PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi to sign a new contract soon?

bobby4germany
06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
San Antonio Spurs' free-agent, Ian Mahinmi, is close to signing a new contract according to the French National team's coach, Vincent Collet, via Le Figaro.com (http://www.lefigaro.fr/autres-sports/2010/06/16/02021-20100616ARTSPO00514-jeunes-mais-ambitieux.php). Laissé libre par San Antonio, Ian Mahinmi attend de trouver un nouvel employeur. Une signature pourrait intervenir d'après les informations de Vincent Collet.
Rough English translation:

Vacated by San Antonio, Ian Mahinmi waiting to find a new employer. A signature could come "soon" according to information from Vincent Collet.
Mahinmi will be part of the selection camp to play for French National team in Turkey at this summer's FIBA World Championships.

Though it was not stated which team Mahinmi will be signing with, chances are it will be the Spurs.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/june/mahinmi-to-sign-a-new-contract-soon.html

Mal
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
How Spurs ? they didn`t release him to sign him to a higher contract

spursfaninla
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Hard to say if this is just puffy on the party of Mahinmi's agent, or actual news.

Mr Bones
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
After letting Ratliff and Haislip go, I thought for sure that Mahinmi would get more minutes.... I think the expectations on Mahinmi were exaggerated by many here at spurstalk, but I still never understood not giving him even more garbage time minutes during the season for the sake of experience. I would think given his history of not getting minutes here and the possible arrival of Splitter, he'd want to go elsewhere where playing time would be more likely.

Obstructed_View
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
So he's going to play outside of the NBA then? Doesn't make much sense.

tdunk21
06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
am guessing the spurs will retain him for depth and also he is young and there is room to develop......

Phenomanul
06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
My french is rusty but doesn't the blip say something along the lines that he's "looking for a new employer"?

Obstructed_View
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
My french is rusty but doesn't the blip say something along the lines that he's "looking for a new employer"?

Yeah, and if he's going to sign anywhere "soon" then it can't be an NBA team.

Dr. Gonzo
06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
The Spurs MUST sign him at any cost. He is part of the future front court for the Spurs. HE ALTERS SHOTS!!!!

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 12:38 PM
The Spurs MUST sign him at any cost. He is part of the future front court for the Spurs. HE ALTERS SHOTS!!!!

Amen!

While this is encouraging, I will refrain from getting hyped up until I see an official release.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I hope we retain him, but if he leaves, we still got Splitter and Blair to look forward to. No sweat.

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I hope we retain him, but if he leaves, we still got Splitter and Blair to look forward to. No sweat.

It's still not enough. The Spurs do not have another shot-blocking and post presence down low. Duncan has continously gotten worn down at the end of the past 2-3 seasons. Besides all that, Dice will be gone after next season. Duncan could very well follow.

All that said, Retaining Ian isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
It's still not enough. The Spurs do not have another shot-blocking and post presence down low. Duncan has continously gotten worn down at the end of the past 2-3 seasons. Besides all that, Dice will be gone after next season. Duncan could very well follow.

I do think that Ian will turn out to be a good player wherever he decides to go, but I don't understand how he can see playing time if he didn't see any last year and with Splitter coming in. I'm a believer in him working it out with the Spurs, but it hasn't happened at all in his tenure here and I have trouble in seeing it be any different next year.

Bruno
06-16-2010, 01:20 PM
FNT coach is just reporting what Ian said a couple of weeks ago: His agent is getting good feed-backs from some NBA team about Ian. If Spurs don't want to re-sign him, Ian shouldn't have a lot of difficulties to sign with another NBA team.

For the moment, Spurs aren't sure what to do with him. There are a lot of factors like the draft, Splitter and maybe some trades. Ian will talk with Pop around July 1st to know what are Spurs' plan about him.

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 01:44 PM
FNT coach is just reporting what Ian said a couple of weeks ago: His agent is getting good feed-backs from some NBA team about Ian. If Spurs don't want to re-sign him, Ian shouldn't have a lot of difficulties to sign with another NBA team.

For the moment, Spurs aren't sure what to do with him. There are a lot of factors like the draft, Splitter and maybe some trades. Ian will talk with Pop around July 1st to know what are Spurs' plan about him.

Not surprising at all. I just knew he had perceived NBA value, even if the Spurs don't think so.

Bender
06-16-2010, 02:01 PM
how much longer till there can be a Splitter decision?

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I do think that Ian will turn out to be a good player wherever he decides to go, but I don't understand how he can see playing time if he didn't see any last year and with Splitter coming in. I'm a believer in him working it out with the Spurs, but it hasn't happened at all in his tenure here and I have trouble in seeing it be any different next year.

Simple. Pop will have to let Bonner walk and give up on the idea of the stretch 4.

Bruno
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
how much longer till there can be a Splitter decision?

Splitter has already decided to sign with Spurs.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 04:33 PM

That's not nice, Bruno. :nope

Toying with our emotions like that.

E-RockWill
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Wha-Wha-Whaaaa....?!

Bruno
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
That's not nice, Bruno. :nope

Toying with our emotions like that.

Well, local newspapers are reporting it:

http://www.lejpb.com/paperezkoa/20100617/205455/fr/Le-Baskonia-champion

Splitter s'en va aux Spurs

Tiago Splitter était arrivé à l'âge de quinze ans dans la capitale de l'Araba. Après une dernière prestation de grande classe qui lui vaut le titre de MVP (meilleur joueur ndlr) de la saison régulière et des play-off du championnat d'Espagne, le pivot italo- brésilien du Baskonia va faire ses valises pour la NBA et la franchise des San Antonio Spurs avec laquelle il va désormais évoluer. Splitter suit ainsi le chemin qu'ont fait avant lui les joueurs qui sont passés et qui se sont révélés sous les couleurs de Gasteiz. Le Caja Laboral voit partir son meilleur joueur, comme il en a l'habitude, et va une nouvelle fois devoir se renouveler. Mais le président Josean Querejeta et l'entraîneur Ivanovic possèdent le secret de la régénération.

E-RockWill
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

:wow Giggidy.....

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Splitter goes to Spurs

Tiago Splitter had reached the age of fifteen years in the capital of Araba. After a final delivery of high class that earned him the MVP (Most Valuable Player ed) of the regular season and playoff championship in Spain, the backbone of the Italian-Brazilian Baskonia will pack his bags for the NBA and San Antonio Spurs franchise with which he will now evolve. Splitter thus follows the path before him have done the players who are past and which have proved in the colors of Gasteiz. The Caja Laboral seen from its best player, as is his habit, and will once again have to renew. But the president and coach Josean Querejeta Ivanovic possess the secret of regeneration.

Not posting, just observing from retirement. It's like stumbling across something, really. I didn't need to pick it up but I'm retired and have nothing else to do . . .

tdunk21
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM

:wow

Seventyniner
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM

And you hide this info in a Mahinmi thread instead of starting a new one?

Actually, someone is bound to start a new thread based on your post, and then it will be time for THREAD MERGE ATTACK!!! And the Ian story will get buried...

TimDunkem
06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
And you hide this info in a Mahinmi thread instead of starting a new one?

Actually, someone is bound to start a new thread based on your post, and then it will be time for THREAD MERGE ATTACK!!! And the Ian story will get buried...
Someone asked him about Splitter and he answered. No need to merge anything.

I saw that link in another thread too...Probably a Splitter thread, so it's not like he's hiding some secret info.

Now lets get back to Mahinmi.

Bender
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Someone asked him about Splitter and he answered. No need to merge anything.
yeah, that was me. The Mahinmi decision hinged on what splitter decides to do, so I asked when splitter would decide.

JustinJDW
06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Resign him. When Timmy and McDyess are retired in a couple years, Mahinmi, Splitter and Blair should be our Franchise Bigs. :)

UnWantedTheory
06-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I could give two shits about him if he is never going to see the floor. If Pop does not play the man, then he is worthless to us. I would have loved to have him as a back-up option last year, but he couldnt even get legit garbage time. That says something to me. Also, I am not sold on Splitter solving our frontcourt problems, so I think we have to look for veteran length somehow. Timmy isnt the same, McD is old and undersized, and Blair is undersized. Then we want to add an unproven talent in Splitter and a very long athletic kid who cant get any floor time? That does not sound too promising to me. That is not enough to compete with the elite teams in the league.

Cane
06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Given that Tiago is likely to come over and if Blair remains on the roster; I really don't see much of a situation where Ian will see the minutes both he and the Spurs want in San Antonio. He seems like a classy guy but he also added to two very big problems the Spurs had throughout the year and that was needless turnovers and lackluster defense.

The Spurs still need an answer for elite athletic 4's such as Odom and Amar'e even with Tiago and Ian on board. Ian didn't look anywhere quick enough to handle such gifted players and Tiago's competition in Europe doesn't look as explosive either. Blair doesn't look like he can keep up either but hopefully he's been watching Big Baby Davis and how he's been able to defend such players.

It'll probably be bon voyage for Ian but it really depends on what the Spurs decide to do with Blair and who knows maybe they'll ship out McDyess as well.

galvatron3000
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Lakers will take him.

Thompson
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
If Pop will guarantee him minutes (at least early in the season, to give him a legit shot to show what he has) backing up Splitter, I hope we sign him. Problem is Pop doesn't guarantee minutes to anyone, and considering how he handled Ian last year, he has to do so to keep Mahinmi.

Solid D
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Now lets get back to Mahinmi.

If the 76ers don't make a play for Ian, then I doubt the Spurs will...if you get my drift.

jason1301
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
If Splitter decides to come over, I don't think Ian will be signed. Think about it, how many youngsters and/or rookies Pop will play?

G Hill, Blair, #20 draft pick, and Splitter are already four.

spursfan1000
06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Mahammi needs to get the fuck out of San Antonio.

ChuckD
06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Not surprising at all. I just knew he had perceived NBA value, even if the Spurs don't think so.

If you haven't figured out yet that probably only 20-25% of NBA players can make it in this Spurs system, then you have no fucking clue about the Spurs or how they operate.

NBA value <> Spurs value

angelbelow
06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
well i dont mind locking him down for cheap.. maybe a 2 year 2mil per season type contract for insurance. although.. now that were in the luxury tax no sure if that will happen.

Obstructed_View
06-18-2010, 09:09 AM
well i dont mind locking him down for cheap.. maybe a 2 year 2mil per season type contract for insurance. although.. now that were in the luxury tax no sure if that will happen.

That's not gonna happen. Someone else is going to pay more.

Dr. Gonzo
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM

That's laughable. Mahinmi is at least the full MLE.

underdawg
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
That's laughable. Mahinmi is at least the full MLE.

No MLE won't get it - he's a max player. nice sarcasm - if Bonner can get 3 mil, why can't Ian get 2? Oh yeah, that's right he's not an NBA player even though he's had minimal playing time in the NBA.

Save your anti-raw player crusade for somebody that's had a chance to prove himself.

Dr. Gonzo
06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
No MLE won't get it - he's a max player. nice sarcasm - if Bonner can get 3 mil, why can't Ian get 2? Oh yeah, that's right he's not an NBA player even though he's had minimal playing time in the NBA.

Save your anti-raw player crusade for somebody that's had a chance to prove himself.

Same can be said for James White!!!!!

underdawg
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM

you're saying James White had less or equal of a chance as Ian?

White's not 6'11'

underdawg
06-18-2010, 11:58 AM

James White - 22.8 mpg during his chance with the Spurs

Ian - 3.8 mpg in 07/08 and 6.3 mpg in 09/10

ducks
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
ian said playing time was a big part of where he was going
splitter is here
blair is here
duncan is here
no booner
ian would get minutes

the question is how many minutes does he think he should play a game

Dr. Gonzo
06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
you're saying James White had less or equal of a chance as Ian?

White's not 6'11'

I forgot that 6'11 makes a good player. Got it.

benefactor
06-18-2010, 12:19 PM
It sure as hell does. Just go to the Think Tank and pick a 7 footer and look at the posts. All of them are going to be the next Mutombo.

underdawg
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
ian said playing time was a big part of where he was going
splitter is here
blair is here
duncan is here
no booner
ian would get minutes

the question is how many minutes does he think he should play a game

if Spurs invest in him again, they should try and get him 10 min per game for more than 2 games in a row to see if he has what it takes

underdawg
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
It sure as hell does. Just go to the Think Tank and pick a 7 footer and look at the posts. All of them are going to be the next Mutombo.

doesn't mean they'll be successful, but it does increase their value. Could the Celtics have used some height last night?

Ask any player in the NBA what one attribute they would like to have if they could - I'd have to guess most would say to be taller.

underdawg
06-18-2010, 12:25 PM

didn't say that - but it does make your comparison stupid

BackHome
06-19-2010, 01:38 AM
The dude will find it hard to land on a NBA team and if he does it won't be for long. I don't think he would even make it in the Spanish league I see him going back to France and playing for one of their teams.

superbigtime
06-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Not signing Ian would be a stupid fn mistake. He's a product of the Spurs system. He is long, young, talented 6'11 footer and can be resigned on the cheap. He should have been given more of a role last year than just the every-5th -game garbage man.

BackHome
06-19-2010, 01:03 PM
He wont find it hard to find a team, 23yr old athletic bigs who can score rebound and block shots and run the floor dont find work hard to come by.

So what team is that other young athletic big who could score and rebound and block shots and run the floor playing for? I think his name was Pop and we had him on our team for a few weeks,,,,,,,,,

mingus
06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
if the Spurs sign Splitter, i seriously doubt he'll come back. it would be stupid on his part. OKC is in need of a a frontcourt upgrade and i can c him ending up there.

J Mack
06-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Ian showed promise in the LIMITED time he was giving. I think some of the people that says he straight up sucks was high on Crack when they saw him play !:wow

BackHome
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
R U compairing a 6-8 220lb jumping jack with no offensive skill set what so ever with a 6-11 250lb C who is years younger and in limited mins put up impressive numbers?

Someone will sign Ian and we may very well regret letting him walk. Pops is a solid role player but hes not a center as Ian is, nor does he have the upside.

size matters if Samardo Samuel was 6-11 he would be a lottery pick, now hes lucky to get into the second round. Im sure teams like the Lakers, 76s, Ny, Phx will all take a look at Ian if we cant lock him up.

All I am saying is that when we let Pops go there were alot of people saying we screwed up and how he was going to make it big and that some other team would be getting real lucky to get him!

Look at some old post about him people fall in love with the underdawg I understand that but Pops isn't even playing in the NBA righ now. So people get attatched to guys like Ian and Hairston but they would be playiing and getting minutes if they were good.

We gave the kid three years to show us something I think that the Spurs organization can tell by now if he will be any good for us. If they can't judge talent and upsize then god help us on draft night.

AFBlue
06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
I agree unless we move Dice or Blair. I heard Indy was talking about a deal for the 10th pick involving Blair so who knows. I just hate to see us regret signing him. I know Splitter will be good but you can never have too many bigs when your starters are 34 and 36.

Where did you hear that? The Pacers already have Hansborough, so why would they want another undersized PF?

Blair got more burn in his rookie season than Mahinmi got in three season altogether. That should tell you who the Spurs would rather bring back if they had the choice.

I see it as about a 5% chance Mahinmi is back in a Spurs uni.

MaNu4Tres
06-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Where did you hear that?

From up his ass.

Same place where the Spurs should consider signing Shaq for the MLE and that the league is full of 20 and 10 players.

ivanfromwestwood
06-20-2010, 03:07 AM
maybe ian got tired of sitting and waiting all these seasons that he asked pop not to pick up his option so he could test the market. maybe he wants to go back to europe and become the next splitter. this may be why pop didnt play him. why showcase a young talent that isnt going to play for you any more. sorry guys. kinda buzzed right now

Darkwaters
06-20-2010, 04:22 AM

Agreed. After his dominant regular season play last year followed by his inspiring playoff performances I don't know how you could let him walk. Best of all, hes a regular iron man and has a long track record of quality play at high levels of competition. :rolleyes

Honestly, though, I'd like to keep him, but I'm not convinced of his future by any means. He'd be a nice piece, and should be cheap, but any thoughts of him dominating anything at this point at pipe dreams. I simply want him to be productive in extended spurts and not have to leave every season because of some minor injury. Or foul out of every game for that matter.

Hes shown flashes, but thats not enough to sell me yet.

SenorSpur
06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Agreed. After his dominant regular season play last year followed by his inspiring playoff performances I don't know how you could let him walk. Best of all, hes a regular iron man and has a long track record of quality play at high levels of competition. :rolleyes

Honestly, though, I'd like to keep him, but I'm not convinced of his future by any means. He'd be a nice piece, and should be cheap, but any thoughts of him dominating anything at this point at pipe dreams. I simply want him to be productive in extended spurts and not have to leave every season because of some minor injury. Or foul out of every game for that matter.

Hes shown flashes, but thats not enough to sell me yet.

Perhaps that offensive ass-raping, that was administered to the Spurs by the Suns, in that 4-0 series sweep is enough to sell the coaching staff and others that this team is woefully deficient on the frontline. Therefore, there is no reason NOT to give this kid a legitimate shot at earning rotation minutes. Those flashes that we've seen would seem to indicate that this kid brings a set of skills the Spurs do not currently have enough of.

Darkwaters
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Perhaps that offensive ass-raping, that was administered to the Spurs by the Suns, in that 4-0 series sweep is enough to sell the coaching staff and others that this team is woefully deficient on the frontline. Therefore, there is no reason NOT to give this kid a legitimate shot at earning rotation minutes. Those flashes that we've seen would seem to indicate that this kid brings a set of skills the Spurs do not currently have enough of.

Granted. But any claims that Mahinmi is going to instantly step in and be a significant contributor overnight are likely farfetched. I'm far more likely to put my faith and trust in Splitter to do that than Ian. Still, I'd gladly welcome Ian as the 5th big and a potential rotation player. I just don't think we need to label the guy a "must sign" kind of player. His history simply doesn't support it.