PDA

View Full Version : 30 years for killing a young boy...

Clandestino
05-13-2005, 09:02 AM
he has killed 2 people already! this is bullshit. death is the only thing for this guy. no amount of counseling or whatever will help him.

A Beaumont man was sentenced to 60 years in prison Thursday in San Antonio for smothering his girlfriend's 6-year-old son and trying to cremate him in an oven.

Kenneth Pierott, 28, had faced a range of sentences from probation to life in prison after the jury of eight women and four men convicted him late Wednesday, rejecting his claim that he was insane at the time of the killing.

Pierott had no visible reaction to the sentence, but glanced quickly back at his family before he was put in handcuffs. Pierott will have to serve at least 30 years before being eligible for parole.

His trial was moved here because of the extensive media coverage in Beaumont.

Urestine Pierott, who had begged the jury to consider her son's mental illness, said the system ill-served him.

"I feel that they let Kenneth slip through the cracks because they knew what happened before," she said, referring to Kenneth Pierott's acquittal by reason of insanity for bludgeoning to death his disabled sister.

Kathy Odoms, the victim's mother and Pierott's ex-girlfriend, was satisfied.

"I just feel like justice was served and if he was to get out, I feel like it would have happened again."

Odoms said her son with Pierott, 3-year-old Jacory, is too young to understand the case.

"When it's time for me to talk to him, I will."

Raquel Galle, Pierott's attorney, said she wasn't surprised by the sentence. Defense attorneys had asked the jury to pick a sentence midway between probation and life in prison.

"He could have gotten life so I think they took that into consideration," she said. "I think they must have taken into consideration his mental illness."

Even if the jury had given Pierott a life sentence, he would be eligible for parole in 30 years, as he is with this sentence, noted prosecutor Ed Shettle.

"The jury did as much as the law can do to this defendant," he said.

Shettle noted that victim Tre-Devin Odoms' day in court "was a productive and successful day."

Both prosecution and defense lawyers warned jurors during testimony in the punishment phase that they could offer no guarantees Pierott would continue the medication that makes him mentally stable.

"While on medication he has generally done quite well; off medication that is not the case," said Dr. Ed Gripon, who testified earlier that Pierott was insane. "No one can guarantee anyone that someone will continue to take medication."

Gripon, who first examined Pierott in 1996 after he killed his sister, said Pierott has stopped taking his medication before because of unwanted side effects.

Pierott's father, Kenneth Pierott Sr., testified that off medication his son poses a danger to his family.

Pierott's lawyer, Thomas Burbank, told jurors Pierott is mentally ill, and needs both punishment and treatment. But he said he couldn't guarantee Pierott would stay on his medication.

Defense attorneys claimed Pierott sometimes thought he was God, believed others could read his mind and killed Tre-Devin to protect Jacory, who was 2 at the time.

Prosecutors, however, pointed out that Pierott waited until Kathy Odoms fell asleep before smothering her son in April 2004, killed him quietly and left the house when Odoms awoke and began looking for Tre-Devin.

Tre-Devin was found dead in the oven in his house. Pierott had tried to cremate him at the behest of voices in his head. He had turned the oven on but the pilot light wasn't lit so the oven didn't heat.

Jurors were not told of Pierott's acquittal in his sister's killing nor his assault on Kathy Odoms in March 2002, prosecutors said. Pierott also was arrested for forging a $500 check and received probation in 1999.