PDA

View Full Version : Just when some were starting to respect Sarver...this kinda stuff comes out

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/06/16/20100616phoenix-suns-steve-kerr-robert-sarver.html#comments

Therein lies the problem. For an organization that was so successful this season, morale around US Airways Center remains an issue. It's the big stuff, such as having to haggle over contracts on the heels of a profitable postseason. And the little stuff, such as Jason Richardson paying for teammates' breakfasts during the playoffs when a team normally would pick up the tab.
I can't even describe how I felt when I read that. Unfuckingbelievable.

This little embellished tidbit was pretty funny:

Sarver is no fool. He founded the National Bank of Tucson at age 23 and made a fortune in banking and real estate.
He did it with a brilliant business mind and great vision. Both can serve him well in the NBA. He needs to surround himself with people he can defer to as well, because most owners delve into territories in which they are unfamiliar.

More like he did it with a rich daddy who bought him a bank and helped him get it to a point where it was successful, and then used his connections to get his son involved in real estate. Do these writers seriously expect people to believe a 23 year old fresh out of college who probably has next to no money at the time built a bank from scratch on his own?

Findog
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
More like he did it with a rich daddy who bought him a bank and helped him get it to a point where it was successful, and then used his connections to get his son involved in real estate. Do these writers seriously expect people to believe a 23 year old fresh out of college who probably has next to no money at the time built a bank from scratch on his own?

Motherfucking cosigned sons. I could be a "brilliant" real estate tycoon too if I had a rich daddy.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
The man has lost close to a billion dollars since The Crash.

You try that.

eyeh8u
who ever wrote that article should be fired, started a bank my ass

eyeh8u
The man has lost close to a billion dollars since The Crash.

You try that.
'

are you still checking asshole?

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
'

are you still checking asshole?

Did the Suns skunk your ass?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Motherfucking cosigned sons. I could be a "brilliant" real estate tycoon too if I had a rich daddy.

:lol Heck, I wouldn't even need to be 23. I'm 19, and I could build a bank with a "brilliant business mind and great vision" if that means my daddy buying me the bank and running it to a point where it's successful and all I'd need to do is not screw up what my dad built.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
:lol Heck, I wouldn't even need to be 23. I'm 19, and I could build a bank with a "brilliant business mind and great vision" if that means my daddy buying me the bank and running it to a point where it's successful and all I'd need to do is not screw up what my dad built.

You're an asshole.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
It's also a matter of time before Gentry leaves. It's been 3 days since Kerr announced he wasn't returning and Sarver announced that Gentry will take on a larger role while they search for a new GM, and we haven't heard from Gentry at all about it. A year ago Sarver gave him the 3rd lowest coaching salary in the league for only two years, and at the same time as he announced he won't renegotiate Gentry's deal after Gentry was what many consider to be a top 3 coach this year, he says Gentry will have responsibilities that aren't in his contract at all. Gentry is undoubtedly irritated at how he's being treated right now, and that's rightfully so. I wouldn't be surprised if he's requesting permission to talk to Dan Gilbert in a week. Sarver profited a ton from the most playoff revenue he's had since 2006, and he fails to realize that revenue doesn't happen without Gentry and Kerr.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Why would Gentry leave? He's making his bones now. He's been working up the ladder for years, earning his onions, proving his worth, making his parents proud.

You cast Sarver down for his silver spoon, but, yet you cavalierly denounce Gentry for his path to success and predict he'll breach his contract.

You're an asshole.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Why would Gentry leave? He's making his bones now. He's been working up the ladder for years, earning his onions, proving his worth, making his parents proud.

You cast Sarver down for his silver spoon, but, yet you cavalierly denounce Gentry for his path to success and predict he'll breach his contract.

You're an asshole.

Breach his contract? Asking permission to talk to another team isn't breaching your contract, D'antoni did the exact same thing.

And the answer to why Gentry would leave is simple: there are teams out there willing to pay a heck of a lot more than Sarver is. Gentry should not be one of the lowest paid coaches in the NBA.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Breach his contract? Asking permission to talk to another team isn't breaching your contract, D'antoni did the exact same thing.

And the answer to why Gentry would leave is simple: there are teams out there willing to pay a heck of a lot more than Sarver is. Gentry should not be one of the lowest paid coaches in the NBA.

Gentry is going nowhere. He's not speaking to another team, he's not asking for a raise. He's going to continue to soldier because that's who he is.

And you're an asshole.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Gentry is going nowhere. He's not speaking to another team, he's not asking for a raise. He's going to continue to soldier because that's who he is.

And you're an asshole.

I hope you're right, the reason I'm saying this about Gentry is he hasn't come out to speak about this at all, it's been over 3 days since it happened, and someone who's generally friendly with the media seemingly fell off the face of the Earth. With the draft and free agency coming up, he's gotta be around somehow involved, and he hasn't publicly spoken about Kerr leaving at all.

ChrisRichards
06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
who ever wrote that article should be fired, started a bank my ass

Probably on Sarvers payroll.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I hope you're right, the reason I'm saying this about Gentry is he hasn't come out to speak about this at all, it's been over 3 days since it happened, and someone who's generally friendly with the media seemingly fell off the face of the Earth. With the draft and free agency coming up, he's gotta be around somehow involved, and he hasn't publicly spoken about Kerr leaving at all.

It's not Gentry's place to speak of these events in any way, shape, manner or form without the express consent of Sarver. Gentry serves exclusively at the behest of Sarver.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
The article is otherwise critical of Sarver to an extent for those who didn't read the whole thing, I just hate how every local Phoenix writer can't write an article slightly critical about Sarver without burying their head neck deep in his ass for part of it. This woulda been an overall GREAT article if it did't include the rosy drivel about how Sarver assembled a great trio of him Gentry and Kerr. Gentry was in the right place at the right time when Porter was fired, it's not like Sarver saw something in Gentry that no one else saw.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
It's not Gentry's place to speak of these events in any way, shape, manner or form without the express consent of Sarver. Gentry serves exclusively at the behest of Sarver.

Exactly. Don't you think it looks bad for Sarver that Gentry has been silent about the fact he has to take on more responsibility? Wouldn't it be better for Sarver if Gentry made some kind of positive statement that reassures the fans that he's still on board with the team and plans on being here long term? He seems really hesitant to come to his bosses rescue and that speaks volumes.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
This just gets worse and worse:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=kerrsuns-100616

Well, a second source indicated it wasn't as simple as a money grab by Kerr. He wanted more money for the coaching staff, video crew, front-office secretaries -- all the people who helped produce this unexpected trip to the conference finals that yielded more than $10 million in extra revenue from eight home playoff games. Except when Kerr went to bat with Sarver, "The guy just bludgeoned Steve," the second source said.

Also, for those who love to repeatedly blame Kerr for the Shaq trade disregarding the facts:

"They're trying to lay the Shaq trade on Steve," the source said. "He had about 10 percent to do with that." The source said Sarver and D'Antoni were primarily responsible.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
No. Sarver doesn't need Gentry to carry his water here. This is between Kerr, Sarver and Griffin. Something happened twixt these three in the last fortnight and it's between them. No need to get Gentry dirty as well. That'd be foolish & petty.

Gentry is a man's man, like Fitzsimmons. A contract is their bond. It's speaks for itself. Their signature on it makes coming out into the light and "made some kind of positive statement" vulgar and disrespectful to their master. Gentry ain't D'Antoni.

The appropriate pat on the ass by Bryant, the manly response by Gentry to it was all you need to know about Gentry.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Are you reading what I'm saying? The "positive statement" wouldn't be vulgar and disrespectful to their master. He'd be doing Sarver a favor. Right now Sarver is taking a beating, even Paola Boivin was able to take her orange glasses off and be critical of the environment Sarver has set up, and Gentry's silence on the issue is doing nothing to help him. If Gentry came out and said he still plans on being with this team long term, it would help Sarver out, but chances are Gentry at this point can't wait to follow Kerr out the door.

JamStone
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
These days breakfasts are more and more expensive. I mean, I just spent $1 the other day on a BK breakfast muffin.

Cane
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
....people were starting to respect Sarver?

toki9
06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I think Sarver didn't understand that he was negotiating with someone who didn't need the job--which is probably an unusual bargaining position for him. I think Kerr would have stayed if Sarver had agreed to pay the support staff like Kerr asked him to do. I don't think this was about personal finances for Kerr, but about treating people who work for you decently--and Kerr wanted out when he realized that the owner didn't share his philosophy.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think it's commendable that Kerr tried to get raises for the support staff when he really didn't have to--in fact, it's the kind of thing that's rarely done anywhere.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Are you reading what I'm saying? The "positive statement" wouldn't be vulgar and disrespectful to their master. He'd be doing Sarver a favor. Right now Sarver is taking a beating, even Paola Boivin was able to take her orange glasses off and be critical of the environment Sarver has set up, and Gentry's silence on the issue is doing nothing to help him. If Gentry came out and said he still plans on being with this team long term, it would help Sarver out, but chances are Gentry at this point can't wait to follow Kerr out the door.

Of course it would be v & d. Sarver doesn't need Gentry to save his ass. Sarver has done nothing wrong. He's simply reaping the whirlwind now. He's already forted up (you could hear it in his voice inflection on G & A yesterday).

Sarver has gotten inside the wire, back up against the cement wall, probably his wife at his side (ain't nothin' better than the brotherhood of a wife at your side) and he'll take them one at-a-time as they come over the wire for him.

Matzel, Matzel, good things.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Of course it would be v & d. Sarver doesn't need Gentry to save his ass. Sarver has done nothing wrong. He's simply reaping the whirlwind now. He's already forted up (you could hear it in his voice inflection on G & A yesterday).

Sarver has gotten inside the wire, back up against the cement wall, probably his wife at his side (ain't nothin' better than the brotherhood of a wife at your side) and he'll take them one at-a-time as they come over the wire for him.

Matzel, Matzel, good things.

Idk how you can say Sarver hasn't done anything wrong. 3 weeks ago, Kerr couldn't wait to renegotiate a new deal, and something went on where all the sudden he wants to spend more time with his family. Sarver undoubtedly did something to put a sour taste in his mouth about resigning with the team. You don't randomly have a change of heart that quickly.

Since his interview on G & A, there has been an article from Boivin and this article from Adande that strongly question's how Sarver handles his employees and what kind of environment he's set up in Phoenix. As long as Gentry stays mum on this and doesn't come out to confirm his loyalty to the team, there's gonna be speculation about a possible urge from Gentry to follow Kerr out the door whenever he gets the chance.

Just outa curiosity Cully, do you think there's a chance Sarver is setting things up to sell the team in 2 years? He doesn't wanna give any long term money out, there's virtually no contracts on this roster that go longterm, things are pointing towards them being a very ideal team to buy in 2 years.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Idk how you can say Sarver hasn't done anything wrong. 3 weeks ago, Kerr couldn't wait to renegotiate a new deal, and something went on where all the sudden he wants to spend more time with his family. Sarver undoubtedly did something to put a sour taste in his mouth about resigning with the team. You don't randomly have a change of heart that quickly.

Since his interview on G & A, there has been an article from Boivin and this article from Adande that strongly question's how Sarver handles his employees and what kind of environment he's set up in Phoenix. As long as Gentry stays mum on this and doesn't come out to confirm his loyalty to the team, there's gonna be speculation about a possible urge from Gentry to follow Kerr out the door whenever he gets the chance.

Just outa curiosity Cully, do you think there's a chance Sarver is setting things up to sell the team in 2 years? He doesn't wanna give any long term money out, there's virtually no contracts on this roster that go longterm, things are pointing towards them being a very ideal team to buy in 2 years.

He can't sell it now. It's worth less than he paid. Colangelo sold too high for Sarver to make a profit in a Crash economy.

He can't sell it now. Nobody is going to buy it until a new contract is signed and the fallout from that contract is FULLY realized.

We don't know what went on twixt those 3 in the last week. We'll never know because it's he said/he said. Sure, Media is getting their talking points and marching orders ready to see who they'll back, but, the truth will never see light.

toki9
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Seems like Sarver is bleeding money...his company Western Alliance Bancorporation is currently trading between $7 and $8 a share, a huge depreciation from its peak in mid-2006 of about $38-$39 a share. As of '06, Sarver's stake was about $150 million, so it's understandable why he might not be in the mood to spend...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
He can't sell it now. It's worth less than he paid. Colangelo sold too high for Sarver to make a profit in a Crash economy.

He can't sell it now. Nobody is going to buy it until a new contract is signed and the fallout from that contract is FULLY realized.

We don't know what went on twixt those 3 in the last week. We'll never know because it's he said/he said. Sure, Media is getting their talking points and marching orders ready to see who they'll back, but, the truth will never see light.

Well according to Forbes, at the end of 2009, the value of the team was $29,000,000 more than the $400mil he bought it for:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/32/basketball-values-09_NBA-Team-Valuations_Income.html

Obviously no one is gonna buy until the new CBA is signed, but by the time it is, this team is gonna have little to no longterm contract obligations for players, coaches or FO positions. Chances are it's not, but this could be Sarver's plan.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Seems like Sarver is bleeding money...his company Western Alliance Bancorporation is currently trading between $7 and $8 a share, a huge depreciation from its peak in mid-2006 of about $38-$39 a share. As of '06, Sarver's stake was about $150 million, so it's understandable why he might not be in the mood to spend...

Like I said earlier: he's lost a billion dollars since The Crash.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Well according to Forbes, at the end of 2009, the value of the team was $29,000,000 more than the $400mil he bought it for:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/32/basketball-values-09_NBA-Team-Valuations_Income.html

Obviously no one is gonna buy until the new CBA is signed, but by the time it is, this team is gonna have little to no longterm contract obligations for players, coaches or FO positions. Chances are it's not, but this could be Sarver's plan.

That's pie in the sky. I got basketball cards here that are worth thousands of dollars according to the book.

Please.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Like I said earlier: he's lost a billion dollars since The Crash.

I find that hard to believe since I don't think he was ever worth a billion.

toki9
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I find that hard to believe since I don't think he was ever worth a billion.

I believe he was worth between $440 and $550 million at his peak...

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, its what I read and it was in a business magazine in the dentist office.

Sisk
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, its what I read and it was in a business magazine in the dentist office.

:lmao

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm sure losing a billion dollars wasn't :lmao to him.

ploto
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
And the little stuff, such as Jason Richardson paying for teammates' breakfasts during the playoffs when a team normally would pick up the tab.

NBA players get $113 per diem for road games, and as far as I recall, that includes the play-offs.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
NBA players get $113 per diem for road games, and as far as I recall, that includes the play-offs.

The girl that wrote the article (Paola Boivin) has apologized.

Giuseppe
06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Today 09:10 AM
bobster (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?40-bobster)
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/statusicon/user-online.png
All Starhttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/ranks/allstar.jpghttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.pnghttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=40&dateline=1267027587 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?40-bobster)Join DateNov 2003Posts1,513
http://www.phxsuns.net/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Can we trade Sarver and cash considerations for a 1st round pick in the owners dr

i hate to tell you guys, but robert sarver's 6-year tenure as owner (2004-2010) has been one of most successful runs in franchise history, right alongside the 7-year stretch from 1988-1995.

BadOdor
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Sons, c'mon now. You studying accounting, you should know what the time value of money is!!

pauls931
06-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Damn, sarver needs to be hit by a train. I'm sick of this guy... Can't some rich arabs or carlos slim buy the suns?

pawe
06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
And the little stuff, such as Jason Richardson paying for teammates' breakfasts during the playoffs when a team normally would pick up the tab.

The girl that wrote the article (Paola Boivin) has apologized.

Boivin, that dumb bitch didnt include the whole report, instead, she left the important details on her blog site.
Local radio media said Jrich wanted to buy the team breakfast since they just won a playoff game. Sarver heard about it and thought it was a good gesture so he bought the team breakfast himself for the next 19 games. The team gets catered lunch after practices paid for by the team.

angelbelow
06-17-2010, 09:49 PM
wow thats horrible