PDA

View Full Version : How can Fisher be shitty and clutch at the same time?

tlongII
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't get it... :wtf

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
He's mentally whole and accomplished.

When Bryant wouldn't settle down, Fish stilled his frenetic and straightened him out. Not everything is stats. Not by a long shot.

JamStone
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Robert Horry like 85% of his career, son.

Players play like dogs for whatever reason but in big moments nut up.

Heck you saw it from Rasheed yesterday.

Sometimes people forget how talented even the scrubs in the NBA are. Fisher is slow and old and isn't even a current top 30 point guard in the league. But he's brazen and bold and does not wont for confidence. In situations where he's hit big shots, all a player like he needs is opportunity.

But, yeah, he does suck and is clutch at the same time. Funny irony.

Sportcamper
06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Tlong- I thought you had some great smack this playoff & championship series…

Jamstone- You had the best basketball info of anyone on this board…

"I want to thank my psychiatrist," ...Ron Artest after winning his 1st NBA Ring...

tlongII
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Jammie drops knowledge bombs...

Findog
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Robert Horry like 85% of his career, son.

Players play like dogs for whatever reason but in big moments nut up.

Heck you saw it from Rasheed yesterday.

Sometimes people forget how talented even the scrubs in the NBA are. Fisher is slow and old and isn't even a current top 30 point guard in the league. But he's brazen and bold and does not wont for confidence. In situations where he's hit big shots, all a player like he needs is opportunity.

But, yeah, he does suck and is clutch at the same time. Funny irony.

He's also somebody that Kobe trusts and listens to. When Kobe was ballhogging it last night and single-handedly doing everything he could to keep the Lakers from winning it, it was Fisher who told him to pull his head out of his ass and start passing the ball.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
He's also somebody that Kobe trusts and listens to. When Kobe was ballhogging it last night and single-handedly doing everything he could to keep the Lakers from winning it, it was Fisher who told him to pull his head out of his ass and start passing the ball.

+1

When Kobe was demanding trades and acting an ass during the 2007 off season right after LA signed Fisher, I have no doubt in my mind Fisher had several talks with him basically saying "look dude you're my nigga but I didn't think I resigned with this team to play to play with a selfish egocentric prick, right now you're making Shaq look like the one who was right all along."

Kobe might very well not have stopped demanding trades had it not been for Fisher's presence on that team. He needs someone who isn't gonna tell him what he wants to hear, if he had a bunch of teammates like Ron Artest and Pau Gasol who kissed his ass he woulda shot his team outa the game in the 2nd half.

JamStone
06-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Really a good point, except there are probably an extremely few players in the league that can talk to Kobe like Fish does. Sure, Ron and Pau kiss his ass. But if they didn't, Kobe wouldn't listen to them anyway. He'd smack the shit out the back of their heads and have Mitch trade them. Fisher can talk to Kobe that way because Kobe actually will take it from him. How many other players in the league could talk to Kobe like that and not feel the wrath and venom a defiant Kobe often would display? I think maybe Jason Kidd, Duncan though that's not really his personality, maybe a guy like Chauncey Billups who is well respected by players throughout the league and who has a ring and Finals MVP probably more importantly against Kobe, perhaps and equal like Dwyane Wade. But we're still talking an extreme short list of guys. Fisher doesn't bullshit Kobe. But make no mistake about it, it's because Kobe allows it. Kobe's ego wouldn't allow that from many other people.

ballhog
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
He's really awful. He's more-or-less fouls on every play. Might hit a shot or two at the beginning of the game or near the end but nothing in between. Lakers need an upgrade.

MiamiHeat
06-18-2010, 01:29 PM
He's really awful. He's more-or-less fouls on every play. Might hit a shot or two at the beginning of the game or near the end but nothing in between. Lakers need an upgrade.

yeah, they can get an upgrade who plays better throughout the game, but isnt nowhere near as clutch as Fisher

Fisher ALWAYS hits the big shots. you cant replace veteran clutchness like that so easy.

he singlehandedly won Game 3 for the lakers, and hit 2 huge shots last night....

if fisher doesn't nail that 3, boston was up by 3 pts with like 4 mins left. they woulda won.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
if

Solly Cholly. You are SOL.

Medvedenko
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Fisher has the biggest pair of balls on the lakers next to Kobe. After that 3 I was surprised he was able to run with those swollen nuts.

Still for every blown assignment and layup he makes it up with clutch shots and understanding the game from a mental standpoint. He's just as important to the team as anyone.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
He's just as important to the team as anyone.

Testify, Med, testify!!!

Smooth Criminal
06-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Fish is amazing. When he took that 3 to te the game at 64 yesterday, everybody in the whole arena knew the shot was good the second he rose up. Hand completely in his face, but you still know it's coming, like the inexorable march of Fate pushing Boston out the door

Killakobe81
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Fisher has the biggest pair of balls on the lakers next to Kobe. After that 3 I was surprised he was able to run with those swollen nuts.

Still for every blown assignment and layup he makes it up with clutch shots and understanding the game from a mental standpoint. He's just as important to the team as anyone.

agree ...

Killakobe81
06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Fish is amazing. When he took that 3 to te the game at 64 yesterday, everybody in the whole arena knew the shot was good the second he rose up. Hand completely in his face, but you still know it's coming, like the inexorable march of Fate pushing Boston out the door

agreed.

VBM
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Not sure if there's another thread regarding this, but as a solid contributor on 5 title teams, did Fish just book his HOF ticket?

tlongII
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Not sure if there's another thread regarding this, but as a solid contributor on 5 title teams, did Fish just book his HOF ticket?

Oh hell no! Putting Fisher in the HOF would be a traveshamockery!

EJFischer
06-18-2010, 04:46 PM
It's easy to be shitty and clutch simultaneously, because "clutchness" has no basis in reality. Clutch just means that a player did something good at a memorable time. Again and again if you look at a "clutch" player's performance over a wide sample size of the last five minutes of close games, you find that their stats are nearly the same as at all other times. There are a few statistical outliers who do actually improve in the clutch-- LeBron James and Manu Ginobili are the most extreme examples in recent years--but they are generally excellent players at all times. Players like Fisher are only considered clutch because they've lucked into doing something good at a time when it carried a lot of narrative power.

The opposite of "clutch" is "soft," and it is just as meaningless. Pau Gasol has been an elite player for years, but with no help in Memphis his team didn't win and he was "soft" -- he did a bad things (fail to winn) at memorable times. Same with Garnett before the Boston trade, same with Dirk Nowitski.

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't know if I fully buy that..

I think people do exaggerate when it comes to "clutch", but I think it depends on your meaning for the word..for me, it means a guy that has the balls and can handle the pressure of taking the big shot or making the big play..it doesn't mean that he's going to make the right play, but it means that the pressure won't get to him..

If you've played sports, or even just in life in general, you see that there are always people that are really bad under pressure, and it obviously affects their ability to perform..so IMO, "clutch" does exist, it's just kind of exaggerated..

I don't believe in calling guys like Horry and Fisher lucky though, those guys certainly have some balls that hang extremely low..Horry's performance in 2005 couldn't have been done by many players in NBA history..

TampaDude
06-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Yup...you fucking KNEW that shit was going in...Fish's clutch is clutcher than Kobe's clutch...time and time again...

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Yup...you fucking KNEW that shit was going in...Fish's clutch is clutcher than Kobe's clutch...time and time again...

Thank, Christ.

Otherwise, I'd be checkin' assholes again today.

Nice having a break from such a task.