 1st Round - 21 and 26 overall, 2nd Round - 32 and 51 overall
2011 Draft Picks: 1st Round, 2nd Round

DesignatedT
06-15-2010, 07:18 PM
We are also open to moving anyone or draft picks in Miami.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
OKC is open to potential trades of draft picks or anyone on the roster except Kevin Durant.

2010 Draft Picks: 1st Round - 21 and 26 overall, 2nd Round - 32 and 51 overall
2011 Draft Picks: 1st Round, 2nd Round

Westbrook?

ajballer4
06-15-2010, 07:28 PM
When does this all begin? Draft night?

DynastyBuilder
06-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Westbrook?

His name isn't Durant.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
His name isn't Durant.

Come on son, you are trying to revamp the entire 50 win roster?

DynastyBuilder
06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Come on son, you are trying to revamp the entire 50 win roster?

Just because it's possible to discuss a player doesn't mean a player is getting shipped out. Durant is the only one that wouldn't be discussed.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I still have 6 teams in the lottery and 9 teams in the playoffs available. Grab them now.

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Who's left?

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Who's left?

It is all on the first post.

Dex
06-15-2010, 08:04 PM
How will Player Options be handled? Will these be decided by the commissioner as well?

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 08:09 PM
How will Player Options be handled? Will these be decided by the commissioner as well?

Yep. Most of the players expected to opt out will opt out. Guys like LeBron, Wade, Bosh will definitely opt out. We plan to make it as realistic as possible, so you will know by July 1st. The list you see on the NBA official website will most likely be the same you see here.

8FOR!3
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Anybody willing to take on Eddy Curry's contract, there's always a chance I can throw in a Toney Douglas, Wilson Chandler, or David Lee as well.

JamStone
06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
So Jamstone takes the New Orleans Hornets. First thing he will do is trade Chris Paul. Dex takes the Rockets. SenorSpur takes the Orlando Magic. objective takes the Pacers. Sorry, guys for the delay, I needed to sleep as it was very late over at my side. Hopefully, you will see that you got your 1st choice.

Funny joke. Except it's true.

Chris Paul is available for the right price.

8FOR!3
06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Funny joke. Except it's true.

Chris Paul is available for the right price.

Anybody not named Danilo Gallinari. You can have the rest of my team. :lol

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Come on lil_penny, Mavs_man_41, we need some Blazer and Mav fan representation around here.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Miami Heat already taken, so no go for me.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Miami Heat already taken, so no go for me.

Can't you take something else?

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Expect an offer soon.

#2 plus Iggy for Chris Paul?

JamStone
06-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Lmao.

I'm not simply giving Chris Paul away. I want a king's ransom. If Holliday and the 36th pick are the main components, you need not bother with an offer.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Lmao.

I'm not simply giving Chris Paul away. I want a king's ransom. If Holliday and the 36th pick are the main components, you need not bother with an offer.

Jamstone, could you try selling this idea to the people downstairs? I am sure they look at your posts more than mine.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Yo Chieflion,

As most of the teams have already been picked up, I'm currently contemplating another team, or to pm some of the other posters to join forces....however...

I just got an idea, lemme know if it goes against the grain of what you're trying to accomplish with this.

I wanna pick the Dallas Mavericks, and COMPLETELY destroy the team. I mean like letting Dirk walk, and trading Kidd for Dan Gadzuric.

the thing I'm worried about is throwing off the balance of competition by doing something intentionally detrimental to get some laughs.

meh...

the more I think of it, the more I might just hold off on the mavs and start pm'ing other posters to join forces.

just wanted to let you know what I was thinking.

peeece.

Guess who is this guy.

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 02:10 AM
jaffers. :lol

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 02:11 AM
What do I win. :hungry:

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Update: mountainballer takes the Portland Trail Blazers. First thing he does is to move ahead up the draft and pick at 19.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 05:06 AM
What do I win. :hungry:

You win jaffies as your possible partner. You lose mountainballer as your prospective teammate. See above.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Update: urunobili has taken the Dallas Mavericks. Poor jaffies who wanted to obliterate the Mavs from the inside.

urunobili
06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Update: urunobili has taken the Dallas Mavericks. Poor jaffies who wanted to obliterate the Mavs from the inside.

:lol Jaffies
I need help witht he Mavs and It'd be an honor to have an All Spurtalker join me :king

mountainballer
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Update: mountainballer takes the Portland Trail Blazers. First thing he does is to move ahead up the draft and pick at 19.

not exactly right. #19 is the minimum goal.
memo to all GMs: I'm willing buy any pic from #1 to #19. you know I've got some money. any GM in need of 3 million $?

@Jamstone

willing to talk about either:
-your #11 pick. (how about the Hornets financial struggles?)
-Darren Collison

(and yes, I would also like to talk about Chris Paul, but I know that I need to offer Roy to start talk and I'm not yet ready for that)

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 08:29 AM
L.I.T has taken the Golden State Warriors. He promises to draft Eric Bledsoe at number 6 to complete the small ball dream.

Muser
06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Everybody is up for trade except for the Prophet and Griffin. So basically all the scrubs.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
12 teams left remaining. 6 from the West and 6 from the East. Not bad, Spurstalk, you know what balance is all about.

L.I.T
06-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Dammit. There goes my super-duper secret draft plan to shore up the center position. Guess I'll have to be really shocking then...

Hmmmmm...I should check the guy who got the Spurs post history to see if he liked Maggette to the Spurs last year...

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
rascal, SenorSpur, come on, you know you want to be a part of this.

urunobili
06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
rascal, SenorSpur, come on, you know you want to be a part of this.

whottt and Ruff would also be quality additions...:toast

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 09:13 AM
whottt and Ruff would also be quality additions...:toast

I asked Ruff, no replies so far. whottt? I am quite skeptical, he hasn't shown up for quite a while.

Update: stretch wants to take part, but he is banned from the Spurs forum for some reason. He will try to ask timvp or Kori to unban him from here.

yavozerb
06-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I will take the worst job in the NBA right now, the cavs...

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Update: yavozerb will take the Cavaliers and sign Tom Izzo as head coach. Oh wait.

LnGrrrR
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Somebody needs to take the Bobcats so I can see what it will take to get Gerald Wallace.

JamStone
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Couple of housekeeping issues:

1. Why is the salary cap set at $54 million? The 2009-10 salary cap was $57.7 million. Now, I know there have been rumors and reports that several teams are losing money and that will force the NBA to lower the salary cap once again. But by $3.7 million? That's unrealistic, imo. That changes quite a lot of things, especially for teams under the cap. My team isn't btw, but I think it's an unfair restriction to teams that have quite a bit of cap space. For example, a team like the Nets who could possibly have enough cap space for two max contracts under what the real salary cap will have will only have enough for one max contract and another starting at around $10-11 million for the first year. Makes a drastic difference on their off season approach.

2. Are we actually going to hold an NBA draft as well?

3. For those who don't get into NBA capology too much, the shamsports site should probably help out quite a bit. It's a little better than the one on hoopshype because I think it's more accurate and up-to-date especially with the options on each contract, it offers more information on stuff like cap holds and the structure of each team's payroll, and has some better explanation of things like cap figures and free agent pay structure.

Link: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

JamStone
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Your team is in the Eastern Conference, you should know that Holliday will be a top 5 point in about 3 or 4 years.

In all honesty I am not looking for Chris Paul at the moment.

Jrue is a fine young player with tons of potential. You can spin your yarn on anyone else. Potential and promise carries more weight in the draft. Call him the next Dwyane Wade if you like. You're not going to get a proven top 5 players in the league for a kid that just averaged 8 ppg and 4 apg his rookie campaign. I don't care if CP3 broke both his legs, your inferences are silly.

Lol, hell, you aren't even willing to part with the #2 pick.

You were never serious to begin with. Let's be real.

@Jamstone

willing to talk about either:
-your #11 pick. (how about the Hornets financial struggles?)
-Darren Collison

(and yes, I would also like to talk about Chris Paul, but I know that I need to offer Roy to start talk and I'm not yet ready for that)

Interestingly enough, the Blazers are one team that could interest me in making a CP3 deal without you having to give up Brandon Roy. You probably would have to give up Aldridge and a couple of the young talented players on your roster and be willing to take a couple bad contracts, but it won't require you to put Roy on the block to start negotiations for CP3.

mountainballer
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Interestingly enough, the Blazers are one team that could interest me in making a CP3 deal without you having to give up Brandon Roy. You probably would have to give up Aldridge and a couple of the young talented players on your roster and be willing to take a couple bad contracts, but it won't require you to put Roy on the block to start negotiations for CP3.

that's an answer I was hoping to get.
let me think about it.
I will work on several packages (big package for CP3 and smaller package for Collison and/or the #11 pick) and submit them ASP.

Edit: not sure, but LMA would be a base year player. complicated numbers game. guess we would need some help for that trade.

Muser
06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Why would Portland want Paul?

mountainballer
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Why would Portland want Paul?

are you their GM or I?:lol

urunobili
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Aldridge > Roy... you can get ballhog 2's everywhere... greater than average 4 with All star potential ain't easy to find...

ajballer4
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Dammit. There goes my super-duper secret draft plan to shore up the center position. Guess I'll have to be really shocking then...

Hmmmmm...I should check the guy who got the Spurs post history to see if he liked Maggette to the Spurs last year...

Not so much. Golden state is in bad shape and getting worse

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Edit: not sure, but LMA would be a base year player. complicated numbers game. guess we would need some help for that trade.

BYC situations give me a headache, but LMA is a BYC player. Worse for you is that the Poison Pill Provision applies if you trade him before July 8th. As a BYC player he counts 5.8M going out and 10.7M coming in. With the PPP, he counts 5.8M going out and 14M coming in.

JamStone
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
BYC situations give me a headache, but LMA is a BYC player. Worse for you is that the Poison Pill Provision applies if you trade him before July 8th. As a BYC player he counts 5.8M going out and 10.7M coming in. With the PPP, he counts 5.8M going out and 14M coming in.

The BYC players is something I'm not very well versed in. I'd need help in that area if I'm dealing with one in a trade proposal. If anyone can give some insight, share a link or list of players it applies to, that would be helpful.

I know it's for players in the first few months of a new contract but I don't know what the cut-off point is after they sign their new contract and I don't know how the numbers work exactly.

JamStone
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Goodness no. I'm not having any conversations in this thread, only in PMs.

Ok. But I only responded in the thread because it was brought up in the thread.

There was no PM to respond to.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 03:28 PM
The BYC players is something I'm not very well versed in. I'd need help in that area if I'm dealing with one in a trade proposal. If anyone can give some insight, share a link or list of players it applies to, that would be helpful.

I know it's for players in the first few months of a new contract but I don't know what the cut-off point is after they sign their new contract and I don't know how the numbers work exactly.

This the definitive reference for all things CBA (the player's union website has a link to it). BYC and PPP are discussed at question # 75.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

JamStone
06-16-2010, 03:41 PM
This the definitive reference for all things CBA (the player's union website has a link to it). BYC and PPP are discussed at question # 75.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Thanks. I actually already have that site bookmarked but haven't gone into detail on most of it. Guess I should have referred to that first.

BTW, seems like the BYC applies to players for 6 months after they sign the contract or the following June 30th, whichever comes later. So, if mountainballer wanted to make a deal with Aldridge, he would no longer be a BYC player after June 30. If that helps make a potential trade work, it seems that waiting a couple weeks would be a smarter thing to do.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks. I actually already have that site bookmarked but haven't gone into detail on most of it. Guess I should have referred to that first.

BTW, seems like the BYC applies to players for 6 months after they sign the contract or the following June 30th, whichever comes later. So, if mountainballer wanted to make a deal with Aldridge, he would no longer be a BYC player after June 30. If that helps make a potential trade work, it seems that waiting a couple weeks would be a smarter thing to do.

That's for players that reached free agency and signed new deals. LMA and Roy fall under this part of Coon's explanation:

For Larry Bird or Early Bird players, the player's BYC begins on the date he signs his contract. For extended rookie scale contracts, the player's BYC begins on the day after the July Moratorium which precedes the first season of the extension. For example, if an extension of a rookie scale contract is signed on 10/30/05, his BYC begins on 7/12/06, because the first season of the extension is 2006-07. A player's BYC goes away if the team falls below the salary cap, the player signs with a different team, or the player is traded.

If a team trades an extended rookie between the date his extension is signed and the date it takes effect, his "trade value" for the receiving team is the average of the salaries in the last year of the scale contract and each year of the extension. This is called the poison pill provision. The sending team uses the player's actual salary when calculating their outgoing salary. They use the current-year maximum salary in place of the (unknown) maximum salary for a future season, if necessary.

Here is an example of a poison pill calculation: Carmelo Anthony earns $4,694,041 in 2006-07, the final year of his rookie scale contract. Prior to October 31, 2006 he signed a five year extension (bringing the total seasons to six) for the maximum salary, with the maximum 10.5% raises. Anthony's actual salary will not be determined until July 2007, when the maximum salary amounts for 2007-08 are set. During the 2006-07 season the 2006-07 maximum is assumed for the 2007-08 season ($13,762,775), and the salary in subsequent seasons is based on this amount ($15,070,550, $16,378,325 and $17,686,100, respectively). If Anthony is traded during the 2006-07 season, then his outgoing salary from the Nuggets' perspective is his actual salary of $4,694,041. His incoming salary from the other team's perspective would be $13,518,358 -- the average of his 2006-07 salary and the assumed salaries in the extension.

So, LMA and Roy are covered by the PPP from now until July 8th and then they are BYC players until June 30, 2011.

JamStone
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh ok. Thanks. Lol. Damn complicated CBA rules with too much language.

Need a cliff notes version on that joint.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh ok. Thanks. Lol. Damn complicated CBA rules with too much language.

Need a cliff notes version on that joint.

:lol

That is the Cliff notes version. You want the link to the actual CBA?

JamStone
06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
No thanks. My head is already hurting from trying to figure things out. I'm not quite clear on how "matching salaries" in a trade scenerio work when the contract value is different at each end. SMH. I'll try to read more thoroughly to understand.

What I should have said was... need a cliff notes version on the cliff notes version. Lol.

Dex
06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Anybody who wants to send a Gasol collusion trade my way, I'm open to suggestions.

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Yo Chieflion,

As most of the teams have already been picked up, I'm currently contemplating another team, or to pm some of the other posters to join forces....however...

I just got an idea, lemme know if it goes against the grain of what you're trying to accomplish with this.

I wanna pick the Dallas Mavericks, and COMPLETELY destroy the team. I mean like letting Dirk walk, and trading Kidd for Dan Gadzuric.

the thing I'm worried about is throwing off the balance of competition by doing something intentionally detrimental to get some laughs.

meh...

the more I think of it, the more I might just hold off on the mavs and start pm'ing other posters to join forces.

just wanted to let you know what I was thinking.

peeece.

Chieflion, I'm gonna need a ruling on this. The thought of joining forces with this individual and forming the first above board organized-crime, player-laundering venture is mighty tempting.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Update: Mr.Bottomtooth takes the Milwaukee Bucks. Vic Petro takes the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Sisk
06-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised the Pistons haven't been taken by a fan on this board.

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Chieflion, I'm gonna need a ruling on this. The thought of joining forces with this individual and forming the first above board organized-crime, player-laundering venture is mighty tempting.

Update: Mr.Bottomtooth takes the Milwaukee Bucks. Vic Petro takes the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Ehhh-eehhmm . . .

Ruling?

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Ehhh-eehhmm . . .

Ruling?

No Isiah Thomas in this game.

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 08:09 PM
No fun. :depressed

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
No thanks. My head is already hurting from trying to figure things out. I'm not quite clear on how "matching salaries" in a trade scenerio work when the contract value is different at each end. SMH. I'll try to read more thoroughly to understand.

What I should have said was... need a cliff notes version on the cliff notes version. Lol.

Like I said, the BYC scenarios give me a headache, but I'll try to give a simple example. If you have two teams that are over the cap and they want to move a BYC player, a third team will generally be needed.

Team A has a BYC player who was paid 5M in 2009-10 and will begin a 5yr extension in 2010-11 starting at 10M. For Team A, this player will count 5M going out, and they will only be able to take back salary up to 125% of 5M plus 100K or 6.35M.

Now, if their trading partner is also over the cap, this presents a problem because the BYC player counts 10M coming in to Team B. Since, Team B is over the cap, they have to send out contracts that meet the 125% plus 100K rule. Even the smallest possible amount, around 7.9M, will be too much for Team A to take back.

So now you have Team C, that has 5M in cap space (a 5M trade exception should work as well).

So Team A sends the BYC player to Team B. (Counts 5M going out)

Team B send a 5M player to Team A (trade works for Team A and meets 5M of the 10M that the BYC player counted coming in to Team B)

Team B sends another 5M player to Team C (meeting the other 5M in outgoing salary that Team B had to send out while Team C absorbs the 5M with its cap space)

Team C sends something to Team B to meet the requirements of the CBA (protected 2016 second rounder or rights to a previous draft pick that will never come to the NBA).

Simple:downspin:

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Couple of housekeeping issues:

1. Why is the salary cap set at $54 million? The 2009-10 salary cap was $57.7 million. Now, I know there have been rumors and reports that several teams are losing money and that will force the NBA to lower the salary cap once again. But by $3.7 million? That's unrealistic, imo. That changes quite a lot of things, especially for teams under the cap. My team isn't btw, but I think it's an unfair restriction to teams that have quite a bit of cap space. For example, a team like the Nets who could possibly have enough cap space for two max contracts under what the real salary cap will have will only have enough for one max contract and another starting at around $10-11 million for the first year. Makes a drastic difference on their off season approach.

2. Are we actually going to hold an NBA draft as well?

3. For those who don't get into NBA capology too much, the shamsports site should probably help out quite a bit. It's a little better than the one on hoopshype because I think it's more accurate and up-to-date especially with the options on each contract, it offers more information on stuff like cap holds and the structure of each team's payroll, and has some better explanation of things like cap figures and free agent pay structure.

Link: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

1. I would change this when the real salary cap is announced. It is only temporary. Same goes for the MLE and LLE. That way, we would be able to make it fair for everyone.

2. Yes. We are going to hold an NBA draft, hopefully the day before draft night so we can come up with a Spurstalk version of a mock draft as well. After everything is confirmed, I will send a notification to all the participants to the thread we go to for the draft, what time it will be and most probably the chat room.

L.I.T
06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Not so much. Golden state is in bad shape and getting worse

Thanks for the insight. Guess I should have picked another team huh?

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Who the hell is going to take Elton Brand's contract then?!

Someone who likes Evan Turner a lot.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm surprised the Pistons haven't been taken by a fan on this board.

They are a big mess don't have time for the headache. :lol

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
They are a big mess don't have time for the headache. :lol

Come on, take them. You know you want to.

ajballer4
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the insight. Guess I should have picked another team huh?

Hahaha no worries. Its fixable. I meant in real life, they wont fix it.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Mr.Body takes the Charlotte Bobcats. I am still waiting for Cry Havoc's decision and rayray2k8's choice of teams.

TimDunkem
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I want to join...badly. Just not sure if I have the time.

Chieflion
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I want to join...badly. Just not sure if I have the time.

Think carefully, then join.

Update: rayray2k8 has taken the Washington Wizards. Blackjack, you might want to PM him so that you can team up.

rayray2k8
06-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Give me John Wall baby.. and more guns for Arenas.

rayray2k8
06-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Think carefully, then join.

Update: rayray2k8 has taken the Washington Wizards. Blackjack, you might want to PM him so that you can team up.

I will only team up with this man if he can help me take me to the top!
Wizards, 2010-2011 NBA chumpions! Come on baby!

Dex
06-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I'll trade you the 14th pick for the 1st pick, 6 pogs, and a slammer.

DesignatedT
06-17-2010, 12:09 AM

plastic or metal slammer?

Dex
06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
plastic or metal slammer?

Titanium. Like they used in the space shuttle.

It's a good deal. If I was him, I would act upon it immediately. :lol

rayray2k8
06-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Hang on, let me think it over while I watch this video..

iMy3GYY0tLQ

I don't know whats funnier, the offer, the video or the fact that a noob is running the spurs??

Hmmm.. Let me sleep on it.

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
The committee says that you are not allowed to trade the 1st pick for the 14th pick, 6 pogs and a slammer.

You must add one John Wall dance.

Dex
06-17-2010, 12:41 AM
The committee drives a hard bargain.

1st pick and two gats for 14th pick, 6 pogs, 1 titanium slammer, and one John Wall Dance.

ik8d7IEPdlk

Final offer.

lurker23
06-17-2010, 12:48 AM
As I said before, all my players are up for trade, including sign and trades with Chris Bosh and my #13 pick in the draft.

(Technically, by the rules of the CBA, I can't trade the pick outright since my 2011 first rounder is already gone, but would be happy to pick on your behalf and then trade the pick to you, as is the standard custom in the NBA.)

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2010, 01:23 AM
If anyone wants to partner up with me in running the Bucks, I'm open to it.

Blackjack
06-17-2010, 01:42 AM
I will only team up with this man if he can help me take me to the top!
Wizards, 2010-2011 NBA chumpions! Come on baby!

rayray, with me on board, I can guarantee you I wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal. Not without some rolling papers, fruit roll-ups and a box of snack packs.

But if we could get Gil to knock off a convenient store . . .

mountainballer
06-17-2010, 01:57 AM

after reading I fear this isn't valid. the BYC for Aldridge starts at 07/12/2010.
before this date the poison pill rule is valid.

For Larry Bird or Early Bird players, the player's BYC begins on the date he signs his contract. For extended rookie scale contracts, the player's BYC begins on the day after the July Moratorium which precedes the first season of the extension. For example, if an extension of a rookie scale contract is signed on 10/30/05, his BYC begins on 7/12/06, because the first season of the extension is 2006-07. A player's BYC goes away if the team falls below the salary cap, the player signs with a different team, or the player is traded.

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 02:16 AM
after reading I fear this isn't valid. the BYC for Aldridge starts at 07/12/2010.
before this date the poison pill rule is valid.

mountainballer, getting his Blazer GM ass ready. You ready to trade Oden?

Muser
06-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Oh & I'm open to trades with my 8 pick.

mountainballer
06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
mountainballer, getting his Blazer GM ass ready. You ready to trade Oden?

yes, ready to talk. no my priority though. but for the right offer.....

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Okay guys, I am quite stagnant with the process of acquiring participants now. We have 7 more teams remaining and I am not quite sure who to pursue to pick up a team. Any suggestions?

Streakyshooter08
06-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey! Thank you very much for your message. Unfortunatly I really don't have the time right now to join this. I would love to but I have exams und that really takes a lot of time away. Hope you will find the missing participants!!!

8FOR!3
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Give me John Wall baby.. and more guns for Arenas.

I'm willing to part ways with practically anyone not named Danilo Gallinari to get John Wall so I can entice LeBron to come over. Do I have enough to offer? David Lee, Wilson Chandler, #9? Those three for #1 and maybe a couple of worthless contracts you want to get rid of i.e. Oberto?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Are we gonna have a draft for this GM league?

Cry Havoc
06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
What teams are still available?

duncan228
06-17-2010, 02:56 PM
What teams are still available?

It's being updated in the first post, this is as of the last update.

Atlanta Hawks
Detroit Pistons

Memphis Grizzlies
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz

JamStone
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Point at issue. With trades starting to happen between teams, for the purposes of this game, do they apply here? Or do we use the rosters set at the end of last season. So does this possible Philly-Sacramento trade apply to those rosters now or do we ignore it like it's isn't happening?

JamStone
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I'd agree with that.

If we're doing our own draft regardless of how the draft turns out, we should ignore all other off-season moves this summer by teams. I think rosters should be set as of the end of the season and that's what we work with. And any NBA trades that happen this summer don't change the current rosters.

That's just my opinion. Would like an official ruling on that though.

Muser
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree with Jamstone.

No offers for my 8th pick or my mountain of scrubs? :(

JamStone
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree with Jamstone.

No offers for my 8th pick or my mountain of scrubs? :(

Who are you offering and what are you looking to get in return?

I'm already in negotiations to trade Chris Paul. But I'm looking to make more moves as well. I have expiring contracts. I have David West on the block. I can offer Marcus Thornton and possibly Julian Wright to sweeten a deal. Tell me what kind of deal you're looking to make. I'd be interested in Chris Kaman depending on what you're looking for in return.

Killakobe81
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I have Bynum and some creaky knees for sale ...

Walton and a bad back ...

Sasha with a broke jumper ...

Any takers?

Also ...real talk how do we do with players that are expiring?

Do we get to offer contracts to keep them over the cap if they have Bird right's ?

What about roster exemptions?

Killakobe81
06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Also I think we should keep this going at least for 12 months ..otherwise only the teams with cap space or expiring can get much done ...unless there are a LOT of willing trade partners ...

Dex
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
General note: Trevor Ariva is on the block. Surprise surprise.

Also be willing to be part with Battier, Jordan Hill, David Andersen, Jermaine Taylor, and Jared Jeffries if he opts in. Consider these guys on the block; anybody else will require a pretty good offer at this time.

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I have Bynum and some creaky knees for sale ...

Walton and a bad back ...

Sasha with a broke jumper ...

Any takers?

Also ...real talk how do we do with players that are expiring?

Do we get to offer contracts to keep them over the cap if they have Bird right's ?

What about roster exemptions?

Ya, you get to offer contracts as soon as it is July 1st but you can only sign them on July 8th.

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd agree with that.

If we're doing our own draft regardless of how the draft turns out, we should ignore all other off-season moves this summer by teams. I think rosters should be set as of the end of the season and that's what we work with. And any NBA trades that happen this summer don't change the current rosters.

That's just my opinion. Would like an official ruling on that though.

Yep, that is how it is supposed to be anyway. What happens in the real world happens in the real world.

mountainballer
06-18-2010, 04:25 AM
question: how do we handle the whole FA process? I can see that the committee could nix a signing like when a GM reports he just signed Lebron for the MLE. but how can we decide about things like where Lebron, Bosh, Wade etc finally end up?

other question: what about the unsigned draft picks? like I wanted to bring in one of my former picks, who play in Europe. (Claver, Freeland, Koponen)
do I just assume they agree to an offer? Koponen would very likely sign for the rookie scale (#30 2007), he was a #30 pick. Claver maybe yes, maybe no (#22 2009). Freeland could be signed out of the MLE, but might also agree to rookie scale money.

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 04:33 AM
question: how do we handle the whole FA process? I can see that the committee could nix a signing like when a GM reports he just signed Lebron for the MLE. but how can we decide about things like where Lebron, Bosh, Wade etc finally end up?

other question: what about the unsigned draft picks? like I wanted to bring in one of my former picks, who play in Europe. (Claver, Freeland, Koponen)
do I just assume they agree to an offer? Koponen would very likely sign for the rookie scale (#30 2007), he was a #30 pick. Claver maybe yes, maybe no (#22 2009). Freeland could be signed out of the MLE, but might also agree to rookie scale money.

We will try to simulate this process close to reality. Basically, we would send out some information on certain free agents on their choices. To add on, you have to offer contracts to the player as well to the agent of the FA market. I will try to double-up as an agent here until I find one. Next, of course LeBron would want the max, have a chance to win the championship or something like that, so your team has to be built around that as well. After we narrow down the free agent's choices, we then use a randomizer to decide where he goes.

Unsigned draft picks like draft and stash players can be brought over if you wish, assuming that their contract in Europe is over. Remember that according to CBA rules, that a team can only pay a max of 500k in buyouts of Euro contracts. So, that will have an impact on this as well, a Euro player will not come over if he feels that his role is not major enough or he will not be paid enough. Of course, there will be reports announcing this as well. Of course, you have their draft rights, so you could do whatever you want with them, even trade them if you wish.

Also, to spice things up, each GM would receive 7 million in budget to buyout Euro contracts, buy picks and use them in trades.

mudyez
06-18-2010, 05:15 AM
hell, I will roll with the Kings of Sactown!

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 05:15 AM
hell, I will roll with the Kings of Sactown!

Deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudyez
06-18-2010, 05:41 AM
so if anyone is interested in any sacramanto-player...PM me!

everybody can be had, except for Evans (meaning, you only have a chance, if you send an under 26-year allstar my way).

the 5th pick can be aquired too, if the price is ok!

mudyez
06-18-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm interested in rudy fernandez and would like to give him the playing time he is seeking right now...any idea to make it work?

also interested in batum!!!

L.I.T
06-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Just some notes on the Golden State Warriors

All players are for sale. Stephen Curry is practically untouchable, but hey...no one is untouchable provided the right deal is offered.

6th pick is definitely up-for-sale.

I likely will be announcing very soon that Don Nelson suffered an 'apparent' heart attack and will be unable to continue as head coach of the team. Police have decided not to circumstances as they are Warrior fans.

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 06:00 AM

All players are for sale. Stephen Curry is practically untouchable, but hey...no one is untouchable provided the right deal is offered.

I likely will be announcing very soon that Don Nelson suffered an 'apparent' heart attack and will be unable to continue as head coach of the team. Police have decided not to circumstances as they are Warrior fans.

No! The small ball dream has to continue.

mudyez
06-18-2010, 06:39 AM
didnt see the hawes-daly-trade....LOL

does it count, or do I still have hawes?

guess the philly GM wrote, that he doesnt do it and Im fine with it!

mudyez
06-18-2010, 07:01 AM
For the record, I am not agreeing to a Dalembert for Hawes/Andres trade unless I get that 5th pick.

...I dont either...we still have our old squads!

JamStone
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Might be interested in Biedrins if he's available. I think David West could be a good fit for Golden State's style of play. Tell me if you might be interested in a swap.

mudyez
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
players on the block:

Beno Udrih
Donte Greene
Andres Nocioni

mountainballer
06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
official announcement:

Blazer and Kings have agreed to a trade that sends:

Batum, Bayless, Pendergraph and the draft rights to Victor Claver to Kings
for
#5 pick 2010 and Donte Greene.

mudyez
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM
trade announcement (if there is a veto, plz tell us):

the sacramento kings send
pick #5 in the upcoming draft+ Donte Greene
to portland for
Nicolas Batum + Jarryd Bayless + Jeff Pendergraph + the rights to Victor Claver

ajballer4
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
trade announcement (if there is a veto, plz tell us):

the sacramento kings send
pick #5 in the upcoming draft+ Donte Greene
to portland for
Nicolas Batum + Jarryd Bayless + Jeff Pendergraph + the rights to Victor Claver

Nice deal. Greene is good.

lurker23
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Hmmm...this is an interesting trade CBA-wise. The salaries don't match up on the already signed players:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2a6byca

However, I'm assuming the GM's are making this trade either on:

a.) The assumption of the rookie scale for the #5 pick ($2.8 million) or
b.) The fact that the Kings will have room under the salary cap.

However, someone who is more CBA savvy than myself needs to answer this: if the answer is b, do the Kings need to wait until the actual salary cap for 2010-11 is announced? And if the answer is a, do the teams need to wait until the #5 pick is both drafted and signed? And if so, is there a waiting period after the signing in which the team cannot trade said player?

Mel_13
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Hmmm...this is an interesting trade CBA-wise. The salaries don't match up on the already signed players:

However, someone who is more CBA savvy than myself needs to answer this: if the answer is b, do the Kings need to wait until the actual salary cap for 2010-11 is announced? And if the answer is a, do the teams need to wait until the #5 pick is both drafted and signed? And if so, is there a waiting period after the signing in which the team cannot trade said player?

To make the trade as early as possible, Sac will draft the player at #5 and then make the trade after the moratorium is over (July 8) by trading the rights to that player and absorbing the incoming contracts with cap space.

The general rule on waiting period after signing is three months or December 15th, whichever is later. Draft picks, however, may be traded 30 days after signing.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q82

mountainballer
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM

yes, I assumed the Kings are under the cap. (about 20 million).
if necessary we can make it official on July 8th. (or whatever date is the first day when the expiring contracts of the Kings come officially off the books)

btw. if Kings pick for the Blazers they don't need to sign the player they drafted before trading him. and then the available cap room of the Kings can absorb the difference.

Muser
06-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Anybody with offers for Kaman and my 8th pick?

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
official announcement:

Blazer and Kings have agreed to a trade that sends:

Batum, Bayless, Pendergraph and the draft rights to Victor Claver to Kings
for
#5 pick 2010 and Donte Greene.

Sir, I will not accept this deal until July 1st, when all players decide their player options and the cap has been decided. And yes, I know the Kings would have cap space next summer, but can all of you please wait? And next time, please send the proposal to the commissioner (me), so that I can sign off on this thing.

L.I.T
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
No! The small ball dream has to continue.

Second half of the press release will announce that the Golden State Warriors will acquire the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) as an international feeder league.

Don Nelson may be gone, but his spirit and determination to field a team that Shawn Bradley could step over lives on.

L.I.T
06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Sir, I will not accept this deal until July 1st, when all players decide their player options and the cap has been decided. And yes, I know the Kings would have cap space next summer, but can all of you please wait? And next time, please send the proposal to the commissioner (me), so that I can sign off on this thing.

Just to confirm. In principle prior to July 1 we can bandy some trade ideas around, but nothing official can occur until July 1, is that right?

Are there parameters for how the deals can go down? For example, as you said everything has to be cleared by you first, before official announcement?

My apologies if I missed the post earlier in the thread. Thanks!

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd be willing to work with someone as Co-GM of the Pistons. :downspin:

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Just to confirm. In principle prior to July 1 we can bandy some trade ideas around, but nothing official can occur until July 1, is that right?

Are there parameters for how the deals can go down? For example, as you said everything has to be cleared by you first, before official announcement?

My apologies if I missed the post earlier in the thread. Thanks!

For example, the Blazers-Kings deal cannot be done until July 1st, if I am correct, either that or draft day, due to the fact that the Kings are over the cap. Technically, you can do deals now provided if the deals work financially wise now. They will not be over the cap by July 1st. As for approval, just send it to me, well, just to confirm. It is nothing much, really. Because I just want to confirm to see whether the deal actually works, and to easily keep track of all the deals. Nothing much really.

Update: AFBlue takes the Memphis Grizzlies. Go Juiceman. TimDunkem takes the Detroit Pistons.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Every Piston except Stuckey is on the block.

L.I.T
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Might be interested in Biedrins if he's available. I think David West could be a good fit for Golden State's style of play. Tell me if you might be interested in a swap.

Yes, I would be interested in a deal. Are you looking at a straight up swap?

8FOR!3
06-18-2010, 10:37 PM
L.I.T I just sent you a PM. Answer my hopes and dreams and take on Eddy Curry's contract. =)

mountainballer
06-19-2010, 03:00 AM

ok.
could we add the official procedure for trade approval and announcements to the rules in the starting post?
this announcement didn't intend to ignore the committee. just happened out of the euphoria about a done deal and to boost the whole GM game.
(we will put the deal on hold till 1st July, but I think it's fair for the others to know about already agreed deals and what the parameters of the deal are.)

mudyez
06-19-2010, 03:04 AM
looking to trade

andres nocioni
and
beno udrih

...just make your proposals...

UnWantedTheory
06-19-2010, 04:34 AM
DAMN! This was a good idea for those who can actually do so. It seems semi-complicated and tedious. I do not have the wherewithall to have participated in this. Goodluck fellas.

mudyez
06-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Can I fire Paul Westphal and hire Becky Hammon as my new head coach?

That will give me a major boost in brand recognition and with my new scramento-girly-shirt collection, the female basketball fanbase will me mine! :-D

Muser
06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Clippers/76ers close to a deal.

Darkwaters
06-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm teaming up with mountainballer to help run the Blazers.

mudyez
06-19-2010, 09:10 AM
want to trade for Kirilenko, but Utah has no GM yet :(

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Update: Darkwaters teams up with mountainballer as a member of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Vic Petro
06-19-2010, 02:39 PM
The Minnesota Timberwolves are open for business. We have three 1st rounders, an underrated big man with an ugly contract, several young players and a dazzling Euro PG on the block. Willing to talk about anyone.

disciple
06-19-2010, 07:43 PM
What will you do if all the teams are not filled by draft night?

Manudona
06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
If Utah is still available...

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
If Utah is still available...

Yes they are. Why?

Manudona
06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes they are. Why?

I thought that I would like to participate, but, after starting reading the thread, I think I would not be able to give all the time it will required, I thought it would be more like www.basketsim.com, which I dedicate a couple of minutes per day. Sorry.

AFBlue
06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Grizzlies willing to talk about all three first round picks and S&T for Rudy Gay. If you try to sign him outright, I will match.

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 11:04 PM
4 more teams to go, and then we will be all set. Still waiting for Cry Havoc to decide on a team and stretch to get unbanned.

TimDunkem
06-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Is there anyone here crazy enough to take Charlie Villanueva? :lol

mudyez
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
hope we find those missing GM's...maybe some GM's that teamed up to manage one team, can part ways and manager one team alone?

MavDynasty
06-20-2010, 02:55 PM
4 more teams to go, and then we will be all set. Still waiting for Cry Havoc to decide on a team and stretch to get unbanned.

What did strech get banned for ?

blkroadrunners
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Being Stretch himself.

disciple
06-20-2010, 05:38 PM
What if on our draft night someone does not make their pick within the time limit? Do they forfeight their pick?>

TimDunkem
06-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Will their pick be chosen for them by someone?

Chieflion
06-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Update: Roblean takes the Denver Nuggets.

Chieflion
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM

stretch got banned from the Spurs forum for starting lmao threads here during the playoffs.

8FOR!3
06-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Didn't we all do a lol/lmao/lmfao/rofl thread at some point on here during the playoffs?

MavDynasty
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Didn't we all do a lol/lmao/lmfao/rofl/crofl thread at some point on here during the playoffs?

fify :toast

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Announcement: After much contemplation, if everything is okay with the participants, we will have our 2010 NBA draft on 23 June 2010. We will meet in the chat room and then commence the start of the draft at 6PM ET. Each pick will last for 3 minutes. I will announce which team is on the clock.

As for the 2 remaining teams (Suns, Jazz), I will be handling them until someone wants to take them.

Trading block for Jazz: Andrei Kirilenko, Paul Millsap, Mehmet Okur, Carlos Boozer for S&T, 9th pick.

Trading block for Suns: Amar'e Stoudemire for S&T, Steve Nash (if Amar'e leaves), Jason Richardson, Earl Clark, Leandro Barbosa.

Edit: Please meet at 6PM ET. For my European participants, as a compromise to everyone.

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Update: timtonymanu has taken the Atlanta Hawks. The trading block above for the Hawks, which was there before, has just become completely irrelevant.

JamStone
06-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm 90% sure I'll be able to do the draft, but there's a chance I might not be home from work yet at that time. Just in case, I'll be sending a list of my desired picks in order of who I want depending who is available to someone who definitely will be there.

If I'm there on time, I'll also make myself available for others to do the same and send me their picks and I'll make their picks for them. I just know when something like this takes place, things come up, people might be late checking in, people forget, shit like that.

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
And damn you Phila_Chamberlain, for not accepting my premise of a deal.

urunobili
06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
where can I get a list of draftable players for me to chose my pick?

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 09:35 AM
where can I get a list of draftable players for me to chose my pick?

www.draftexpress.com
www.nbadraft.net

These 2 are probably the ones you can use to start off with.

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
That was extremely lop-sided in your favor.

Notice how I didn't use blue.

I was trying to fleece you Pau Gasol style. You saw right through me.

Dex
06-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Draft time sounds good to me, I do believe.

ajballer4
06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Chieflion, I have a real quick question.

When it comes to trading draft picks, and a player or two is also involved, the contracts still have to match like a normal trade right? As in, do the draft picks calculate any extra exception or whatever? Sorry Im having trouble wording this. Also, is there any way on trade machine to trade picks?

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll be there. #18 pick is definitely up for grabs if someone is interested in moving up or down.

lurker23
06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Chieflion, I have a real quick question.

When it comes to trading draft picks, and a player or two is also involved, the contracts still have to match like a normal trade right? As in, do the draft picks calculate any extra exception or whatever? Sorry Im having trouble wording this. Also, is there any way on trade machine to trade picks?

Until draft picks are signed, they have zero monetary value when it comes to matching salaries. So yes, if players are involved, the two teams have to match salaries with these already signed players.

Teams can buy draft picks outright from other teams for no more than $3 million.

If you have no other way to match salaries than involving the draft pick, then you could draft a guy for someone else, sign him, and then trade him 30 days later.

ajballer4
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Until draft picks are signed, they have zero monetary value when it comes to matching salaries. So yes, if players are involved, the two teams have to match salaries with these already signed players.

Teams can buy draft picks outright from other teams for no more than $3 million.

If you have no other way to match salaries than involving the draft pick, then you could draft a guy for someone else, sign him, and then trade him 30 days later.

Perfect. Thanks

JamStone
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Trade agreed in principle between the Hornets and the Mavericks, submitted for league approval.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cz8wqz

Emeka Okafor and Marcus Thornton

for

Caron Butler

mudyez
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
anybody interested in beno udrih?

13ppg/2,8rpg/4,7apg

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

Anyone on the cleveland roster can be had at the right price. looking for a draft pick.

rascal
06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
What if on our draft night someone does not make their pick within the time limit? Do they forfeight their pick?>

This is where the commissioner uses his power. There should be a pre draft list already made of the top draft picks in order. The commissioner makes this list. If a team doesn't show up for the draft the next highest player still not drafted off the list goes to the next pick.

rascal
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I'll take Phoenix

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 01:59 PM
If anyone is looking for another draft pick I got the #18, #41, #42 and #48 picks.

LnGrrrR
06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey Rayray2k8, would you like your namesake? He's available! I'm also willing to throw in a jacuzzi, some icepacks, and some Geritol. :)

LnGrrrR
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
This is where the commissioner uses his power. There should be a pre draft list already made of the top draft picks in order. The commissioner makes this list. If a team doesn't show up for the draft the next highest player still not drafted off the list goes to the next pick.

I'll probably have to make a list as the draft occurs during my work hours.

mudyez
06-21-2010, 04:01 PM

maybe one of the mentioned lists would do it, but that may be to predictable.

objective
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Pacers GM here.

Granger is untouchable, and Hibbert is close.

It's a new era here in Indy though. So if guys like Murphy, Dunleavy and Hansborough are your thing, I'm all ears.

mudyez
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
If anyone is looking for another draft pick I got the #18, #41, #42 and #48 picks.

looking to trade udrih (and maybe noce) for secoundrounders!!!

can we make a deal?

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Update: rascal takes the Phoenix Suns. jburnell takes the Utah Jazz.

Final Update: Hell yeah! We are done!

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Trade agreed in principle between the Hornets and the Mavericks, submitted for league approval.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cz8wqz

Emeka Okafor and Marcus Thornton

for

Caron Butler

Once it is July 1st, it will go through.

rascal
06-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Have a list already made before the draft. It will get too crazy doing it all on draft night. Post the predraft list before the draft. 50 players should be enough if it is 1 round.

Is the draft only 1 round or 2? Have the top 50 players ranked on your list as they get drafted cross them off, when it comes to a team that is not at the draft the next guy off the list goes to that team regardless of team needs.

Unless:
If a team is not going to be at the draft they can send the commissioner their prefered draft list if they would rather do it that way. The highest guy on that list that is not yet drafted will be the one picked.

rascal
06-21-2010, 08:00 PM
When is the draft? Our draft?

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 08:01 PM
When is the draft? Our draft?

23 July 2010, 6PM ET.

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
JJ Hickson on the market..

LnGrrrR
06-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Unless:
If a team is not going to be at the draft they can send the commissioner their prefered draft list if they would rather do it that way. The highest guy on that list that is not yet drafted will be the one picked.

This is what I meant. :)

Edit: I see the confusion. I meant the word "as" to fill in for "because" up there... I will have to fill out a predraft list, seeing as/because I will be working during draft hours.

timtonymanu
06-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Mike Bibby is on the trading block.

Vic Petro
06-21-2010, 09:33 PM
To All Of Those Franchises In Need Of A Bit Of Cap Relief

I invite you to consider Ryan Gomes. He is on the books for $4.26 million next season. However, if he is waived by June 30th, only $1 million is guaranteed, resulting in a free $3.26 million in cap space to the team acquiring him. If he is not waived by June 30th, the $4.26 million and two additional years become guaranteed.

So if you are looking for that extra oomph to put you over the top on a free agent offer, I can help. I could use help at the wing positions. Unlike India, I have no untouchables.

mudyez
06-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Have a list already made before the draft. It will get too crazy doing it all on draft night. Post the predraft list before the draft. 50 players should be enough if it is 1 round.

Is the draft only 1 round or 2? Have the top 50 players ranked on your list as they get drafted cross them off, when it comes to a team that is not at the draft the next guy off the list goes to that team regardless of team needs.

Unless:

if the majority of GM's is available at drafttime, we should have both rounds (but I'd suggest to have a 60player list then). if most GM's are using lists, it makes sense to have the second round a day later (but then it colides with the real draft).

Chieflion
06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
We should just have both rounds regardless of how many people are there. The main reason why is because I don't want the real NBA draft to influence the decisions of the participants. The secondary reason is to make a Spurstalk "consensus" mock draft for the real NBA draft.

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 02:45 AM
question:
in the real NBA the Blazers just traded up in the 2nd round in a deal with the Warriors. (swapped #44 and cash for #34)
does this mean this will also be the draft order tomorrow. or do we work with the order from the start of our GM game?

mudyez
06-22-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm not the one to decide that, but we may need a official starting date for the whole thing!

(as some trades allready are worked out, that would have to be the start of the thread or something like that)