PDA

View Full Version : Splitter deal already done?

benefactor
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/june/spurs-to-announce-signing-splitter-in-july.html

According to Tubasket.com, the San Antonio Spurs will sign Splitter in July when the NBA permits the offseason signing

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah it's been reported around Europe recently as well. I guess it's safe to say he's coming.

tp2021
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Please let this be true. It would be the first good news I've gotten all day.
This season is over; the Drive for Five recommences NOW!

Maddog
06-18-2010, 12:19 PM
No no no. Never safe to say someone is coming until their signed. :lol

Muser
06-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't get your hopes up until he holds up the Spurs shirt.

Dex
06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
http://set2music.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/fingers_crossed.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2010, 12:28 PM

:lol True.
Well it's better than last time we thought he was coming.

easy7
06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
So, is Splitter Spur's savior? I remember someone saying that.. :hat

Leetonidas
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
:hungry:

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
i wonder if he can defend well....

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
No, but he could put them on the right track to winning another championship. Bring back the twin towers. Bring McDyess and Blair off the bench. Now the Spurs can focus on drafting/signing/or trading for a forward with length. And bring in a couple shooters.

any chance we can draft paul george??

TIMMYD!
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
No, but he could put them on the right track to winning another championship. Bring back the twin towers. Bring McDyess and Blair off the bench. Now the Spurs can focus on drafting/signing/or trading for a forward with length. And bring in a couple shooters.

That should be all we have to do to be set for the season.

Ditty
06-18-2010, 12:39 PM
any chance we can draft paul george??

if he is available he dropped a spot again on dx to number 17 so theres a possibility i dont know what the spurs have to offer to move up a few spots maybe a future 2nd round pick

Leetonidas
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Fuck, if Splitter can start, play decent defense, grab 8-10 rebounds a night and score 8-10 points a night, I think we'll be good. Having another legit 6'11" guy next to Tim makes our big man rotation. If Splitter signs, we go from having basically no big depth to being very deep. If Splitter comes over I would welcome Bonner staying for cheap simply because it gives the Spurs an extremely versatile front court, being able to put a big man on the three point line, go small with Dice/Blair, or go big with Timmy/Splitter.

Next season, HURRY UP!!!

Sisk
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
http://set2music.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/fingers_crossed.jpg

Just was thinking this game thing.. Let's hope it happens.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
The first sigh of relief for the off season?

Brox6
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM
hope its real

spursfan1000
06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Lets hope this is true.

cantthinkofanything
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
It's soccer time bitches! Come on Algeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hater
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
fucking Scola trade

rjv
06-18-2010, 01:37 PM

very true. the scola fiasco certainly illustrates your point. still, i have positive vibes about splitter coming over this season.

jjktkk
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
fucking Scola trade

Crying over spilled milk, or getting a bit senile? Try to get over the Scola trade.

nbaman99
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
The Caja Laboral club is the best form Spain, And perhaps EuropeBecause he's always thinking ahead and are aware of the rules of the market: Like them fichan, the more potential rivals are set in their players.

The San Antonio Spurs announced the signing of Tiago Splitter in July, when legislation NBA permits.

hater
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Crying over spilled milk, or getting a bit senile? Try to get over the Scola trade.

the scola trade is the cause of all what is evil. Spurs decline? scola trade, The hurricane katrina? scola trade. economic disaster? scola trade. BP oilspill? scola trade, etc, etc

TimmehC
06-18-2010, 01:58 PM
The fact that the Spurs haven't worked out any first round-quality big men for the upcoming draft is a pretty big clue, I'd say.

TimmehC
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
the scola trade is the cause of all what is evil. Spurs decline? scola trade, The hurricane katrina? scola trade. economic disaster? scola trade. BP oilspill? scola trade, etc, etc

Also, the ref from today's US - Slovenia game? Scola trade.

Sigz
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I bet Splitter will choke.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Like you choke on dick?

mingus
06-18-2010, 02:06 PM
great first move of the summer if it hold true. they'll be i the running for a championship if the can get this done and shore up their outside shooting problem.

i really want to see them move RJ.

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 02:31 PM

:vomit:

Spurs Brazil
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
No news here in Brazilian press, the only report today was one EricB said in the beggining of the week that Mike Bud was in Spain during the finals and talked to Tiago

Libri
06-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Where there's smoke, there's fire?

:elephant

bigfan
06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
May not be the Spurs "saviour" but it would be damn good news.

franceout
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
maybe it is really true.
I found this on yahoo sports:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306
I wondered if they just put every player spurs own right there, and I searched Viktor Sanikidze. It turned out to be nth.

yavozerb
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
cnn/si article from Givony:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/06/18/rights.held/

• Tiago Splitter, Spurs, No. 28 pick in 2007 draft. The Brazilian 7-footer is no stranger to diehard NBA fans, as his name has been on the radar for what seems like years now. He entered his name into the draft pool for the first time in 2004, and has continued to flirt with the NBA for the better part of six years.

Fresh off an ACB championship and Finals MVP award with Caja Laboral, the 25-year-old Splitter has never been more ready to come to the NBA than he is now. He's clearly the best center in Europe, averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds, shooting 58 percent from the field and showing promising defensive ability in the ultracompetitive ACB. Splitter is a mobile center with a good frame, great hands, excellent fundamentals and a high basketball IQ. He could step in and start for many NBA teams immediately and, unlike a lot of international prospects, will have few issues making the transition to the league's style of play.

Splitter finally could be poised to jump to the NBA: He can opt out of his deal in Spain this summer, and because he's three years removed from being drafted, he is eligible to be paid like an NBA free agent. Splitter will likely ask capped-out San Antonio to pay him the full mid-level exception, and he'll be worth every penny considering how desperately it needs him.

rjv
06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
pretty spot on article from SI.

Bruno
06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
I would be shocked if Splitter get the full MLE ($6M).

All signs point in the direction of Splitter signing with Spurs:
- Splitter said yesterday that he was only considering staying with Caja or going in NBA.
- Caja's president said that Splitter will likely go in the NBA.
- Caja is looking at Splitter replacement in Kosta Perovic.
- Some reports are saying that Splitter will sign with Spurs.

IMO, Splitter has already decided to sign with Spurs and has an oral agreement with them. He is just waiting the right moment to make it official and doing it in the middle of their championship celebration isn't the right moment for sure.

beachwood
06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Anyone know how Splitter compare to Gasol?

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Splitter is the best possible pickup the Spurs could have made this off-season, from a realistic standpoint..so if he is indeed signing with the Spurs, you can't have better news than that..

I don't expect Jefferson to be moved, but that would be the only thing that could match this signing in regards to improving the Spurs IMO..

The Spurs will now need to acquire a big man that brings a different dimension, so either a shooter or an athletic big, preferably the latter..this would give the Spurs a complete frontcourt, and it would also potentially allow Duncan and McDyess to get a lot of rest during the regular season, all while keeping the Spurs competitive enough to grab a top 4 seed..hopefully Duncan doesn't play more than 30 MPG and no back to backs..

TFloss32
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
This no true. Smokescreen for Bourousis....true Spur savior.

AFBlue
06-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Splitter is the best possible pickup the Spurs could have made this off-season, from a realistic standpoint..so if he is indeed signing with the Spurs, you can't have better news than that..

I don't expect Jefferson to be moved, but that would be the only thing that could match this signing in regards to improving the Spurs IMO..

The Spurs will now need to acquire a big man that brings a different dimension, so either a shooter or an athletic big, preferably the latter..this would give the Spurs a complete frontcourt, and it would also potentially allow Duncan and McDyess to get a lot of rest during the regular season, all while keeping the Spurs competitive enough to grab a top 4 seed..hopefully Duncan doesn't play more than 30 MPG and no back to backs..

Agree completely....this off-season is first and foremost about Splitter.

Getting an athletic, young 7ft center with big-game experience is the type of move that keeps the Spurs relevant. This is especially true when you factor how the Spurs' current frontline was dismantled by a more athletic Suns team in the WC Semis. I also don't think they would've matched up well against the Lakers length either.

Going from 6'7 Blair, 35yr old McDyess and Matt Bonner (self-explanatory) to this kid has to be seen as a major upgrade. Hope this goes through...

Solid D
06-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Gasol is a much better rebounder and shot blocker than Splitter is. I've not seen the driven-to-succeed mentality in Splitter's game that you consistently see with Gasol. Offensively, they both have excellent skills. Gasol (reported at 7'4" wingspan) seems to have a bit more length than Tiago (7'2" wingspan).

crc21209
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM

+1. A front-court of TD, Splitter, Dice, Blair and maybe 1 more big..either a shooter or an athletic shot-blocker type. Draft a defensive wing, sign a shooter or two, and we are good to go. :tu

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Yup..

The most exciting part for me is that Splitter is still in his mid-20s..I loved Horry and I really like McDyess, but they were both past their athletic primes when the Spurs got them..we've heard a lot about the big man to replace Robinson(nobody ever will, but you get the point), so it's good to have a YOUNG guy with skill coming in to help Tim..

The Spurs should have been making moves like this the entire time..it made sense to surround the young big 3 with old veterans, but they should have been surrounding the older big 3 with young role players..instead of doing that, they were still focusing on adding old guys to an old big 3, which just doesn't work..so they're finally doing the right thing by having guys like Splitter, Hill and Blair as the fillers, hopefully guys like Hairston/Gee/Temple can step up and show some potential as well..hopefully the big 3 still has enough legs..

SenorSpur
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Even if Splitter comes, the Spurs still lack a shotblocking, rebounding post presence, who can score. Enter Ian Mahinmi. I've always maintained the Spurs needed to resign Ian, regardless of the Splitter outcome. I STILL believe that Ian can provide enough of those requisite skills that the Spurs didn't have enough of last season. And the benefit is, he's been in the system, knows the system and has shown he can be productive on both ends.

I sincerely doubt that there is another big the Spurs can get in the draft that can have the immediate impact that he can. Unless, of course, the Spurs somehow manage to trade up into the top 3 to get their hands on a Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins.

That would free up the Spurs to focus on a SF and perhaps pursuing a lanky, big forward, like Anthony Randolph. The cumulative benefit of these moves is it would give the Spurs enough size and versatility to finally be able the challenge the Fakers, who seemingly aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
The stats just don't show Ian as being the shot blocking savior many think him to be. Better than about everyone outside of Duncan? Sure -- but that isn't saying much at all. Now there are many things Ian can do for the Spurs and he could still be used, so I'm cool with re-signing him if he wants to fight Blair for playing time. I just as easily see his going to some crappy team so he can actually play.

Mal
06-18-2010, 05:21 PM

In my opinion Gasol is a PF, Splitter is a C. Gasol is better player right now, but Splitter definately got a lot of talent

Seventyniner
06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Yup..

The most exciting part for me is that Splitter is still in his mid-20s..I loved Horry and I really like McDyess, but they were both past their athletic primes when the Spurs got them..we've heard a lot about the big man to replace Robinson(nobody ever will, but you get the point), so it's good to have a YOUNG guy with skill coming in to help Tim..

The Spurs should have been making moves like this the entire time..it made sense to surround the young big 3 with old veterans, but they should have been surrounding the older big 3 with young role players..instead of doing that, they were still focusing on adding old guys to an old big 3, which just doesn't work..so they're finally doing the right thing by having guys like Splitter, Hill and Blair as the fillers, hopefully guys like Hairston/Gee/Temple can step up and show some potential as well..hopefully the big 3 still has enough legs..

I would take a 33-year-old Robert Horry over Splitter now in a heartbeat. Youth doesn't win championships.

Big P
06-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I would be shocked if Splitter get the full MLE ($6M).

All signs point in the direction of Splitter signing with Spurs:
- Splitter said yesterday that he was only considering staying with Caja or going in NBA.
- Caja's president said that Splitter will likely go in the NBA.
- Caja is looking at Splitter replacement in Kosta Perovic.
- Some reports are saying that Splitter will sign with Spurs.

IMO, Splitter has already decided to sign with Spurs and has an oral agreement with them. He is just waiting the right moment to make it official and doing it in the middle of their championship celebration isn't the right moment for sure.

Bruno, how much of the MLE will it take to get it done, in your opinion?

ThePop
06-18-2010, 05:30 PM
:downspin:
I hope it's true

Bruno
06-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Bruno, how much of the MLE will it take to get it done, in your opinion?

Between $3M and $4M.

slick'81
06-18-2010, 05:37 PM
this is obviously great news with duncan/splitter/blair/mcdyess and either bonner/mahimini the front court is set.

i say bring manu off the pine and find a back up pg and a g/f that can shoot and hopefully defend a bit...geeORhairston??

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Between $3M and $4M.
Since he's off the rookie pay scale, and plenty of reports state that he is worth the MLE, why wouldn't he demand all of it?

tomtom
06-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Won't believe it till it's official

mountainballer
06-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I would take a 33-year-old Robert Horry over Splitter now in a heartbeat. Youth doesn't win championships.

hm. Splitter just won a championship 3 days ago. what do you call that?

Seventyniner
06-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Between $3M and $4M.

Then the next question is: who can we get with the rest of the MLE? It should be enough above the LLE to give us the edge in a competition.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Then the next question is: who can we get with the rest of the MLE? It should be enough above the LLE to give us the edge in a competition.
Robert Horry.

Penya
06-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Pete Mickeal.

Solid D
06-18-2010, 06:05 PM
In my opinion Gasol is a PF, Splitter is a C. Gasol is better player right now, but Splitter definately got a lot of talent

I'd say he's a PF when Bynum is on the floor with him, but otherwise, Pau is a Center.

He's 250 lbs, has great pivot skills, is a quick jumper including 2nd shot attempts and can get above the rim fairly easily. Whereas, Tiago Splitter is less quick vertically. Simply put, Pau can shoot and score over Tiago easier than Tiago can shoot and score over Pau.

Seventyniner
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Wasn't the comparison supposed to be Splitter vs. Varejao instead of Splitter vs. P. Gasol? I haven't seen enough of Splitter to have any idea personally.

DPG21920
06-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Splitter does not have near the offensive game that Pau does. But his offensive game is certainly better than Anderson's.

jjktkk
06-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Lol, I guess I never really looked at the big picture then. :).

Spursfan092120
06-18-2010, 06:44 PM
nlrqMS7tp-A

mookie2001
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
this is obviously great news with duncan/splitter/blair/mcdyess and either bonner/mahimini the front court is set.

i say bring manu off the pine and find a back up pg and a g/f that can shoot and hopefully defend a bit...geeORhairston??

?

that is foolish

BackHome
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I still hope the Spurs try to trade up because I think even with Splitter we are going to need another big to get us to the promise land. With Dice and Duncan you are going to have to watch their minutes and no back to backs.

As much as I like Hill and Blair I would give them up to get Ed Davis who could realy help us against the Flakers and Celtics.

benefactor
06-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Romain Sato.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Why would you trade two players who know the system while losing depth at essentially 2 positions (SG/PG)? You're also giving up a Blair who can reek havoc on opposing benches.

Blair can play against the Celtics too. Did you miss the game where he was dominating them? I also like him against the Lakers if he's coming off the bench.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Romain Sato.
Yes. :toast

Seventyniner
06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Romain Sato.

Is Sato really worth that much? He might take the LLE or minimum, right?

MaNu4Tres
06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't think Spurs will use their LLE or minimum on a wing after signing Splitter.

Only way they do is if they aren't confident in their draft pick, Hairston and Gee. Therefore the decision to use the LLE or minimum could wait til August after Summer League and other summer workouts.

yavozerb
06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Romain Sato.

no thanks...Hairston and Gee cost alot less.

benefactor
06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Is Sato really worth that much? He might take the LLE or minimum, right?
A small part of the the remainder of the MLE would do it. The Spurs would also likely go this direction because it give them flexibility with the contract(years, guaranteed money, etc).

benefactor
06-18-2010, 07:52 PM
no thanks...Hairston and Gee cost alot less.
Sato is pretty easily better than both of them.

MaNu4Tres
06-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Sato is pretty easily better than both of them.

He might be the better player, but there's just not enough evidence to suggest that he actually is. (Even if his stats prove his a better shooter from 20 feet out.)

Even if he is, I don't see Sato coming over for a role where he sees 10-15 minutes every other game tops.

He said this in regards of him possibly coming to the NBA this summer,“Mi nutes and my role on a team are my main objective. I want to be on the court to contribute. Here in Europe I have a chance to play and improve my game every day. I'm looking for the same thing in the league.”

And his agent saying, “Romain has always wanted to play in the NBA,” his agent Sam Goldfeder told us. For him the issue is playing. He is not interested to come to the NBA to sit.”

Meaning he wants a similar type of role that he had in the Euro and Italian league. Which is around 25-27 minutes a game give or take.

I don't see him playing anywhere close to that on the Spurs being an undersized two guard. Especially with our main foundation and rotation in the back court pretty much set with Parker,Hill, Manu and Jefferson.

ace3g
06-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't mind giving Sato a chance but is there any evidence he wants to come back to the NBA?

benefactor
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
He might be the better player, but there's just not enough evidence to suggest that he actually is. (Even if his stats prove his a better shooter from 20 feet out.)

Even if he is, I don't see Sato coming over for a role where he sees 10-15 minutes every other game tops.

He said this in regards of him possibly coming to the NBA this summer,“Mi nutes and my role on a team are my main objective. I want to be on the court to contribute. Here in Europe I have a chance to play and improve my game every day. I'm looking for the same thing in the league.”

And his agent saying, “Romain has always wanted to play in the NBA,” his agent Sam Goldfeder told us. For him the issue is playing. He is not interested to come to the NBA to sit.”

Meaning he wants a similar type of role that he had in the Euro and Italian league. Which is around 25-27 minutes a game give or take.

I don't see him playing anywhere close to that on the Spurs being an undersized two guard. Especially with our main foundation and rotation in the back court pretty much set with Parker,Hill, Manu and Jefferson.
I could write a fairly long post responding to all of this with my arguments for Sato, but this is a Splitter thread and I don't want to chase rabbits or get too far off track. My case is pretty clearly lined out in the Sato thread in the Think Tank.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138963

silverblk mystix
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
...so ...someone tell me...

how would splitter help the spurs...

if...for example...

the spurs are locked into a close game with the lakers...say the spurs are up by 10 with about 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter---

then to finish the last 20 minutes of the game---

the lakers shoot 25 free throws....

how will splitter help?????

someone?

anyone?

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 09:53 PM
^ We get it. The Lakers are destined to 4 straight titles. Can we still talk about the possible Splitter signing?

AFBlue
06-18-2010, 09:58 PM

if...for example...

the spurs are locked into a close game with the lakers...say the spurs are up by 10 with about 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter---

someone?

anyone?

Splitter is a disciplined defender that doesn't leave his feet too often to contest shots. He doesn't block too many shots, but he doesn't foul a whole lot either. If fouls are called, it likely won't be on him. I know you were trying to be sarcastic, but the answer is legit.

Buddy Holly
06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Wait, why do people want Sato so much now? We had him and no one cared when the Spurs released him. What's happened since?

spurs2112
06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

if...for example...

someone?

anyone?

Maybe the refs will be Brazilian. :p:

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think Spurs will use their LLE or minimum on a wing after signing Splitter.

Only way they do is if they aren't confident in their draft pick, Hairston and Gee. Therefore the decision to use the LLE or minimum could wait til August after Summer League and other summer workouts.

Sorry, but we need shooters to flank Tim and space the floor for Manu and Tony. The biggest problem with this team all year (and the Suns series) was we didn't have anyone who could hit a three to save their lives.

Spurs off-season priorities should be:

1. Splitter
2. Long SF
3. Outside shooter
4. Outside shooter

CaptainLate
06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
hm. Splitter just won a championship 3 days ago. what do you call that?

He was MVP of the playoffs and MVP during the regular season. Apparently, A. Sabonis is the only other player to have done that, and we're getting a 25 yr old player. Sabonis was past his prime by the time Portland got him and he still was pretty darn good.

ploto
06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Between $3M and $4M.

Rumblings in SA are that it will indeed take the entire MLE- we'll see.

Spursfan092120
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Wait, why do people want Sato so much now? We had him and no one cared when the Spurs released him. What's happened since?
It's like that ex girlfriend you broke up with. You know why you did it, but later on, you always wonder what might have been at that time. But an ex is an ex for a reason.

spursfaninla
06-19-2010, 11:00 AM

if...for example...

someone?

anyone?

I was frustrated about this watching.

However, realize that the Celtics played their starters almost the whole game and were tired, where the lakers played their backup players more minutes and have mostly younger players than the celtics.

The celtics were tired and couldn't score. They were frustrated. They started fouling more when they could not stop penetration.

Some of the fouls were bad calls, but the celtics did get some calls the other way. I would have preferred if they kept it the way they were calling it before, without many foul calls, but they changed and the celtics did not adjust.

wildbill2u
06-19-2010, 11:46 AM
It's like that ex girlfriend you broke up with. You know why you did it, but later on, you always wonder what might have been at that time. But an ex is an ex for a reason.

According to DX in 2008 At his rookie NBA camp he measured only 6'3" in shoes but had a knuckledragging 6'11" wingspan. He didn't shoot well from the perimeter at the time nor did he have ball-handling skills for a guard..

He's developed his perimeter shooting in Europe (43% on 3s this year) and works hard on defense so he has moved up to the 9th rated international player according to DX.

However, how many minutes would he get in the NBA>and that seems to be his criteria. Hell, I don't blame him. A player wants to be on the court and even if its a lower rated league, better to be the big frog in the small pond, eh?.

lotr1trekkie
06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Splitter is what the doctor ordered: A ready to contribute big man. I also think the Spurs will move the 20th pick + something to get a solid veteran at whatever position they see a need. Personally, I still like Manu off the bench. A solid, defensive # 2 would fill that bill.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 12:29 PM
That was 2004...since then he has over 200 games worth of overseas experience with over 70 of those in Eurocup. He has built a reputation as one of the best perimeter defenders in Europe and he has averaged 40% from distance during his stint overseas. The Spurs have a hole at SG and he would be an experienced player in his prime that would come cheap.

Here's some highlights from this season(he was MVP of the Italian league):

ujUt5a7q6Bk

PublicOption
06-19-2010, 01:04 PM
pau gasol will be his bitch next year.

SenorSpur
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Splitter is what the doctor ordered: A ready to contribute big man. I also think the Spurs will move the 20th pick + something to get a solid veteran at whatever position they see a need. Personally, I still like Manu off the bench. A solid, defensive # 2 would fill that bill.

Why should the Spurs jettison their #20 pick (highest in 13 years). In a draft that is rich in SFs, that is the one position where they need immediate help.

TheProfessor
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Why should the Spurs jettison their #20 pick (highest in 13 years). In a draft that is rich in SFs, that is the one position where they need immediate help.
Because it is unlikely that someone at the 20th pick would provide immediate help from that position, or that Pop would even give them the opportunity their rookie year (our more recent draft selections notwithstanding). The fact that the pick is relatively high also gives it added value in case SF's the Spurs have targeted are all off the board, but another team is in love with someone else who drops. I think the Spurs see draft boards more fluidly than requiring they fill certain positions.

ploto
06-19-2010, 03:04 PM
pau gasol will be his bitch next year.

No.

06-19-2010, 04:27 PM
if the spurs acquire splitter, they will have enough youngins to contribute. blair, hill, splitter, and possibly hairston and temple. drafting a rookie seems almost pointless since he will still have to develop and may take a few years. unless the person drafted has been playing professional basketball for years (splitter) or is a top five pick like evans and rose, all rookies need time to adjust to the NBA.

hill maturing at year 2 is pretty rare and the spurs are lucky that he did. duncan possibly only has two years left so drafting a someone who will need a few years to adjust to the league seems like a waste.

Muser
06-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Drafting a rookie is vital, idk what you're talking about.

Vic Petro
06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
if the spurs acquire splitter, they will have enough youngins to contribute. blair, hill, splitter, and possibly hairston and temple. drafting a rookie seems almost pointless since he will still have to develop and may take a few years. unless the person drafted has been playing professional basketball for years (splitter) or is a top five pick like evans and rose, all rookies need time to adjust to the NBA.

hill maturing at year 2 is pretty rare and the spurs are lucky that he did. duncan possibly only has two years left so drafting a someone who will need a few years to adjust to the league seems like a waste.

There is still basketball to play after Tim Duncan retires. Drafting a rookie may seem pointless now but we drafted a guy in the second round last year that contributed pretty well.

TheProfessor
06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
There is still basketball to play after Tim Duncan retires. Drafting a rookie may seem pointless now but we drafted a guy in the second round last year that contributed pretty well.
Of course. And the Spurs are in decent position to get a good talent this year - more than one draft guru has said the draft evens out from about 10-20 in terms of talent this year. The reality is, however, that basketball after Tim Duncan will be a transition period. If the Spurs FO can improve our title chances in the next couple of years, and that involves moving this pick, they will do it.

temujin
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Title?
Which title?

last time I checked, Joey Crawford reffed 3 Games of the finals.

Is signing Splitter going to change that?

SenorSpur
06-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Because it is unlikely that someone at the 20th pick would provide immediate help from that position, or that Pop would even give them the opportunity their rookie year (our more recent draft selections notwithstanding). The fact that the pick is relatively high also gives it added value in case SF's the Spurs have targeted are all off the board, but another team is in love with someone else who drops. I think the Spurs see draft boards more fluidly than requiring they fill certain positions.

Agree to a point. Let's not forget this roster NEEDS to get younger. You're not going to accomplish that feat by giving away draft picks. Besides adding rooks via the draft is a very cheap way to improve the talent level, without the costs associated with adding a high-priced veteran.

Besides, the benefit of adding the best SF available @ #20, isn't with the idea of that player starting this season. It should be as a primary backup for RJ. If RJ is either traded or walks at the end of next season, then the Spurs would already have his replacement in place. Ideally, the rookie SF will be able to contribute some this season and hopefully start next year.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Title?
Which title?

last time I checked, Joey Crawford reffed 3 Games of the finals.

Is signing Splitter going to change that?
I probably won't. The Spurs should forget about Splitter and trade away all the players they have to save money...then when Joey Crawford retires they can start thinking about building again.

TheProfessor
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Agree to a point. Let's not forget this roster NEEDS to get younger. You're not going to accomplish that feat by giving away draft picks. Besides adding rooks via the draft is a very cheap way to improve the talent level, without the costs associated with adding a high-priced veteran.

Besides, the benefit of adding the best SF available @ #20, isn't with the idea of that player starting this season. It should be as a primary backup for RJ. If RJ is either traded or walks at the end of next season, then the Spurs would already have his replacement in place. Ideally, the rookie SF will be able to contribute some this season and hopefully start next year.
I'm certain the Spurs FO hopes similarly on both counts, but that's dependent on a player dropping to 20 that the Spurs are comfortable with backing up RJ in his rookie season, and then transitioning to starter within one year in a very difficult system. We just can't know if that player is on the board until draft night. Without trading up, I have my doubts right now.

06-20-2010, 02:06 AM
all rookies will need time to adjust to the nba. they will have their ups and downs. any downs will immediately convince popovich to bench him in the playoffs. there is a reason why not many rookies are not allowed to play big minutes in the playoffs. the spurs should be in all in mode until duncan retires. then they can rebuild. now is not the time to think about the future.

hill, blair, splitter, parker (if extended), and apparently ginobili (contract extension) will be enough to prevent the spurs from becoming a complete disaster after duncan retires.

if the spurs can get a reliable veteran for the 20th, then there is no reason not to do it. of course, the value will have to equal. the spurs should not be getting some 35 year old over the hill veteran.

MmP
06-20-2010, 02:12 AM
All this hype for a player we don't even know how it will turn out to be.

AFBlue
06-20-2010, 02:26 AM
All this hype for a player we don't even know how it will turn out to be.

Pretty sure no one is calling him the savior, but getting him does address a critical need to get younger, longer and more athletic in the frontcourt. It also helps that he's not your typical NBA rookie, having played against top-level competition in big games.

Given his production and skill-set, there IS reason to be excited about the possibility of him in a Spurs uni next year.

SenorSpur
06-20-2010, 02:40 AM
all rookies will need time to adjust to the nba. they will have their ups and downs. any downs will immediately convince popovich to bench him in the playoffs. there is a reason why not many rookies are not allowed to play big minutes in the playoffs. the spurs should be in all in mode until duncan retires. then they can rebuild. now is not the time to think about the future.
hill, blair, splitter, parker (if extended), and apparently ginobili (contract extension) will be enough to prevent the spurs from becoming a complete disaster after duncan retires.

if the spurs can get a reliable veteran for the 20th, then there is no reason not to do it. of course, the value will have to equal. the spurs should not be getting some 35 year old over the hill veteran.

Most rookies...not all rookies. Blair, while he had his learning curve, played like a grizzly veteran as the season wore on. In fact, he had far more productive minutes than most and was one of the few standout rookies last season. Same for Tyreke Evans, Darren Collison and a couple of other rookies.

There is no "reliable veteran" that the Spurs can get with an offer of only their 20th pick. They will have to give up something of value in order to get value in return. In doing so, this will only create another need somewhere else at a different position. That's a short-sighted approach and not the way to go.

Furthermore, as hard as it may be to believe, this Spurs team, as currently constructed, isn't capable of overthrowing the Fakers and winning a title next year. That window has passed. Unless we're talking LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh, there is no quick fix or magical remedy that will better position the Spurs in their quest of winning a title next year.

The Spurs have been in "all-in" mode for the past 3 seasons. For whatever reason, it hasn't worked. They are no closer to challenging the Fakers than they were in '08 - and their core has gotten older. The manner in which the Suns ran roughshod over the Spurs should have been convincing enough. They made the Spurs look old, tired and slow. The only antidote for that is acquiring younger, fresher, quicker, more athletic players to augment the skill level of this roster. Besides, unless RJ suddenly decides to opt-out, they will have very limited financial flexibility anyway.

The Spurs would be better served filling their roster holes via the draft and possibly via low-cost free agents. If do they do that, yet still fall short of title contention, so be it. They will be better prepared going forward.

DJB
06-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Someone make one of those Splitter in a Spurs jersey photoshop jobs, like the knicks fans in ny do for Lebron.

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Tiago interview but no news

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Hemos/aprendido/confiar/mismos/elpepudep/20100620elpepudep_5/Tes

P. Josean Querejeta, presidente del Caja Laboral, declaró que vería "normal" su salida hacia la NBA [San Antonio Spurs poseen sus derechos]...

R. Es verdad. Todos saben cuál es mi situación, con dos años más de contrato con opción de salida. Todos estos años dije que jugar en la NBA es un sueño que tengo en mi cabeza. Espero decidirlo cuanto antes. Además, este verano me caso, tengo el Mundial de Turquía...

'All those years I said play in the NBA is a dream and I wants to decide ASAP because there's also the Turkey Tournament'

silverblk mystix
06-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Tiago interview but no news

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Hemos/aprendido/confiar/mismos/elpepudep/20100620elpepudep_5/Tes

'All those years I said play in the NBA is a dream and I wants to decide ASAP because there's also the Turkey Tournament'

Question:
Josean Querejeta,president of Caja Laboral, declared that he would view-as normal- your leaving for the NBA (San Antonio Spurs own splitters rights)

Response;

It is true. Everyone knows my situation, two years left on my contract with an opt out clause/option. All of these years I've said that i have a dream in my head to play in the NBA. I expect to decide as soon as possible. In addition, this summer I will get married, I have the Turkey (World) Tournament...

...tried to translate the essence a bit closer---hope I didn't misrepresent anything...if any experts out there---feel free to revise...

TDMVPDPOY
06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
wtf does he wanna play in the turkey tourney, when he can come here sign the contract, take a rest and get married, get ready for drive for 5

silverblk mystix
06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
wtf does he wanna play in the turkey tourney, when he can come here sign the contract, take a rest and get married, get ready for drive for 5

there is ALWAYS that issue with int'l players...

sure the spurs---and the nba in general -- get some good players...

but there is always a negative side when you are faced with injuries which could be attributed to the extra wear and tear on players...

MaNu4Tres
06-20-2010, 10:43 AM
There is no "reliable veteran" that the Spurs can get with an offer of only their 20th pick. They will have to give up something of value in order to get value in return. In doing so, this will only create another need somewhere else at a different position. That's a short-sighted approach and not the way to go.

If Spurs don't like anyone available at 20, that pick will have value and Spurs could possibly get a quality bench player on the rookie scale salary like they did with Speedy Claxton on draft night in 2002.

The Spurs have been in "all-in" mode for the past 3 seasons. For whatever reason, it hasn't worked.

In 2008 Manu was playing on one leg, in 2009 Manu was out for the playoffs. Those are a few important reasons why it hasn't worked. Don't get me wrong, I understand the Lakers were the most talented team, but the Spurs didn't have their gun fully loaded so to speak to where we can fairly make the correct assessment.

They are no closer to challenging the Fakers than they were in '08 - and their core has gotten older.

The Boston Celtics give me some hope as Duncan is still the better player than Garnett.

I'd give Manu the slight nod on Paul Pierce even though its close.

And I still believe Tony is a better offensive player than Rondo, even though Rondo has a better overall floor game especially on the defensive end off the ball ( Tony is a very underrated on the ball defender.)

Can Hill and R.J both contribute as much as Allen? I think so!

Spurs just need Splitter to be the Spurs' Kendrick Perkins as a superior interior positional defender (which he is). That being said I'd give Splitter the nod over Perkins, because he is a more viable threat on the offensive end with his back to the basket IMO. (Then again to judge these two players is premature because Splitter has yet to play in the league, much less sign with the Spurs.)

And don't forget just as Manu and Duncan are getting older, so is Kobe. (perhaps the oldest soon to be 32 year old in the history of the league.)

The manner in which the Suns ran roughshod over the Spurs should have been convincing enough. They made the Spurs look old, tired and slow.

I don't think the Spurs looked old or tired the first 42 minutes of just about playoff game. I just think Pop was wrong about the minute distribution and overplayed the top 6 guys in the rotation in the playoffs, which hurt the overall execution on both ends of the floor in the 4th quarter. (Especially Duncan and Manu's productivity during the closing minutes)

I understand that Tim is a competitor, but the guy can't play 42 minutes a night in the playoffs (or play the whole second half) and be as effective in put up or shut up time. I'm sorry he can't and the same can be said for Ginobili, Parker and even Hill. And this has nothing to do with getting as much rest as possible during the regular season. In order for the Spurs to reach their full potential and in order for them to be able to execute as efficiently as possible in closing minutes to win games, they have to keep Duncan and Manu's minutes limited under 35 for them to be as effective and efficient as possible in the closing minutes of the 4th quarters to get wins.

Duncan and Manu were simply gassed at the end of pretty much every game in the playoffs from the Dallas series to the Suns series and it hurt their 4th quarter execution, especially in the Suns series. And I believe the weight that transferred over to Hill's shoulders was too much for him (42-45 minutes a night guarding players bigger than him and having to score offensively). IMO

Pop needs to trust and put more weight on the shoulders of Blair, Splitter, maybe Mahinmi and whoever sticks as the 5th wing in the regular season to give them the confidence to be able to contribute at a high level in April, May and possibly June. And if that's the case, the age factor won't be an issue because Duncan and Ginobili will have their minutes limited to the point where they can still be consistently productive in the 4th quarter of close games when it matters. (Limited as no more than 35 minutes a night)

Besides, unless RJ suddenly decides to opt-out, they will have very limited financial flexibility anyway.

If R.J opts out Spurs will still only have the MLE to make additions.

lrrr
06-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Hopefully Splitter will be more of a rookie in the Manu Ginobili mould. He is a similar age to Manu when he first came to the NBA with similar experiences in Europe, and he is a proven winner on the 2nd biggest stage. His game has also had years of refinement and good teaaching of fundamentals in Europe.

You can't compare him with a 19 year old coming into his first professional gig.

J_Paco
06-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Furthermore, as hard as it may be to believe, this Spurs team, as currently constructed, isn't capable of overthrowing the Fakers and winning a title next year. That window has passed. Unless we're talking LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh, there is no quick fix or magical remedy that will better position the Spurs in their quest of winning a title next year.

The Spurs have been in "all-in" mode for the past 3 seasons. For whatever reason, it hasn't worked. They are no closer to challenging the Fakers than they were in '08 - and their core has gotten older. The manner in which the Suns ran roughshod over the Spurs should have been convincing enough. They made the Spurs look old, tired and slow.

First off, no player will guarantee any team any sort of success or championship. A team acquiring LeBron, Dwyane or Chris won't be successful unless they augment those individual superstars (LeBron and Dwyane) or star (Bosh) with considerable talent. Unless two of those guys join forces I believe they'll have just as hard of a time to win a championship as they do now.

Secondly, obviously the team as constructed last season wasn't going to win the championship. They just didn't have the right mixture of size, depth, talent and defensive ability to even challenge Phoenix. But, they went against a team that ran 10 players deep with consistent minutes and defined roles given to all. While, Popovich went to a short bench, sporadic minutes given to many players and many not having a defined role throughout the season and playoffs. If Pop continues that routine into next season the team is fucked either way.

Lastly, Los Angeles hasn't existed in some vacuum where Kobe, Derek, Pau, Lamar and Andrew haven't aged. They've all struggled with declining play, fatigue or injury throughout the past three seasons. I could easily see one of Fisher, Odom or Artest play falling off a cliff do to the long seasons they've endured. Kobe has already showed signs of his body and athleticism not being the same any longer. While Bynum may never reach his full potential because of his constant knee issues that have hampered and slowed his development. Plus, there is the fact that L.A. is way over the cap and won't be able to acquire high caliber talent. Their current weaknesses will only become more pronounced from here on.

My point is that the Spurs might not get the best of Los Angeles, though I think Splitter and a quality draft pick will seriously help, but I believe that someone likely will next season. They've played 100+ games three consecutive seasons, now. They can't seriously improve their team beyond its current make-up. The lucky breaks and injuries will begin to go against their favor. The Spurs, and every other Western Conf. team, need to come out strong and hit L.A. hard from the outset and see if they truly are a historical team next season.

Parker2112
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
If Spurs don't like anyone available at 20, that pick will have value and Spurs could possibly get a quality bench player on the rookie scale salary like they did with Speedy Claxton on draft night in 2002.

In 2008 Manu was playing on one leg, in 2009 Manu was out for the playoffs. Those are a few important reasons why it hasn't worked. Don't get me wrong, I understand the Lakers were the most talented team, but the Spurs didn't have their gun fully loaded so to speak to where we can fairly make the correct assessment.

The Boston Celtics give me some hope as Duncan is still the better player than Garnett.

I'd give Manu the slight nod on Paul Pierce even though its close.

And I still believe Tony is a better offensive player than Rondo, even though Rondo has a better overall floor game especially on the defensive end off the ball ( Tony is a very underrated on the ball defender.)

Can Hill and R.J both contribute as much as Allen? I think so!

Spurs just need Splitter to be the Spurs' Kendrick Perkins as a superior interior positional defender (which he is). That being said I'd give Splitter the nod over Perkins, because he is a more viable threat on the offensive end with his back to the basket IMO. (Then again to judge these two players is premature because Splitter has yet to play in the league, much less sign with the Spurs.)

And don't forget just as Manu and Duncan are getting older, so is Kobe. (perhaps the oldest soon to be 32 year old in the history of the league.)

I don't think the Spurs looked old or tired the first 42 minutes of just about playoff game. I just think Pop was wrong about the minute distribution and overplayed the top 6 guys in the rotation in the playoffs, which hurt the overall execution on both ends of the floor in the 4th quarter. (Especially Duncan and Manu's productivity during the closing minutes)

I understand that Tim is a competitor, but the guy can't play 42 minutes a night in the playoffs (or play the whole second half) and be as effective in put up or shut up time. I'm sorry he can't and the same can be said for Ginobili, Parker and even Hill. And this has nothing to do with getting as much rest as possible during the regular season. In order for the Spurs to reach their full potential and in order for them to be able to execute as efficiently as possible in closing minutes to win games, they have to keep Duncan and Manu's minutes limited under 35 for them to be as effective and efficient as possible in the closing minutes of the 4th quarters to get wins.

Duncan and Manu were simply gassed at the end of pretty much every game in the playoffs from the Dallas series to the Suns series and it hurt their 4th quarter execution, especially in the Suns series. And I believe the weight that transferred over to Hill's shoulders was too much for him (42-45 minutes a night guarding players bigger than him and having to score offensively). IMO

Pop needs to trust and put more weight on the shoulders of Blair, Splitter, maybe Mahinmi and whoever sticks as the 5th wing in the regular season to give them the confidence to be able to contribute at a high level in April, May and possibly June. And if that's the case, the age factor won't be an issue because Duncan and Ginobili will have their minutes limited to the point where they can still be consistently productive in the 4th quarter of close games when it matters. (Limited as no more than 35 minutes a night)

If R.J opts out Spurs will still only have the MLE to make additions.

So by your logic, we are a Kendrick Perkins away from challenging for a championship? You claim we are better at every position but Perkins? We dont have the clutch shooting they get from Pierce and Allen...Rondo has intangibles that Tony doesnt have, namely defense and steals...and even though I would like to say TD is better than KG right now, TD cant even jump anymore. Case in point: KG isnt getting roofed by Gasol on a regular basis.

:nope

Think about it: Trade out Perkins for Dice on the Spurs...you're saying we are in the finals? We arent even close. We arent playing championship D at any position...yet you didnt even mention defense.

The intangibles are why the Celts beat Orlando, Cavs, and almost the Lakers. You give us perkins and we would be lucky to win 2 against Phoenix.

WE NEED SOME DEFENSIVE MINDED BALLERS WITH BALLS!

BackHome
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
+1 Even with the addition of Splitter I think we are going to need another young big man. Both Dice and Duncan are going have to get limited minutes and you are going to need another big to play with Splitter. I know we have the Grizz but he is short and slow and will not get much playing time against teams like the Flakers and Suns.

I am just wondering if we traded Hill to Indiana for getting their 10 pick would getting Sato make sense? And would we be a better team with Sato and Ed Davis/Paul George?

Spurologist
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Someone make one of those Splitter in a Spurs jersey photoshop jobs, like the knicks fans in ny do for Lebron.

:tu

milkyway21
06-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Tiago Splitter

Vitals: 6-11 245
Position: PF/C
NBA Comparison: Al Horford with more skills
Status: unrestricted free agent (he has a player option on his contract) - draft rights held by the San Antonio Spurs so another team would have to trade for his rights before signing him.

My Assessment: Splitter is a legit 6-11 big man that is known for his team defense and his efficient offense. He is experienced and consistent and he could be used as a 4 or 5 on either end of the court in the NBA. He is a very steady player and is surely a target of a lot of NBA teams. Potential NBA starting PF or starting C.

NBA Scout Assessment: An NBA scout said this of Splitter, "Not being able to sign Splitter after the draft might have cost the Spurs a championship or two".

http://www.talkbasket.net/blogs/top-10-euroleague-free-agent-nba-prospects-2954.html

if the Spurs can sign Tiago there's a chance we could stop a Laker's 3-peat hopes for next season. And I like the thought of it(just like in 2003). :D

SenorSpur
06-21-2010, 12:22 AM
My point is that the Spurs might not get the best of Los Angeles, though I think Splitter and a quality draft pick will seriously help, but I believe that someone likely will next season. They've played 100+ games three consecutive seasons, now. They can't seriously improve their team beyond its current make-up. The lucky breaks and injuries will begin to go against their favor. The Spurs, and every other Western Conf. team, need to come out strong and hit L.A. hard from the outset and see if they truly are a historical team next season.

That's the point I was originally trying to make. The Spurs were never going to get the best of the Fakers because they didn't have the horses. They simply weren't in the same neighborhood. Their inability to combat the Fakers length has been an issue ever since they acquired Pau Gasol in '08, and was only compounded further after Andrew Bynum began to emerge. Hopefully, the addition of Splitter and the emergence of Ian, as a regular rotation player, can help offset that deficiency.

My point other point was that based upon the Spurs needs, and with a draft that is fairly deep in SFs, there is absolutely no reason to trade away their #20 pick. They should be able to get a young, athletic player of value that could possibly contribute some this coming season, with expectations for a larger role in the 2012 season.

Basically, the Spurs can use this offseason to try and close the gap on the Fakers. However, let's not assume that whatever offseason upgrades they make will suddenly vault them back into contention for the Western Conference. We saw how that worked out this past season.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-21-2010, 12:52 AM
My point other point was that based upon the Spurs needs, and with a draft that is fairly deep in SFs, there is absolutely no reason to trade away their #20 pick. They should be able to get a young, athletic player of value that could possibly contribute some this coming season, with expectations for a larger role in the 2012 season.

Basically, the Spurs can use this offseason to try and close the gap on the Fakers. However, let's not assume that whatever offseason upgrades they make will suddenly vault them back into contention for the Western Conference. We saw how that worked out this past season.

I beg to differ. I dont believe the gap between the Lakers is as great as fans think. The addition of Splitter would address the length issue. With a frontcourt of Duncan, Dice, Splitter and Blair the argument could be made that our frontcourt is more talented and definitely deeper than what the Lakers currently have. Obviously Gasol is the best big man on both teams but Im not impressed with Bynum. I think he has reached his ceiling and other than one good year he had several years ago he is going to be a serviceable big man for his career. Odom has his issues and really lacks the low post skills to be considered a true big man.

As far as the 20th pick I definitely think that the Spurs should not trade that draft pick. My only concern is that do you draft a young underclassman with lots of potentional (upside) or go with a junior or senior that is more seasoned and can contribute next year. My choice is to draft an upperclassman such as Damion Jones that can give you rebounds, defense, energy and hustle on the defensive side. Yet can shoot the outside jumper and putbacks on the offensive side of the ball.

Most fans are asking the Spurs to draft a 3pt shooter, athletic guy but Im not so sure the need would be so great next year. The addition of Splitter is going to make the team more athletic thus causing to teams move around much more on defense (especially on the pick and roll in which Splitter is going to shine). Also, I think Jefferson's game will improve greatly with his familiarity on offense and the addition of Splitters passing ability. For a big man Tim is one of the best passers in the NBA however Splitter may become second best passer behind Manu. The Spurs are going to be fun to watch next year.

The 2010-11 edition of the Spurs is a solid eight deep plus two more players that will give the Spurs the distinction of having the best bench in the league and one of the top four teams in the NBA.

SenorSpur
06-21-2010, 01:59 AM
I beg to differ. I dont believe the gap between the Lakers is as great as fans think. The addition of Splitter would address the length issue. With a frontcourt of Duncan, Dice, Splitter and Blair the argument could be made that our frontcourt is more talented and definitely deeper than what the Lakers currently have. Obviously Gasol is the best big man on both teams but Im not impressed with Bynum. I think he has reached his ceiling and other than one good year he had several years ago he is going to be a serviceable big man for his career. Odom has his issues and really lacks the low post skills to be considered a true big man.

Getting swept out the playoffs by a good Phoenix Suns team, with whom the Spurs struggled to match up with, doesn't instill any confidence that this Spurs team had any real chance of competiting with the Fakers. Currently, I believe the gap between Spurs and Fakers is wide. How much that gap is closed is dependent upon how the Spurs fare this summer.

Yes, Gasol IS the best big man on both teams. Bynum has been oft-injured, however he still is a commanding presence when he's in the game. Remember, he's a legit 7'1", takes up a lot of space, and is only 23 years old. If he can get on track with good health, he'll be more than serviceable for years to come. As for Odom, even though he plays SF and has PG skills, he's still 6'10", which makes him a very versatile frontline player. He's a mental midget, but his size and length causes most teams all sorts of matchup nightmares.

As far as the 20th pick I definitely think that the Spurs should not trade that draft pick. My only concern is that do you draft a young underclassman with lots of potentional (upside) or go with a junior or senior that is more seasoned and can contribute next year. My choice is to draft an upperclassman such as Damion Jones that can give you rebounds, defense, energy and hustle on the defensive side. Yet can shoot the outside jumper and putbacks on the offensive side of the ball.
The calling card of the Spurs front office is they prefer to draft intelligent, mature players, with demonstrated good character. That said, and all other things being equal, it would be interesting to know how the FO has ranked the SFs in this draft, regardless of classification. My guess is the Spurs probably like the triumverate of Paul George, Xavier Henry, and Luke Babbitt. They probably have all these guys on their radar. I would guess that if they are all gone by #20, I could see the Spurs taking Damion James.

Most fans are asking the Spurs to draft a 3pt shooter, athletic guy but Im not so sure the need would be so great next year. The addition of Splitter is going to make the team more athletic thus causing to teams move around much more on defense (especially on the pick and roll in which Splitter is going to shine).

It's fairly obvious that the Spurs are in need of perimeter shooting. To date, the RJ experiment hasn't paid the expected dividends - on either end of the court. One of the reasons RJ failed, besides him being uncomfortable in half-court offense, is he can't space the floor with 3-pt shooting. That's just not his forte. That weapon is desparately needed to open up driving lanes for TP and Manu. A suitable and sizable backup for RJ is needed - especially since none of us knows how much longer the Spurs will be willing to continue the RJ experiment. Therefore, it would be prudent to begin grooming his replacement NOW. The mid-round pick in this draft would afford the Spurs that opportunity.

The Splitter acquisition will certainly help their pick-n-roll offense and interior defense, but I wouldn't go as far as to proclaim him as an instant infusion of athleticism along the frontline. I still believe that is where more minutes for Ian will help in that area. I've seen enough out of him to believe he can provide the additional rebounding, shotblocking, along with some additional low-post scoring and defense.

The Splitter acquisition notwithstanding, the Spurs STILL need to get quicker and more athletic on the wings. In addition to exposing the Spurs inability to defend the pick-n-roll, the Suns also clearly exposed the Spurs overall lack of quickness on the perimeter. Remember, the Spurs have been in gradual defensive decline for the past 3 seasons, as defensive-minded players have been sacrificed for players, who could generate more offense. Time to focus on acquiring players that can help at both ends.

temujin
06-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Get real: Trade Splitter for Joey Crawford.

objective
06-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Splitter does have one thing done . . . he done lost his mind!

http://www.larioja.com/prensa/noticias/201006/20/fotos/2931426.jpg

Splitter decides to dress up like Little Red Riding Hood for some reason (http://www.larioja.com/v/20100620/deportes/baloncesto/splitter-celebra-exitos-calle-20100620.html)

silverblk mystix
06-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Getting swept out the playoffs by a good Phoenix Suns team, with whom the Spurs struggled to match up with, doesn't instill any confidence that this Spurs team had any real chance of competiting with the Fakers. Currently, I believe the gap between Spurs and Fakers is wide. How much that gap is closed is dependent upon how the Spurs fare this summer.

Yes, Gasol IS the best big man on both teams. Bynum has been oft-injured, however he still is a commanding presence when he's in the game. Remember, he's a legit 7'1", takes up a lot of space, and is only 23 years old. If he can get on track with good health, he'll be more than serviceable for years to come. As for Odom, even though he plays SF and has PG skills, he's still 6'10", which makes him a very versatile frontline player. He's a mental midget, but his size and length causes most teams all sorts of matchup nightmares.

The calling card of the Spurs front office is they prefer to draft intelligent, mature players, with demonstrated good character. That said, and all other things being equal, it would be interesting to know how the FO has ranked the SFs in this draft, regardless of classification. My guess is the Spurs probably like the triumverate of Paul George, Xavier Henry, and Luke Babbitt. They probably have all these guys on their radar. I would guess that if they are all gone by #20, I could see the Spurs taking Damion James.

It's fairly obvious that the Spurs are in need of perimeter shooting. To date, the RJ experiment hasn't paid the expected dividends - on either end of the court. One of the reasons RJ failed, besides him being uncomfortable in half-court offense, is he can't space the floor with 3-pt shooting. That's just not his forte. That weapon is desparately needed to open up driving lanes for TP and Manu. A suitable and sizable backup for RJ is needed - especially since none of us knows how much longer the Spurs will be willing to continue the RJ experiment. Therefore, it would be prudent to begin grooming his replacement NOW. The mid-round pick in this draft would afford the Spurs that opportunity.

The Splitter acquisition will certainly help their pick-n-roll offense and interior defense, but I wouldn't go as far as to proclaim him as an instant infusion of athleticism along the frontline. I still believe that is where more minutes for Ian will help in that area. I've seen enough out of him to believe he can provide the additional rebounding, shotblocking, along with some additional low-post scoring and defense.

The Splitter acquisition notwithstanding, the Spurs STILL need to get quicker and more athletic on the wings. In addition to exposing the Spurs inability to defend the pick-n-roll, the Suns also clearly exposed the Spurs overall lack of quickness on the perimeter. Remember, the Spurs have been in gradual defensive decline for the past 3 seasons, as defensive-minded players have been sacrificed for players, who could generate more offense. Time to focus on acquiring players that can help at both ends.

...all interesting points...

one thing to remember though;

you never know WHO will be the team standing in the way at the end of the season---

for a couple of years it was dallas---this past season the spurs got past dallas---and then phoenix is suddenly better...

you can plan all you want and put the lakers as the team to beat---but a OKC or a portland team could end up eliminating the lakers----and/or---the spurs...

my point is---spurs have to somehow build a team that is using the nba rules---and upcoming rules and changes---to be the team that capitalizes first and is able to dominate--UNTIL---the nba changes them again...

remember when the spurs defense with the TWIN towers and a prime BOWEN--dominated ---and changed the league?

then the nba changed the rules to allow a lebron or kobe or durant---to NOT get manhandled ---

so what can the spurs do to build a team that can be dominant BEFORE the nba gets involved---and then it WON'T matter as much WHO they have to go through...

elgato21
06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Here in Spain, everybody says that he is 99,9% in Nba.
All depends how much Spurs want him...
Real Madrid already sign Dor Fisher...

Mel_13
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
so what can the spurs do to build a team that can be dominant BEFORE the nba gets involved---and then it WON'T matter as much WHO they have to go through...

Do you have any idea how to answer that question? I know that I sure don't. It seems to me that anyone who did know how to answer that question could name his own price with at least two dozen NBA teams.

ajh18
06-21-2010, 03:46 PM

The 2010-11 edition of the Spurs is a solid eight deep plus two more players that will give the Spurs the distinction of having the best bench in the league and one of the top four teams in the NBA.

I agree that in terms of talent, the gap between us and the Lakers isn't as big as some people seem to think. Yes, Phoenix swept us, but I think people vastly underrate chemistry and matchups on this board and attribute too much to raw talent. I always remember those early 2000s portland teams, that were absolutely LOADED... but never even made it to the finals.

So, for that matter, were the pre-threepeat Lakers. But nothing. Our talent is on par with the Celtics. It's about who we play though, and how well our players are "clicking" when we play them.

Seventyniner
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
...all interesting points...

one thing to remember though;

you never know WHO will be the team standing in the way at the end of the season---

for a couple of years it was dallas---this past season the spurs got past dallas---and then phoenix is suddenly better...

you can plan all you want and put the lakers as the team to beat---but a OKC or a portland team could end up eliminating the lakers----and/or---the spurs...

my point is---spurs have to somehow build a team that is using the nba rules---and upcoming rules and changes---to be the team that capitalizes first and is able to dominate--UNTIL---the nba changes them again...

remember when the spurs defense with the TWIN towers and a prime BOWEN--dominated ---and changed the league?

then the nba changed the rules to allow a lebron or kobe or durant---to NOT get manhandled ---

+1

This offseason, RC and Pop don't need to catch the Lakers per se, just build the best possible team and let the chips fall where they may. Just look at the Suns; they got rid of Porter and Shaq, and got to the WCF. Embracing (and/or creating!) your identity is a much better plan than trying to match up with a specific team.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't know how reliable bleacherreport.com is, but they are suggesting that the Spurs will indeed be signing Splitter. This was from yesterday:

Three time Spanishcup MVP, Tiago Splitter, is prepared to make his move to the NBA, according to thehoopmarket.com. (http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/tiago-splitter-closer-to-play-in-nba.html)
Each summer since the Spurs drafted Splitter in 2007, Spurs' fans have been teased with the idea of Splitter wearing silver and black, only to have their hopes dashed as he would again refuse to leave Spain.
Splitter's contract with Spanish league's Tau Ceramica payed him $3.5 million a season and the Spurs could only pay him roughly around $3.3 million a season. Splitter—not wanting to take a pay cut, buy out his current contract, and then move half way across the world at the age of 22—decided to remain in the Spanish league.
This summer, Splitter can opt out of his Spanish league contract and jump to NBA. Reports say he wants to play with and against the best so it is likely he'll make the move. The Spurs can now pay $5.5 million (and have every intention of doing so) and Splitter wouldn't be forced to dish a buy out to Tau Ceramica.
The rights to Splitter are still owned by the San Antonio Spurs, as they took him with the 28th pick in the 2007 draft. The Spurs knew it would be an issue getting Splitter to come to the NBA but knew he was a player worth waiting for.
It seems this long awaited investment by the Spurs may have payed off. Splitter, who at the time he was drafted was considered a top 10 pick, has done nothing but sharpen his tools in the Spanish league.
Splitter is a 25 year old 6'11" center from Brazil who plays in Spain. To go along with his three MVPs while playing for Tau Ceramica, Splitter and Tau Ceramica went on to win the Spanish league title in 2010. Splitter won one of his Spanishcup MVPs last season; averaging 15 points a game off of 59 percent shooting in 28 minutes of play.
With the Spurs needing an efficient big more than ever this offseason, they may not even worry about the free agent frenzy this summer if they can snag Splitter.
Once again, it seems R.C. Buford and the Spurs management have found another international gem.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409245-spanish-league-mvp-to-make-jump-to-nba

rayray2k8
06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
^Thanks for the update.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
+1

This offseason, RC and Pop don't need to catch the Lakers per se, just build the best possible team and let the chips fall where they may. Just look at the Suns; they got rid of Porter and Shaq, and got to the WCF. Embracing (and/or creating!) your identity is a much better plan than trying to match up with a specific team.

I've never liked the idea that a team needs to build themselves up just to beat one team. I believe if you do that, then you're setting yourself up for failure. If you assemble your team together, using a winning formula, then I think you have a good chance of winning. If you try and throw your team together, and to try and outdo another team, then IMO you don't have a good chance of winning.

SenorSpur
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Disagree. The FO MUST keep an eye on making changes necessary to combat the NBA Champions. Roster versatility is the key. Having skilled players that enable a coach to play different styles is both a luxury and a good idea. The Spurs are no longer the biggest threat to the Fakers. They have now slipped back to the middle of the pack. We saw this during the playoffs.

That said, the Fakers ARE the Big Dogs on the block and have been for about 3 years. Everyone is chasing them. Pop has been trying to beat them with various stretch 4's and small lineups - and it hasn't worked. Maybe because he's been using inferior players. Perhaps because they've not had sufficient play from all their bigs - not named Duncan.

Boston was able to take them to the limit because they have enough bigs to combat them. Once they lost Perkins to injury, it was game over. The bottom line is if you cannot match up with the Fakers size and length, you're dead.

They need to make changes with an eye on both the top teams in the conference, but particularly the Fakers.

Mel_13
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
They need to make changes with an eye

You left us hangin', senor.

SenorSpur
06-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I guess that's what you call a thought that trailed off :lol

Thanks Mr. Mel

manufan10
06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe because he's been using inferior players. Perhaps because they've not had sufficient play from all their bigs - not named Duncan.

I think this is what's happening. I think the Spurs had the right idea, but they just didn't have the right pieces. If you can spread the floor, then you unclog the paint. When you play against the Lakers, everyone talks about size. If you are able to spread the bigs out, say using a 3 point shooting 4, then you diminish the size advantage because either Gasol or Bynum would have to cover the 3 point line. Instead of trying to match the Lakers big for big, I think the Spurs had the right idea.

IMO, I think that's why the Celtics played better when Rasheed was out there. He helped spread the floor, and he was able to play defense on either Gasol or Bynum. The Spurs had Matt Bonner, not even close to Sheed.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 10:37 AM

I guess that's what you call a thought that trailed off :lol

Thanks Mr. Mel

:lol

I hate when I do that.

EricB
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Your forget we have to defend them at the other end, Oh and rebound, and try to score in the paint against them........The shooting 4 only works when you have great slashers or great post up guys who are not stopped by one man.

We have niether.

The Spurs don't have great slashers?

WTF?

Are Parker and Ginobili chopped liver or am I missing something?

LongtimeSpursFan
06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
GH3 is a slasher. RJ used to be.

manufan10
06-23-2010, 02:11 PM
The Spurs don't have great slashers?

WTF?

Are Parker and Ginobili chopped liver or am I missing something?

If they're not slashers then I don't know what they are.

rjv
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
a solid 3, some more depth at 3 or the reincarnation of one richard jefferson would be a big boost on top of snagging splitter

rayray2k8
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Really hope 'the savior' comes.

benefactor
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Pray Spurstalk. Pray.

spectator
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
cant he get around $5 mil still?

benefactor
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
It now becomes much easier to give him the full MLE with no tax to worry about.

DPG21920
06-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Yes. Spurs still have the same amount to work with.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
we dont need splitter we have richards, lmao naw but hes coming no way he turns it down

TD 21
06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
The Spurs couldn't have seriously been stupid enough to not sign Splitter (even if it took the full MLE) even if Jefferson hadn't opted out. Now that he unexpectedly has, the odds of them signing Splitter only increase.

As an aside, if the Spurs end up going bargain basket cheap at SF, then I could see them re-signing Bonner, or at least trying to. He'd have to accept being a fifth big for a season, though I'm sure he'd play more than the typical fifth big (Spurs would probably sit Duncan and McDyess more), but still, he'd be relegated to that status until after next season when McDyess retires.

benefactor
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/praying-cat-1.jpg

angelbelow
06-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Hoping for some wonderful news tonight..

EricB
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
:lol @ praying cat

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
The Spurs couldn't have seriously been stupid enough to not sign Splitter (even if it took the full MLE) even if Jefferson hadn't opted out. Now that he unexpectedly has, the odds of them signing Splitter only increase.

The hang-up isn't on this side of the pond. Splitter has to commit to coming over. Rest assured, the Spurs have a hard-on for this guy and are doing everything they can to get him in.

DPG21920
06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
:lmao at praying cat now.

Juanobili
07-01-2010, 04:30 AM

I rarely "laugh out loud" but I just did to that picture :lmao

UnWantedTheory
07-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Purrrty Kitty

milkyway21
07-01-2010, 05:26 AM

:lmao @ the cat

OMG, this Splitter coming over to join the Spurs is making me nervous with excitement..

Please make it happen..............SOON.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
u k now what can affect us signin splitter

seeing a fkn moron from the wolves giving out 7m a season to pekovic, could force splitter to rethink why should he sign for the MLE when his main rival is gettin paid more then him....

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
u k now what can affect us signin splitter

seeing a fkn moron from the wolves giving out 7m a season to pekovic, could force splitter to rethink why should he sign for the MLE when his main rival is gettin paid more then him....

The only person saying Pekovic would get 7M a season was KBP.

Actual deal is 3yrs/13M.

The Minnesota Timberwolves reached a verbal agreement on a three-year, $13 million contract with their 2008 second-round pick Nikola Pekovic, two league sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5344931

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-01-2010, 07:16 AM

Actual deal is 3yrs/13M.

The Minnesota Timberwolves reached a verbal agreement on a three-year, $13 million contract with their 2008 second-round pick Nikola Pekovic, two league sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford

Jew LIES! He will get paid by Panathiolypicosissus more than max NBA contract and will be fed gyros by mermaid virgins at moonlight!

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Need translation

Baskonia planifica el futuro condicionado por la probable marcha de Splitter
Noticias EFEVitoria, 30 jun (EFE).- El Caja Laboral está planificando la nueva plantilla de la temporada 2010-11 en función del rompecabezas que supone encontrar el recambio del pívot brasileño Tiago Splitter.
En el entorno del club se da por hecho la más que probable marcha del Jugador Más Valioso de la fase regular y de la final de la ACB a los San Antonio Spurs de la NBA. Su adiós de Vitoria debe oficializarse como muy tarde el 15 de julio, fecha tope del brasileño para comunicar al club su decisión.
A partir de ese movimiento se desencadenarán las contrataciones de hombres para el juego interior que cubran su ausencia. La continuidad de Stanko Barac dependerá de cómo evolucione y mejore de sus molestias físicas que le impiden rendir con normalidad a su mejor nivel.
El rompecabezas de cubrir la salida de Splitter se complica además con la necesidad de contratar un hombre que entre en el cupo de seleccionable, categoría que tenía el de Joinville en el Baskonia campeón de la ACB.
Con las bajas confirmadas de los temporeros Golubovic y Palacio y tras no ejecutar la cláusula de renovación de Carl English, el primer fichaje del Baskonia será el del base-escolta David Logan, que abandonará el Prokom de Polonia, para recalar en Vitoria.
El club no ha hecho oficial su contratación aunque su agencia de representación ya anuncia en su pagina web el contrato plurianual firmado por el jugador con pasaporte polaco. EFE

http://www.laverdad.es/agencias/20100630/deportes/baloncesto/baskonia-planifica-futuro-condicionado-probable_201006301056.html

Querejeta apuesta por la paciencia para confeccionar la nueva plantilla
"no hay que pensar en nada concreto, sino ir viendo las oportunidades"

El presidente del Baskonia incide en que "no va a haber demasiados cambios"

d. ortega - Jueves, 1 de Julio de 2010 - Actualizado a las 08:04h.

Vitoria. El segundo round de la cena de empresas que patrocinan al Baskonia tuvo de nuevo al BAKH como escenario principal de una iniciativa que debuta este año y que tiene mucho que ver con la necesidad de estrechar lazos con las principales fuentes de ingreso del cuadro vitoriano, ahora que la crisis económica azota a cualquier entidad. Antes de sentarse en una mesa en la que, por cierto, Tiago Splitter no pudo estar presente como estaba previsto al tener que cumplir compromisos personales, Josean Querejeta quiso dejar claro que no tienen ninguna prisa en completar la plantilla del equipo vitoriano para la próxima temporada.

"Estamos mirando el mercado, y a medida que vayamos viendo jugadores que puedan ser interesantes y que puedan reforzar nuestro equipo iremos tomando decisiones. Pero creo que no hay que pensar en nada concreto, sino que hay que ver las oportunidades que ofrece el mercado e ir trabajando para que el equipo siga siendo competitivo", advirtió el presidente de Saski Baskonia antes de destacar que, a priori, en el nuevo Caja Laboral de la temporada 2010-2011 "no va a haber demasiados cambios". "Aparte de las bajas que pueda haber por decisiones de tipo personal, como el caso de Tiago, creo que no va a haber demasiados cambios. La estructura del equipo ha funcionado y la vamos a mantener, pero es muy pronto para saber cuál va a ser la plantilla final", reconoció un Querejeta que volvió a ser cuestionado sobre el futuro de Tiago Splitter. "Hay una fecha límite, que es el 15 de julio, y la decisión de marcharse está en su mano. El club no puede hacer más", recordó.

Por otra parte, el máximo dirigente de la entidad de Zurbano no aclaró si, como todo apunta, se verán obligados a reducir ligeramente el presupuesto para la próxima campaña por culpa de la crisis económica y los problemas de los pequeños patrocinadores. "Es algo que todavía está por ver. Todavía es muy pronto para definir y saber en qué situación vamos a estar la próxima temporada. Estamos trabajando en el nuevo presupuesto y aún hay muchas incógnitas como para saber si el año que viene vamos a tener un presupuesto u otro", aseveró finalmente Josean Querejeta.

gira nba Por otra parte, el Baskonia conoce ya las fechas concretas en las que disputará su gira por los Estados Unidos para enfrentarse a dos equipos de la NBA. El 14 de octubre jugará contra los Memphis Grizzlies, y el 16 ante los San Antonio Spurs.
http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/07/01/baskonia/querejeta-apuesta-por-la-paciencia-para-confeccionar-la-nueva-plantilla

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Need translation

More of the same. Baskonia preparing for life without Splitter, but no official word of a buyout.

King K
07-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Baskonia planning for the future determined by the likely departure of Splitter
EFEVitoria News, June 30 (EFE) .- The Education Fund is planning the new template for the 2010-11 season according to the puzzle of finding the replacement of the Brazilian power forward Tiago Splitter.
Around the club assumes the probable progress of the MVP of the regular season and the end of the ACB to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA. His farewell Vitoria be formalized later than July 15 deadline to inform the Brazilian club decision.
From this movement, triggering the recruitment of men for the inner game to cover his absence. Stanko Barac continuity will depend on the evolution and improvement of their physical ailments that prevent you from paying normally to their best level.
The puzzles cover Splitter output is further complicated by the need to hire a man who enters the quota of selectable category was that of Joinville in Baskonia ACB champion.
With the confirmed lower seasonal Golubovic and Palace and after not to enforce the renewal clause of Carl Español, the first records of Baskonia will be the base-guard David Logan, who is leaving the Prokom in Poland, to anchor in Vitoria.
The club has not even made official engagement since his management agency said on its website announcing the multi-year contract signed by the player with Polish passport. EFE

ElNono
07-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Baskonia planifica el futuro condicionado por la probable marcha de Splitter
Noticias EFEVitoria, 30 jun (EFE).- El Caja Laboral está planificando la nueva plantilla de la temporada 2010-11 en función del rompecabezas que supone encontrar el recambio del pívot brasileño Tiago Splitter.
En el entorno del club se da por hecho la más que probable marcha del Jugador Más Valioso de la fase regular y de la final de la ACB a los San Antonio Spurs de la NBA. Su adiós de Vitoria debe oficializarse como muy tarde el 15 de julio, fecha tope del brasileño para comunicar al club su decisión.
A partir de ese movimiento se desencadenarán las contrataciones de hombres para el juego interior que cubran su ausencia. La continuidad de Stanko Barac dependerá de cómo evolucione y mejore de sus molestias físicas que le impiden rendir con normalidad a su mejor nivel.
El rompecabezas de cubrir la salida de Splitter se complica además con la necesidad de contratar un hombre que entre en el cupo de seleccionable, categoría que tenía el de Joinville en el Baskonia campeón de la ACB.
Con las bajas confirmadas de los temporeros Golubovic y Palacio y tras no ejecutar la cláusula de renovación de Carl English, el primer fichaje del Baskonia será el del base-escolta David Logan, que abandonará el Prokom de Polonia, para recalar en Vitoria.
El club no ha hecho oficial su contratación aunque su agencia de representación ya anuncia en su pagina web el contrato plurianual firmado por el jugador con pasaporte polaco. EFE

http://www.laverdad.es/agencias/20100630/deportes/baloncesto/baskonia-planifica-futuro-condicionado-probable_201006301056.html

Baskonia plans for the future conditioned by Splitter's probable departure

EFE News - Vitoria, Jun 30 (EFE).- Caja Laboral is building the new roster for the 2010-11 season based on the puzzle that represents finding a replacement for the brazilian PF Tiago Splitter.
Inside the organization it's taken as a given the more than probable departure of the regular season and ACB finals MVP to the San Antonio Spurs on the NBA. His departure from Vitoria must be official by July 15 at the latest, which is the final day the brazilian has to communicate his decision to the team. After that happens, it will trigger the hiring of players with an inside presence that will replace him. The continuity of Stanko Barac will depend on how he evolves and improves from his physical problems that prevent him from playing at his best.
The puzzle of replacing Splitter's exit gets more complicated with the necessity to hire a player that's selectable, a category that the player of Joinville had with the Boskonia team that won the ACB.
With the shredding of the expiring Golubovic and Palacio and after not exercising the Carl English option, the first hiring for Bsokonia will be David Logan, who will abandon the Polish's Prokom to play in Vitoria.
The team has not made official his hiring although his agent already announced in his website the multi-year contract signed by the polish passport carrying player.

mystargtr34
07-01-2010, 07:53 AM

Actual deal is 3yrs/13M.

Interesting, i didnt see this until you posted it. Nice player, one major reason he dropped to the second round was because his agent specifically requested he not be picked in the first round, so that the rookie pay scale wouldnt effect him. Turned out to be a smart decision.

Also, his game is very similar to Al Jefferson, albeit a poor man's version. Its not hard to see why they want to trade him, and drafted Wes Johnson instead of Demarcus Cousins.

tmtcsc
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM

You could change that to "Please God, let Tim make his Free Throws".

Or

'Please God, let the Spurs rebound Tim's miss'

I was actually hoping that Tim's FT miss (almost all but guaranteed) would go in certain directions so we could at least get the ball back. What a nightmare for one of the all time greats. A mental midget at the FT line.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Interesting, i didnt see this until you posted it. Nice player, one major reason he dropped to the second round was because his agent specifically requested he not be picked in the first round, so that the rookie pay scale wouldnt effect him. Turned out to be a smart decision.

Also, his game is very similar to Al Jefferson, albeit a poor man's version. Its not hard to see why they want to trade him, and drafted Wes Johnson instead of Demarcus Cousins.

how much was left over on ALs contract?

lol rebuilding over pekoman and milicic? fail right there, oh yeh they got that faggot pg who they drafted ruby or whatever the douches name is...

mystargtr34
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
how much was left over on ALs contract?

lol rebuilding over pekoman and milicic? fail right there, oh yeh they got that faggot pg who they drafted ruby or whatever the douches name is...

According to hoopshype... $13M, $14M and $15M the next three years. Still not terrible for a player of his caliber IMO.

tuncaboylu
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
If Pekovic is coming NBA with 3 years/13M, we should offer all the MLE to Splitter in a hurry(and I doubt that it will eb enough anyway). Splitter's market value was much more than Pekovic in Europe last year.