PDA

View Full Version : Rip Hamilton. Would you?

jn77
06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, I have been talking about this alot at work latley. Would you take Rip? He is still a good defender, he can create for others, and he is still an offensive threat. Detroit is taking apart their team, maybe we can get him cheap, or just for draft picks. Is it possible? If it is would you do it?

MarkCuban
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I am working on a 13 year $550 million deal as we speak

:elephant

Juanobili
06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
no

DesignatedT
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
nope.

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
32 years old

declining numbers

missed 50 games over the last two seasons

3yrs/37.5M remaining on contract

So.....no thanks

Vinnie_Johnson
06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Rip still has a lot of game for the right team. Yes he is overpaid not as much as RJ though.

UnWantedTheory
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Not for that contract,....but he can still be a valuable asset for the right team.

Cane
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
He seems like too much of a gamble in terms of $$$ and his injury history. When it comes to wing players the Spurs need a combination of both bulk and height since the Spurs are pretty small as-is especially if you figure that RJ will be gone by February.

Rip still has a lot of game for the right team. Yes he is overpaid not as much as RJ though.

Rip's older and has a longer contract. RJ will probably be easier to move by Feb. since his is expiring.

Mel_13
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM

RJ 1yr/15.2M

Rip 3yrs/37.5M

8FOR!3
06-14-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a lot of respect for Rip, he gave the Spurs some wars in the playoffs when the Pistons were contending, but at this point in his career I wouldn't want to have him unless he could sign for the vet min which won't happen.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-14-2010, 10:42 PM
RJ 1yr/15.2M

Rip 3yrs/37.5M

My bad :wow

06-14-2010, 11:01 PM
hamilton will be one of the better choices near the deadline. i would take the risk if the spurs don't have any better options.

baseline bum
06-15-2010, 01:03 AM
The Spurs have too many scorers to run plays for Hamilton. I think it'd be a failure like Rice was in LA for the same reason.

tp2021
06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
No.

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2010, 02:40 AM
rather try and get prince

06-15-2010, 03:58 AM
i'd imagine hamilton to be a lesser version of ray allen. compared to jefferson, hamilton can play off the ball, defense, and make spot up jump shots. celtics manage to fit allen into their offense despite having so many offensive options. plus, the spurs always had room for an off the ball shooter in finley. hamilton should be better than finley.

hamilton has been pretty healthy his entire career. the last two years may just be a fluke. if he proves to stay healthy and effective, then i don't see how he would be a bad fit.

TimDunkem
06-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Hamilton coming off screens is much better than RJ doing the same thing, but the fact that he's unhealthy, and has an ugly contract is just too much to consider trading for him.

duhoh
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
rather try and get prince

:tu

that would be nice indeed.

lefty
06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok, I have been talking about this alot at work latley. Would you take Rip? He is still a good defender, he can create for others, and he is still an offensive threat. Detroit is taking apart their team, maybe we can get him cheap, or just for draft picks. Is it possible? If it is would you do it?
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/KingDaddy18/disgustedReactionSouthParkCreators.gif

Seventyniner
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
The pipe dream, IMO, is Prince + Maxiell for RJ straight up. Prince is in his last year, Maxiell has 3 more years at $5M each. Works under the cap, but the Pistons are likely not that desperate to cut a little salary, and I'm not sure it would be worth it to the Spurs to throw in the #20 pick.

JamStone
06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Rip is still a solid NBA player. Getting up there in age, but still a really good player in this league, especially if he's not the best player on the team. Last couple of seasons, he has missed some games. But let's be honest. A large part of that was a product of the Iverson fiasco and then just outright sucking last year and the coaching staff and front office basically telling him to sit while they play the younger players. Injury hasn't been a very big issue with Rip for most of his career so you'd have to look at those factors for all the missed games the last two seasons.

Rip would be a decent fit for the Spurs. Still a great midrange shooter. Still makes the entire defense work with his off the ball movement. Not a 20+ point scorer and is unselfish. He can give you 17-18 ppg and not demand more touches if the team is winning. Doesn't dominate the ball. Doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. And he has the right mentality and winning approach when he's on a good team: whatever it takes for the team to win.

The deal breaker is obviously his contract. It's not very appealing. He's not egregiously overpaid and it's not max money, so it isn't as scary as some other players, especially if a team thinks Rip can still be productive. But it's still not a no-brainer trade pick-up purely based on the contract he has.

Couple of things that could make the Spurs acquiring Rip something they'd consider. When the Spurs re-evaluate the roster this summer and pretty much come to the conclusion that it's the next couple seasons of Tim Duncan's career and they go for it, Rip might be a player they consider. I think some people think that's what they had already started to do by trading for Jefferson and signing an older McDyess. So this would fall in line the same way if they thought Rip could be the right move. Also, if the Spurs trade Tony Parker (not saying they will or they won't, but if they do), I think it would make more sense. Tony Parker had become the primary perimeter scorer on the Spurs. With the emergence of Hill, I know there were at least some rumors that the Spurs could consider trading Parker. Rip would make more sense so he could be the main perimeter scorer on a team that would then feature Hill at PG and whoever at SF. Would also allow Manu to go back to the bench (to the disdain of Nationale Argentine) and help monitor his minutes through the course of the season.

Rip's contract situation makes it pretty much a "no thank you" type scenario. But if the chips fall in just the right places, he might be a viable option for the Spurs.

mingus
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
he doesn't give the Spurs a lot of spacing. not a consistent 3-point shooter. i'd rather have him here than RJ, though. and two years from now when Duncan is gone and this team is no longer a contender, the Spurs would have him and Manu as expirings.

Muser
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
We need to get more athletic, not more lethargic.

Seventyniner
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
We need to get more athletic, not more lethargic.

Seriously, use your own brain and not someone else's. When you think of "athletic" teams, who comes to mind? Golden State? Lottery team. Charlotte? First round fodder. Denver? Closer, but we have much higher aspirations.

Face it, it takes veterans and stars to win in this league. Look at the Lakers and the Celtics. Who are the most athletic players on those teams? Nate Robinson? 8th man. Andrew Bynum is hobbling. Rondo is about as close as you get to a key player on one of those teams being stereotypically "athletic".

Muser
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Seriously, use your own brain and not someone else's. When you think of "athletic" teams, who comes to mind? Golden State? Lottery team. Charlotte? First round fodder. Denver? Closer, but we have much higher aspirations.

Face it, it takes veterans and stars to win in this league. Look at the Lakers and the Celtics. Who are the most athletic players on those teams? Nate Robinson? 8th man. Andrew Bynum is hobbling. Rondo is about as close as you get to a key player on one of those teams being stereotypically "athletic".

Fuck yeah!! Let's sign more vets like we have in the past!! That's worked so well in the past 2/3 years.

JamStone
06-15-2010, 02:05 PM
The argument that Rip's lack of three point shooting doesn't allow for good spacing is a weak one. Rip's off the ball movement forces defenses to react much more than a good spot up three point shooter would. That's far more valuable than any spacing could provide. And Rip is an adequate three point shooter. He's just not a potent one who puts up 5+ three point shots a game. Again, his movement off the ball is far more valuable.

And we're witnessing right now in the NBA Finals that it's not about athleticism. The Lakers and Celtics are two teams filled with crusty ass old players that got to the Finals more by skill than athleticism. LeBron is in his living room. Dwight is in his living room. Wade is in his living room. Amare is in his living room. The Spurs could use some athleticism. But of more bottomline importance is improvement. Athleticism isn't the only way a team can improve.

ducks
06-15-2010, 02:59 PM
rip would be better then mason and rj

yes bad contract
but you are not going to get a great contract trading rj

jamstone how is rip's corner three?

06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
hamilton would provide the spurs with a much needed shooter. it's not like mason, hairston, or jefferson are even contributing jump shots. i think hamilton is pretty low maintenance and should fit well next to ginobili and parker who tend to dominate the ball. i rather see hamilton camping the three line waiting for an open shot than a lot of wing players out there in the NBA.

as for his contract, ginobili has about the same. if some people accepted the ginobili contract, who is about the same age with even more injury questions, i don't see how hamilton's will be too bad. it's certainly not reasonable but it's not that bad, just like ginobili's contract. also, everything is going downhill after duncan retires so it's really only about the next two years. the question will be can he contribute at a good level in the next two years.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I suppose he's an attractive enough guy, I'm not gay or anything but if he would just take the mask off I guess I would say yes to him

lefty
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I suppose he's an attractive enough guy, I'm not gay or anything but if he would just take the mask off I guess I would say yes to him
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Platinumgamer164/th6ono1hw.gif

JamStone
06-15-2010, 03:46 PM
jamstone how is rip's corner three?

Rip can shoot the corner three pointer very well. He's just not a high volume three point attempts guy. Maybe some people don't remember, but he actually led the league in three point shooting in 2005-06. He's very capable. But he also understands that his bread and butter is the midrange jumper off of curls. He rarely will settle for a three pointer if he can get a higher quality shot for himself or a teammate.

I'm not trying to advocate the Spurs to acquire him. I'm just trying to dispel some of the things that are being said here about Rip.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
On a serious note, the Spurs don't need to get athletic all around, they need to either add an athlete (or use the ones sitting on the bench) at the 5 or 3 to slow down guys getting to the bucket.