PDA

View Full Version : God Hates Touchdowns.

RandomGuy
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning

MONROE, Ohio – A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2010/06/15/image6583609g.jpg
Click to see it before it burned to the ground (just in case the hotlinked picture doesn't work). (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/oh/OHMONjesus04.jpg)

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark Neu said. The fire department would release a monetary damage estimate Tuesday, he said.

Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
retards constantly breaking their own commandments

Thou shalt not make a graven image of anything that is in heaven.

bus driver
06-15-2010, 09:12 AM
well that explains it, i thought it was only tony romo

The Reckoning
06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
retards constantly breaking their own commandments

Thou shalt not make a graven image of anything that is in heaven.

:lol

dude, your obsession with making stupid assumptions about religion entertains me with every post you make. keep it up :toast.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 09:35 AM
:lol

dude, your obsession with making stupid assumptions about religion entertains me with every post you make. keep it up :toast.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:4-6)

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Got an e-mail from a friend from Ohio this morning about how "Big Butter Jesus" was no more.

koriwhat
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
fuck religion! burn motherfucker burn!

The Reckoning
06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:4-6)

that's like telling the Americans they have to follow every word of the Magna Carta instead of interpreting it :lmao.

this issue was resolved long ago. look up "the Great Schism."

Destro
06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
god hates fags

PixelPusher
06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Zeus Hates Touchdowns.

ffy

Sisk
06-15-2010, 08:44 PM
fuck religion! burn motherfucker burn!

lolwtfcalftats