PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Not Happy With ABC's Lack of Discretion Regarding His Comments

duncan228
06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Phil Jackson Not Happy With ABC's Lack of Discretion Regarding His Comments (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/15/phil-jackson-not-happy-with-abcs-lack-of-discretion-regarding-h/)
By Chris Tomasson

Phil Jackson rarely has backed off anything he has said, and he didn't this time. Still, he was surprised the entire nation heard something he told his team late in Sunday's Game 5 of the Finals.

With the Celtics leading, the Lakers' coach sought to motivate his team by saying that Boston "loses more games in the fourth quarter than any team in the league. They know how to lose games, and they're showing us that now.''

As it turned out, Boston won, 92-86. And Jackson wasn't enthralled his comments were broadcast nationally on ABC, which airs snippets from team huddles but uses discretion on what to show.

"I was surprised it was broadcast, too,'' Jackson said after Tuesday morning's shootaround in preparation for the evening Game 6 at the Staples Center. "But I was just quoting a stat that given to me by my scouts, and was giving the guys encouragement to finish the game out.''

Jackson didn't believe the remark would fire up the Celtics.

"Do they need any more motivation than this?'' asked Jackson, whose team trails 3-2. "The Finals are enough motivation.''

USA Today contacted STATS, which used statistics to dispute what Jackson said. The Celtics lost 13 times in the regular season when they led in the fourth quarter, which was said to not even rank in the top 10 and was 10 behind Washington's NBA-leading total.

"What's the difference?'' Jackson said when asked if he had hoped his remark would have remained private. "If what I had given was true, it's true. And they were having a hard time scoring.''

After Game 5, Paul Pierce shrugged off Jackson's remark about the Celtics having lost late leads.

"You know, he's right,'' Pierce cracked. "That's been the truth for us throughout the regular season.''

Maybe it wasn't. But Pierce mostly was glad the Celtics didn't blow the lead Sunday.

Fpoonsie
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
:lol

One of the game's most outspoken snide comment-makers is irked by one of his comments going public.

This day is just FULL of delicious irony.

Fpoonsie
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
goddamn dp.

LnGrrrR
06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Bwahahahah. PJ made his bed, now he'll have to lie in it.

lefty
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Platinumgamer164/outtathisthread.gif

TIMMYD!
06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
When does he ever shut up?

crc21209
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Soo he's scared huh? :lol

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
there's a reasom pop don't let those guys in hislocker room

Pero
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
there's a reasom pop don't let those guys in hislocker room

That wasn't in the locker room. He said it during a time out.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
:lol

One of the game's most outspoken snide comment-makers is irked by one of his comments going public.

This day is just FULL of delicious irony.

I'll defend Phil on this one.

He should be able to tell his team sensitive things during timeouts without worrying about it being disseminated.

I am certain there is a policy in place that prevents the obviously sensitive things like play calls, assignments, etc. being broadcast. What he said probably falls into a gray area and ABC made a call and broadcast it. Phil obviously disagreed with it and I don't really blame him.

BTW what he said was dead on, Boston did give up a ton of 4th quarter leads this year. Lots of meltdowns, though they have had few in the POs.

Killakobe81
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Some of the blame for this series IF we lose ... falls on him.

Odom is 2nd

Pau is 3rd

And Kobe will get his share as well ....

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
That wasn't in the locker room. He said it during a time out.

no shit, pop wouldn't say something like that cause it's not his coaching style to highlight the other team's failings. I was referring to the media's lack of discresion.

Mr. Body
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm surprised one of the inane, disrespectful, small-minded, petty things he is constantly saying finally came back to hurt him. He is one of the secret assholes in all of sports.

stretch
06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I'll defend Phil on this one.

of course you would, lakerfan

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
no shit, pop wouldn't say something like that cause it's not his coaching style to highlight the other team's failings. I was referring to the media's lack of discresion.

Pop is a cocksucking asshole just like Phil, Train. He's just your cocksucking asshole.

Ghazi
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
He was pretty much just pointing out a regular season stat. Celtics would've won 60+ this year if they weren't so bad at securing leads in the regular season.

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Pop is a cocksucking asshole just like Phil, Train. He's just your cocksucking asshole.

once again cully you assume too much, I'm on phils side here abc shouldn't have shown that. But never during a game has pop attacked another team's failings to make his team work.

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 05:37 PM
once again cully you assume too much, I'm on phils side here abc shouldn't have shown that. But never during a game has pop attacked another team's failings to make his team work.

Horseshit. Pop has done exactly that. HTF do you think he got 3 1/2 rings, by doing good?

Your shit stinks, Train, just like everybody elses.

DPG21920
06-15-2010, 05:50 PM
:cry <=================== Phil

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
DPG, gettin' his San Antonio Celtics garb on.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM

This is one of the silliest assertions I have ever seen.

Any coach who fails to attack his opponents' weaknesses -- tactically, strategically, verbally -- is a poor coach. By definition, that is one of his main tasks.

Do you actually have a problem with what PJ said here? My, it seems some people have caught a case vapors in this thread.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
of course you would, lakerfan

Yeah, what a homer I am, agreeing with a Spurfan just today that Kobe's defense in Game 5 stunk up the joint.

I forgive you for missing the finer distinctions of grown folks having a reasonable discussion.

Capt Bringdown
06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
He is one of the secret assholes in all of sports.

Secret?
One thing I've never liked about PJ, MJ & Kobe is that they're seem by some to validate the notion that you have to be an arrogant asshole in order to excel.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Secret?
One thing I've never liked about PJ, MJ & Kobe is that they're seem by some to validate the notion that you have to be an arrogant asshole in order to excel.

I agree with this. As a Laker fan, I love the results PJ and Kobe get, but not a fan of their attitudes. I will give Kobe credit, he has grown a lot in this area though. Phil, not so much.

Duncan is the perfect antithesis to this though. Hard to argue with four titles and always being an all-around good guy. Pop seems pretty condescending at times so I don't know if I'd include him in the "good guy" category.

Agloco
06-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Phil Jackson Not Happy With ABC's Lack of Discretion Regarding His Comments (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/15/phil-jackson-not-happy-with-abcs-lack-of-discretion-regarding-h/)
By Chris Tomasson

With the Celtics leading, the Lakers' coach sought to motivate his team by saying that Boston "loses more games in the fourth quarter than any team in the league. They know how to lose games, and they're showing us that now.''

:rolleyes

lol @ this butthurt asshat. Perhaps it's Jackson who should start exercising more discretion.

namlook
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Perhaps it's Jackson who should start exercising more discretion.

LOL at people saying Phil shouldn't have said what he did. Phil wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't pointing out a team's weaknesses to his own team.

da_suns_fan
06-15-2010, 11:14 PM
This is actually quite interesting. I always wondered if the coaches really just spit out stupid, vague crap or if thats the only thing theyre willing to show on TV.

I guess we have our answer. I wish ABC would show more candid stuff. Otherwise, why even bother with the stupid mic?

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
This is actually quite interesting. I always wondered if the coaches really just spit out stupid, vague crap or if thats the only thing theyre willing to show on TV.

I guess we have our answer. I wish ABC would show more candid stuff. Otherwise, why even bother with the stupid mic?

Exactly!

What have we heard most of the time?

"You've gotta keep moving the ball! Bigs, you gotta hit the boards hard! I want everyone back in transition defense! Look for good shots!"

Basically cliche stuff.

PJ finally gives a good, honest, insightful quote and everyone rips him for it.

Why?

Because he violated the unwritten rule, "never speak the truth about your opponent." Which is a subset of the greater rule about athletes/coaches, "always speak in the most banal cliches at most times."

Everyone complains that athletes don't give insightful answers, but then they rip them anytime they point out things that are obviously true... which is exactly what PJ did. So again, I don't blame Phil for being a little testy for having that aired.