PDA

View Full Version : Who is a legitimate threat to the Lakers next season?

djohn2oo8
06-18-2010, 07:16 PM
First let me say congrats to the Lakers, and the select Laker fans who are classy. I think the West is as weak as ever

Mavs - Could be a threat if they played Beaubois more, cut ties with Butler, and get a slashing two guard.

Blazers - Give themselves the Rocket's treatment, and pray for good health

Spurs - Old, need an infusion of youth. George Hill should progress, but everything else is a question mark after that

Nuggets - Get rid of Jr. "I gotz jelly for a brain" Smith, basically bring in some players who have a decent IQ

Suns - Amare bolts, who knows whats next

Thunder - On the rise, should have another good draft

Utah - get more length for rebounding

Hornets - ???

Wolves - No, not ever

Warriors - No

Grizzlies - No

Clippers - Yeah right

Rockets - If Yao was rebuilt and made into robocop, then yes, and I don't even want Bosh anymore, need a backup center who can eventually start. Maybe a Hassan Whiteside, skills are really raw, but maybe Hakeem can work some more with him.

Roddy Beaubois
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
The offseason will determine that.

TheMACHINE
06-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Okc

Pelicans78
06-18-2010, 07:20 PM
DJ, you badly overrate Whiteside. Rockets should stay away from him because he's not going to develop much at all. He is raw physically and skill-wise. Pass on him.

Pelicans78
06-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I would say OKC and Portland. Utah, Dallas, and the Spurs will be playoff teams. Denver is a question mark, but they have alot of talent. After that is teams with question marks. I think Phoenix will be good without Amare, but need more to beat the Lakers.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I would say OKC and Portland. Utah, Dallas, and the Spurs will be playoff teams. Denver is a question mark, but they have alot of talent. After that is teams with question marks. I think Phoenix will be good without Amare, but need more to beat the Lakers.

At this point I really don't care if Amare leaves, but you're retarded if you think Phoenix will be anything better than a lottery team with Amare gone.

Pelicans78
06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
At this point I really don't care if Amare leaves, but you're retarded if you think Phoenix will be anything better than a lottery team with Amare gone.

Why? They still have alot of weapons on offense. Their bench is deep. They will be fine.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Why? They still have alot of weapons on offense. Their bench is deep. They will be fine.

Weapons on offense? Who? Without Amare they have absolutely no way to score in the half court, do you see a team with Jason Richardson as its leading scorer making the playoffs?

tlongII
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
It's us obviously. OKC doesn't have enough size.

tlongII
06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
plus no other city in the league hates the Lakers as much as we do...

Roddy Beaubois
06-18-2010, 07:33 PM
It's us obviously.

The offseason has begun.

BUMP
06-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Barring any major moves i dont think anybody will challenge them in the West tbh.

I think it all revolves around the East. What state will the Celtics be in next year? Where will LeBron? etc.

If the C's make another run or LeBron teams up with another superstar, i think those are the only 2 threats stopping LA from a 3peat

Kevin Durant 35
06-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I think OKC can be a threat if they are healthy and if they get some size then they can compete.

Any team who can make smart trades and are playoff contenders can be a good threat against LA.

BadOdor
06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Mavs have a big trade chip in Dampier, will be interesting to see how they play it out.

OKC will be very scary if they get a good center.

Portland, if healthy(lol) are easily WCF material.

Don't see the Suns getting past 1st round without Amare.

Spurs are pretty much done.

Kevin Durant 35
06-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Mavs have a big trade chip in Dampier, will be interesting to see how they play it out.

OKC will be very scary if they get a good center.

Portland, if healthy(lol) are easily WCF material.

Don't see the Suns getting past 1st round without Amare.

Spurs are pretty much done.

I think Spurs still have a chance if they make smart moves in the offseason.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Tbh no team is currently a thread to LA since Boston has nowhere to go but down due to age. There isn't any team that can match their size, and they have the potential to get better if Bynum stays healthy, Artest works with Kobe over the off season so the two develop a better chemistry on offense, and if they add depth with the MLE, they'll be better than they already are.

Cane
06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Health will always be the Lakers biggest enemy followed by father time if he pays more visits to Bryant and Artest. :downspin: Kobe and Bynum will both be having surgery this summer and it'll be interesting to see if they can recover in time to handle the NBA season. The Lakers also should look into resting their core players more in the regular season. It'd also be interesting to see how LA would fare if they didn't have HCA in the playoffs which could be a possibility next season.

After that I'm going with a healthy Portland or Rockets team if that ever becomes a reality. They have the length and players to best compete against LA if it does.

OKC should only get better but they desperately need 7 footers that can counter LA's. As great as Durant is he also needs to work on his game since the playoffs were a rude awakening for where he's at against defenders like Artest. I expect their arena to be one of the loudest in the playoffs which might help.

Spurs need to stay healthy and this could be the first season for such since everyone's resting this summer and no one's having surgeries. Tiago's coming over but they still need 3 point shooting, tougher defense, and an answer for athletic forwards such as Odom and Amar'e. RJ will likely be shipped out in Feb so the Spurs need to prepare for a hole in the SF rotation as well. Blair and Hill seem expendable.

Nuggets. Melo always seemed like a guy that melts down in the playoffs at some important point. If they can get their motivation and maturity in check they can be a dangerous team.

Mavs seem to always be in the position to make huge trades and they realize their window's closing as well so should come firing on all cylinders.

If Boozer and Amar'e end up leaving thats going to change those teams substantially. Too many ???'s for me to consider what will happen although Gentry and Sloan are very capable coaches.

NOH needs CP3 to become the best PG in the league again to have a shot to get to the playoffs but seems destined to fail against LA's size.

Clippers have the potential to make some trades and get into the playoffs race if Griffin proves to be a great player.

BadOdor
06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I think Spurs still have a chance if they make smart moves in the offseason.

Don't let the Tiago splitter hype fool ya. He's a serviceable starter, but that's it.

Ginobilli is too old and inconsistent.

Parker's 09 year seems more and more like a fluke.

Duncan is also too old, and cannot anchor the defense anymore.

The spurs role players are garbage.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
:lol at anybody who thinks the Spurs are even WCF material anymore

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
They have Dick Jefferson though!

Kevin Durant 35
06-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Don't let the Tiago splitter hype fool ya. He's a serviceable starter, but that's it.

Ginobilli is too old and inconsistent.

Parker's 09 year seems more and more like a fluke.

Duncan is also too old, and cannot anchor the defense anymore.

The spurs role players are garbage.

What Im saying is if they trade those role players for some youngsters they still have a chance but i doubt it.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-18-2010, 07:52 PM
and George "Magic" Hill, Dejuan Blair Barkley, and Tiago Splitter Sabonis!

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Lakers won the title, but they weren't that impressive for a championship team IMO..they can certainly lose next year, but it will take some moves from the West..they weren't a dominant title team IMO, just a good title team..however, it has to be mentioned that the Lakers will probably go out and get a PG, and there's always the small chance that Bynum will be healthy when it matters, so they have a good chance of getting better too..

The Spurs can challenge them IMO, but it will take a lot of moves..Splitter is the first move to match up size-wise, but they will still need to acquire another big man + a young player or 2 would have to emerge..so it's unlikely, but possible..

The Mavs can definitely challenge them with the right moves, they have the assets for a big trade..unfortunately for the Mavs, something seems to always get in their way..

Portland and Houston can both definitely challenge them, they might even be the 2 best teams to challenge them in the West, but they're both extremely unlikely to remain healthy when it matters..if Yao and Oden are miraculously in the lineup in April though, they're going to be extremely tough to beat..

OKC can only compete if they get rid of Jeff Green and replace him with a legit big..no team with Jeff Green as a top 3 player is going to do anything significant IMO..

Denver isn't a title contender, they're too mentally weak, which won't change as long as they have their current core..Utah is never a legit contender either..

Phoenix is done if Amare doesn't re-sign, which appears to be the case..

The East is unpredictable right now..it's obviously all dependent on where Lebron, Wade and Bosh end up..

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 07:55 PM
and George "Magic" Hill, Dejuan Blair Barkley, and Tiago Splitter Sabonis!

Sons don't forget Ian "David Robinson" Mahinmi. If god damn Popovich gave him some PT the Spurs would be champions right now
:madrun:madrun:madrun:madrun:madrun:madrun:madrun: madrun:madrun

Kai
06-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Houston Rockets, Mother Fucker.

also,

The offseason will determine that.

SourCandy
06-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I honestly don't think LA will win another. Kobe is not as he once was and to many times they relied on him.

A good trade in okc and I say they are IN.

Nahtanoj
06-18-2010, 08:15 PM
The Spurs are always a legitimate threat. They just need to make a few small roster moves. The Thunders are a couple of seasons away from being contenders..

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Depends on if Phil comes back

Darrin
06-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I think the Lakers will have a lot of age and miles to overcome next year. Kobe looked like he lost 3 inches (at least) on his lift during the course of this season. Derek Fisher isn't getting any younger, and through the season, it was clear the Lakers need an upgrade at that position. They have the MLE to do something about it, but Andrew Bynum may need a back-up in case he goes down next year. He's not healthy. They have a lot of questions to answer internally before we talk about their third title. I had a feeling during this whole series we were seeing the last hurrah of this group. Kobe will need a guard like Derrick Rose at the point to keep this group together.

I think Dallas is no longer a threat. I think Phoenix is done. I think the Spurs are done. This is a strange time in the league because the best players are getting old and the young ones are too young. The last time the league saw this balance was back in the late-1990s. It makes for some bad basketball.

I think the Thunder, if the add a piece in the draft and in free agency, could be a legitimate threat next year. I think Portland, if they can stay healthy, could be a threat. But let's remember that it was Shaq moving to Los Angeles, Dikembe Mutombo to Atlanta in the 1996 offseason that changed the Western Conference for the next five years. We are about to see a lot of movement. Chris Bosh and Lebron James may move teams. Chicago and Miami look to be the big winners this offseason. And if one of those teams lands a big-name star, and keeps what they have, the Lakers may not stand a chance, even if they survive the Western Conference.

The league is in position right now that a free-agent splash this summer could mean a title next year. Like I said, too old and too talented to take off the court, too young and too talented on the other end. In other words--mental strength and experience versus talent is about to take effect again. Inconsistent play is back. The Spurs, Suns, Mavericks, Celtics, Lakers versus the Magic, Hawks, Bulls, Heat, Thunder, and Blazers.

They have a chance, but they shouldn't. They don't look like Champions with another year of wear-and-tear. They will have to find the fountain-of-youth and a new mindset.

mingus
06-18-2010, 08:34 PM
The spurs will be there once again. it'll be 03 all over again. what's interesting is that before 03 our last championship was in 99 - a 4 year perod. next year will provede the same opportunity. 4 years later after 07, same adversary, same result. Jus watch!

Ghazi
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
In the West? The Mavericks. Already had a roster well equipped to combat with LA this year and will get better next year with the development of the best french PG in the NBA, and hopefully a piece added from the DUST chip.

In the league? That depends on where D-Whistle and LeBron wind up and with who.

It'll be interesting to see what the Lakers do... they can still get better, they need more shooting and more dribble penetration. Their offense is still flawed, even if it was good enough to win a title.

MavDynasty
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
The spurs will be there once again. it'll be 03 all over again. what's interesting is that before 03 our last championship was in 99 - a 4 year perod. next year will provede the same opportunity. 4 years later after 07, same adversary, same result. Jus watch!

Except the teams and competition aren't totally different or anything...

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

mingus
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
It'd kick ass though. Maybe it'll happen not out of the question.

Indazone
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Rockets if we can get Amare Stoudamire to play alongside Yao. That would be way too cool. Twin Towers indeed. Also with Amare, he can start and Yao could take off a lot of games or play reduced minutes.

mingus
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Guys, I don't seriously believe that. Calm down. lmao. it'd be a cool mathematical pattern though.

hitmanyr2k
06-18-2010, 08:51 PM
As long as the Lakers have Gasol and Bynum manning the middle no one from the West is going to challenge them. They're simply too big of a team and the other West teams are playing with midgets in the paint. The Thunder have nobody in the middle. The Suns and Jazz don't either. The Spurs are done because Duncan is too old. I don't expect Yao to be himself after the injury. He's a question mark. Portland is really the only team with any length and athleticism to give the Lakers any trouble but good luck to that team staying healthy :lol

tlongII
06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
As long as the Lakers have Gasol and Bynum manning the middle no one from the West is going to challenge them. They're simply too big of a team and the other West teams are playing with midgets in the paint. The Thunder have nobody in the middle. The Suns and Jazz don't either. The Spurs are done because Duncan is too old. I don't expect Yao to be himself after the injury. He's a question mark. Portland is really the only team with any length and athleticism to give the Lakers any trouble but good luck to that team staying healthy :lol

:lol Are you kidding me??? Oden, Przybilla, Camby, Aldridge... We've got more size than the Lakers when healthy. We'll shove that LOB trophy up their ass!

Darrin
06-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Don't say that the Thunder have no one. It is about who dictates the action. If the Lakers are seeing Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, and James Harden flying all over the place for rebounds, coming from 20 feet out and grabbing it off the rim, they can be beat.

The Celtics were just too slow to the ball and it wasn't for lack of trying. It was because the Lakers' legs were longer and younger. Plus, they have a draft pick and an MLE in some deep free agent waters.

The Celtics couldn't beat LA at their game. That is why they looked so dominant. There's more than one way to rebound the basketball.

j.dizzle
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
:lol Are you kidding me??? Oden, Przybilla, Camby, Aldridge... We've got more size than the Lakers when healthy. We'll shove that LOB trophy up their ass!
:lol Exactly

duhoh
06-18-2010, 09:15 PM

healthy isn't a word in the blazers' dictionary. sorry.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Not possible.

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2010, 09:17 PM
healthy isn't a word in the blazers' dictionary. sorry.

it is in their thesaurus though, under antonyms

tlongII
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Just keep praying people. It's your only hope.

j.dizzle
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Just keep praying people. It's your only hope.
:lol LOL thats something a 12 year would say. Stop getting ur hopes up every season Tlong.

resistanze
06-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Another cakewalk to the Finals.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 09:35 PM
...with The Machine then taking from the Celtics everything.

silverblk mystix
06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
the ONLY threat to the lakers will be if there is a serious investigation of the refs---

and get rid of all the crooked ones---clean house---and make it a game of the real best team winning

then---the lakers will be done

otherwise

SOS---lakers will be gifted titles until they pass the celtics---oooh what a great storyline---lakers pass celtics---oooh

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
^^^Yep 16-17 is manageable.....15-18 not so much.

Kevin Durant 35
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
the only threat to the lakers will be if there is a serious investigation of the refs---

and get rid of all the crooked ones---clean house---and make it a game of the real best team winning

then---the lakers will be done

otherwise

sos---lakers will be gifted titles until they pass the celtics---oooh what a great storyline---lakers pass celtics---oooh

+1

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
+1

Artest made your boy a volume shooter, huh?

tougheth lucketh.

mavsfan1000
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
There are no threats except maybe Cleveland. Lakers will probably 3-peat.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 09:45 PM
There are no threats except maybe Cleveland. Lakers will probably 3-peat.

4 & 5 peat is a distinct probability.

j.dizzle
06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Cle is in shambles, Boston is getting old & losing a few players probably, Orl is mentally weak & have Vince Carter. The east isnt gonna be as good next year & I dont see many teams in the west improving. We'll see where the free agents go.

tlongII
06-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Dude, you wouldn't have two-peated if we were healthy. You people can keep thinking we'll be injured forever, but that ain't reality. Reality bites.

Jacob1983
06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
The end of the world, Kobe's death, and/or Stern's passing are the biggest threats to the Lakers.

spursfan1000
06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
We don't know yet we gotta see what happen in offseason

cobbler
06-18-2010, 10:07 PM
The end of the world, Kobe's death, and/or Stern's passing are the biggest threats to the Lakers.

Beat me to it. Lakers 4-peat and go up on the Celtics 18-17.... and 2012 the world crumbles and I die happy! :lol

Sorry Cully... the Mayans have us cutting out short of the 5-peat! However, the symmetry is off the charts.... all the planets alligning and the Lakers passing the Celts.

Capt Bringdown
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately I agree. All other contenders will have to build their teams fair and square. The Gasol trade changed everything, as the Lakers added all star talent without giving up anything near equal value in return.

This imbalance, combined with the lack of quality big men in the league, will tip scales in favor of the Lakers for at least one more year, possibly two.

tlongII
06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately I agree. All other contenders will have to build their teams fair and square. The Gasol trade changed everything, as the Lakers added all star talent without giving up anything near equal value in return.

This imbalance, combined with the lack of quality big men in the league, will tip scales in favor of the Lakers for at least one more year, possibly two.

WTF are you talking about? We're better than them as is. We just need to be healthy. I realize and understand people's opinions about our health, but it's going to change. We'll be healthy and we'll kick some Laker ass!

EIC
06-18-2010, 11:24 PM
As we consider what teams might challenge the Lakers in the near future, I would also like to point out one thing about the Lakers themselves:

Kobe is getting older and has a lot of miles on his tires. Judging from this past season, it's already debatable who is the #1 player on that team between him and Gasol. In these playoffs, Gasol's level of play on a particular night seemed to be a stronger predictor of the Lakers' chances of winning.

I predict that Kobe will begin to fade as the #1 option starting next season. This, of course, will only stir up the same bullshit that lead to their downfall in 2004 when Kobe and Shaq fought over who would be the #1, except this time it will be Kobe as the aging star with Gasol as the younger upstart ascending to the throne.

I believe this will disrupt team chemistry, drudge up Kobe's "me first" mentality, and lead to divisiveness within the team. And lest you think that Kobe has matured, is no longer a selfish player, and doesn't care about the "me versus him" bullshit, watch this clip at 0:54:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MSGgbqG5g

djohn2oo8
06-18-2010, 11:24 PM
WTF are you talking about? We're better than them as is. We just need to be healthy. I realize and understand people's opinions about our health, but it's going to change. We'll be healthy and we'll kick some Laker ass!

The Oden curse lives on

tlongII
06-18-2010, 11:28 PM
The Oden curse lives on

Just like the Walton curse. But guess what? We won a title with Walton. We'll win a title with Oden too.

The Franchise
06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
We're going to smother the Lakers next season.

djohn2oo8
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
We're going to smother the Lakers next season.

With what? Hope???

200 miles
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
:lol at everyone thinking that the Spurs are too old and all but dead in the water

cobbler
06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
:lol at everyone thinking that the Spurs are too old and all but dead in the water

I fully expect the Spurs to make a move or two and be competitive.

With that said, the only real threat to the Lakers will be the Lakers.

Killakobe81
06-19-2010, 12:10 AM
With what? Hope???

Hope springs eternal ...ESPECIALLY in Portland LOL

I think Denver, Boston San Antonio, Orlando, Dallas, OKC, cavs Blazers and Phoenix (as currently constructed) are ALL viable threats to the Lakers.

My guess is though only Boston, San Antonio and Lakers only legit threats to win 16 games in a post-season.

I could see a team beating the Lakers but STILL not win a title ...

I think the off-season (draft and summer league) is the highlight of Tlong's year ...

Blazers are the papertigers of the NBA!!!

200 miles
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I fully expect the Spurs to make a move or two and be competitive.

With that said, the only real threat to the Lakers will be the Lakers.

Just out of curiosity, which team would you want the Lakers to face and later annihilate in the WCF in 2011?

Killakobe81
06-19-2010, 12:18 AM
I want Dallas, OKC, Houston or SA for personal reasons ...I can attend the games ...

cobbler
06-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, which team would you want the Lakers to face and later annihilate in the WCF in 2011?

Toss up between Suns and Blazers!

Capt Bringdown
06-19-2010, 12:26 AM
It's going to take a team like the twin towers '03 Spurs to knock the Lakers out. The Spurs can only dream about getting back to that level, and the Blazers are not capable, even if/when/ever they can manage to stay healthy. Maybe after a couple of years of playing together they might present a decent challenge, but dream on, that's been the line about the Blazers for years. Face it, Oden was a disaster, you can't grow nothin' on poor soil.

Only injuries and team chemistry issues can beat the Lakers at this point, no one can match up with them.

BTW, grudging credit must be given to PJ regarding Artest. That's twice in his career he's taken headcases and turned them into champions.

djohn2oo8
06-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I want Dallas, OKC, Houston or SA for personal reasons ...I can attend the games ...

:toast

200 miles
06-19-2010, 12:39 AM
It's going to take a team like the twin towers '03 Spurs to knock the Lakers out. The Spurs can only dream about getting back to that level, and the Blazers are not capable, even if/when/ever they can manage to stay healthy. Maybe after a couple of years of playing together they might present a decent challenge, but dream on, that's been the line about the Blazers for years. Face it, Oden was a disaster, you can't grow nothin' on poor soil.

Only injuries and team chemistry issues can beat the Lakers at this point, no one can match up with them.

BTW, grudging credit must be given to PJ regarding Artest. That's twice in his career he's taken headcases and turned them into champions.

Why does it have to be the TWIN towers? Why can't it be the TRI-towers?

Instead of someone in the form of a great Robinson, how about two 7-footers that are good. Not HOF-great, but good. Splitter is one, just have to find the other one. Draft, perhaps? :hat

spurs10
06-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Just like the Walton curse. But guess what? We won a title with Walton. We'll win a title with Oden too.
Title?

TampaDude
06-19-2010, 01:34 AM

Yup...that's the main thing I noticed when watching the Lakers...their frontcourt is HUGE...Gasol, Bynum, and Odom all look like they're 9 feet tall out there compared to the other team. It's very, very difficult to beat a team that's so tall and long like the Lakers when all their bigs are healthy, unless you have the size to match. It's basically unfair, but such is life.

Jacob1983
06-19-2010, 03:26 AM
I forgot to mention karma. Karma could finally catch up to Kobe and he could rape some new white girl and finally have karma bite him in the ass. That would be a threat to the Lakers next season if it happens.

baseline bum
06-19-2010, 03:46 AM
I think Dallas would have a better shot than anyone else in the West, unless OKC can land Bosh or something. The Spurs have too many question marks and need to make some serious moves to have any kind of chance after getting swept despite being healthy. Sarver's probably going to be too cheap to keep Amare from bolting to play with D'Antoni in NY, so scratch Phoenix off. As for the east, I don't like Orlando's dependence on the three point line, I wonder if the Celtics can possibly make it another season after having to basically concede the second half of the 09-10 season, and Cleveland wasted too much of their money on low-level talent. If Chicago can land James and make a play for Ray Allen, then I could see them challenging the Lakers.

mingus
06-19-2010, 04:25 AM
i don't think OKC can challenge LA w/o another scorer. maybe Harden steps up his game, but they also need to upgrade their frontcourt. Kristic can't lead you in that area if you want to compete for a championship. it's also always harder to have a great second year when everyone is prepared. they won't be catching anyone off-guard.

The Western conference is sort of in a weird position because there are a bunch of team's from the previous era that are clearly on the downside like the Mavs, Spurs, Suns, but other teams that were expected to overtake/replace them haven't because of injuries, like the Rockets and Portland. theoretically, those two teams, when healthy, would really pose a threat to LA. problem is they can't stay healthy. this situation has made for a lack of challengers to LA, and probably will continue to.

The Nuggets and Jazz are in weird spots because of, for the Jazz, Carlos Boozer (if he leaves they're irrelevent), and for Denver because the health of Kenyon. both those teams seem to be heading in the wrong direction and toward oblivion.

so the West is, at this point, all to the Lakers. aside from OKC, everyone enters next year with some serious question marks. even OKC has their share as i mentioned before. LA has been the beneficiary of hitting their stride during a time of aging and/or injured competition. that's not a knock on them. it just is what it is. they're a very good team in their own right. the current landscape of the West makes it there's for the taking.

the FA situation is what will answer this question. where Lebron goes, who teams up with Wade, Bosh. the Celtics will be prob. lose Allen. i think he realizes that with a KG a year older, his chances would be better elsewhere for a ring. after all the summer signings it'll be possible to answer.

Kamnik
06-19-2010, 04:29 AM
If they get better... (trades & staying healthy) maybe Spurs, Blazers or even Houston if by some miracle Yao would be healthy a fully season plus the playoffs.

Suns could possiblly be right there if Amare stays and Lopez&Dragič would get much better; but as for all the teams they must be completely healthy come playoffs. But as it looks it is 90% sure Amare is out and that probably puts them into lottery land...

Armando
06-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Lets see what happens in the offseason especially in the East.

DazedAndConfused
06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
It all depends on what LA does in the offseason.

They absolutely have to upgrade the bench and find a replacement for Fisher. If they can acquire a Steve Blake or Luke Ridnour type of PG along with some ring-chasing vets on the cheap they should be in good shape for the 3-peat.

This is all assuming Bynum+Gasol+Kobe+Odom are healthy next year.

Roddy Beaubois
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Replace Fisher with Blake or Ridnour last season and you don't have #16. I get what you're saying though

djohn2oo8
06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Replace Fisher with Blake or Ridnour last season and you don't have #16. I get what you're saying though

Truth.....Fisher plays like dogshit in the regular season, but is clutch as fuck in the playoffs. Letting him go would be a big mistake

SpursDynasty
06-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Any team with healthy bigs. Houston in 2009 wins the series vs. the Lakers if Yao is in the entire series, and it's very obvious that Boston wins the championship this year if Perkins plays the entire Game 6 and Game 7. This Lakers team is no better than any top three West or East team, they just always catch the breaks at the right time.

Giuseppe
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
any team with healthy bigs. Houston in 2009 wins the series vs. The lakers if yao is in the entire series, and it's very obvious that boston wins the championship this year if perkins plays the entire game 6 and game 7. This lakers team is no better than any top three west or east team, they just always catch the breaks at the right time.

a gigantic raspberry goes right here

LakerLanny
06-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I would say Denver.

They are the one team in the West that doesn't seem to be intimidated by the Lakers and they present some matchups that hurt us.

The Lakers moves in the off-season will be very interesting, we have some dead weight on the bench that make too much money and it is clear the team wants to cut payroll.

Ashy Larry
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Lakers really shouldn't fear anyone in the West. Their toughest series came from a four seed in the Eastern Conference.

With that said, we'll have to wait until early September to really figure that out. A lot of people will be moving around.

Amaso
06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
It's going to be hard for any team in the league to match up with the Lakers talent, size, and chemistry on the offensive and defensive end. EVEN if a team is somehow able to match the lakers in those regards, the Lakers are going to have an edge mentally than those teams. Winning 2 championships in a row does alot for a team's confidence is shaky situations. All of a sudden, Ron Artest isn't going to be scared to shoot a big shot; Pau can play his game effectively without worrying if he messes up; the role players that remain can play loose in clutch situations.

If the Lakers had not won last year's title and we had the exact same finals matchup then I think it's safe to say the Celtics would've had that edge against them the entire series, and the Lakers would've faded when they were down 13 in the 3rd in Game 7. In Game 7, EVERYONE was nervous as hell and it showed in almost everyone's play... and that's even with everyone already having a title. The more titles you win, the more you start expecting to win even when things aren't going right.

cobbler
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
According to all the Laker/Kobe haters who are so obsessed here it will be:

Ron Artest imploding the team and chucking up a terrible shot to cost the team a game at the most crucial moment.

PJ being being an overrated coach who can't make in game corrections.

Pau being a pussy and folding against any pressure.

Bynum being injury prone and such a pussy that he won't play through the slightest amount pf pain.

Kobe being a glory hog and not trusting his teammates to make clutch shots.

Team chemistry because clearly no other Laker likes playing with Kobe.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait... My bad... That was this year.

:wow

Giuseppe
06-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Testify, Cobby, testify my Laker Brother!

BUMP
06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
There is no threat to the Lakers

/thread

/discussion

/2010-11 season

anyone who disagrees with me is such a disgrace to life that they should've never been born

BUMP
06-19-2010, 07:13 PM
My comment was just so well thought out and correct that anyone who even responds in this thread should get banned on the spot and if you view this you can't even come back to look at it because my opinion was just so epic
:king:king

bostonguy
06-19-2010, 07:57 PM
The Lakers and their offseason moves will be the biggest threats. If they can keep Phil, resign fish and get a starting pg who can defend and hit the 3 plus add some depth and stay in good health, no one will prevent them from a 3 peat.

OKC needs to add an elite bigman. Boozer doesn't count. I've never been to OK city so I don't know if it is a city that could attract big names or not.

Cavs are salary cap strapped and have no tradeable assets to land them any bigtime players. Even with Bron back, they are fucked for a couple of years.

Celts are done regardless of if they keep this team intact or not. The window was 2-3 years after the big 3 were together. It's been 3 years now.

Orlando isn't mentally tough enough and they rely too much on 3's. Howard needs to improve his touch and they need more slashers.

Nuggets? They lack a leader and other high iq players. Kmart is an expiring but they need a lot more than just frontcourt depth. George Karl's health is also a concern.

Spurs? Nah. Too many holes.

Mavs? Depends if they make some major moves. They can't land guys like Caron anymore. They need a Lebron type of player to sidekick with Dirk.

06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
sadly, only the blazers have enough talent to match the lakers. lakers have been the most talented team in the league for the last three years and it's not even close. the blazers need to be healthy and have all cylinders firing to mount a successful challenge but they can do it.

on the eastern conference side, i'm sure wade/lebron/bosh are taking note of the lakers huge lead in talent and will act accordingly to ensure they form a team to match them. a combination of wade and bosh or lebron and bosh would need to unite in order to challenge the lakers.

DJ Mbenga
06-19-2010, 11:03 PM
portland, but they lack a legit pf. okc has no inside game. dallas is way too old. the spurs are screwed with jefferson. the suns are done without amare. realistically nothing can challenge the lakers but injuries. a midseason trade could presesnt a challenger if a west team goes for it

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
portland, but they lack a legit pf. okc has no inside game. dallas is way too old. the spurs are screwed with jefferson. the suns are done without amare. realistically nothing can challenge the lakers but injuries. a midseason trade could presesnt a challenger if a west team goes for it

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pKgQ4a1YvL2krM:http://blackchristiannews.com/news/nba_g_aldridge_400.jpg

What?

sabar
06-19-2010, 11:21 PM
No one, which is impressive from a team with almost no bench.

tlongII
06-19-2010, 11:28 PM

We'll be rotating LaMarcus Aldridge and Marcus Camby at the PF position. Oden will be healthy and I expect Przybilla to be ready very early in the season. We have a freaking HUGE team. And we're not only big, but we're athletic as well. As long as we're healthy we'll be a nightmare for the Lakers to deal with.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Methinks that you almost have to do the opposite of what the Lakers are, and try and take advantage of their size instead of try and match it.

It takes more than just being 'big' to beat the Lakers. And I think their size is a little overrated anyway. They only have 3 legit big men, Bynum, Gasol, and Odom and they only start Gasol and Bynum. Its just that they fit in with the triangle offense perfectly.

DJ Mbenga
06-19-2010, 11:41 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pKgQ4a1YvL2krM:http://blackchristiannews.com/news/nba_g_aldridge_400.jpg

What?

by legit pf i dont mean he isnt good but i mean he isnt a duncan or back to basket player. he faces up and takes jumpers.

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
by legit pf i dont mean he isnt good but i mean he isnt a duncan or back to basket player. he faces up and takes jumpers.

I think Oden will do that post up, back to the basket thing next season.

BadOdor
06-19-2010, 11:56 PM

Oden will be out 2 months into the season.

That we know.

These are things we know.

bostonguy
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM

I am sure he will but when will he get injured again? The guy is injury prone and is coming off another season ending injury. He can't ever stay healthy. It has been like this for sometime. This Blazers team is so much like the Rockets. A team that had potential but couldnt stay healthy. The words healthy and Blazers is pretty much an oxymoron.

Chieflion
06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't feel like making assumptions about Oden or any other player's injury conditions or what not. But I hope he will be able to play the entire season next year. The league needs to have better big men in the league again.

tlongII
06-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Oden is no more injury prone than Bynum. In fact I would argue his chances of playing a full season are greater than Bynum's.

Venti Quattro
06-20-2010, 01:30 AM
plus no other city in the league hates the Lakers as much as we do...
Boston says hi

tlongII
06-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Boston says hi

Boston isn't even close.

Muser
06-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Ask me after free agency has finished.

Ashy Larry
06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Boston isn't even close.

I walked around Portland with a Laker shirt on and nothing happened.

I walked around Worchester with a Laker shirt on and almost got into three fights.

These are probably the two cities in the league where Laker Nation is really not present when the teams are good.

tlongII
06-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I walked around Portland with a Laker shirt on and nothing happened.

I walked around Worchester with a Laker shirt on and almost got into three fights.

These are probably the two cities in the league where Laker Nation is really not present when the teams are good.

Depends on the time of year and where you were at. I lived in Boston for a year and I can guarantee there is not as much hate for the Lakers there as there is here. However, we're probably nicer people than Bostonians in general too.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
People from Portland are pretty nice tbh.....the first job I ever had, I worked with this dude from Portland who I can tell was involved in some bad shit at some point in time but he was a really nice guy who seemed to be trying to clean his life up......it turns out he was using an alias to work in Phoenix and was wanted on 3 counts of 1st degree murder in Portland:lol, but he was still a nice guy.

Ashy Larry
06-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Depends on the time of year and where you were at. I lived in Boston for a year and I can guarantee there is not as much hate for the Lakers there as there is here. However, we're probably nicer people than Bostonians in general too.

actually the people in Portland were nicer. Yes, there's a rivalry but it's respectable. In Worchester and Boston, not all but many of those fucks really take this shit serious.

And I was all over Portland, downtown, University Park, Beaverton and man the air is so damn fresh.