PDA

View Full Version : Perkins goes out, and Boston’s toughness follows

duncan228
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Updated.

Perkins goes out, and Boston’s toughness follows (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-celtics)
By Brian Mahoney

Kendrick Perkins went out and the Boston Celtics’ toughness went right along with him.

Perkins injured his right knee midway through the first quarter of Game 6 of the NBA finals on Tuesday night, and the Los Angeles Lakers capitalized by controlling the paint and the backboards after he left.

Los Angeles won 89-67 to force a Game 7 on Thursday night, and the Celtics will spend all the time they have until then hoping their starting center will be available.

Because without him, they were the weaker team, outrebounded 52-39 and getting outscored by more than a 2-to-1 difference on second-chance points.

“He’s one of our guys that I think gives us great spirit, gives us a lot of toughness and gives us size,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “You know, I hope he can play. It would be tough if he can’t. Somebody else is just going to have to step forward.”

Rivers said he didn’t know if Perkins would be available, but said “it doesn’t look good.”

Perkins lacks the importance of Boston’s Big Three or fellow starter Rajon Rondo, who has been perhaps the Celtics’ best player during their unlikely run to the NBA finals.

But he is crucial to the Celtics’ defensive schemes because he is solid enough to play his man 1-on-1, as Boston had him do against Orlando All-Star Dwight Howard in the last round, and a good help defender and rebounder.

“Perk is our enforcer,” Rondo said. “He’s our biggest body we have to throw out there on (Andrew) Bynum. He clears the paint up for us. He does a lot of intangibles. He’s a great shot blocker, rebounder, and he’s the anchor of our defense.”

That’s become even more important this season because Kevin Garnett can’t do the things he did two years ago, when he was the Defensive Player of the Year and the quarterback of Boston’s defense.

Perkins was going for a rebound when he was fouled by Bynum with 5:30 remaining in the first quarter. He quickly fell to the floor and remained there for a few minutes before a pair of teammates slowly helped him to the back for X-rays, which revealed a sprain.

The Lakers led by six when Perkins went out and easily added to their advantage, fearlessly attacking the rim for powerful dunks from the likes of Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar without a big body there to stop them—or make them pay for their audacity.

“He’s a guy that cleans the paint up, let’s say, and not having him there made the Lakers awful long,” Rivers said.

The Celtics have other big men, but starting Rasheed Wallace or Glen Davis weakens a bench that played such a key role in their Game 4 victory. Whatever situations they use Wallace in, he will have to be better than he was Tuesday, when he missed all seven shots and was 0 for 6 from 3-point range.

The fiery Perkins came into the finals with six technical fouls during the postseason, one away from an automatic suspension. So the Celtics have faced the fear all series of potentially being without their center at some point.

They might have to go without him Thursday in the game that will determine their season.

They will have to be better and tougher than they were Tuesday.

“You hate to see anybody, if it was this team or the other team. But we have to do this for him,” Ray Allen said. “We have to push forward, and there are guys that are on the bench that can step up and make the plays that Perk is capable, or that Perk has made over the course of our time here.”

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
-"Easy come, easy go."

- "Ralph Kramden" - "The Honeymooners"

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Perkins out affects Garnett the most. Watch his body language when Perkins is in compared to when he's out. Generally, it's night and day. It's one thing to not have Perkins play or play effectively, but they can't have it affect Garnett as well. In fact, they need Garnett to go up another notch.

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Perkins out affects Garnett the most. Watch his body language when Perkins is in compared to when he's out. Generally, it's night and day. It's one thing to not have Perkins play or play effectively, but we can't have it affect Garnett as well. In fact, we need Garnett to go up another notch. I'm a turncoat and I swallow.

There ya are, pinhead.

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Perkins out affects Garnett the most. Watch his body language when Perkins is in compared to when he's out. Generally, it's night and day. It's one thing to not have Perkins play or play effectively, but they can't have it affect Garnett as well. In fact, they need Garnett to go up another notch.

It's more than just psychological, it's position. Perkins is a force under the basket defensively... Sheed and Big Baby, not so much. Perk out forces KG to be more of an under-the-rim intimidator. Not that he is bad at that, but he is better suited as a defender roaming and using his quickness and length rather than trying to bang around defensively.

Perkins being out is huge, but it's not game over for Boston, either.

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:30 PM
It's definitely game over. As Van Gundy said (during one of the brief moments when he wasn't defending/ass kissing Bryant), they need all four of their bigs because they do it by committee.

I understand that it's partially position, but a lot of it is psychological. Point blank, Garnett doesn't feel comfortable being the biggest guy on the floor for his team. I'm not talking height-wise, I mean height and mass. When Perkins is in, there's no question that he's the center. When it's Wallace or in particular Davis, they're both power forwards and Garnett knows it and he knows he has to take on more center duties, which he's not comfortable doing, not even for a stretch, despite the fact that he's a legit 7-0 (disregard the 6-11 listing).

Giuseppe
06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
TD, cryin' the blues over his San Antonio Celtics.

ha, ha.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
I expect Perkins to play in game 7

are there reports of serious damage? because it didnt look serious in the game

TD 21
06-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Word is he plans to give it a go. But this is a guy with limited mobility who was slow and awkward looking getting up and down when he was healthy. Just think how limited his mobility will be now. I can't see him being able to give them anything positive and it wouldn't surprise me if they pull the plug early. Maybe they give him a second look at some point, but whether he plays or not, basically they're going to have to win the game without him and I think that's too much to ask. This is game seven, they're not going to get a Lakers team that takes them lightly with the championship at stake.

MiamiHeat
06-15-2010, 11:44 PM
it didnt look serious

he should be fine. celtics will play psychological warfare right now and fuck with laker minds.

Vertical
06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Just a sprain...no biggie

SomeCallMeTim
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
it didnt look serious

he should be fine. celtics will play psychological warfare right now and fuck with laker minds.

Willis Reed redux?

Dim Tuncan
06-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Complete tear of the ACL.

That he wasn't screaming in pain or even grimacing tells me all I need to know. People who have torn ligaments will tell you they heard a pop, felt the joint give way, and felt no pain. He will be out for a very long time, and I doubt he plays professionally again.

duncan228
06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
The first post is updated with quotes.

DJ Mbenga
06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
they were getting raped on the boards when he was still in. its all up to the MRI for his season

milkshakeballa
06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
The first post is updated with quotes.

Good job. You were really struggling these past few weeks 228 but the past few days have been refreshing.

Finally nice to have the 228 back from when I first joined the board.

:toast

Giuseppe
06-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Good job. You were really struggling these past few weeks 228 but the past few days have been refreshing.

Finally nice to have the 228 back from when I first joined the board.

:toast

Yes, Milky is right on here: 228 is more human, more girlish, kind of cute.

milkshakeballa
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Yes, Milky is right on here: 228 is more human, more girlish, kind of cute.

Spot on as always Culby.

Ready for Thursday?

Make no mistake...
A war is coming...
With all its horror...

And all its glory.

Giuseppe
06-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Spot on as always Culby.

Ready for Thursday?

Make no mistake...
A war is coming...
With all its horror...

And all its glory.

I don't think I can take the stress, Milky. I'm about at my wit's end. I thought for sure we were going to lose tonite. Felt like we hadn't won in a month, now you're promising "war" and "horror."

I want this to be over.

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't think I can take the stress, Milky. I'm about at my wit's end. I thought for sure we were going to lose tonite. Felt like we hadn't won in a month, now you're promising "war" and "horror."

I want this to be over.

I was a bit nervous ...but I called Lakers in 7 from Game 1 and now it's almost here ...

Dim Tuncan
06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Per WEEI Boston, Perkins has a severe PCL strain and is extremely doubtful for game 7 (and probably to every play basketball again) :lol

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!:downspin:

Capt Bringdown
06-16-2010, 01:13 AM
What a shame, the Celtics look like they could've pulled off something huge. Yay, we get to see PJ and Kobe win another title.

I guess Ray Allen's got a lot to think about this offseason, f'n choker.