PDA

View Full Version : Premature Ejaculation?

kamikazi_player
06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Man, I hate the Lakers, but this next game is going to be exciting. Lol at ppl counting the Lakers out (including me). I hope we see a better effort from the Celts in game 7 than right now.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Whoever counted the Lakers out for Game 6 deserves a big lol.

It was obvious to my grandma that the Lakers would win game 6.

duhoh
06-15-2010, 10:33 PM
no way LA loses at home Game 7.

PGDynasty24
Whoever counted the Lakers out for Game 6 deserves a big lol.

It was obvious to my grandma that the Lakers would win game 6.

you said they would win because of the refs? Not because lakers would dominate them. So I guess you deserve a big lol

4>0rings
*Perkins out clause

Capt Bringdown
06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
What little chance the Celtics had was obliterated with Perkin's injury, and I think the Celtics themselves know that. That's why they pretty much rolled over when Perkins went out.

I don't think it was intentional, but things like that do take a toll on the psyche. Hat's off to the Lakers, but the Celtics have no one but themselves (actually Ray Allen) to blame.
If he hadn't choked with the 0-fer the Celtics would be celebrating now instead of losing the title to the Lakers at Staples. That's gotta hurt.

bostonguy
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Celts are fucked. There is no way to bs around this one. This was the last thing that needed to happen. A game 7 at staples against a rejuvenated Lakers team. And the Perkins injury doesn't help matters.

namlook
06-15-2010, 10:47 PM
What little chance the Celtics had was obliterated with Perkin's injury, and I think the Celtics themselves know that. That's why they pretty much rolled over when Perkins went out.

The Celtics were getting crushed while Perkins was on the floor.

Capt Bringdown
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
The Celtics were getting crushed while Perkins was on the floor.
Wrong.
Perkins left at around the 6-7 minute mark of the first quarter. Lakers were only up 2 at that point.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Forget this game seven on the road nonsense. The Celtics would have been eminently capable of winning this game (look how good they've been on the road all season and consider that the two teams are close enough and before Perkin's injury the Celtics believed they could win, which is huge) had Perkins not been injured. Without him, they've got no shot.

More luck for the Lakers. Conveniently, Bynum, who's been hanging by a thread for weeks, he's still chugging along and on top of that, has anyone tried to finish him off? No, why would they? It would only eliminate the Lakers chances of winning a championship. It reminds me of Bryant's messed up finger two years ago, when not one player did a fucking thing to attempt to eliminate him. It's like the league sent out a memo: you touch him, we'll see too it that an inordinate amount of calls go against you and/or your team for the remainder of the season.

Think about it; why would you not attempt to finish these guys off? I'm not saying have a key player do something that's overly obvious, but there are instances where you can attempt to go for the kill so to speak and no one does it. I hate to sound like an old guy (because I'm not), but that never would have happened in the old days.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Forget this game seven on the road nonsense. The Celtics would have been eminently capable of winning this game (look how good they've been on the road all season and consider that the two teams are close enough and before Perkin's injury the Celtics believed they could win, which is huge) had Perkins not been injured. Without him, they've got no shot.

More luck for the Lakers. Conveniently, Bynum, who's been hanging by a thread for weeks, he's still chugging along and on top of that, has anyone tried to finish him off? No, why would they? It would only eliminate the Lakers chances of winning a championship. It reminds me of Bryant's messed up finger two years ago, when not one player did a fucking thing to attempt to eliminate him. It's like the league sent out a memo: you touch him, we'll see too it that an inordinate amount of calls go against you and/or your team for the remainder of the season.

Think about it; why would you not attempt to finish these guys off? I'm not saying have a key player do something that's overly obvious, but there are instances where you can attempt to go for the kill so to speak and no one does it. I hate to sound like an old guy (because I'm not), but that never would have happened in the old days.

Why anyone thinks "back when players would intentionally try to injure one another" = "the good old days" is beyond me.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM

I expect Game 7 to be much closer and don't agree with all y'all counting out Boston, Perk or no Perk. Remember, Bynum is no sure thing. I expect Boston to be better prepared to match LA's energy, too. They weren't ready for that tonight.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Why anyone thinks "back when players would intentionally try to injure one another" = "the good old days" is beyond me.

Maybe intentionally was overstating it, but if they knew the best player on the favorites to win the championship had a finger that was hanging by a thread, you better believe they'd have hacked down at the ball relentlessly every time he drove.

When I first heard about that injury, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until they play the Spurs, Bowen will come through", yet to my surprise, he, like the rest of the league, didn't. In fact, it was almost as if they went out of their way not to hit it. You think the early-mid 90s Knicks would have done that?

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Maybe intentionally was overstating it, but if they knew the best player on the favorites to win the championship had a finger that was hanging by a thread, you better believe they'd have hacked down at the ball relentlessly every time he drove.

When I first heard about that injury, I remember thinking, "I can't wait until they play the Spurs, Bowen will come through", yet to my surprise, he, like the rest of the league, didn't. In fact, it was almost as if they went out of their way not to hit it. You think the early-mid 90s Knicks would have done that?

I'm guessing the NBA is glad that the heyday of teams like the early-mid 90s Knicks is over and let the record show that team never did win it all with those tactics.

Again, to me the move away from dirty, intentionally injuring play is progress. These are the finest bball players in the world, with the superstars playing on nine-digit contracts. I hate injuries to begin with... intentional injuries are unconscionable.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
So now you're saying that players did intentionally injure other plays and play dirtier in the old days?

Anyway, I agree with you if a guy has no known injury or if it's just a random player on a random team. We're talking about the best player on the favorites, with an injury that, it's not like it was going to be career threatening or they'd have had to be overtly dirty/obvious to eliminate him. Take your Lakers bias out of it and think of it logically. Why would players not have intentionally hacked at that finger every time he drove? It makes too much sense not to.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
So now you're saying that players did intentionally injure other plays and play dirtier in the old days?

Anyway, I agree with you if a guy has no known injury or if it's just a random player on a random team. We're talking about the best player on the favorites, with an injury that, it's not like it was going to be career threatening or they'd have had to be overtly dirty/obvious to eliminate him. Take your Lakers bias out of it and think of it logically. Why would players not have intentionally hacked at that finger every time he drove? It makes too much sense not to.

I never disagreed that the NBA used to be dirtier and much more brutal. Fistfights were much more common and back then players would punch each other in the face and not even get ejected! Just a different game then.

My point is why is that the "Good old days"? A lot of people seem to pine for that as if that was somehow better. I just don't see it that way. Nothing wrong with physical play but IMO the institution of flagrant foul penalties, short leash on fighting, suspensions, etc. are good things as they've cleaned up the league.

As for my Lakers bias coloring my opinion on this, what exactly in my argument leads you to believe that has anything to do with it? I am against intentional injuries against any player. If a Laker were to intentionally go after KG's rehabbed knee, I'd be the first to say he'd deserve the suspension he'd have coming to him.

And I guess I don't see how players were somehow extra careful with Kobe, he's had his finger hacked plenty of times. Rolled ankles and sprained fingers are as common in bball as headbands. Can't avoid them, you just try to mitigate and live with them. He's better than almost anyone at doing that IMO.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:59 PM
I never said "the good old days". If you're going to quote me, get it right. I also never said that was better, I just said that was how it was done in the old days and now conveniently when it could have affected the player/team we know the league holds dearest to it's heart, it didn't and I'm wondering why.

You're clearly biased in the matter, which is why you're evading my question. Based on everything I'd said, why would players not have intentionally hacked at that finger every time he drove?

He has, really? Because I've watched this team play countless times since then (and before then) and I haven't seen it. If anything, it was as if there was a conscious effort not to hit that finger.

As, not even a Spurs fan, but an NBA fan, I'm just so sick and tired of everything going the Lakers way. Why can't they be the ones who have things go against them for once? Don't give me "Bynum missed the '08 playoffs". The reality is had he not went down, they may not have been handed Gasol. When he went down, the clinched Gasol for them. Which would you have preferred having for the '08 playoffs? Exactly.

Chillen
06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Not surprised that the Lakers came into game 6 with that kind of effort. The Celtics have to keep the game 7 in LA close, if it becomes a blow out like in game 6 I think that favors the Lakers at home. If the Celtics keep it close going into the final minutes in game 7 it could go either way. Without question the next game totally favors the Lakers, but the Celtics have 1 more shot at winning the 2010 NBA title in LA.

SomeCallMeTim
06-16-2010, 01:07 AM
I never said "the good old days". If you're going to quote me, get it right. I also never said that was better, I just said that was how it was done in the old days and now conveniently when it could have affected the player/team we know the league holds dearest to it's heart, it didn't and I'm wondering why.

You're clearly biased in the matter, which is why you're evading my question. Based on everything I'd said, why would players not have intentionally hacked at that finger every time he drove?

He has, really? Because I've watched this team play countless times since then (and before then) and I haven't seen it. If anything, it was as if there was a conscious effort not to hit that finger.

As, not even a Spurs fan, but an NBA fan, I'm just so sick and tired of everything going the Lakers way. Why can't they be the ones who have things go against them for once? Don't give me "Bynum missed the '08 playoffs". The reality is had he not went down, they may not have been handed Gasol. When he went down, the clinched Gasol for them. Which would you have preferred having for the '08 playoffs? Exactly.

I wasn't quoting you. Quotation marks have multiple purposes, one is a way to rhetorically express that something is dubious. Which is exactly what I mean when I type "the good old days."

I am biased as a Laker fan, but then pretty much everyone else here is a fan of their own team. I am aware of my bias but fail to see how me being consistent and not wishing injury on any player is indication of my bias.

Kobe has had that finger whacked many times, more than you or I have seen or even know. I reckon I've seen 98 percent of the Lakers games since 2008 and even I haven't seen all the times it got nailed. Why? Same reason we really don't know all players go through. It's impossible to know and see everything. We don't know everything they're being treated for. Given the bumps, bruises, and sprains I get from playing pickup ball on a regular basis, I cannot imagine how much these guys deal with playing on the pro level and its heightened level of speed, strength, and contact.

You make a statement in your last paragraph and within two sentences contradict yourself. "Everything going the Lakers' way" and "Bynum missed the '08 playoffs" are incompatible. I agree that, in the end, it worked out OK for the Lakers because of getting Gasol but it also significantly hurt their chances at a 2008 title. But that is still not "everything" and ignoring that as well as plenty of other things they've had to deal with is silly.

Look, it's not as if the Spurs haven't gotten their share of lucky breaks. Their titles can be traced directly to not just winning the lottery twice, but hitting the Powerball by getting the #1 pick in drafts where an obvious inner-circle HOF talent was available. Having the #1 pick in 97 was a heck of a lot different than having it in #1 when Kwame Brown was the booby prize (though Gasol was available in that draft he slipped to #3). I have no problem with this, the lottery system is as fair as it can be and I prefer it to MLB's way of doing things where the worst team automatically gets the #1 pick.

TD 21
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I didn't contradict myself. I said "don't give me that Bynum missed the '08 playoffs crap", because of what it led to, how did it not go the Lakers way, both short term and long term? It helped their chances at a '08 title because there's a chance that that trade doesn't go down if Bynum doesn't go down. I still think it would have, though.

Plenty of other things, such as what? Try getting me on a technicality all you want, but answer me this: are you really going to deny that the Lakers have benefited far more over the years than they've been hurt?

Predictably, you bring up the Spurs, but there's just one problem with that: we're not talking about the Spurs.