PDA

View Full Version : Making the Current Spurs Team into A Championship Team

MagnusKrauss
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Now that the 2010 Finals are over, there have been a few statements made that some of the previous Spurs championship teams would have spanked any of the three teams that have appeared the past three NBA Finals (LA, Boston, Orlando)

Just what is that the current Spurs team lack that the previous NBA champions Spurs team?

One thing we could all agree on is the team's defense. It's just not the same anymore. Is it because of the current NBA rules? Lack of personnel? Slowing down of some key people? Lack of mental toughness? Is it mixture of some of these or all of them?

Some of us here have offered their own opinions on how we should address these problems. There have been talks on trades, waiving players and bringing in unsigned Spurs draft picks.

Some of these ideas are sound and viable, while a few seem far-fetched. But what the Spurs team could do right now is to have a re-dedication to some of the old ideas that the Spurs have did during the championship runs.

Never giving up. This is absolutely vital for any defensive-minded team. We've watched a few games where some of the Spurs at times just...give up. Possessions where Spurs players just watched opposing players waltz in and score on them.

Having a defense-first attitude. The Spurs used to be a team where opponents had stretches of minutes with no field goals. This isn't about having low-scoring games, this is about the Spurs not letting their opponents score. At all. Right now these Spurs aren't like that.

The Spurs can reach the playoffs, but these just aren't the old Spurs anymore. The old Spurs were the team that every opponent just didn't want to face.

(note: please excuse my English if any of the above is unclear or poorly-worded. or if chunks of the sentence seem to be missing)

Gagnrath
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Getting a decent center or moving Timmy to center permanently.

Getting a fast mobile athletic big man backup.

Getting a small forward that can make Le Brawn, Melo, and that group of small forwards work hard on offense, and can hit a basket from time to time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is what kind of gameplan do the Spurs for the free agent market, aside from their own free agents. Splitter helps the frontcourt, and they might fill it up with Ian. The draft will probably give us our small forward. The improvement of Hill, Blair, and RJ are also taken into account. What kind of free agent will they try to target?

beachwood
06-18-2010, 01:22 PM
We need an all-star caliber or borderline all-star caliber big man; a defensive minded wing who can hit the 3; and a solid stretch 4 (not Bonner) who can rebound and play D.

We get those roles filled this off season and we have a chance

kobyz
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
trade RJ + Splitter for Garnett

cantthinkofanything
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
It's soccer time bitches! Come on Algeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
trade RJ + Splitter for Garnett

KG and timmy would be the best front court in the NBA...

DesignatedT
06-18-2010, 02:06 PM
tiago and shooters. deal rj if possible.

Sigz
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
KG and timmy would be the best front court in the NBA...

Maybe 4 years ago.

2Cleva
06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
They need Duncan and Ginobili rested come playoff time.

Last 3 years Pop has been monitoring their minutes, giving them games off, and it still hasn't worked. Only way SA challenges LA is if their stars are ready to go.

If Popovich has to sit Duncan/Ginobili for a week each month to give them some gas left to finish then he has to. Problem is making sure they stay in the playoffs without them but its a risk they have to take.

SenorSpur
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
They keys in my opinion are simple. Sign Tiago. Keep Tony Parker. Sign a shooter, that's important. Draft a small forward like Paul George. This team needs some length so maybe go after a player like Anthony Randolph. Mix in some youth to go with the oldies and its all good..
I agree with every word

I hope RJ stays because in all honesty I think he'll do better next season and if not his contract gives the Spurs some good trade opportunities.

I'd be ok if RJ comes back for a second year because it would give whatever young SF, the Spurs get in the draft, some time to incubate, before taking over either later in the year, if RJ is traded or heading into the 2012 season.

jason1301
06-18-2010, 04:56 PM
One thing is for sure, things look better this summer. RJ can't play any worst and if he does we ll trade his expiring A$$ by Jan. If Tony can carry us through the reg season like he did a few years ago, I like our chances in the playoffs, its not like the Lakers or anyone else are scary good like they used to be.

spursfan1000
06-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I think getting Splitter will be the main thing we need to do, Duncan needs help, we can't have a front line of Mcdyess and Duncan or Duncan and Bonner/Blair anymore.

Get rid of Mason/Ian/Bogans.

Instead of playing George Hill at backup PG we need to sign a veteran point guard like Earl Watson, he played well against us this year when we played the Pacers. Second Spurs should look to draft a young SF who can defend and make the 3.

Parker/Watson
Manu/Hill
Jefferson/ Drafted SF
Duncan/Mcdyess
Splitter/ Bonner

DPG21920
06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I love how people act like things are so simple :lol. Just add a little bit of this, and a little bit of that and *poof* contenders again.

This stuff is difficult because there are a lot of controllable/uncontrollable factors that go into it.

Spurs need a few different things (players/youth/talent) and then a bunch of other things to fall into place (health, meshing, luck). It will be a very tough task to make the Spurs a legit contender again next year imo.

MagnusKrauss
06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Good points all.

But there are a few issues here that are still doubtful. One, we do not know if Splitter is indeed signing with the Spurs. Two, we do not know who the Spurs will draft. Three, trading player like RJ, Bonner or Tony do not seem to be viable, as we do not know if other teams are willing to part with pieces we need for these players.

Yes, making these Spurs into champions again will take an enormous amount of luck, health, timing and chemistry. But there are some things that the team can already do that can turn them into contenders again.

The first, individual work for Blair. It has already been said that this is his work for the summer. So, shooting practice with Chip, as well as further indoctrination in the Spurs defensive and offensive playbook.

Second, as I've said, dedication to defense. It might not have worked out for RMJ last summer, but surely some of the Spurs do need to work on their defense.

The problem is that we all know that at some point in any Spurs game, the offense breaks down. A few minutes, or even a whole quarter. But what is not the same is that during the championship years, opponents do not score either when the Spurs don't score.

I'm sure you guys have a few ideas what the current Spurs roster can do now to get them back on the right track.

AFBlue
06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I love how people act like things are so simple :lol. Just add a little bit of this, and a little bit of that and *poof* contenders again.

This stuff is difficult because there are a lot of controllable/uncontrollable factors that go into it.

Spurs need a few different things (players/youth/talent) and then a bunch of other things to fall into place (health, meshing, luck). It will be a very tough task to make the Spurs a legit contender again next year imo.

I don't think the Spurs were far off this year, which is why I think most who have posted think adding a few key pieces will keep them in it. Health of superstars is first and foremost with all teams.

I, for one, think that not trading Tony Parker and him skipping NT stuff this summer will be the biggest factor in the Spurs remaining competitive. I think he was at 70-80% for most of the year and it really hurt the team. A fully healthy and fresh Tony Parker should be dangerous.

Second, I agree with most of the other posters that the Spurs have to get more athletic and bigger on the frontline. Adding Splitter would help that tremendously, as would the addition of a defense-minded shot blocker. There are a bunch of draftees (Udoh, Whiteside, Sanders, Varnado) who fit that profile and could be realistic options for the Spurs.

I also think that the "second year syndrome" will be a big key for three returning Spurs...RJ, Dice and especially DeJuan Blair. Hopefully all three benefit from having a year in the system under their belt, because they will be big factors.

Finally, I agree with most posters that the Spurs desperately need reliable shooting. Ray Allen on a vet min deal anyone? Just kidding. Seriously though, the Spurs need to part with Mason/Bonner and find suitable replacements. Unfortunately, with most of the MLE tabbed for Splitter, they won't have much money to work with.

Obviously none of that guarantees anything and there's plenty of unknowns, but those moves fill holes and/or rely on progression from current Spurs players.

The Truth #6
06-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Improving our talent level. That's obvious. I think we need a more talented coaching staff. I'm not talking about Pop or Chip. I'm talking about the B team sitting next to them. After a decade of talent drain we are left with left overs for an assistant coaching staff. We need someone to challenge Pop when he goes into month long periods of head-scratching behavior.

And if none of that works then we need to fire up the flux capacitor.

Capt Bringdown
06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm afraid we're too far off the mark, our needs, especially in the defensive dept, are just too great. Even if we were to add all-star talent tomorrow, there is the issue of how long it takes for players to integrate and absorb our system.

Our core is too old.

jimo2305
06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
i have a problem with RJ comin' back.. but i have an even greater problem with RMJ and Bogans coming back as well..

but ill focus on RJ.. i understand where ppl are coming from when they say they want to see what he does this upcoming season before they make up their minds on him.. but IMO.. after seeing RJ play.. his performance to me has been so abysmal i truly don't think he will come out any better. RJ's best seasons have already passed.. and as years go by.. his rate of decline will increase..

trade RJ..

TimDunkem
06-20-2010, 06:36 PM
i have a problem with RJ comin' back.. but i have an even greater problem with RMJ and Bogans coming back as well..

No way those bums come back.

ducks
06-20-2010, 07:01 PM
if rj comes back
he should come of the bench and play with hill
let them develop start manu and limit his minutes to 25

Seventyniner
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
They keys in my opinion are simple. Sign Tiago. Keep Tony Parker. Sign a shooter, that's important. Draft a small forward like Paul George. This team needs some length so maybe go after a player like Anthony Randolph. Mix in some youth to go with the oldies and its all good.

I hope RJ stays because in all honesty I think he'll do better next season and if not his contract gives the Spurs some good trade opportunities.

This is probably the best realistic scenario, but IMO it's not enough to catch up to the Lakers.

It also depends on who the shooter is. If Ray Allen somehow gets pissed at Boston and will sign here for the part of the MLE that Splitter doesn't take, we'd be golden. [/pipedream]

Parker2112
06-20-2010, 09:01 PM
WE NEED SOME DEFENSIVE MINDED BALLERS WITH BALLS!

ESPECIALLY if Parker stays!

We need to do something we should have done years ago: replace Horry (clutch, shooter, defender), Captain Jack (clutch, shooter, defender), and Bowen (clutch, corner-3 shooter, defender). And someone off the bench who can guard the rim.