PDA

View Full Version : This game got me to thinking.....why couldn't the Spurs or Duncan repeat???

An Unbiased Fan
06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
They were together for a good period of years, and always competitve, why were they unable to win 2 in a row? Serious question, I don't want this to turn into a hatefest.

Duncan is a legend, but like Bird, I wonder why he failed to repeat.

BRHornet45
06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
because San Antonio isn't a huge market and Duncan isn't a very marketable superstar player. its all about the $ plain and simple

Trainwreck2100
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
00 he's injured
04 .4
06 manu foul
08 gasol trade

1 injury plus alot of bullshit

Koolaid_Man
06-17-2010, 11:54 PM
They were together for a good period of years, and always competitve, why were they unable to win 2 in a row? Serious question, I don't want this to turn into a hatefest.

Duncan is a legend, but like Bird, I wonder why he failed to repeat.

NO Fucking Balls....that's it

Cant_Be_Faded
06-17-2010, 11:55 PM
in 08 derek fisher nose tackled Brent Barry when Barry went for a game-winning 3 and they did not call a foul

I hope he gets AIDS too

Cant_Be_Faded
06-17-2010, 11:55 PM
in 08 derek fisher nose tackled Brent Barry when Barry went for a game-winning 3 and they did not call a foul

I hope he gets AIDS too

TD 21
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't want to get too far into this, but the officiating in the '06 series against the Mavs was as bad as I've seen it save for the '02 Kings-Lakers series. Had it been just a smidgen better, the Spurs would have not only won that series, but it wouldn't have got to overtime of game seven. At the same time, they had it in their hands at the end and cost themselves. That, even more than '04, was their year to repeat.

It's a fine line. People will say "you're using the officiating as an excuse", but when it's close, that can make the difference.

TheMACHINE
06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
The SPurs couldnt repeat because they were only good enough to conquer the rigged NBA every other year. It took too much energy to DEFEAT the Sterns 2 years in a row.

The SPURS were THAT GOOD.

06-18-2010, 12:12 AM
spurs weren't a big enough market to constantly push their salary ranges over the cap. only teams like boston, chicago, los angeles, and new york can afford to add an extra $15 million to keep odom and resign artest when they are already over the cap.

SouthTexasRancher
06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Because David Stern is gay for Kobe & Phil Jackson and not Timmy!

Gutter92
06-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Like they already mentioned:

.4 (Shot doesn't go in, we have a huge upper hand in the series, face Pistons in the Finals...chance at title there)

Manu's foul: we go on to beat the Heat in the Finals

2008- Even Laker fans have to admit...no Gasol, no victory over the Spurs in the WCF...a trade is a trade and the Grizz actually have a good future center now, despite all the talk about the trade back then...not saying we would have beat the Celtics, but we would have been in the Finals, big 3 vs big 3

DJ Mbenga
06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
not repeating wont hurt his legacy. larry bird's legacy is fine

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Duncan winning 4 rings as a #1 in San Antonio is actually amazing when you look at it..never in the luxury tax and battling bad breaks(which happens to most teams)..I can only imagine what the Spurs could have done with rigged trades and a 90 mil $ payroll..

u4lakers14
06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
they were just never hungry enough.

they were able to win a few on great coaching, but never really had that champions hunger. complacency.

its what seperates the really good team from the dynasties like the celtic and the lakers.

SomeCallMeTim
06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
spurs weren't a big enough market to constantly push their salary ranges over the cap. only teams like boston, chicago, los angeles, and new york can afford to add an extra $15 million to keep odom and resign artest when they are already over the cap.

Multiple choice quiz:

Which of these teams was over the cap and paid luxury tax this year?

a) Lakers
b) Spurs
c) All of the above

SomeCallMeTim
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Repeating is one of the most overrated aspects of winning championships IMO.

Brutal honesty? I'd rather have the Spurs way... spread em out. winning three in a row and then the drought sucked.

You can make a case that it is more impressive to contend longer and win it all over close to a decade.

I will note that Phil/Kobe are essentially doing that now though.

crc21209
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Duncan winning 4 rings as a #1 in San Antonio is actually amazing when you look at it..never in the luxury tax and battling bad breaks(which happens to most teams)..I can only imagine what the Spurs could have done with rigged trades and a 90 mil $ payroll..

+1. Small market teams in this day in age are pretty much fucked, unless you're the Spurs. That is why it's amazing what they did...

An Unbiased Fan
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Brutal honesty? I'd rather have the Spurs way... spread em out. winning three in a row and then the drought sucked.

You can make a case that it is more impressive to contend longer and win it all over close to a decade.

I have to disagree. Winning consecutively shows domination. The Spurs won spread out titles, but didn't domianted like the Kobe/Shaq or Kobe/Gasol Lakers, to be fair.

Killakobe81
06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
+1. Small market teams in this day in age are pretty much fucked, unless you're the Spurs. That is why it's amazing what they did...

Agree
Funny thing is they gambled this year and spent on RJ ...and lost.

MmP
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
In 06 we'd beat PHO and Mia?

TinTin
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM

z0sa
06-18-2010, 04:42 PM

And didn't Kobe initially force the trade to the Lakers? Just think if he'd have demanded one to the Spurs..

TampaDude
06-18-2010, 05:22 PM

The mark of a dynasty, my friend. :toast

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Idk how the Spurs didnt win it all in 06. Clearly the best team in the NBA that season

BlackSwordsMan
06-18-2010, 05:32 PM
The SPurs couldnt repeat because they were only good enough to conquer the rigged NBA every other year. It took too much energy to DEFEAT the Sterns 2 years in a row.

The SPURS were THAT GOOD.

I like this guy.

BlackSwordsMan
06-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I thought culburn was my favorite laker fan but you're pretty close to taking his title.

TampaDude
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I like this guy.

Not sure if TheMACHINE's post was serious or just mocking, though. :lol

TheMACHINE
06-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I thought culburn was my favorite laker fan but you're pretty close to taking his title.

thanks you!

You're not so bad yourself ;)

TheMACHINE
06-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Not sure if TheMACHINE's post was serious or just mocking, though. :lol

you like me too...especially when i made that thread praising you 2 months ago that you probably didnt see. :p:

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
NO Fucking Balls....that's it

that explains why the lakers couldnt win after shaq left and gasol arrived....:rolleyes

Ghazi
06-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Idk how the Spurs didnt win it all in 06. Clearly the best team in the NBA that season

Mavs were lucky to beat them IMO. The irony of this is the Mavs fortune and luck in that series led to the heartbreak of getting robbed out of a championship. Maybe we wouldnt be such a disgruntled bunch if we had just lost in the 2nd round that year.

spizzle_tronk
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/57/m_13170bf45def4ed6a06fd726f14ac51c.gif

MavDynasty
06-18-2010, 08:34 PM
dirk and terry played out of their mind that series. the defense for damp/diop on duncan was good as well. jho actually gave a shit and devin harris could keep up with TP unlike kidd lol.

BeeGee
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
REPEAT? Hell, the Spurs can't even get past the 2nd round in consecutive seasons (only twice in franchise history). They've never defended a conference title, let alone a league title.

In order to repeat, you have to make it back to the Finals. This concept is foreign to the Spurs, and is the biggest reason they're a false dynasty. Even Kobe's Lakers have had 3 straight trips to the Finals and successfully defended a title.

A dynasty rules in succession. The Spurs are such a guarantee to flame out in the year following a title that their fans even joke about even numbered seasons.

The Spurs couldn't repeat because they're not a true dynasty.

TampaDude
06-18-2010, 10:44 PM
you like me too...especially when i made that thread praising you 2 months ago that you probably didnt see. :p:

What did you say???