PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Kobe Equals World Championship for Lakers

duncan228
06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Grumpy Kobe Equals World Championship for Lakers (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/16/grumpy-kobe-equals-world-championship-for-lakers/)
By Terence Moore

They know they have to win on Thursday night at Staples Center, so they will. Just like they knew they had to win their home game on Tuesday night, and they did. Which is to say the Los Angeles Lakers' rumbling, bumbling, stumbling way during a two-game losing streak in these NBA Finals was a fluke.

Which is to say the Lakers' bench really isn't that bad.

Which is to say Pau Gasol isn't spooked anymore by that old postseason ghost of Kevin Garnett, and the Zen Master remains a Tweak Master, and Staples Center hasn't lost its potency for the home team.

Which is to say the Boston Celtics haven't an obsessed Kobe of a chance of winning Game 7 here on Thursday night.

The man still hasn't smiled, which is to say Kobe Bryant won't jettison the scowl he has worn since the start of the playoffs until the Lakers officially seal their back-to-back world championships. He expects to win, because he demands it. In fact, somebody asked Bryant about word that he flashed a grin or something in the locker room before the Lakers steamrolled their way to an 89-67 victory over the Celtics on Tuesday night in Game 6.

Were you loose and confident?

"Yeah," Bryant said, curtly, and not because he was burned out after continuing as the ultimate hustling machine for 39 minutes and 37 seconds along the way to 26 points, 11 rebounds and four steals. He just chooses to be ornery these days -- you know, until he gets exactly what he wants. And you know what he wants.

Now it's here: Game 7. Celtics-Lakers.

The chance for Kobe to prove -- once and for all -- that Shaq wasn't the only Batman on this Los Angeles team during its run to three world championships earlier in his career.

With teeth nearly clenched, Bryant reflected on it all, starting with the Lakers forcing a Game 7, saying, "No, the opportunity is not something that makes me happy. It's winning and taking advantage of the opportunity that makes me happy. That buzzer goes off, and we're not victorious, am I thankful for the opportunity? Nope."

The point is, Bryant and the rest of the Lakers are channeling their inner Vince Lombardi ("Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing"), which means they have that championship mindset again.

They just won't admit it.

Neither will the Celtics, because they can't tell the truth about their suddenly rejuvenated foes.

Instead, Celtics coach Doc Rivers hinted he fears the Lakers have returned as the Lakers when he reflected on Game 6. "They were terrific," Rivers said. "They cut harder ... I just thought their movement, their trust -- you know, I think most people, and I will say not us, but I think most people assumed that Kobe would come out and take 1,000 shots, and I thought he did the exact opposite."

Bryant did, because he had help. He had Ron Artest ousting his offensive struggles in the series by arriving early for shooting and more shooting. In the end, Artest had 15 points, including a trio of 3-pointers to help the Lakers remain explosive throughout the evening.

Then Bryant had Gasol, who was embarrassed in the NBA Finals two years ago by Garnett. Despite early success against KG in this series, Gasol regressed, but he flourished in Game 6 by complementing his 17 points with 13 rebounds, nine assists and three blocks.

More impressive, Bryant had that bench, which he also will have Thursday night since Rivers joined Zen Master and Lakers coach Phil Jackson in delivering a fact for the ages: benches have a tendency to perform better at home than on the road.

The Lakers' bench is at home for Game 7.

You can expect nothing less on Thursday night than what the Lakers bench did on Tuesday night: Splendid outside shooting from Sasha Vujacic, torrid rebounding from Lamar Odom (and a slew of points as well), productive minutes from Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar -- and even the likes of Josh Powell and Luke Walton.

That Lakers' bench even outscored the supposedly vastly superior one of Boston, 15-0, at halftime. "The energy and the direction they had was what I was pleased with," said Jackson, who demanded they did as much after several of their lackluster efforts earlier in the series. "I felt like they were directed, and they had an idea what they wanted to get accomplished out there on the floor. That was important."

Added Rivers, "Bench players are typically more comfortable at home, and stars play well everywhere."

Stars like Kobe, for instance.

That said, it was a nice run for the Celtics, especially the way they resuscitated their regular season down the stretch after a combination of injuries, listlessness and old age. Plus, it was impressive they began the playoffs by keeping LeBron James as a wannabe regarding true greatness (translated: He still lacks a world championship).

The Celtics also shoved Dwight Howard deeper into LeBron territory (translated: He also lacks a world championship) by reaching the NBA Finals, where they looked pathetic in the opener but recovered to take a 3-2 lead into Game 6 of this best-of-seven series.

It's just that, when it comes to Game 7, the Lakers will have Kobe and a bunch of complementary folks on a mission -- which is to say the Lakers will have Kobe and Jack smiling at the end.

Giuseppe
06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Finish it.

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Finish it.

48 mins of hell Cully 48 more and then we burn this bitch down ....

Im kicking ass and taking names on all haters, trolls and San Antonio Celtics ...

Roddy Beaubois
06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
and with the 16 pick in the NBA draft.....

duhoh
06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/047/Purple/f3/49/ef/mzl.narfynlm.320x480-75.jpg

ChrisRichards
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Lakers fans are in for a rude awakening...

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Yes, that is Still funny 24 hours later ...

What an original post! the originality ...the intelligence!!!

Why dont you contribute something to a thread?

Oh wait your bitchass team lost in the first round to a team that got swept in the 2nd ...

Change my mind dont speak you beneath me ...

Roddy Beaubois
06-16-2010, 04:09 PM
yes, that is Still funny 24 hours later ...

Oh wait your bitchass team lost in teh first round to a team that got swept in the 2nd ...

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Mavs championship DVD faggot ...

Dont worry Celts have some 2010 champioship T-shirts and hats to add to yall's collection ...

Giuseppe
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Lakers fans are in for a rude awakening...

Then so be it. You'll have been awakened rudely first and with us.

We'll have plenty of company.

ChrisRichards
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Lol @ 16th pick :lol

koriwhat
06-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, that is Still funny 24 hours later ...

Oh wait your bitchass team lost in the first round to a team that got swept in the 2nd ...

youre getting a taste of the fag squad who's been following me around for some time now.

unoriginal fags they are.

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Lol @ 16th pick :lol

LOL at the LOL

Hey CR real talk is your sig now meant as a reverse jinx?

ChrisRichards
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
LOL at the LOL

Hey CR real talk is your sig now meant as a reverse jinx?
Lol @ your Lol @ my lol.

Yah brah. Im 2-0 with this reverse jinx thing. Should I change it?

Killakobe81
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Lol @ your Lol @ my lol.

Yah brah. Im 2-0 with this reverse jinx thing. Should I change it?

It's all good.

I just think it's funny that yall made such a big deal ...about me saying 16th ... instead of 13th I thought about double checking it ...but I was late for an important meeting ...

Didnt know it would keep my name in people's mouth ...i was irritated a bit by it last night ... but now i find it funny.

Not a Kobe worshiper (that's why I didnt know by heart)...I picked the name because of all the hate he got for scoring 81 ...and it was my old 2K, NBA live and Madden name for online play.

Magic is my favorite Laker ...

ChrisRichards
06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Im not laughing at you KK. I just have to be an asshole for the sake of being one.

Pero
06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Probably Lakers without Pau (since he plays for Spain) don't make it out of the first round of the World Championship.

Giuseppe
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Im not laughing at you KK. I just have to be an asshole for the sake of being one.

Yes, you're compelled.

N4th4n
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM
It's all good.

I just think it's funny that yall made such a big deal ...about me saying 16th ... instead of 13th I thought about double checking it ...but I was late for an important meeting ...

Didnt know it would keep my name in people's mouth ...i was irritated a bit by it last night ... but now i find it funny.

Not a Kobe worshiper (that's why I didnt know by heart)...I picked the name because of all the hate he got for scoring 81 ...and it was my old 2K, NBA live and Madden name for online play.

Magic is my favorite Laker ...

:downspin:

monosylab1k
06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I hate to sound like an Argentina poster here, but the NBA doesn't play for the world championship.

LakerLanny
06-17-2010, 12:50 AM
I hate to sound like an Argentina poster here, but the NBA doesn't play for the world championship.

Yes they do.

No one cares what some dork Argentines think about the NBA World Championship.

monosylab1k
06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Yes they do.

No one cares what some dork Argentines think about the NBA World Championship.

no, they really don't. I hate foreign posters who talk like Euroleague > NBA, but even I can admit that the winner of the NBA Finals has no right to call themselves world champions.

Chillen
06-17-2010, 01:08 AM
no, they really don't. I hate foreign posters who talk like Euroleague > NBA, but even I can admit that the winner of the NBA Finals has no right to call themselves world champions.

You are correct, it's NBA champions. If it was NBA world champions the NBA would have to have teams all over the globe in other countrys, and teams from the USA would have to hop on a plane to go and play a regular season game in say Australia or Spain.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
No, no, it's correct as it is:::2010 NBA World Champions.

I got 15 of them for Christ sakes, I know whence I speak.

Muser
06-17-2010, 06:57 AM
"2010 NBA World Champions"

That statement contradicts itself.