PDA

View Full Version : New HBO documentary exposes gas drilling hazards

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM, Associated Press Writer Michael Rubinkam, Associated Press Writer – 40 mins ago
MILANVILLE, Pa. – What do you do when a gas company offers nearly $100,000 for the right to drill on your land?

If you're Josh Fox, you refuse the money — then make an award-winning documentary portraying the natural gas industry as an environmental menace that ruins water, air and lives.

In "Gasland," premiering Monday at 9 p.m. EDT on HBO, Fox presents a frightening scenario in which tens of thousands of drilling rigs take over the landscape, gas companies exploit legal loopholes to inject toxins into the ground and residents living nearby contract severe, unexplained illnesses.

This isn't some dystopian nightmare, Fox says, but the harsh reality in communities from Texas to Colorado to Pennsylvania. "People are feeling completely upended," the 37-year-old filmmaker said in an interview at his woodland home near the Pennsylvania-New York border, where gas companies have been leasing thousands of acres of pristine watershed land in anticipation of a drilling boom.

Fox says the natural gas industry is selling the American public a lie. The industry calls "Gasland" a deeply flawed piece of propaganda.

Whatever the truth, Fox's film arrives at a fraught time. Between the Gulf oil spill and several recent mishaps involving natural gas extraction, the public is focused on energy — and the increasingly complicated ways we are getting it.

Just as the Gulf catastrophe illustrated the hazards of unchecked deep-water oil drilling, so, too, are gas companies failing to make investments that will safeguard the environment when something goes wrong, Fox argues.

"After a while, the gas rig just seemed like a car made in 1890 ... something fundamentally unsafe," he declares in "Gasland." He wonders aloud whether it's better to force gas companies to clean up their act "or just say, 'The hell with it. Can't we build a solar panel instead?'" :p:
Bespectacled, unshaven and the product of "hippie parents," Fox made his name as an avant-garde theater director in New York City. He took an interest in drilling after a gas company approached him in 2008 about leasing his family's wooded 20-acre spread in Milanville, near the Delaware River, where he has lived since childhood.

To Fox, the offer seemed too good to be true.

"That was nearly $100,000 right in my hands," he says in the film. "Could it be that easy?"

Intent on finding out, he casts himself in the role of a "natural gas drilling detective," hopping into his beat-up 1992 Toyota for a cross-country tour of places where large-scale drilling is already under way.

He begins in Dimock, Pa., where an exploding water well revealed methane contamination that has ruined residents' drinking water supplies. He's handed a jar of mysterious yellow-brown liquid and asked to find out what's in it, setting up the film's principal drama.

From there, Fox heads west. He hears the same story in town after town: contaminated water; fouled air; mysterious illnesses; a deceived citizenry; regulators who aren't regulating.

Fox struggles to remain optimistic, but the sheer enormity of it all — a drilling campaign in more than half the states — wears him down.

"I wanted to get out of Gasland as fast as I could, but there was nowhere to go," he says in the film.

"Gasland" has won critical acclaim — including a special jury prize at the Sundance Film Festival — but the industry has challenged its veracity. A 4,000-word rebuttal by a coalition of gas and oil producers asserts that Fox botched the facts, misstating the drilling process and the regulations that govern it, and spotlighting citizens whose claims have already been investigated and debunked.

"The object of the film is to shock, and not to enlighten," said Chris Tucker, spokesman for the Energy in Depth coalition. "If that's the kind of project you're trying to do, you're not going to let a few silly facts get in the way."

Fox insists that "Gasland" is accurate, rejecting the Energy in Depth analysis as a "ridiculous mischaracterization" of the film.

"The industry smears anybody who comes out and says what's actually happening. That's the kind of tactic they're well-known for," he said.

If gas companies are his primary target, "Gasland" apportions plenty of blame to politicians and bureaucrats, including former Vice President Dick Cheney — who helped craft an energy bill that critics say exempted a controversial drilling technique from regulatory oversight — and the Obama administration.

"We're still asleep at the wheel," Weston Wilson, an Environmental Protection Agency scientist, whistle-blower and industry critic, tells Fox. "And don't assume, because Obama got elected, that something's changed at the EPA."

Fox is screening "Gasland" in towns throughout Pennsylvania and New York, hoping it will persuade on-the-fence homeowners to tell the gas companies to scram.

The same companies, meanwhile, are still trying to lease Fox's land. The latest offer arrived just a few weeks ago.

"Apparently, they didn't get the memo," said Fox, chortling. "Unbelievable!"
------------------------------------------

One has to wonder.

The "controversial drilling technique" is probably "fracking", where solvents and so forth are injected into a well to boost production.

When done according to standard this is supposed to be done deep below the earth's surface, where it won't affect the water table.

Is there anybody who doubts that some companies, to maximize their profits, have cut corners on safety or used this technique in places that are much shallower?

boutons_deux
06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Corps are guilty until proven innocent.

I heard some people in NY who were deeply regretting letting the drillers onto their property for the Marcellus shale.

Yeah, they're making some royalty money, but the trucks, lights, and noise are going 24-hours/day, plus the property is torn up. Never again, they say.

TeyshaBlue
06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
One has to wonder.

The "controversial drilling technique" is probably "fracking", where solvents and so forth are injected into a well to boost production.

When done according to standard this is supposed to be done deep below the earth's surface, where it won't affect the water table.

Is there anybody who doubts that some companies, to maximize their profits, have cut corners on safety or used this technique in places that are much shallower?

Yeah, I wonder about that too. However, in my days in the oil and gas business, now 3 decades ago (:wow, screw me, I'm old!) we hired out all fracturing. Most contract frac houses, at the time, seemed pretty insistent on seeing the geology reports and determining whether or not the frac job was warranted. I dunno...might be a completely different game now.

InRareForm
06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
when does this air?

jack sommerset
06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
when does this air?

2night

word
06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't watch an HBO documentary if you put a gun to my head. MSNBC with a few movies tossed in and some really good entertainment programming, ( sopranos et al ) but their political stuff is pure crap. Propaganda.

baseline bum
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
What if they put a gun to your crotch? Would you watch then?

jack sommerset
06-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm going to watch the beverly hillbillies movie tonight. The oil biz made old Jed a millionaire! "Oil that is, black gold, Texas style"

DMX7
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
What if they put a gun to your crotch? Would you watch then?

LOL, that's the stuff of an All-SpursTalk performer. Well done, sir. Well done.

clambake
06-21-2010, 07:06 PM
The oil biz made old Jed a millionaire! "Oil that is, black gold, Texas style"

is there one thing that you can't fuck up regarding oil?

is there?

DarrinS
06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Here's a promo

EWVyJ-YG3ew

word
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Here's a promo

EWVyJ-YG3ew

I love that video. Mourning the 'death of a tree' while...surrounded by....trees.
Were they mourning a stump in a desert it would be so much more effective.

ps. One needs only to fly from Chicago to Anchorage to realize, there is no shortage of....trees. Or water for that matter.

I also wonder when 'extreme environmentalism' will show up in the DSM manual. That and a lot of other 'out of touch with reality' causes.

balli
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I can't wait until some of y'all and your families die slow, painful degenerative deaths due to chromium and benzine exposure. Especially Jackoff and his shit family. I watched that shit and all I can say is that I truly hope Darrin, Jack and word live in the Ft. Worth area. You stupid fucks are a few of a few who would deserve it.

Wild Cobra
06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Is this another Michael Moore-on documentary?

jack sommerset
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
. I watched that shit and all I can say is that I truly hope Darrin, Jack and word live in the Ft. Worth area. You stupid fucks are a few of a few who would deserve it.

That's disturbing.

The funniest thing they said last night was some dude would be sparking up the grill to make some burgers and blow up the whole town!

DarrinS
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I love that video. Mourning the 'death of a tree' while...surrounded by....trees.
Were they mourning a stump in a desert it would be so much more effective.

ps. One needs only to fly from Chicago to Anchorage to realize, there is no shortage of....trees. Or water for that matter.

I also wonder when 'extreme environmentalism' will show up in the DSM manual. That and a lot of other 'out of touch with reality' causes.

I wonder what materials were used to build these folks' homes?

DarrinS
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I can't wait until some of y'all and your families die slow, painful degenerative deaths due to chromium and benzine exposure. Especially Jackoff and his shit family. I watched that shit and all I can say is that I truly hope Darrin, Jack and word live in the Ft. Worth area. You stupid fucks are a few of a few who would deserve it.

Such venom and vitriol.

boutons_deux
06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Corporate Gas Drilling Buries Indonesian Town in Methane Mud (Video)

http://www.truth-out.org/java-a-city-swallowed-mud60615?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TRUTHOUT+%28t+r+u+t+h+o+u+t+| +News+Politics%29

Wild Cobra
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Corporate Gas Drilling Buries Indonesian Town in Methane Mud (Video)

http://www.truth-out.org/java-a-city-swallowed-mud60615?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TRUTHOUT+%28t+r+u+t+h+o+u+t+| +News+Politics%29

Even the video doesn't claim the fault of the drilling as a certainty. It does point out the earthquake. This is most likely nature at work.

RandomGuy
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Even the video doesn't claim the fault of the drilling as a certainty. It does point out the earthquake. This is most likely nature at work.

So basically what you are saying is that despite our best efforts, and the guarantees of the industry, the chemicals in the fracking process will end up in the water supplies anyways through natural earthquake activity?

I had not thought about that.

All the more reason to limit the process, IMO. I care much less about temporary natural gas production, and more about permanent contamination of water supplies that cannot be corrected. Do you agree?

Wild Cobra
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
So basically what you are saying is that despite our best efforts, and the guarantees of the industry, the chemicals in the fracking process will end up in the water supplies anyways through natural earthquake activity?

All the more reason to limit the process, IMO. I care much less about temporary natural gas production, and more about permanent contamination of water supplies that cannot be corrected. Do you agree?
I'm not stating any particular conclusion. just that it cannot be factually stated the drilling caused the problems.

Now in this case, I will agree the drilling was a bad choice. Only because it is in a very heavy earthquake zone.

Do we drill near the San Andreas fault? If so, we shouldn't.

TeyshaBlue
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM

This just popped up locally...new update:
http://www.wfaa.com/news/Cancer-causing-toxins-found-in-southeast-Fort-Worth-96895604.html

I've own rental properties in North Ft. Worth. Chesapeake has been sending offers for drilling offsets in our area. I'm torn. Either I flat out refuse them, or I cash in now while I still can.:lol

InRareForm
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
wild cobra you love picking the other side and debating.

Wild Cobra
06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
wild cobra you love picking the other side and debating.
Almost correct.

On issues I haven't drawn a conclusion of, I like to point out the possibilities I think are being overlooked.

Yonivore
06-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Since when did gas drilling hazards need exposing? I've always known it was dangerous. I'm glad there are people willing to get that stuff out of the ground so I can boil water.

Wild Cobra
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Since when did gas drilling hazards need exposing? I've always known it was dangerous. I'm glad there are people willing to get that stuff out of the ground so I can boil water.
You have to remember. Today's schools don't teach as they once did. A high school diploma today isn't worth your 8th grade education.

ChumpDumper
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
What did they teach you about modern gas drilling in grade school?

Wild Cobra
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
What did they teach you about modern gas drilling in grade school?
They didn't. They did teach common sense rather than indoctrination however.

Winehole23
06-23-2010, 02:31 AM
I wouldn't watch an HBO documentary if you put a gun to my head. MSNBC with a few movies tossed in and some really good entertainment programming, ( sopranos et al ) but their political stuff is pure crap. Propaganda.Examples, please?

I don't pay for extra things like HBO, so I'm completely in the dark about what you're referring to.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2010, 03:21 AM
They didn't. They did teach common sense rather than indoctrination however.So what do current teachers indoctrinate about the safety of gas extraction today?

Give examples.

Wild Cobra
06-23-2010, 03:23 AM
So what do current teachers indoctrinate about the safety of gas extraction today?

Give examples.
Why are you such a fool. Common sense is not about any single subject.

Why do you think people are stupid enough to fall for your pathetic tricks?

ChumpDumper
06-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Why are you such a fool. Common sense is not about any single subject.

Why do you think people are stupid enough to fall for your pathetic tricks?So your saying that no one has ever taught anything about gas extraction, past or present.

Why do you think people are stupid enough to fall for your propaganda?

Wild Cobra
06-23-2010, 03:29 AM
So your saying that no one has ever taught anything about gas extraction, past or present.

Why do you think people are stupid enough to fall for your propaganda?
Why do you keep asking such idiotic questions?

ChumpDumper
06-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Why do you keep asking such idiotic questions?Because the people I ask get butthurt like you are now.

Had you produced any evidence that schools are indoctrinating kids to think that natural gas extraction is in no way dangerous, you might have been onto something. It's not my fault your propaganda falls part under the slightest scrutiny.

RandomGuy
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Earthquake in Toronto (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157051)

What areas of the us are prone to earthquakes? (http://www.essortment.com/all/areasuspronee_tvbb.htm)

...Plate boundary quakes created many mountain ranges in the United States, including the Wasatch Range in Utah. Earthquakes continue to occur every 350 years along the Wasatch fault.

A movement within the plates can also trigger an earthquake. These movements amass stress deep within the plate and at the edges of the plate, creating weak zones that trigger the occurrence of a trembler. Earthquakes of this type are typical for intercontinental areas. Movement within the North American Plate was responsible for a massive quake in 1812 that leveled the city of New Madrid, Missouri and affected six states in the Mississippi River Valley, including Ohio, Kentucky, Arkansas, Illinois, and Tennessee. The effects of the New Madrid quake were felt in states as far as Virginia and Massachusetts. The Charleston quake of 1886 is another example. Sixty people died in the one-minute trembler that affected a 120-mile radius.

Earthquakes are sure to occur where there is a fault. Faults result in the displacement of rocks in the Earth’s crust. Three types of faults exist. Normal faults result in the displacement of young rocks over older rocks. Examples include the Death Valley Fault in California, the Sevier Fault in Utah, and the Conjugate Normal Fault in Canyonlands National Park in Southern Utah. Reverse thrust faults occur when older rocks displace younger rocks. Examples of reverse thrust faults include the Lewis and Fold Thrusts in Montana. A third fault type, called the strike-slip fault, occurs in areas where there is side-by-side displacement of the rocks. Las Vegas, Nevada and Coos Bay in Oregon experience strike-slip faults. The San Andreas Fault in California also exhibits strike-slip motion, and quakes may occur every 50 to 200 years along segments of this particular fault...

going back to the possibility of a shift in the earths crust shifting the nasty chemicals used in fracking into water supplies...

RandomGuy
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM

So what would you do if they started injecting nasty chemicals underground and drilling for natural gas in your area, then suddenly your water was contaminated with chemicals and/or methane?

Serious, honest question.

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Earthquake in Toronto (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157051)

What areas of the us are prone to earthquakes? (http://www.essortment.com/all/areasuspronee_tvbb.htm)

going back to the possibility of a shift in the earths crust shifting the nasty chemicals used in fracking into water supplies...

Ruh Roh! Check this out, RG.
http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2010/03/11/hydro-fracking-and-earthquakes-uh-oh/

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Saltwater disposal might actually cause problematic frac jobs?

Yonivore
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
So what would you do if they started injecting nasty chemicals underground and drilling for natural gas in your area, then suddenly your water was contaminated with chemicals and/or methane?

Serious, honest question.
Well, you'll have to be specific on what are the "nasty chemicals," but, I imagine, I'd work to halt the practice and join any suits brought to cause the offending company to make us whole again.

Now, for a real life incident...

MTBE (http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/unregulated/mtbe.html)

Difference being, MTBEs were an oxygenate mandated by the EPA in gasoline. Try suing the government and getting redress, eh? The other big difference is once MTBEs are in your water supply, they're in your water supply...last I heard, there was no way to filter it back out.

I specifically linked the EPA description of MTBE because, well, they fail to mention why MTBEs are a problem to begin with...it's because they mandated them in one of their hair-brained emissions standards.

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, you'll have to be specific on what are the "nasty chemicals," but, I imagine, I'd work to halt the practice and join any suits brought to cause the offending company to make us whole again.

Now, for a real life incident...

MTBE (http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/unregulated/mtbe.html)

Difference being, MTBEs were an oxygenate mandated by the EPA in gasoline. Try suing the government and getting redress, eh? The other big difference is once MTBEs are in your water supply, they're in your water supply...last I heard, there was no way to filter it back out.

I specifically linked the EPA description of MTBE because, well, they fail to mention why MTBEs are a problem to begin with...it's because they mandated them in one of their hair-brained emissions standards.

Bad comparison. There's a world of difference in trying to sue the EPA vs. suing, say, Chesapeake Energy.
The MTBE fiasco was one for the record books tho. Google Ed Wallace MTBE and sit down for some good reading on the subject.

One of the nastier components showing up in our water supply, locally, is benzine.