PDA

View Full Version : GOP lawmaker apologizes for apologizing to BP exec

RandomGuy
06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer Laurie Kellman, Associated Press Writer – 1 min ago

WASHINGTON – Who's sorry now? Rep. Joe Barton, that's who.

The Texas Republican, recipient of $100,470 in oil industry campaign contributions, apologized Thursday for apologizing to the chief of the British company that befouled the Gulf of Mexico with a massive oil spill.

His double mea culpa plus a retraction, executed under pressure from fuming GOP leaders, succeeded in shifting attention from the tragedy, BP's many missteps and the stoic British oil chief at the witness table, to his own party's close connection to the oil industry.

The subject of Barton's ire was the $20 billion relief fund for victims of the spill sought by the White House and agreed to by BP.

"I apologize," Barton said to BP CEO Tony Hayward, who was sitting at a witness table for another of Congress' ritual floggings of wayward corporate heads.

"I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong is subject to some sort of political pressure that is — again, in my words, amounts to a shakedown," Barton said. "So I apologize."

Cue the outrage — from Republicans, who came close to stripping Barton of his post as chairman-in-waiting of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. GOP leaders summoned Barton to the Capitol and demanded he apologize in specific terms. The leaders threatened to launch a process to strip Barton of his seniority on the powerful panel, a particularly painful threat to any long-term lawmaker, according to two knowledgeable Republican officials who demanded anonymity so they could speak freely about private meetings.

But it was the notion of an American lawmaker apologizing to a foreign head of a corporation that had caused great hardships for millions of Gulf Coast residents that incited rare Republican-on-Republican rage. Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., became the first in his party to demand that Barton be stripped of his seniority. During a House vote later in the day, other Republicans pressed their leaders for Barton's punishment — and at least two in the leadership were still considering that option, the officials said.

As Barton returned to the committee, the leaders issued their own statement:

"Congressman Barton's statements this morning were wrong."

Vice President Joe Biden weighed in — lightheartedly at first, red-faced by the end.

"I find it incredibly insensitive, incredibly out of touch," Biden told reporters. "There's no shakedown. It's insisting on responsible conduct and a responsible response to something they caused."

Democrats, eager to tie Republicans to the oil industry during this midterm election year, piled on.

"While people in the Gulf are suffering from the actions of BP, the Republicans in the Congress are apologizing to BP," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said.

By midafternoon, Barton was back on the dais with a statement that was something short of what the leaders had demanded.

"I want the record to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident," he said. "If anything I said this morning has been misconstrued, in opposite effect, I want to apologize for that misconstruction."

Barton then issued, and Boehner's office forwarded out a somewhat different written statement.

"I apologize for using the term 'shakedown' with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House this morning, and I retract my apology to BP," it began, and finished: "I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident."

:lmao

Barton has received $100,470 in campaign donations from oil and gas interests since the beginning of 2009, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.
----------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I hate to play the schadenfreude card, but this was too rich to pass up.

On second thought, I retract that apology... :p:

sook
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't think anyone takes the GOP seriously anymore...

boutons_deux
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
GOPer’s Groveling Apology to BP CEO Sets Off Firestorm — Florida Republican Tells Him to Resign

Posted By mattcorley On June 17, 2010 @ 12:42 pm In Uncategorized | 2 Comments

This post originally appeared on Think Progress.

Earlier this morning, Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) called the $20 billion escrow fund BP agreed to set up yesterday to pay for oil spill damages a “slush fund” resulting from a “shakedown” by the White House. Though many conservatives agree with Barton, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) refused to endorse Barton’s position. Now, Rep. Jeff Miller (R-FL) has called for Barton to step down as the ranking member of the Energy and Commerce Committee because of his comments:

Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), whose Pensacola district is among the most-impacted areas in the Gulf by the oil spill, condemned Barton for apologizing to BP CEO Tony Hayward during a committee meeting on Thursday.

“I condemn Mr. Barton’s statement. Mr. Barton’s remarks are out of touch with this tragedy and I feel his comments call into question his judgment and ability to serve in a leadership on the Energy and Commerce Committee,” Miller said in a statement. “He should step down as Ranking Member of the Committee.”

UPDATEBarton will soon have to step down anyway as House Republicans decided in February to “stick with six-year term limits for top Republicans on House committees.”
UPDATEBarton tells Politico that he has no plans to step down prematurely from his spot on the committee. Louisiana Republican Steve Scalise said, “I don’t think anybody should be apologizing to Tony Hayward. I think he should be apologizing to the Gulf States.”
UPDATERep. Adam Putnam (R-FL) says Barton “owes the people of the gulf coast an apology, not the CEO of the company that caused this mess.”

Article printed from SpeakEasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

URL to article: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/06/17/gopers-groveling-apology-to-bp-ceo-sets-off-firestorm-florida-republican-tells-him-to-resign/

boutons_deux
06-17-2010, 04:16 PM
The reason Repugs, Fox, and hate media and hate talking heads will say just any old outrageous shit is that they know there are millions of dumbfucks who listen and take them seriously.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
crookshanks' rep thought he could just parrot a Limbaugh line and he'd be a hero.

jack sommerset
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Obongo is at 42 percent approval rating. That is about a 30 point drop in 18 months. How serious do you think people take him? A few more points he is right there with Bush.

EVAY
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
This guy is reported to have taken more funds from oil and gas interests than any member of Congress presently sitting.

The same artricle that RG quoted reports that his campaign contributions from oil and gas over his career total about 1.4 Million.

That's a lotta crude.

EVAY
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
The GOP leadership is apoplectic about this idiot because he has just handed the Democratic party a great big stick with which to beat on Republicans this fall.

PublicOption
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM

I don't :nope

Das Texan
06-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Smokey Joe is hilarious.

He never ceases to amaze me.

PublicOption
06-17-2010, 08:15 PM
i certainly hope tea party people can now see through these assholes and understand the gop is using them.....WAKE THE FUCK UP.

PublicOption
06-17-2010, 08:18 PM
......and people think the GOP was "for the people, of the people, by the people" WHATEVER! LOL.

sook
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Obongo is at 42 percent approval rating. That is about a 30 point drop in 18 months. How serious do you think people take him? A few more points he is right there with Bush.

yea i know? They both suck.

But the dems are still the lesser of the two evils.

Obama is a moron, but the republicans are unethical fucks that don't give a fuck about the people, its partisan bullshit first with them.

jack sommerset
06-17-2010, 09:34 PM
yea i know? They both suck.

But the dems are still the lesser of the two evils.

Obama is a moron, but the republicans are unethical fucks that don't give a fuck about the people, its partisan bullshit first with them.

Don't tell me the demons are lesser of the two evils. Not this administration. That is bullshit. Obama is spending us into bankruptcy. He lies, bribes, insults, he is a pig.

Crookshanks
06-17-2010, 10:12 PM
crookshanks' rep thought he could just parrot a Limbaugh line and he'd be a hero.

How nice that you're still thinking about me; however, I moved to Fort Worth and Joe Barton is no longer my rep. I guess I ruined your clever little quip. :lol

ChumpDumper
06-17-2010, 10:13 PM
How nice that you're still thinking about me; however, I moved to Fort Worth and Joe Barton is no longer my rep. I guess I ruined your clever little quip. :lolNo, it's even better now.

Parker2112
06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Don't tell me the demons are lesser of the two evils. Not this administration. That is bullshit. Obama is spending us into bankruptcy. He lies, bribes, insults, he is a pig.

Fuck that shit. Before Obama ever came into office he was briefed by the Bush admin about how bad things were...we didn't have a choice. If Mccain had won, If Bush had somehow stolen another four years, whoever was in office the money would have been spent.

Your govt likes to spend, regardless of which party. Think about how easy it is to align your own interests with the flow of cash...Dems or Rep., everyone is on the take. Wake the fuck up.

Nbadan
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Rep. Joe Barton of Texas was a recipient of $ 100,470 from Big Oil And Gas in 2010...in 1982 he worked as a natural gas decontrol consultant for Atlantic Richfield Oil and Gas Company before being elected to Congress.....RCO (an acronym for Atlantic Richfield Company) is a subsidiary of, you guessed it, British Petroleum, per wikipedia...

Nbadan
06-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Barton's biggest single corporate contributor, Anadarko Petroleum, is a 25 percent stakeholder in the Macondo Prospect, site of the Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf of Mexico. Individuals and PACs associated with Anadarko have given Barton's campaigns $146,500 since the 1990 election cycle. Political blog FiveThirtyEight highlights this fact in this report."

(snip)

" Additional Center for Responsive Politics analysis shows that Barton's candidate committee and leadership PAC combined have received $1.67 million from the oil and gas industry since the 1990 election cycle."

Open Secrets (http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/06/barton-likes-bp-and-they-like-him-b-1.html)

Nbadan
06-17-2010, 11:45 PM
GOP leaders summoned Barton to the Capitol and demanded he apologize in specific terms. The leaders threatened to launch a process to strip Barton of his position as ranking Republican on the powerful panel, according to two Republican officials who demanded anonymity.

As Barton returned to the committee, the leaders issued their own statement: "Congressman Barton's statements this morning were wrong."

By midafternoon, Barton was back on the dais with a statement that was something short of what the leaders had demanded.

"I want the record to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident," he said. "If anything I said this morning has been misconstrued, in opposite effect, I want to apologize for that misconstruction."

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37759828/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf)