PDA

View Full Version : Where does Shaq rank as one of the best to ever wear a Lakers jersey?

ezau
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Ever since Shaq left LA, people have stopped giving credit to the man who was responsible for the last three-peat in the NBA. Where will you rank him as a Laker?

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I just wonder what he looks like naked.

Can ya imagine it?

ezau
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I just wonder what he looks like naked.

Can ya imagine it?

why have you gone full homo, Cul?

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 09:58 PM
why have you gone full homo, Cul?

I ain't. I'm just curious to see Daddy in the raw.

ezau
06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I ain't. I'm just curious to see Daddy in the raw.

*straightface*

Giuseppe
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
*straightface*

Yes. There is nothing wrong with enjoying nudity.

stretch
06-15-2010, 07:46 AM
1. Kobe
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Shaq
5. West (as GM of the Grizzlies)

TheManFromAcme
06-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Ask different age groups and you'll get different answers.
In my case, nothing touches Magic. Nothing.

1. Magic
2. Cap
3. Wilt
4. Kobe

Shaq is somewhere between whale crap (which is as low at it gets) and Chuck Nevitt

Metheny
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Cmon man the guy was a beast and lead the laker's to three straight championships put on the most dominating finals performance in NBA history and then there are some who say those rings are Kobe's for people who actually have a brain Shaq is clearly one of the best player's to ever put on a laker's jersey.If your going based on who's the best player that ever wore a laker's jersey i think it would be something like this.

1. Kareem <---- Greatest player to play in a laker's jersey.
2.Magic <---- Greatest Laker ever.
3.Wilt <----Wilt the stilt hell people can claim hes number 2 or 1
4.Shaquille O'neal <------ Leader of 3 straight championship teams dominated the finals one of the best primes of any player ever.
5.Kobe or West. <-------Some will argue Elgin Baylor but i think West and Kobe take it with there respected championships.

TheManFromAcme
06-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Cmon man the guy was a beast and lead the laker's to three straight championships put on the most dominating finals performance in NBA history and then there are some who say those rings are Kobe's for people who actually have a brain Shaq is clearly one of the best player's to ever put on a laker's jersey.If your going based on who's the best player that ever wore a laker's jersey i think it would be something like this.

1. Kareem <---- Greatest player to play in a laker's jersey.
2.Magic <---- Greatest Laker ever.
3.Wilt <----Wilt the stilt hell people can claim hes number 2 or 1
4.Shaquille O'neal <------ Leader of 3 straight championship teams dominated the finals one of the best primes of any player ever.
5.Kobe or West. <-------Some will argue Elgin Baylor but i think West and Kobe take it with there respected championships.

Trust me. We had him for the longest. Sure he was dominant. I am not arguing that point and because of him we have 3 banners. Thanks Shaq! :tu

Still put Magic at the top. Natural leader. No big mouth. Carried his team on his back.

Again, it's all a matter of opinion that go beyond just stats.

Nahtanoj
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
As a player? A win this year puts Kobe above Shaq and Kareem IMO. Right now, Shaq is sitting below Magic and slightly below Kareem.

As an overall Laker? Jerry West is at the top, naturally.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Kobe will be remembered as a Laker much more than Shaq will be. Shaq will be remembered as Shaq, moreso than being associated with any one team. If I had to shoehorn an analogy in, I'd say it's the same for Randy Moss. He'll be remembered more for being Randy Moss, then being with the Vikings or Patriots or Raiders.

Findog
06-15-2010, 09:15 AM
As far as contributions to the Laker franchise, I'd go with Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Elgin and West over Shaq.

ChrisRichards
06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Magic, Kobe, Kareem, West and then Shaq. Shaq burned too many bridges with LA to be considered the best. He had a great 3 year run. His performance in the Finals is unquestionable but sometimes people value loyalty and class and Shaq has never been the guy who has both. But in terms of impact? He's second behind Magic IMO.

JamStone
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
His exit from the Lakers, his feuds or squabbles with each of Kobe, Phil, and Buss, and his work ethic and attitude while he was there probably stains his legacy with the Lakers at least from Laker fan perspective.

Based on his performance alone, he'd probably be behind only Magic and Kareem. However, there are beloved guys like Elgin and Logo who are revered despite not actually producing titles or only achieving one yet are still regarded among the Laker greats.

I think if you take into consideration all factors, the list would probably shake down like this:

1. Magic
2. Kareem
3. Kobe
4. West
5. Shaq
6. Wilt
7. Elgin

Wilt could be higher but only five years with the Lakers and it was late in his career when he did start to decline. Elgin could probably have been the greatest Laker if he won a couple of titles. If Kobe wins this year, I think there's a legit argument he passes Kareem and is only behind Magic.

On paper, Shaq should probably be a top 3 Laker great. But too many other variables factor in that would probably make most Laker fans deny that. His shortened stint here offers an excuse to drop him down the ladder. I'm sure there are plenty of Laker fans who don't consider Shaq a true Laker.

TheManFromAcme
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
His exit from the Lakers, his feuds or squabbles with each of Kobe, Phil, and Buss, and his work ethic and attitude while he was there probably stains his legacy with the Lakers at least from Laker fan perspective.

Based on his performance alone, he'd probably be behind only Magic and Kareem. However, there are beloved guys like Elgin and Logo who are revered despite not actually producing titles or only achieving one yet are still regarded among the Laker greats.

I think if you take into consideration all factors, the list would probably shake down like this:

1. Magic
2. Kareem
3. Kobe
4. West
5. Shaq
6. Wilt
7. Elgin

Wilt could be higher but only five years with the Lakers and it was late in his career when he did start to decline. Elgin could probably have been the greatest Laker if he won a couple of titles. If Kobe wins this year, I think there's a legit argument he passes Kareem and is only behind Magic.

On paper, Shaq should probably be a top 3 Laker great. But too many other variables factor in that would probably make most Laker fans deny that. His shortened stint here offers an excuse to drop him down the ladder. I'm sure there are plenty of Laker fans who don't consider Shaq a true Laker.

:tu Nice post Jam

In all reality, after reading your post, that is now my modified list. You got Earv at #1, ....that's all I need to know.

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Since the Award, Jammie deserves it. The bestowment was ass backwards, yer supposed to earn it and then get it, but, all's well that ends well.

Fpoonsie
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Fuck Shaq.

TheMACHINE
06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
1 Magic
2 Kobe
3 West
4 Kareem
5 Elgin
6 Shaq

Killakobe81
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
:tu Nice post Jam

In all reality, after reading your post, that is now my modified list. You got Earv at #1, ....that's all I need to know.

i agree Jam and Acme ...

Magic is still my all-time favorite Laker Kobe needs this title and one more for me to have him replace Magic ...

Killakobe81
06-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Ever since Shaq left LA, people have stopped giving credit to the man who was responsible for the last three-peat in the NBA. Where will you rank him as a Laker?

of course he deserves credit ...but he never won BEFORE Phil, Kobe horry or Fisher ...

He won ONE after but that was with Wade, ZO etc doing A LOT of the crunch time lifting ....

Shaq was great but no 1 man show as many on here believe ...

I saw shaq's every game in L.A> yes he COULD be dominant but the dude had HUGE holes in his game:

PNR defense
FREE THROWS
Cant rely on him in the clutch
Boarding or shotblocking consistently
Injured a lot
Starting the season out of shape
wouldnt play defense if he didnt get the ball
Petty smal and childish for someone so big

WITH ALL of the above being said ...

He was a bull in the paint
People feared and respected him
Probably the best Freeagent signing IN NBA history
He brought us back in to title contention
Great with community service

He deserves his jersey hung but he is far below the most revered Lakers:

Magic
West
Kareem
Baylor
Kobe

Shaq

TheManFromAcme
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
He deserves his jersey hung but he is far below the most revered Lakers:

Magic
West
Kareem
Baylor
Kobe
^
'
'
'
'
Shaq

Most definitely. He should have just kept his mouth shut. get traded and go on with his business. I have no problem with him winning one with the Heat but the fact that he bashed the organization hence the fans, he lost plenty of my respect. A small pocket of my heart still holds a special place for him and I do hope to see his name among the Laker greats but in a hierarchical manner that puts him in his proper place. A honorable mention if you will.

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Most definitely. He should have just kept his mouth shut. get traded and go on with his business. I have no problem with him winning one with the Heat but the fact that he bashed the organization hence the fans, he lost plenty of my respect. A small pocket of my heart still holds a special place for him and I do hope to see his name among the Laker greats but in a hierarchical manner that puts him in his proper place. A honorable mention if you will.

What really hurt Daddy was Phil coming back to Los Angeles, hat in hand, Kobe waiting with a platter of crow, his pants down to his ankles, ass ready for Phil to smootch, permission needed for Phil to proceed.

It never got the Media to appreciate because it didn't go the way they thought it would go:::(Kobe eating crow forever).

Matzel, matzel, good things.t

TheManFromAcme
06-15-2010, 01:35 PM
What really hurt Daddy was Phil coming back to Los Angeles, hat in hand, Kobe waiting with a platter of crow, his pants down to his ankles, ass ready for Phil to smootch, permission needed for Phil to proceed.

It never got the Media to appreciate because it didn't go the way they thought it would go:::(Kobe eating crow forever).

Yup

Isitjustme?
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Oh boy, what a thread! Jerry West better than Shaq in his prime!

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM

2 days afore:::

Kobe: 5

tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

jacobdrj
05-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Top 3 in big men.
Top 5 all time.

There is some wiggle room.

dunkman
05-25-2011, 11:42 AM
1. Magic
2. Kareem
3. Kobe
4. Mikan
5. Shaq
6. Worthy
7. Gasol
8. West (as player)
9. Wilt
10. Baylor

picc84
05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
I hope his jersey stays absent from the rafters. And good riddance if it does.

Venti Quattro
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM

RETIRE MY JERSEY, JIMMY! :lmao :lmao

dunkman
05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
2 days afore:::

Kobe "the skunkerman" Bryant : 4 skunkers
Duncan : only 2 skunkers

Venti Quattro
05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Kobe "the skunkerman" Bryant : 4 skunkers
Duncan : only 2 skunkers

That's cos Kobe has been through more playoff battles. He even gave away three seasons to Jim Dunan

Killakobe81
05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

1. Shaq in his 2000 MVP season was everything I had hoped for when he came to L.A. he was focused, clutch in shape and was the leader of that team both on and off the court. I would put shaq's 2000 regualr season and playoffs up with any of MJ's or anybody elses greatest seasons of the past 30years ...PJ did wonders for his psyche.

2. But the shaq the next 5 years (regual season) was not the same star. Sure we won 2 more titles. But he openly feuded with Kobe, (they both deserve blame) got out of shape, took surgeries "on company time", said that he would not "guard the house if the dog is not being fed", sucked at Ft's and never really expanded his range. He feuded with our beloved owner and questioned our GM (Kobe did that last one too BTW)

3. Shaq in his Lakers years was one of the best playoffs/Finals performers in NBA history. Sure he did not care about all 82 regular season games, but he did bring it more times than not in May and June. He and PJ were the primary reasons, the 12 year drought of titles ended, and I am eternally grateful.

But if 1-3 are all true, that is why although one of the greatest Lakers ever he will not surpass Magic or even Kobe in the eyes of many Laker fans.

My greatest Lakers:

1. Magic
2. Kareem
3. Kobe
4. West (primarilyl as exec, not old enough to have seen him play)
5. Shaq
6. PJ
7. Riles
8. Baylor
9. Mikan
10. Wilt

dunkman
05-25-2011, 12:23 PM
That's cos Kobe has been through more playoff battles. He even gave away three seasons to Jim Dunan

The Lakers got skunked in 99 in good part because Kobe's poor shot selection and turnovers. But he was only 20, not yet in his prime.

The '04 near skunker was because Kobe wanted to prove something, he took too many ill adviced shots that series.

Then the Kobe's Lakers missed '05, which is, if the previous skunk doesn't count, worst than a skunker since the Lakers missed the playoffs. Some say the Lakers lacked talent with Kobe, Butler and Odom, but he run Malone out.

Finally, there is the '11 skunker, with Gasol and Odom saying all season that Kobe takes too many shots.

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Let us proceed...

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
The Skunker!!!

dunkman
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
He ranks high Giuseppe . . .

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
He ranks high Giuseppe . . .

He looks a little puny after the divorce:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1

dunkman
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
He looks a little puny after the divorce:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1

Unfortunately, Kobe's been just as good in the skunker apartment. Not only that some people credit Gasol with da last 2 championships, but that stuff completely ruined Kobe's legacy . . .

Hopefully he will recover with Mike Brown as HC. :)

ohmwrecker
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Top Ten:

01 Kareem
02 Magic
03 Wilt
04 West
05 Kobe
06 Shaq
07 Baylor
08 Worthy
09 Fish
10 Goodrich

hater
05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
1. Kareem
2. Shaq
3. Wilt

Shaq would have dominated even more the white boys that Wilt used to go against

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 01:44 PM
but that stuff completely ruined Kobe's legacy . . .

I take my solace at:::

I waited on that for two years. And I'm gonna pound that up Spurs Fandom's ass till the cows come home.

dunkman
05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I take my solace at:::

I waited on that for two years. And I'm gonna pound that up Spurs Fandom's ass till the cows come home.

Uh, uh . . . it was sooo difficult for poor Kobe with Shaq commanding triple-teams on every possession. Any all-star SG would have been great there and any NBA player is supposed to make wide open shots.

After shipping Shaq out, Kobe needed Gasol and Bynum to do something again. And the last two championships were because of Gasol/Bynum/Odom rebounding, defense and efficient scoring - not at all because of Kobe.

When Gasol played at serviceable level only, the Lakers didn't go too far ending with a skunker.

What do would Duncan accomplish that kind of help?

Giuseppe
05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
What do would Duncan accomplish that kind of help?

I don't do "would."

It's my religion.

I do:::

It's my religion.

lefty
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I would have West over Shaq, even though he has only 1 ring

The Shaq Lakers had virtually no competition in the Finals

West had to face a mega-stacked Celtics team every year; anf that mega-stacked Celtics hated to play against Jerry

ohmwrecker
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't do "would."

It's my religion.

It is the big bang theory to your religion, tbh.