PDA

View Full Version : BP buys 32 machines from Kevin Coster

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
P8mTpPrb30k

Each of his machines can clean ocean water into 99.9% water purity and 99.9% oil purity, at a rate of 200 gallons per minute, or 2,000 barrels a day. BP ordered 32 of them!

BP tested the machines, and they have been put through hell and they passed with flying colors.

Ocean Therapy Solutions is a company owned by actor Kevin Costner. He acquired the company from the United States government for US$24 million in 1995. The company specializes in developing oil separation machines. After witnessing the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989, Costner was inspired to find a solution to separate oil from water and therefore acquired the company. He found it difficult to find any interest in the company's products, until BP placed an order for several of the company's devices in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

-----------------

Looks like the Gulf isn't fucked after all :)

boutons_deux
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Waterworld rules!

Not sure I'd drink water with 0.1% crude, tho.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Good for Kevin.

ElNono
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's Kevin operating one of the machines himself!

http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/screengrab/2009/03/waterworld.jpg

admiralsnackbar
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Hope they work as advertised. Hard-selling Congress seems to shill your goods seems like a good way to get sales out of BPs PR dept, not the Operations budget.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Hope they work as advertised. Hard-selling Congress seems to shill your goods seems like a good way to get sales out of BPs PR dept, not the Operations budget.
Me too. At least the commercial aspect reacts relatively fast. If the government did this, the bidding process would take months.

ChumpDumper
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Me too. At least the commercial aspect reacts relatively fast. If the government did this, the bidding process would take months.Yes, because the government never gives out no-bid contracts.

Tell me who else builds these machines that could make a competing bid.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, because the government never gives out no-bid contracts.

LOL...

The government currently the House, senate, and executive under democrat control. the primary complainers about No Bid contracts. I would love to see them act hypocritical once again.

boutons_deux
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
How many barrels of BP-oil-polluted water in the Gulf? :lol

ChumpDumper
06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
LOL...

The government currently the House, senate, and executive under democrat control. the primary complainers about No Bid contracts. I would love to see them act hypocritical once again.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Who else could do what Halliburton was capable of when they got their no-bid contracts?

ChumpDumper
06-15-2010, 02:10 PM

SnakeBoy
06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
He found it difficult to find any interest in the company's products, until BP placed an order for several of the company's devices in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

And now we know who sabotaged the Deepwater Horizon. Costner's a fucking terrorist.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Kevin Costner must be a no-good liberal! He started a company that cares about the environment!

Drachen
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Kevin Costner must be a no-good liberal! He started a company that cares about the environment!

Ready for your head to explode? He bought it from the government!

DarrinS
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Seems to be based on sound principles

http://www.cincmfg.com/How_our_Centrifuges_Work_s/108.htm

Seems like it would work well on surface or near-surface oil, but I don't see how it would work with deep plumes.
Might as well give it a try. Don't they have any harmless microorganisms that would eat that shit?

DarrinS
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM

And he has investors. Do you think they want any <gasp> profit?

Mind you, I hope his company makes big bucks if it works. I don't think profit is evil.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
And he has investors. Do you think they want any <gasp> profit?

Mind you, I hope his company makes big bucks if it works. I don't think profit is evil.

I'm hoping he makes profits too, and these machines work.

z0sa
06-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Waterworld rules!

Not sure I'd drink water with 0.1% crude, tho.

Hopefully you won't have to drink sea water at any point.

RandomGuy
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Hopefully you won't have to drink sea water at any point.

Eat some swordfish or tuna at some point.

You will be eating what is in seawater.

Funny thing about that is the amount of mercury from coal power gets concentrated as you move up the aquatic food chain.

They had a guy who ate nothing but fish for a month in Japan and tested for mercury after a month with blood levels four to 5 times what is considered safe.

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
im rich biatches

z0sa
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Eat some swordfish or tuna at some point.

You will be eating what is in seawater.

Funny thing about that is the amount of mercury from coal power gets concentrated as you move up the aquatic food chain.

They had a guy who ate nothing but fish for a month in Japan and tested for mercury after a month with blood levels four to 5 times what is considered safe.

Eating sea water is okay. :lobt:

word
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
I saw this news bit about a company in Florida that had the machine to fix this problem, or at least, do a lot of good.

The costner thing is a public relations ploy. No more, no less. Here's your money, now move along and STFU.

It's like the hay solution to soak up oil. There isn't enough hay. Every horse on the planet would starve. Like corn as energy. There isn't enough of it, there isn't enough land to grow enough to fuel us, and we'd starve trying.

It's about BTU's. Crunch the numbers.

Blake
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I saw this news bit about a company in Florida that had the machine to fix this problem, or at least, do a lot of good.

The costner thing is a public relations ploy. No more, no less. Here's your money, now move along and STFU.

It's like the hay solution to soak up oil. There isn't enough hay. Every horse on the planet would starve. Like corn as energy. There isn't enough of it, there isn't enough land to grow enough to fuel us, and we'd starve trying.

It's about BTU's. Crunch the numbers.

I don't think the Costner thing is simply a pr stunt. I think it's a start.

There are others trying to throw out their ideas as well:

Texas Tech's Fibertect Absorbent Can Clean Gulf Oil Spill’s Crude, Hold Toxic Oil and Mustard Vapors

June 15, 2010 (PhysOrg.com) -- As workers battle the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and officials attempt to decontaminate a clam boat that dredged up old munitions containing mustard gas, a Texas Tech University researcher said his product Fibertect can handle both dirty jobs.

Seshadri Ramkumar, an associate professor of nonwoven technologies, said the Texas Tech-created nonwoven cotton carbon absorbent wipe can clean up crude oil and adsorb toxic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon vapors reportedly sickening oil spill clean-up crew members.

Also, Fibertect has been tested to successfully remediate mustard vapors such as those found from dumped munitions discovered this week by the crew members aboard the clamming boat off the coast of Long Island.

“Last week, Fibertect was approved for use as a sorbent by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,” Ramkumar said. “It definitely has applications for cleaning up the oil spill or this clam boat. Our wipe material is unique from any others in that it easily absorbs liquids, and it has vapor-holding capacity. No product to my knowledge has the capacity to do both.”

A recent report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration detected low levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons associated with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Ramkumar said. Also, such compounds were found at a depth of 400 meters, showing they have not evaporated.

Fibertect already has proven that it can also adsorb toxic fumes associated with chemical remediation, he said. Evaluation by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory found that it can retain offgassing mustard vapors efficiently and does not shed loose particles.

Originally developed to protect the U.S. military from chemical and biological warfare agents, Fibertect® contains a fibrous activated carbon center that is sandwiched between layers.

The top and bottom layers, made from raw cotton, can absorb oil while the center layer holds volatile compounds such as the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or blistering agents such as mustard vapors or other toxic chemicals.

Ramkumar said his latest research shows raw cotton-carbon Fibertect can absorb oil up to 15 times its weight. Unlike synthetic materials like polypropylene that are currently used in many oil containment booms, Fibertect made from raw cotton and carbon is environmentally friendly. It is available commercially in multiple forms by First Line Technology.

“Fibertect already has proven to be effective in the bulk decontamination of chemical warfare agents and toxic industrial chemicals, but our proposal here is to use it to aid in the clean-up efforts in the Gulf,” said Amit Kapoor, president of First Line Technology “Fibertect allows for a green, environmentally safe, biodegradable technology that is perfect for the expanding effort to protect and decontaminate coastal lands and wildlife. We welcome the opportunity to work with the government, BP or anyone else in a joint effort to defend and preserve our planet.”

Provided by Texas Tech University

admiralsnackbar
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL...

C'mon, WC -- aren't there better things to do than work yourself up into a partisan lather over nothing?

If you recall, the reason no-bids got a bad name under Bush wasn't just because they were no-bids, but because they were awarded to the company Cheney was CEO of for several years (be it Haliburton, or KBR). The kids call it "conflict of interest."

Anyway, interesting share from the resident Red Raider. Hope one or all of these technologies can help at least somewhat.

CavsSuperFan
06-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Good for Kevin Coster …You just know that after watching “Dances with Wolves” that Coster cares about the environment… Washington needs to step aside & just let Hollywood fix the problems in the U.S. :tu

Fabbs
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Why is it 50+ days after the spill this is just now being considered? :downspin:

admiralsnackbar
06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Why is it 50+ days after the spill this is just now being considered? :downspin:
No shit, brother... especially when petro-chem companies have had decades to work on the problem, and a viable solution would save them a fortune.

But the recurring theme with energy companies this year has been that short-term profits and high-risk operations apparently outweigh long-term profits and big-picture sustainability.

Wild Cobra
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
If you recall, the reason no-bids got a bad name under Bush wasn't just because they were no-bids, but because they were awarded to the company Cheney was CEO of for several years (be it Haliburton, or KBR). The kids call it "conflict of interest."

Good. You admit the democrats were playing bitter partisan politics rather than having real merit.

admiralsnackbar
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Good. You admit the democrats were playing bitter partisan politics rather than having real merit.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/Hooked-on-Phonics-The-P-Song-Pre-K-.jpg