PDA

View Full Version : Is the Texas coast being affected by the oil spill

Slydragon
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Wanted to head to the beach on monday with the kids for the day, but I really have not followed the news on the spill.

I did a quick google on my phone but only found info from last month.

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Not with oil. On the other hand, Obama's drilling moratorium is putting tens of thousands of people out of work.

thispego
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
boo hoo. these slackers who are out of work on oil rigs should just join the military. basically the same thing and it will get them out of our hair down on the coast so us normal, successful people can enjoy the coast without being crowded.

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 11:10 AM
wow.

thispego
06-17-2010, 11:10 AM
:lol

seriously

boutons_deux
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
There are 5000+ rigs in the Gulf. How many have been shutdown and evacuated due to Magic Negro's moratorium on NEW, DEEPWATER drilling?

Sportcamper
06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
“We care about the small people." Carl-Henric Svanberg

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 12:08 PM
There are 5000+ rigs in the Gulf. How many have been shutdown and evacuated due to Magic Negro's moratorium on NEW, DEEPWATER drilling?

33 deep water rigs immediately shut down, NO new permits being issues deep OR shallow. The problem is, they can't let those billion dollar rigs sit idle while Magic Negro dithers and plays politics. They will take them to Brazil, Algeria, Africa etc. on long term contracts and the jobs will be gone for good. and these were GOOD jobs...figure that for everyone that gets laid off thats one more house that will get repossessed.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Not with oil. On the other hand, Obama's drilling moratorium is putting tens of thousands of people out of work.

Shhhhhhhh. You might upset people. At least let them put their pom poms away

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Data source for this claim?

(let me guess it rhymes with "my grass") :lol

(edit) NM, found the source of your badly worded claim.

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/05/president_barack_obama_suspend.html

Chris John, president of the Mid-Continent Oil & Gas Association, said a temporary shutdown of well operations could put people out of work, and will affect offshore marine service companies, catering companies and Louisiana-based suppliers.

Given that all 33 rigs recently passed inspections, John suggested that the moratorium is unnecessary.

"could put people out of work"

isn't quite

"is putting tens of thousands of people out of work"

is it?

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Data source for this claim?

(let me guess it rhymes with "my grass") :lol

Data source for your claim that I'm wrong?

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Data source for your claim that I'm wrong?

Logical fail. Your claim, your burden of proof.

Claims must be assumed false until proven to a reasonable degree.

You can't ask someone to disprove a negative by shifting the burden of proof.

By the by, I edited my post. My bad for not looking, as the source for your claim was easy to find.

Sportcamper
06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Is anyone else concerned that the oil companies cut corners on these rigs & none of them have a plan to deal with emergencies…The documents they submitted to congress were all the same non sense written by someone long since dead…Their response plans involves dealing with walruses in gulf….A species not found in the gulf for over 1000 years…Face it, the oil companies could care less about safety or the environment…DRILL BABY DRILL…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/15/exxon-bp-ceos-it-was-emba_n_612837.html

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
33 deep water rigs immediately shut down, NO new permits being issues deep OR shallow. The problem is, they can't let those billion dollar rigs sit idle while Magic Negro dithers and plays politics. They will take them to Brazil, Algeria, Africa etc. on long term contracts and the jobs will be gone for good. and these were GOOD jobs...figure that for everyone that gets laid off thats one more house that will get repossessed.

Also for what it is worth:

BP has pledged $100M in a sinking fund to pay for this too.

Quite frankly, a moratorium on this until we can get a handle on what really went wrong at the Deepwater Horizon is not really that unreasonable is it?

How many jobs would be lost if another well blew out because we didn't address any potential problems that caused the DH blow out?

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Anyways to answer the question in the OP before this gets shunted into the poltical forum.... heh

Not yet.

If yo ugo to the noaa.gov website (national ocean and atmostpheric administration), the map is projecting it to lollygag in the middle of the gulf for a bit, then head to florida and eastish.

Given this spill will be ongoing throughout the hurricain season, I would be willing to bet that there is a good chance we will see some of it at some point.

Here is teh gobbledy gook URL for the most recent info:

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/topic_subtopic_entry.php?RECORD_KEY(entry_subtopic _topic)=entry_id,subtopic_id,topic_id&entry_id(entry_subtopic_topic)=809&subtopic_id(entry_subtopic_topic)=2&topic_id(entry_subtopic_topic)=1#downloads

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Here is the pdf file showing shorefall projected within 72 hours of June 16th.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2204_TMF72-2010-06-16-2100.pdf

Texas is not affected, nor even pictured. Sucks to be on any of the other coastline though. It is hitting Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, in addition to Louisiana.

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Is anyone else concerned that the oil companies cut corners on these rigs & none of them have a plan to deal with emergencies…The documents they submitted to congress were all the same non sense written by someone long since dead…Their response plans involves dealing with walruses in gulf….A species not found in the gulf for over 1000 years…Face it, the oil companies could care less about safety or the environment…DRILL BABY DRILL…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/15/exxon-bp-ceos-it-was-emba_n_612837.html

I am confident that BP took short cuts and fucked up. I also think the down hole well casing is compromised and leaking and BP knows it and the government knows it. I also think they are both intentionally hiding the truth from the public. I think the situation is a lot worse than they are admitting and they are just hoping and praying that they get incredibly lucky and that the relief well can actually intersect that stem/casing 5 miles down and penetrate it so they can plug the well. Lets just hope they can get there before the blowoff preventer topples over and REALLY screws up the downhole casing.

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I am confident that BP took short cuts and fucked up. I also think the down hole well casing is compromised and leaking and BP knows it and the government knows it. I also think they are both intentionally hiding the truth from the public. I think the situation is a lot worse than they are admitting and they are just hoping and praying that they get incredibly lucky and that the relief well can actually intersect that stem/casing 5 miles down and penetrate it so they can plug the well. Lets just hope they can get there before the blowoff preventer topples over and REALLY screws up the downhole casing.

+1

The question is how many of the other rigs/wells operated by other owners operators are operating unsafely at this time?

I would guess that safety practices at all companies there recently got bumped up a bit on the priority list... :lol

Sisk
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Here is the pdf file showing shorefall projected within 72 hours of June 16th.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2204_TMF72-2010-06-16-2100.pdf

Texas is not affected, nor even pictured. Sucks to be on any of the other coastline though. It is hitting Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, in addition to Louisiana.

/thread

Now take this nonsense to the political forum

Here, I'll even link you:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156294

Dr. Gonzo
06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Magic Negro? Why don't people just call him what they want to call him and say the ###### President?

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 01:41 PM
/thread

Now take this nonsense to the political forum

Here, I'll even link you:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156294

There are, by my count, about 6 threads there. Probably more. :lol

MavDynasty
06-17-2010, 02:13 PM
This world is fucked.

DarkReign
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Magic Negro? Why don't people just call him what they want to call him and say the ###### President?

Youd kind of have to know the person's schtick who said it.

Sisk
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
There are, by my count, about 6 threads there. Probably more. :lol

Well perfect. Then we don't need 7, do we? :wakeup

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Fuck off, junior forum cop.

Das Texan
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
what does this have to do with the texas coast?

texas controls the drilling off the texas coastline out to like 50 miles or something I believe. I mean unless all the out of work roughnecks are heading out to the texas coast. They need to go find work on the land as roughnecks (since business is starting to pick up again) Its the life of a roughneck, if you dont learn to accept it then you are a retard (then again most of them are retards, though that might be insulting to true retards)

Das Texan
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM

BP's failure to do anything positive when it comes to safety makes every other oil and gas company look like a fucking saint

The Reckoning
06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
boo hoo. these slackers who are out of work on oil rigs should just join the military. basically the same thing and it will get them out of our hair down on the coast so us normal, successful people can enjoy the coast without being crowded.

but then how can you fuel your boat?

Jacob1983
06-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I went to the coast two weekends ago and the beach and water were fine. I went to Stewart Beach in Galveston and I didn't see any oil.

PuttPutt
06-18-2010, 01:46 AM
friends living, part-time, in Port A say there's nothing there (oil) & they own a deep sea fishing charter as well. I forgot to ask if they are still fishing. I looked on their website though & it shows they have a few booked trips.

Buddy Holly
06-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Holy shit, mother fucker just asked about the fucking Texas coast not people's fucking stupid and irrelevant fucking political views. Fuck!