PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor cut my grass without asking!

rr2418
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
My next door neighbor cut my grass without asking me and would you believe it....they'll except whatever we want to give them..like $25? My grass wasn't even high! I came home from work and I thought what the.....??? My neighbors are o.k. people but still I don't think I should pay them for something I didn't ask. What do ya'll think?

JMarkJohns
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I think you should give them your two cents!

CosmicCowboy
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Give him $25, then mow his next week and change him $50.

lil'mo
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Pay them with thanks

The Reckoning
06-17-2010, 05:22 PM
its probably the 12 year old kid next door working on mowing lawns this summer to afford his new catcher's mitt.

you miser!

Spurminator
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
wtf? Your neighbor mowed your lawn and asked for payment? Or did you offer first?

Because if they did it then asked for payment that's like the homeless guys who wipe your windows down at a traffic light. I might give him $20 just to avoid a hassle but I'd ask him not to do it again.

Bukefal
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
My next door neighbor cut my grass without asking me and would you believe it....they'll except whatever we want to give them..like $25? My grass wasn't even high! I came home from work and I thought what the.....??? My neighbors are o.k. people but still I don't think I should pay them for something I didn't ask. What do ya'll think?

lol so they cut it without asking or without you knowing and then they ask for something in return? That's crazy.

Anyway, you shouldn't be giving them anything. If you do, then just give them a bottle of wine or something and tell them next time to not cut the grass anymore.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd kindly tell them to get fucked.

Drachen
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
$25 for a front lawn?? F-that. $20 for an entire lawn MAYBE. Either way its free as far as I am concerned. They will learn not to do it again. I used to mow my neighbor's lawn for free every time I did mine because she was elderly and very small.

tlongII
06-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Win!

rr2418
06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I'll probably give them $10 and let them know "kindly" that I'll mow my own lawn.

Scola
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Two approaches you can take.

1) You can give them nothing ($0), this way they will know not to do it again. Just tell them that your don't have anything extra money. They might think your cheap but you didn't ask for the service.

2) Give them a few dollars? $10? Downside to this is that it will encourage them and it might happen again. Make sure to tell them it will not be a regular thing.

Your neighbors are probably going through some bad times money-wise. Still it was very sneaky to do the job first and then guilt you into giving them money. I personally would give them a few dollars to avoid trouble but ask them not to do it again.

Do you have a fence? I usually have a "No trespassing" & a "No soliciting" sign on my fence. I would be kind upset if they went into my yard when I wasn't home. Consider locking your fence doors.

Bukefal
06-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll probably give them $10 and let them know "kindly" that I'll mow my own lawn.

Man, you shouldn't be giving them anything.

But, If you already decide to give them something, then I would not give them money, but something else. Giving them money, is pretty stupid, they got what they wanted and the goal of their rude behavior.

Give them a bottle of wine/ pack of beer or something as a thank you small gift, not as a payment. It sends a different signal, then giving them money. With giving them money it looks like payment for nothing and then you will reward their sneakiness and rudeness.

Or promise them to mow their lawn the next time in return lol

Amarelooms
06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Give them $15 or so and say I don't want it mowed again thanks though

:elephant

greyforest
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I would not give them money, but something else. Giving them money, is pretty stupid, they got what they wanted and the goal of their rude behavior.

Give them a bottle of wine/ pack of beer or something as a thank you small gift, not as a payment. It sends a different signal, then giving them money. With giving them money it looks like payment for nothing and then you will reward their sneakiness and rudeness.

SpursWoman
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Our neighbor does that ... it freaks my daughter out. He even scalped our front hedges which really pissed me off. lol

He hasn't asked for money, but I believe he has big plans for Chris to help him build a deck or someshit. lol

Das Texan
06-17-2010, 06:37 PM
My neighbor is currently building a 3 foot high fence on both sides of his front yard. I think its going to look dumb as shit, but whatever he wants to do I guess.

I just smiled and told him, it will probably look real good when its done.

Blake
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
give them $100

and then when they try to mow your yard again

castle doctrine

:lol

then take the $100 back out of their pocket

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
so i see he shave ur pubes, did he play on it

Stringer_Bell
06-17-2010, 07:08 PM
My neighbor pulled a weed eater on my lawn without me asking. He didn't ask for anything, I think he was just ashamed for me cuz my lawn sucks. I think he wants to be friends.

Strike
06-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Thank them but give them nothing. Mowing your lawn unsolicited and expecting some sort of payment is a douchebag move. Don't stand for it.

ploto
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I would pay them for the cost of the gas, give them a homemade pie, and ask them not to do it again.

Borosai
06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Give them nothing, but take everything!!!

Wild Cobra
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I agree with the "give him no money" and your "two cents worth."

Do not reward such activity.

The Reckoning
06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
how about you get really drunk, piss all over their lawn, and tell them you were spraying pesticide to repay them for mowing your lawn.

mrsmaalox
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
If it was kids who cut it I'd give them $10 and tell them to please never cut it without my permission. If it was adults, I wouldn't give them anything and tell them to please never cut it without my permission.

PM5K
06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I'd tell them to fuck off and to stay off my property, and that I'd call the police if the trespassed on my property again.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
If it was kids who cut it I'd give them $10 and tell them to please never cut it without my permission. If it was adults, I wouldn't give them anything and tell them to please never cut it without my permission.
I can agree with giving a kid something and explaining the permission part. Not a grown-up, rather than saying don't cut it, if it was a good job, I'd say "I'll take a free lawn mowing anytime."

florige
06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
My $ grubbing neighbor got some guy to cut my grass and paid him $15 and told me I owed her $20 without my permission. I went ahead and gave it to her and told her that if ANYBODY cuts my grass again it is a freebee because I am not paying for nobody to cut my grass just because you think you are the neighborhood captain and everyones grass is supposed to be cut whenever you cut yours. Well it happened again and I didn;t pay anybody a dime. She hasn't done it since then, she just complains that I am always the odd one out because the rest of my neighbors are dumb and let her dictate to them when their grass should be cut. Well 3 out of 5 of my neighbors anyway. It's like listen woman, I work at night, I don't have time for this petty crap I am trying to sleep.

Sisk
06-18-2010, 12:13 AM

:lmao

Sisk
06-18-2010, 12:17 AM
give them $100

and then when they try to mow your yard again

castle doctrine

Alright either this or Cosmic's idea.. :lmao

symple19
06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
give them nothing and tell em' if they do it again you'll shoot em' in the face.

(bonus for waving the gun around while telling them)

Hopefully, you actually own a gun (if not, a realistic pellet gun will work just as well)

lebomb
06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
............how bout, go over and paint his house. Charge him $1000

Bender
06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
My neighbor is currently building a 3 foot high fence on both sides of his front yard. I think its going to look dumb as shit, but whatever he wants to do I guess.
he has to get your permission first doesn't he?

bus driver
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
............how bout, go over and paint his house. Charge him $1000

this is the best solution!

my neighbor cuts my lawn every once in a while. he has never asked for money and i never gave him money although never really thought about giving him money. i prefer if he didnt do it so i never mention it when i talk to him hoping he gets the idea but he's and old army veteran so i let him do what he wants
i do offer him drinks when i am outside drinking and he always turns me down.
:wakeup

EmptyMan
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.playerpress.com/uploads/Image/EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

Spurminator
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Okay but in the real world you kind of want to get along with your neighbors.

Giving him a $20 and asking him not to do it again will likely have more of an impact on him than refusing to pay him anything. You have taken the high road, and it will make him feel small and embarrassed. If you do not pay him, you look like a dick (to him, even though you're not and you have every right not to pay him) and he feels no guilt or embarrassment over the situation. Then you have to deal with the awkwardness of a neighbor who doesn't like you.

Staying on good terms is worth the $20.

Oh, Gee!!
06-18-2010, 09:47 AM
wear a wire and get him to admit he was on your property without permission, and do a citizen's arrest for trespass.

Oh, Gee!!
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
buy him a case of his favorite beer. that'll learn him.

Oh, Gee!!
06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
btw, my grass is emo. it cuts itself.

EmptyMan
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tell a friend to come over with his truck and load up empty boxes into the bed while the neighbor is home.

Friend leaves, neighbor comes over to ask about lawn payment...tell him you wish you could pay but your house is very close to getting foreclosed on and you are short on cash, i.e., selling off your possessions to get some cashflow.

If neighbor believes you and he is a decent guy he will feel good enough knowing he mowed your lawn and took some stress off you.
If neighbor is tool he can't get too mad since he thinks you don't have cash.
If neighbor believes you he will not try to break in your house when you are away since he already saw you selling off your possessions.

It's game time.

http://civilrightsandwrongs.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/spy-vs-spy-without-bombs-775529.jpg

clambake
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
btw, my grass is emo. it cuts itself.

:lol

ynh
06-19-2010, 12:59 AM

By far the best answer!

TheMACHINE
06-19-2010, 02:46 AM
give him the money and politely ask him not to mow your lawn again. Who knows..one day you might need help from him and that $20 might have been the difference between him saying yes or no in an emergency.

Das Texan
06-19-2010, 03:38 AM
he has to get your permission first doesn't he?

nope. just looks dumb, of course thats mostly cause you cant build a fence in the front yard higher than that in our neighborhood.

RashoFan
06-19-2010, 06:41 AM
how about you get really drunk, piss all over their lawn, and tell them you were spraying pesticide to repay them for mowing your lawn.

:rollin

Fillmoe
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
fuck his wife and then charge him 100 bucks for doing his job

Biernutz
06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Why do you think you neighbors didn't cut their grass? I would think you are a deadbeats who won't keep their yard up. If you cut their grass when it gets too high your are sending them a message. I cut my next door neighbors grass when it got too high for 3 months then I said screw them. I called 311 and reported them to city code and let the city make them cut their own lawn. My Neighbors had (2) able body 30 year old's men who were just to fat and lazy to keep their yard up. Help your Neighbors out if they need help but if they are just lazy shits report them to the city. Screw them!!!!!!

Sisk
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
So.. what was your final decision?

dallaskd
07-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I would act like I didnt notice it was mowed.

bigzak25
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Ask yourself how much you'd pay a guy to do the same job.

Give them that.

If money is tight, explain it and say "thanks but I'll have to cut my own yard in the future unless you want to work for apple pie as my budget is pretty strict."

If it's a fair price, and one you don't mind paying again, then tell them, "here's x amount and I'll give you the same twice a month if you want to continue to mow it for me."

Have some fun with life, don't get all pissy like most people would. It's just not worth it. And be thankful! They cut your yard. That's pretty cool.

While I agree it's pretty weak to expect payment for something that one might do out of the kindness of their heart, don't call them out on it and tarnish what could be a good thing. Just guide them appropriately to your needs.

Das Texan
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
nope. just looks dumb, of course thats mostly cause you cant build a fence in the front yard higher than that in our neighborhood.

turns out you cant even put a fence up past your front door.

got a note on my door saying i was in violation of deed restrictions. My response, fuck that shit. So the neighbor will be getting a love letter from the HOA sometime in the next 24 hours saying his fence cant be erected.

austN Spur
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Cook some breakfast tacos and leave him at his doorsteps. then the next day bring him a bill for the tacos in his mailbox. throw in some taco bell fire hot sauce packs and charge him a dollar extra for hot sauce.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
They were on your property without your permission. Where I come from thats known as trespassing. Its really as simple as that.

If they want something for that then I would tell them to go find a nice bus get in it pour kerosene over themselves and promptly light a match.

rr2418
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Well it's been two weeks since my neighbor cut my grass. I chose not to pay her. I think she got the message!

SequSpur
07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Unless you're a rag bag who doesn't mow their lawn or take care of shit, I would tell him not to do it again and don't pay him a dime.

If you are a rag bag who needs that kind of support, just waive to him and say hey bud, thanks for mowing my lawn and leave it at that.

phyzik
07-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah, if they did this unsolicited, tell them thanks for being a neighbor but you prefer to do it yourself. If they insist on payment for a job you didnt agree to pay them for, tell them to fuck off.

Sisk
07-08-2010, 12:24 AM
She?

:lmao :lmao :lmao

:lmao

Wild Cobra
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Cook some breakfast tacos and leave him at his doorsteps. then the next day bring him a bill for the tacos in his mailbox. throw in some taco bell fire hot sauce packs and charge him a dollar extra for hot sauce.
Don't use the mailbox. If you piss him off, and he knows the law, you could get in legal trouble.