PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 extending invite to Utah to form Pac-12

tlongII
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/15/10/FONT-COLORFF0000EXCLUSIVEfont-Pac-10-to-/landing.html?blockID=254335&feedID=2478

The Pacific-10 Conference will extend an invitation to the University of Utah to become the league's 12th team, Comcast SportsNet has learned exclusively from sources close to the situation.

A press conference is expected to formalize the announcement on Wednesday.

Utah is currently a member of the Mountain West Conference. The Utes went 10-3 overall and 6-2 in conference last season and went on to beat Cal in the Poinsettia Bowl 37-27.

49ers quarterback Alex Smith starred at the University of Utah before San Francisco drafted him No. 1 overall in 2005.

The college football landscape has been shifting dramatically, with Colorado leaving the Big 12 to join the Pac-10 last week. There had been speculation that Big 12 powerhouse Texas would follow Colorado to the Pac-10 but the Longhorns officially announced Tuesday they would not be making the move.

The last time the Pac-10 added two new members was 1978, when Arizona and Arizona state joined the conference.

Back in February Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott announced that the conference was looking into expansion. Scott received official approval from Pac-10 university presidents and chancellors to explore adding new teams on June 6.

tlongII
06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Adding the Denver and SLC markets to the conference should allow the Pac-10 to negotiate a substantially better TV contract. Still wish Texas would have come though...

fyatuk
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
So after all that ruckus, they should end up with the 2 schools that were originally speculated they would add....

Blake
06-16-2010, 10:12 AM
the only reason I can see for this move is to simply have 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

If they don't do a title game, then this move makes little sense, imo.

They could keep it at 11 teams and hold out in the future still for the Big XII south teams.... including A&M.

DesignatedT
06-16-2010, 12:50 PM
as expected.

Trainwreck2100
06-16-2010, 01:04 PM
the only reason I can see for this move is to simply have 12 teams to have a conference championship game.

If they don't do a title game, then this move makes little sense, imo.

They could keep it at 11 teams and hold out in the future still for the Big XII south teams.... including A&M.

Doubtful, if the big 12 schools went to them they wouldn't have added a title game and that was with 16 teams. Why risk a NCG bid with a title game.

tsb2000
06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Nothing is official yet from either end. Both sides debunked that report last night. I'm waiting very anxiously for this. :) The champagne is on ice, but no corks get to pop yet!

vander
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Stay Utah, Stay!

the MWC should become a BCS conference, and you'll have a chance to win in the MWC

MannyIsGod
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Sucks for the MWC. Just add Boise State then this happens so they basically gain no ground.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
So would there be divisions from this and if so, what would they be? Geographically the only option that makes some sense is a North division with Wash, Wash St., Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and OSU, with a South division of Utah, Colorado, ASU, UA, USC and UCLA. I'd be more than happy with that.

Blake
06-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Doubtful, if the big 12 schools went to them they wouldn't have added a title game and that was with 16 teams. Why risk a NCG bid with a title game.

exactly......which means adding Utah makes no sense, imo.

tsb2000
06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Press conference is tomorrow! Woo-hoo!

Link to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5293329)

JMarkJohns
06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
So would there be divisions from this and if so, what would they be? Geographically the only option that makes some sense is a North division with Wash, Wash St., Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and OSU, with a South division of Utah, Colorado, ASU, UA, USC and UCLA. I'd be more than happy with that.

This what's been reported as likely. I too am very happy with this, both for football and basketball. Keep the LA market, which is huge for basketball, and get to extend into the midwest for football with Colorado.

vander
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
have fun playing for .500 Utah :toast

Blake
06-16-2010, 07:42 PM

for more money and exposure on TV versus bigger, better opponents :toast

jealousy is funny

MannyIsGod
06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
The Pac 10's biggest mistake was adding Colorado. They thought they had Texas in the bag so they brought CU aboard and then were forced to make this invite. Expanding to gain Utah and Colorado doesn't make much sense if you ask me. They jumped the pooch and ended up worse off than before.

vander
06-16-2010, 08:13 PM
for more money and exposure on TV versus bigger, better opponents :toast

jealousy is funny

MWC was on the rise, and even with this setback, it should eventually get an automatic bid.

Utah would have had a better chance at the NCG in the MWC than the Pac 12; I guarantee they will not see a BCS bowl game as long as they are in the Pac 12, whereas they would probably go to more than one over the same time period from the MWC, even without an automatic bid, a one loss MWC team (with Utah) would undoubtedly be in the top 14 and get into a BCS bowl.

they've sold about 4 wins per year for what? what's protected revenue increase for Utah, 5 mill? 8?

JMarkJohns
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
They were always going to invite Colorado for the Denver market. It extends their recruiting into the midwest regions more, and Denver's market is bigger than most of the other "equal/better" options. Utah makes a ton of sense for basketball and football and has a growing market as well. Lastly, the additions allow them to add a Title game (more revenue).

It's not their ideal, to be sure, but this is a quality expansion. Good markets, and solid programs in the two main sports.

vander
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
The Pac 10's biggest mistake was adding Colorado. They thought they had Texas in the bag so they brought CU aboard and then were forced to make this invite. Expanding to gain Utah and Colorado doesn't make much sense if you ask me. They jumped the pooch and ended up worse off than before.

word, Texas and OU get to share their revenue with 2 fewer teams, while LA has to share it's revenue with 2 more, meanwhile the abysmal LA and Cali economy should start to take it's toll on CFB too

Pac 12 falling

Goran Dragic
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
This what's been reported as likely. I too am very happy with this, both for football and basketball. Keep the LA market, which is huge for basketball, and get to extend into the midwest for football with Colorado.

Yup exactly. They keep every connection they have while they add a little bit. Great scenario in my book.

tsb2000
06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello- PAC-10? Allow us to introduce ourselves. We're the University of Utah. We're your new daddies!

tsb2000
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Drunk, or just bitter? Have fun playing the zoobs.

Will Hunting
06-17-2010, 12:19 AM
lol Boise State fuckstick is pissed

Ignignokt
06-17-2010, 12:32 AM

Bullshit. The Pac 10 wanted Texas but invited CU first because they've been in contact with CU the longest. That was their original plan. The Texas thing was only discussed until this spring. Colorado was already in plans for expansion. And the PAC didn't want to let UT have it's Bevo network and unequal revenue distribution. UT made the Demands, might have even wanted to strong arm Baylor, but they said fuck you, Colorado is IN mufukas.

Girasuck
06-17-2010, 07:47 PM

HAHAHA!! Bitter are we?

Utah has only lost to the Pac-10 3 times over the past 6 years. You act as if our recruiting will stay the same even though we'll be in a bigger conference. Reeks of bitterness.

vander
06-17-2010, 11:33 PM
HAHAHA!! Bitter are we?

Utah has only lost to the Pac-10 3 times over the past 6 years. You act as if our recruiting will stay the same even though we'll be in a bigger conference. Reeks of bitterness.

you don't really think Utah will contend in then Pac 12 do you? :lol you're in for a rude awakening...

tlongII
06-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I want to personally welcome both Utah and Colorado to the league. You will find that virtually every game is a dogfight. Let's have some fun! :tu

JMarkJohns
06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Utah has beaten very good Pac-10 teams, and has competed/won many of their challenging bowl games. They will be fine. I doubt they go undefeated, but they can go 10-2, 11-1 from time to time. Most seasons will be 9-3/10-2, but that can be good enough for the BCS birth (see this season).

IronMexican
06-18-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm still gonna win some Pac 10 Titles and BCS titles with USC the next 2 years on NCAA 11.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm still gonna win some Pac 10 Titles and BCS titles with USC the next 2 years on NCAA 11.

Kinda lame, but I prefer playing as SEC powerhouses on NCAA since it takes forever to build UA up as a top tier program. Play as LSU and just stack my team full of SEC slave descendants, and I got niggas flyin' all over the field.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Why not just play as Notre Dame? They're the easiest team to play as on that game because of how easy it is to get recruits with them.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2010, 01:34 AM
:lol

Girasuck
06-18-2010, 01:43 AM
you don't really think Utah will contend in then Pac 12 do you? :lol you're in for a rude awakening...

Yeah...just like we couldn't compete with Alabama, or Michigan, or Cal, or Oregon State over the past couple years. I've heard your sorry excuse before from many people and all we do is prove everyone wrong. We have the best kept secret in the nation at quarterback and one of the best wide receiver cores in the nation. Our QB will only be in his junior season when we start Pac-10 play, and our receiving core will be a bunch of juniors and sophomores, as well as most of our defense. I'm telling everyone right now that in 2 years we'll be in the Rose Bowl. Book it.

Have fun watching Boise State play in the Las Vegas Bowl.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM
vander is one of the biggest dumbshits on this site. He's a creationist zealot who gets really butthurt at any negative thoughts about Tebow, why would you expect a logical thought process outa him?

Marklar MM
06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah...just like we couldn't compete with Alabama, or Michigan, or Cal, or Oregon State over the past couple years. I've heard your sorry excuse before from many people and all we do is prove everyone wrong. We have the best kept secret in the nation at quarterback and one of the best wide receiver cores in the nation. Our QB will only be in his junior season when we start Pac-10 play, and our receiving core will be a bunch of juniors and sophomores, as well as most of our defense. I'm telling everyone right now that in 2 years we'll be in the Rose Bowl. Book it.

Have fun watching Boise State play in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Not the greatest example my friend. That team was either #1 or #2 worst team in Michigan history...depending on if you want losses or win percentage. And you still only won by 2.

vander
06-18-2010, 10:27 AM
vander is one of the biggest dumbshits on this site. He's a creationist zealot who gets really butthurt at any negative thoughts about Tebow, why would you expect a logical thought process outa him?

wow I am deep inside this guy's head.

DoK you need to move on... :wakeup

vander
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
oh and now that there's no competition coming from the WAC for that automatic in-the-top-14 bid, an MWC team will be going to a BCS game just about every year.

IronMexican
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Kinda lame, but I prefer playing as SEC powerhouses on NCAA since it takes forever to build UA up as a top tier program. Play as LSU and just stack my team full of SEC slave descendants, and I got niggas flyin' all over the field.

I played as Tennessee last year and got them into high tier program. Only did it cause I was a fan of Kiffin. I also play as a 1 star program and have a super QB. The first 4 years are easy, but it gets tough after that.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I played as Tennessee last year and got them into high tier program. Only did it cause I was a fan of Kiffin. I also play as a 1 star program and have a super QB. The first 4 years are easy, but it gets tough after that.

imo recruiting got too easy on NCAA 10 when it was too hard on NCAA 09, maybe there was a trick to 09 that I never caught since I barely played it, but NCAA 10 it's too easy to pull ridiculous recruiting classes, 8 years into using Miami I got a recruiting class with 24 5 stars.

Girasuck
06-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Not the greatest example my friend. That team was either #1 or #2 worst team in Michigan history...depending on if you want losses or win percentage. And you still only won by 2.

Ummm...true, but at the time we played them they were ranked in the top 25, and nobody said we could win.

tsb2000
06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm telling everyone right now that in 2 years we'll be in the Rose Bowl. Book it.

What he said. :)

tsb2000
06-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Ummm...true, but at the time we played them they were ranked in the top 25, and nobody said we could win.

and that was in the Big House @ Michigan, no less.