PDA

View Full Version : Memorable NBA Finals Game 7s

duncan228
06-16-2010, 08:40 PM
This is in the NBA Forum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156535), but I thought this one belonged here. :)

It's a slideshow, hit the link for the rest.

Memorable NBA Finals Game 7s (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1006/nba.memorable.finals.game7s/content.1.html)
SI.com

The Celtics and Lakers are set to play the 17th Game 7 in NBA Finals history. Here is a look, in reverse chronological order, at some of the most memorable of those grand finales -- many of which, not surprisingly, involve Boston.

2005: Spurs 81, Pistons 74
The first Finals Game 7 in 11 years ended with Tim Duncan and the Spurs winning their third title in seven years and denying the Pistons back-to-back championships. Playing at home, San Antonio overcame a nine-point third-quarter deficit behind Duncan (25 points, 11 rebounds) and Manu Ginobili (23 points).

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead554.jpg

duncan228
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Spurs vs. Pistons Finals Game 7 -- Game Blog

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19894

LoneStarState'sPride
06-16-2010, 08:55 PM
I couldn't sleep at all the night before that game. Spent the entire day as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof! lol

Ginobili2Duncan
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I'll never understand why casual nba fans referred to the 2005 nba finals as "boring". When it was actually the most competitive nba finals of the 00's. When the Lakers win ugly, low scoring games in the finals, they played championship caliber defense. When the Spurs do the same its "boring", or "unwatchable".

TIMMYD!
06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
I'll never understand why casual nba fans referred to the 2005 nba finals as "boring". When it was actually the most competitive nba finals of the 00's. When the Lakers win ugly, low scoring games in the finals, they played championship caliber defense. When the Spurs do the same its "boring", or "unwatchable".

I totally understand what you're saying, it's pisses me off big time.

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I was fortunate enough to be in the SBC Center for that game and it will reign as the ultimate Spurs fan experience for me as long as I live. It wasn't a great game, but the building was electric and the players fought their asses off all night long. For whatever reason, while I'm usually nervous as all get out before playoff games, I was as calm as could be for Game 7 in 2005. I think it had something to do with knowing that no matter the outcome, I'd see some bit of significant NBA history; it may also have had something to do with an abiding belief that the Spurs would rebound from a putrid Game 6 performance. It wasn't just the Spurs who bounced back; San Antonio supported the Spurs like I've never heard it before and it was truly a privilege to be there. All the way around, it was an awesome experience made all the better by watching the Spurs become three-time champions.

TimDunkem
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead554.jpg
Ah, Manu splitting the D on a pick and roll, then going to his left, only to finish with a right handed dunk. That was a great play. :toast

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I was fortunate enough to be in the SBC Center for that game and it will reign as the ultimate Spurs fan experience for me as long as I live. It wasn't a great game, but the building was electric and the players fought their asses off all night long. For whatever reason, while I'm usually nervous as all get out before playoff games, I was as calm as could be for Game 7 in 2005. I think it had something to do with knowing that no matter the outcome, I'd see some bit of significant NBA history; it may also have had something to do with an abiding belief that the Spurs would rebound from a putrid Game 6 performance. It wasn't just the Spurs who bounced back; San Antonio supported the Spurs like I've never heard it before and it was truly a privilege to be there. All the way around, it was an awesome experience made all the better by watching the Spurs become three-time champions.

I shared your good fortune. By far the greatest fan experience of my life. Most of the game is just a blur, but the most distinct memory I have is when Manu hit that three with about 3 minutes left to push the lead to 7. From my perspective, it was scored at the far end of the court and Manu came running back the other way cupping his ear as if to say "You can't get any louder than this?" My ears were ringing for hours after the game was over.

Great game.

duncan228
06-16-2010, 09:34 PM
...Manu came running back the other way cupping his ear as if to say "You can't get any louder than this?"

There's a great pic of that moment that I can't seem to find in the mess that is my Photobucket. But I did find this while I was looking. Two days later... :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/2004-2005/6-25-05manu.jpg

Cane
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Great stuff.

You guys watching the Finals on ABC? Their intro is pretty cool; its a montage of all the NBA champions and near the very end its got Manu cheering from the end of Game 7. Seems kind of funny that the Spurs 2007 Finals MVP didn't have an appearance at all in that montage IIRC even though Duncan, Robinson, and Ginobili did! :)

duncan228
06-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Just the Spurs comments, hit the link for the rest.

Expert roundtable: NBA Finals Game 7 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?page=CelticsLakers-100617)
ESPN.com

1. Rank the Finals Game 7s from the past three decades in importance.

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop:

5. 2005 (Spurs 81, Pistons 74): You know what's funny? Even though all kinds of people who are in Los Angeles covering the Finals were at this Game 7, nobody seems to remember this one. I have heard all kinds of mangled memories of the last Finals Game 7. Was it the Lakers? Huh? 2007? This one did not make a big impression. My main memory of this year: The Pistons' offense was amazingly boring. I guess if there's such a thing as karma, they had a loss coming.

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com:

4. 2005: Allowed Tim Duncan to pull even with Shaq and Kobe in the ring race.

Kevin Arnovitz, TrueHoop:

5. 2005: The Spurs won their third title in seven years with their usual imprint: brutally efficient defense. Only Manu Ginobili posted an above-average individual offensive performance in the decisive game.

Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine:

5. 2005: This was Tim Duncan's first title without David Robinson, solidifying him as an all-time great in his own right.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com:

4. 2005: Series lacked spice nationally but helped define Duncan's Spurs as all-time greats.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com:

5. 2005: It was nice having a Game 7 at the Finals for the first time in 11 years, but the most memorable thing about this series, to me, was how dreadful Games 1-4 were.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com:

5. 2005: Robert Horry's dagger that saved Tim Duncan in Game 5 is far more memorable than Game 7.

Ginobili2Duncan
06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Just the Spurs comments, hit the link for the rest.

Expert roundtable: NBA Finals Game 7 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?page=CelticsLakers-100617)
ESPN.com

1. Rank the Finals Game 7s from the past three decades in importance.

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop:

5. 2005 (Spurs 81, Pistons 74): You know what's funny? Even though all kinds of people who are in Los Angeles covering the Finals were at this Game 7, nobody seems to remember this one. I have heard all kinds of mangled memories of the last Finals Game 7. Was it the Lakers? Huh? 2007? This one did not make a big impression. My main memory of this year: The Pistons' offense was amazingly boring. I guess if there's such a thing as karma, they had a loss coming.

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com:

Kevin Arnovitz, TrueHoop:

5. 2005: The Spurs won their third title in seven years with their usual imprint: brutally efficient defense. Only Manu Ginobili posted an above-average individual offensive performance in the decisive game.

5. 2005: This was Tim Duncan's first title without David Robinson, solidifying him as an all-time great in his own right.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com:

4. 2005: Series lacked spice nationally but helped define Duncan's Spurs as all-time greats.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com:

5. 2005: It was nice having a Game 7 at the Finals for the first time in 11 years, but the most memorable thing about this series, to me, was how dreadful Games 1-4 were.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com:

5. 2005: Robert Horry's dagger that saved Tim Duncan in Game 5 is far more memorable than Game 7.

And they call themselves "Sports Journalists"

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
No mention of Bruce's incredible anticipation to block Chauncey's pull up three attempt? Defensive timing doesn't get any better than that. Whoever has that gif as their avatar knows what I'm talking about.

Duncan2177
06-17-2010, 01:34 PM
And they call themselves "Sports Journalists"

They are idiotic tools.

J_Paco
06-17-2010, 01:53 PM
J.A. Adande, ESPN.com:

J.A. Adande and Chris Brousard are the grandest tools of them all. Please, as if Duncan needed to win without Robinson to "prove" his greatness. Magic never won without Kareem and Jordan never won without Pippen. But, Duncan "needed" to win without Robinson to prove he was an all-time great?

Duncan was Shaquille's peer and superior to Kobe whether he ever won another title.

duncan228
06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Everything's Coming Up Sevens for Fans (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/everythings-coming-up-sevens-for-fans/)

There's no greater treat for sports fans than a seven-game series pushed to the limit. It combines the win-or-go-home thrills of March Madness and the Super Bowl with the guarantee of evenly matched and equally desperate opponents. Familiarity breeds contempt, and six games between two evenly matched playoff opponents can create enough tension to forge a rivalry that lasts generations -- with one game left to determine who writes the history book and who's a forgotten footnote.

In anticipation of tonight's Game 7 of the NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics, we've asked our writers to reflect on previous Game 7s they've covered throughout their careers.

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2010/06/mcdyess-duncan-2005-200.jpg

2005 NBA Finals: Pistons at Spurs
Chris Tomasson

What I recall most about Game 7 of the 2005 NBA Finals is something I didn't actually see.

Antonio McDyess had been the one key addition after Detroit won the 2004 NBA title. Star guard Chauncey Billups had lured McDyess, his good friend, to Detroit in the summer of 2004, and everybody on the Pistons wanted to win a ring for one of the classiest guys the NBA has seen.

McDyess had suffered several devastating knee injuries while playing for numerous losing teams in his first nine NBA seasons. But the forward was feeling healthy and was one game away from a ring when the Pistons played at San Antonio on June 23, 2005 in Game 7 of the Finals.

Detroit, though, blew a nine-point, third-quarter lead and lost, 81-74. And anybody who then wanted to talk to McDyess would not have a chance.

McDyess was bawling away in the locker room afterward. Always an emotional player, McDyess was devastated at coming so close to a title and having it slip away.

When asked about McDyess after that game, Detroit coach Larry Brown said, "He's hurt. But we wouldn't have been in this position with a chance to win if it wasn't for him."

It was McDyess who had offered to give Brown his Olympic medal in Sydney in 2000 when he found out the team's coaches (Brown was an assistant) didn't get medals. Brown politely declined, but never has forgotten the gesture.

As it turned out, Brown never coached another game for Detroit, bolting after the season to New York. McDyess played four more seasons for the Pistons, making it to three East finals but never again reaching the Finals.

And where did McDyess sign after he became a free agent last summer? With San Antonio.

I asked McDyess in April if it ever were tough being with the Spurs due to memories of the devastating Game 7 loss five years earlier.

"It was weird at first going out on the court,'' McDyess said of games at the AT&T Center. "(That defeat) was sad for everybody (on the Pistons) because we had the game. We were up nine.''

McDyess had 10 points and seven rebounds in a defensive struggle that was tied 57-57 entering the fourth quarter. But the Spurs, who got 25 points from Finals MVP Tim Duncan and 23 from Manu Ginobili, were able to finally get some offense going by outscoring the Pistons 24-17 in the fourth quarter.

The gritty Pistons had stayed alive in the Finals by surprisingly winning, 95-86, in Game 6 at San Antonio. Some motivation had come when the Pistons had learned the city of San Antonio had tentatively scheduled a parade for what would be the day of Game 7.

Before Game 7, which was on a Thursday, it was written on the Pistons blackboard, "Parade rescheduled for Saturday.'' That parade, though, did take place two days after McDyess had broken down in the locker room.

lefty
06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Spurs vs. Pistons Finals Game 7 -- Game Blog

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19894
Do you have the GT for Spurs Lakers games 5, 2003 and 2004? :D

duncan228
06-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Do you have the GT for Spurs Lakers games 5, 2003 and 2004? :D

Not finding them with a quick search.

Did find this though, from 2004.

Spurs Won Game Five

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648

lefty
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Not finding them with a quick search.

Did find this though, from 2004.

Spurs Won Game Five

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648

Although GT's would have been awesome (I can imagine the meltdown :lol), this is still good stuff

LoneStarState'sPride
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Everything's Coming Up Sevens for Fans (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/everythings-coming-up-sevens-for-fans/)

There's no greater treat for sports fans than a seven-game series pushed to the limit. It combines the win-or-go-home thrills of March Madness and the Super Bowl with the guarantee of evenly matched and equally desperate opponents. Familiarity breeds contempt, and six games between two evenly matched playoff opponents can create enough tension to forge a rivalry that lasts generations -- with one game left to determine who writes the history book and who's a forgotten footnote.

In anticipation of tonight's Game 7 of the NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics, we've asked our writers to reflect on previous Game 7s they've covered throughout their careers.

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2010/06/mcdyess-duncan-2005-200.jpg

2005 NBA Finals: Pistons at Spurs
Chris Tomasson

What I recall most about Game 7 of the 2005 NBA Finals is something I didn't actually see.

Antonio McDyess had been the one key addition after Detroit won the 2004 NBA title. Star guard Chauncey Billups had lured McDyess, his good friend, to Detroit in the summer of 2004, and everybody on the Pistons wanted to win a ring for one of the classiest guys the NBA has seen.

McDyess had suffered several devastating knee injuries while playing for numerous losing teams in his first nine NBA seasons. But the forward was feeling healthy and was one game away from a ring when the Pistons played at San Antonio on June 23, 2005 in Game 7 of the Finals.

Detroit, though, blew a nine-point, third-quarter lead and lost, 81-74. And anybody who then wanted to talk to McDyess would not have a chance.

McDyess was bawling away in the locker room afterward. Always an emotional player, McDyess was devastated at coming so close to a title and having it slip away.

When asked about McDyess after that game, Detroit coach Larry Brown said, "He's hurt. But we wouldn't have been in this position with a chance to win if it wasn't for him."

It was McDyess who had offered to give Brown his Olympic medal in Sydney in 2000 when he found out the team's coaches (Brown was an assistant) didn't get medals. Brown politely declined, but never has forgotten the gesture.

As it turned out, Brown never coached another game for Detroit, bolting after the season to New York. McDyess played four more seasons for the Pistons, making it to three East finals but never again reaching the Finals.

And where did McDyess sign after he became a free agent last summer? With San Antonio.

I asked McDyess in April if it ever were tough being with the Spurs due to memories of the devastating Game 7 loss five years earlier.

"It was weird at first going out on the court,'' McDyess said of games at the AT&T Center. "(That defeat) was sad for everybody (on the Pistons) because we had the game. We were up nine.''

McDyess had 10 points and seven rebounds in a defensive struggle that was tied 57-57 entering the fourth quarter. But the Spurs, who got 25 points from Finals MVP Tim Duncan and 23 from Manu Ginobili, were able to finally get some offense going by outscoring the Pistons 24-17 in the fourth quarter.

The gritty Pistons had stayed alive in the Finals by surprisingly winning, 95-86, in Game 6 at San Antonio. Some motivation had come when the Pistons had learned the city of San Antonio had tentatively scheduled a parade for what would be the day of Game 7.

Before Game 7, which was on a Thursday, it was written on the Pistons blackboard, "Parade rescheduled for Saturday.'' That parade, though, did take place two days after McDyess had broken down in the locker room.

Dice was the lone Pistons player I legitimately felt sorry for after those finals. I've always admired his passion for the game. That had to have been tough for him, first time in a Spurs uniform, calling "home" the same arena where such a tough loss occurred. The man's a class act if there ever was one.

Spurs Brazil
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM

I only see Spurs games on TV but this was the best I ever seen from Spurs fans since I started following the team in 1994. The crowd was amazing the whole game, making noise and supporting the team. Props to all fans who were there in that fantastic night

Galileo
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Bill Russell had 30 points and 40 rebounds in the 1962 game 7 finals.

duncan228
06-17-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Guys You Want Suiting Up In A Game 7 (http://dimemag.com/2010/06/5-guys-you-want-suiting-up-in-a-game-7/)
By Daniel Marks
Dime

Clutch is a word that defines certain players. Robert Horry averaged just seven points per game in his career, yet will go down in history as “Big Shot Bob” owing to his penchant for nailing shots when it mattered most. Reggie Miller never won a championship ring, yet his clutch shooting performances in the playoffs (especially against the Knicks) will be remembered forever.

With Game 7 tonight, I present the most clutch lineup in the NBA today. These are the guys you would trust with the ball in their hands down the stretch tonight:

PG – Steve Nash
While Chauncey Billups a.k.a. “Mr. Big Shot” has the better playoff pedigree with an NBA Championship and NBA Finals MVP under his belt, it is hard not to go with Nash. He was amazing in these playoffs, and almost single-handedly led the Suns back in Game 5 against the Lakers which they eventually lost. He is the best point guard in the League, and proved in these playoffs that he is clutch with averages of 17.8 points and 10.1 assists per game.

SG – Dwyane Wade
Wade is one of the best finishers in NBA history. He won the NBA Finals MVP in 2006, and is money down the stretch. He was basically playing against the Celtics on his own in this year’s first round. He staved off a sweep with his incredible combination of skill and will, putting up 31 points, 10 assists, and eight rebounds in the W.

SF – Kobe Bryant
You don’t get the nickname “The Closer” for nothing. Kobe is an unstoppable force down the stretch, even with defenses hounding him in every fourth quarter. He hits impossible shot after impossible shot, and if anyone had any doubts about his clutch play they need look no further than his Game 6 performance against Phoenix to see why he is still on this list.

PF – Tim Duncan
While some people (including many in the Dime office) say Duncan shouldn’t be on this list, I beg to differ. Duncan has led his team to four NBA titles, and won Finals MVP three times. While that is in the past, he led the Spurs to the second round this year, and averaged 19.0 points and 9.9 rebounds in the playoffs. He is old, but Duncan is still a guy I’d want on my team in a Game 7.

C – Pau Gasol
While Gasol has been inconsistent, he has helped the Lakers to three straight Finals appearances. He can be deadly from both the post and mid-range, and with his great array of moves is a constant threat to score. He also makes great decisions as a passer, and is an underrated rebounder.

Cane
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Its great to see Duncan get respect, especially the current Duncan, but wtf:

PF – Tim Duncan
While some people (including many in the Dime office) say Duncan shouldn’t be on this list, I beg to differ. Duncan has led his team to four NBA titles, and won Finals MVP three times. While that is in the past, he led the Spurs to the second round this year, and averaged 19.0 points and 9.9 rebounds in the playoffs. He is old, but Duncan is still a guy I’d want on my team in a Game 7.

How the hell did Kobe not get any flack for being chosen as a SF and obviously snubbing the ringless King James yet Nash is at PG. Steve Nash is a pretty horrible player compared to the rest of these guys in a Game 7 situation since his defense is a black hole compared to the rest of the lineup.