PDA

View Full Version : Tom Izzo rejects Cavaliers offer

fo'shizzle
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP)—Tom Izzo is staying at Michigan State, turning down a chance to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cle/;_ylt=AjebuYvtoygm3YPjQSZl_OGLvLYF) and perhaps LeBron James (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/;_ylt=AjtYjAdsYx0E1qRLmO.uu.CLvLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/news;_ylt=At_dPjCiUrnC5tmd6vS3BCSLvLYF).
In a statement released by the school on Tuesday Izzo says: “I’m pleased to say I am here for life at Michigan State.”

For the past nine days, Izzo has been trying to decide whether to leave the place that has been his home since 1983 and jump to the NBA to perhaps make $6 million—doubling his salary—and possibly coaching one of the best basketball players in the world.
The Spartans have scheduled an 8:30 p.m. ET press conference with Izzo, school president Lou Anna Simon and athletic director Mark Hollis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqk60kmmv5esxjIjCZgJFZ85nYcB?slug=ap-cavaliers-izzo

fo'shizzle
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
LBJ to teh Knicks!!!

silverblk mystix
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Wgaf

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
too bad. I wanted to see if he could be successful in the NBA.

Vertical
06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
ja Bron is a goner

Vinnie_Johnson
06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
too bad. I wanted to see if he could be successful in the NBA.

:lol

ffadicted
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Ain't nobody risking being stuck in cleveland without lebron. I give that franchise at max 3 years before its moved if LBJ goes

duncan228
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Byron Scott Becomes Top Option as Tom Izzo Rejects Cavs (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/15/byron-scott-becomes-top-option-as-tom-izzo-rejects-cavs/)
By Pat McManamon

Tom Izzo's decision to stay at Michigan State (http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/15/tom-izzo-reportedly-returns-to-michigan-state-spurns-cavaliers/) means that Byron Scott rises to the top of the list of preferred candidates for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

But given Phil Jackson's uncertain future and Scott's desire to stay in California, Izzo's decision also means the Cavs search could drag on for another two weeks -- and perhaps longer.

Compounding the situation is the same issue that led to Izzo saying no: Nobody knows the future of LeBron James. This easily could take the Cavs' coaching search past the start of free agency on July 1.

It's no secret that Scott would like to coach the Lakers (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/21/byron-scott-watches-waits-to-get-back-in-the-game/), the team he played for in the Magic Johnson era. But Jackson has said he will wait a week after the conclusion of the NBA Finals before deciding if he will coach again (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/10/jackson-will-decide-on-lakers-future-within-one-week-after-final/).

If Jackson stays, Scott then could consider the Clippers -- which is closer to his home. If Jackson leaves, Scott would like to be considered, though assistant coach Brian Shaw also will be a legitimate candidate.

That means the Cavs could have to wait for the Lakers, prolonging their coaching search past the NBA Draft. In addition, the future of Boston coach Doc Rivers is uncertain, and his departure could open up another job after the Finals.

The Cavs now must deal with the reality that its top choice, the guy they flew into town for a day of investigating and interviewing, said no.

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert was well aware that James' future would weigh on any potential coach, so he went for a big name from the college ranks, a guy he knew from Michigan State. Gilbert offered enough money to put Izzo among the highest-paid coaches in the league.

In the end, not even that was enough for Izzo.

This week, a story leaked that James was 100 percent behind Izzo.

It didn't take long for folks close to James to let it be known that story was not accurate, that James was not involving himself in any way in the Cavs coaching search. James also did not talk to Izzo.

One day after news broke that James would stay uninvolved, Izzo decided to stay at Michigan State -- a logical decision given the uncertain future of James and the high stature Izzo has with the Spartans.

Now it's possible the Cavs could keep James but won't have the coach they wanted because James did not talk to the coach.

Or they could be without James and Izzo.

Or they could hire Scott, and his championship experience as a player could entice James to stay.

From the beginning, Scott seemed like the most logical option -- an ex-player who might have credibility with James.

In his statement, Izzo thanked the Cavs, and said: "Just as I decided to stay home, I hope a 6-8, 270-pound forward in Cleveland decides to stay home."

ducks
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
no one wants james

duncan228
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Izzo: LeBron Wouldn't Take My Call (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/izzo-lebron-wouldnt-take-my-call/)
By Tom Ziller

When Tom Izzo publicly announced his decision to stay at Michigan State, the NBA buzz around both the coach and the Cavaliers died. But as is often the case with these cloak-and-dagger stories, the details coming out afterward are often more interesting than anything that happened over the course of the narrative crescendo.

Yahoo!'s Dan Wetzel paraphrases Izzo as saying post-announcement that while the Spartan coach did speak to members of LeBron James' inner circle during the course of negotiations, Izzo never got King James himself on the phone (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-izzostays061510) ... despite trying to do so.

That shows exactly how close to the vest LeBron is playing this free agency opportunity. You have one of the greatest coaches in this era of college basketball, a man your incumbent team's owner has practically begged for, trying to get you on the phone. And you don't take it, because you don't want to get involved in the team's increasingly embarrassing coaching search, or because you don't want to face questions about your future, or because you're too busy.

It makes perfect sense. LeBron has basically become a politician, and politicians try to distance themselves from disasters, unless they can solve them. The only way LeBron could have solved Situation Izzo was by committing to the Cavs for the future, and, well, as all politicians learn, you can't make promises you won't fulfill.

But, as with almost everything else these days, this still makes LeBron look bad, especially to a certain population set which worships college coaches like Izzo. I see the word "punk" being used, as well as "self-centered" and "spoiled brat." None of that is fair -- everything about LeBron's free agency has been calculated (and practically focus-group tested). Why should he spoil that to chat with a college coach he may never play for? But the optics of this continue the slide of LeBron's reputation.

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Lebron is as good as gone

JoeTait75
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Lebron is as good as gone

He is. It's great that he isn't wrecking this franchise on his way out the door. I for one really appreciate the fact that he isn't being a selfish, avaricious bitch.

And yes, I am butt-hurt. Very much so.

Pero
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
But, as with almost everything else these days, this still makes LeBron look bad, especially to a certain population set which worships college coaches like Izzo. I see the word "punk" being used, as well as "self-centered" and "spoiled brat."

Politician is just a good a word as any for James. A word which might as well be an insult.

Muser
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Love how James thinks he is too big to take a call from one of the greatest college basketball coaches.

JoeTait75
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Love how James thinks he is too big to take a call from one of the greatest college basketball coaches.

I think only Coach K is ahead of Izzo. Remarkable what he's done @ Michigan State. Would have loved to see the Cavaliers land him.

You all watch: the national media will sweep this last month under the carpet the first night LeBron goes for 35-10-10 in whatever uniform he's wearing. They'll be right back on his nutsack.

toki9
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
The guy's been called "King" by just about everyone and been anointed the "Chosen 1" by Sports Illustrated while still in high school...no surprises about his behavior...

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
He is. It's great that he isn't wrecking this franchise on his way out the door. I for one really appreciate the fact that he isn't being a selfish, avaricious bitch.

And yes, I am butt-hurt. Very much so.

Feel for ya Joe.

I am just speculating. What do I know?
For all we know he stays.

And to think that just a couple of tweeks here and there to their roster is all they need to get back to the finals.

JoeTait75
06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I am just speculating. What do I know?
For all we know he stays.

It's getting to the point where he can't come back. He'd doing too much damage here.

MavDynasty
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
lebrons a fucking douche but all is good. will be beautiful to see him and dirk raising the LOB

toki9
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
It's getting to the point where he can't come back. He'd doing too much damage here.

Have the fans in Cleveland grown sick of his "indecision"? What's the general feel/mood there?

Edward
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah Izzo I think woulda been successful in the NBA, by far the best technical, x's and o's coach in college. He puts final four contenders together every year while struggling to get marquee recruits. You give him the talent Calipari gets every year and that team is scary good.

JoeTait75
06-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Have the fans in Cleveland grown sick of his "indecision"? What's the general feel/mood there?

Most of the real Cavaliers fans are sick of his BS but want him to stay because they're sure it'll be right back to Ricky Davis and DaJuan Wagner if he goes- that is until about 2016 when they become the new Seattle SuperSonics.

A few of the real Cavaliers fans are sick of his BS, want him gone and don't think it'll be the end of the world if he goes. I'm in that group.

The LeBron nut-huggers who aren't really Cavaliers fans are, well, hugging his nuts as usual.

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Probably so Joe, but he's still Lebron James.
I say you do all you can to keep him but if he does indeed split from the program, just build her up again. If he does leave, Clevelands last laugh may lie in him not getting a LOB anytime soon. He'll get one but if he hasn't figured the intangible called "willing" your team to win and at 25 years old, he never will.

BTW Joe, who do you have for tonights game? I like your takes and am curious.

JoeTait75
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
BTW Joe, who do you have for tonights game? I like your takes and am curious.

Lake Show. They're at home and Boston doesn't have my boi Perk.

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Lake Show. They're at home and Boston doesn't have my boi Perk.

:tu

You think Beantown melts down or this baby going all the way to the last minute? You think L.A. maintains that fortitude from game 6?

Edward
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I'd love to see Lebron and Bosh go to New York with Mike D'antoni so the media could jizz themselves over a jump shot orgy that wins 65 games in the regular season and then falls apart in the playoffs.

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I'd love to see Lebron and Bosh go to New York with Mike D'antoni so the media could jizz themselves over a jump shot orgy that wins 65 games in the regular season and then falls apart in the playoffs.

Yeah, that woule be hilarious

Edward
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
[/b]

Yeah, that woule be hilarious

Particularly because people would rave about how Bosh is the #2 option Lebron's been needing his entire career, and imo Bosh isn't much better than Antwan Jamison.

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Particularly because people would rave about how Bosh is the #2 option Lebron's been needing his entire career, and imo Bosh isn't much better than Antwan Jamison.

Why do you think I am not a big fan of L.A. trading Drew for Bosh.

Edward
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Why do you think I am not a big fan of L.A. trading Drew for Bosh.

Because you know how overrated Bosh is :lol

There's a reason Toronto fans aren't really making an effort to show they want Bosh to stay. I've seen a few Toronto message boards, and most of their fans have the attitude, "OK, we know, we're the Raptors and you don't wanna stay. Cut the bullshit out and leave already, we really don't give a shit where your soft ass ends up."

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Because you know how overrated Bosh is :lol

There's a reason Toronto fans aren't really making an effort to show they want Bosh to stay. I've seen a few Toronto message boards, and most of their fans have the attitude, "OK, we know, we're the Raptors and you don't wanna stay. Cut the bullshit out and leave already, we really don't give a shit where your soft ass ends up."

You mean toronto is not throwing "please stay Chris" parties? :lol

duncan228
06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Cavs reach out to Paul, Kidd about Scott (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-cavsscott061710)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

As Byron Scott establishes himself as the clear frontrunner for the Cleveland Cavaliers’ coaching vacancy, team executives have reached out to two of LeBron James’ friends – Chris Paul and Jason Kidd – to discuss their former coach.

Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant and assistant GM Lance Blanks made an initial round of calls to New Jersey Nets and New Orleans Hornets officials to research Scott shortly after the firing of Mike Brown, but are now digging deeper as they inch closer to making him a formal offer.

The Cavs also had every one of the Nets’ 2002 and ’03 playoff games, including the Finals, sent to them for review, a source said.

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo was the No. 1 choice of owner Dan Gilbert, but Izzo’s belief that James won’t re-sign with the Cavaliers was mostly responsible for him turning down a $30 million package.

Scott had a combative history with Kidd while he coached the Nets, and ultimately Kidd played a part in the coach’s 2004 dismissal one season after the team made consecutive trips to the NBA Finals. Kidd had issues with Scott’s preparation, but never had a personal problem with him. Still, it seemed doubtful Kidd would blast Scott to Blanks, who was making those calls.

As for Paul, he’s an immense supporter of Scott and never wanted him fired in New Orleans last season. Paul played his first four NBA seasons for Scott and remains close to him. Paul’s personal endorsement to James has gone a long way for Scott’s candidacy with the Cavaliers.

How quickly Scott would leap at a Cavaliers offer is still unclear, because he remains mostly interested in trying to get the Los Angeles Lakers job should Phil Jackson decide to retire after the Finals. Scott is a candidate for the Los Angeles Clippers job, too. Southern California is home for him, and he’s hesitant to jump at a Cavs offer without fully exploring the possibility of staying west.

The Franchise
06-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Smart man.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
nobody wants to coach this prima donna