PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers retire Derek Fisher's number?

duncan228
06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Should the Lakers retire Derek Fisher's number? (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/)
By John Krolik

Few players have won as many championships with one organization as Derek Fisher has with the Los Angeles Lakers. And Fisher wasn't just a bystander while the Lakers won those five championships -- his statistics were never great, but he made big shots when the Lakers needed him to.

He's also beloved around the league and in Los Angeles, generally regarded as one of the league's smartest players and a true class act off the court. He's provided every intangible generally associated with players who get their numbers retired -- loyalty to the franchise, leadership, and an important figure both in the NBA community and the Los Angeles community.

The post-millenial Lakers are a modern dynasty, and Fisher has always been a part of that dynasty. Here's the dilemma: with all the success the Lakers have had over the years and how many great players have worn the purple and gold over the years, did Derek Fisher do enough to put his jersey alongside those of the greatest Lakers ever?

M. Haubs of the Painted Area has some thoughts on this dilemma (http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2010/06/lakers-win-16-fisher-to-rafters-pau-to.html):

Let's just focus on the L.A. Lakers players with retired numbers. There are seven, and all are Hall of Famers as well:

• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
• Elgin Baylor
• Wilt Chamberlain
• Gail Goodrich
• Magic Johnson
• Jerry West
• James Worthy

Let's also assume that Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal will eventually see their jerseys raised to the rafters. That's two more Hall of Famers, a standard that Fisher certainly falls far short of...

It's certainly remarkable, sitting here on championship night, to think that Derek Fisher's number 2 might not be retired. I'd argue that 28 other teams would do so in a heartbeat...

Yet it's also hard to believe that, if Derek Fisher is worthy of being immortalized by Laker Nation, that at least Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and Jamaal Wilkes, and possibly A.C. Green, aren't equally deserving of the honor. I guess that's why it's probably good to wait a few years for a different historical perspective, and to get away from the emotion of the championship moment.

Anyone who has watched the Lakers win these past five titles will always remember the contributions made by Derek Fisher. What's left to decide now is whether his jersey should be hung up and his exploits be made required knowledge for the next generation of Laker fans. Derek Fisher has earned as much respect as any NBA player to ever wear sneakers. Only time will tell if he deserves glory as well.

baseline bum
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
No, but Gasol probably should get his number up there.

PGDynasty24
06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I love D-Fish but no.....Were not the spurs. We don't retire Avery Johnson. lol

BadOdor
06-18-2010, 11:20 PM
lol spurs

DJ Mbenga
06-19-2010, 12:03 AM
are you drunk? no

cobbler
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Only championship and HOF banners reside in Staples.

Killakobe81
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I love Dfish but if he goes uo Copp, Scott and Horry deserve one too

Maybe a banner (no jersey) for the role players would work ...

kromediablo
06-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Fisher gets bailed out by the refs everytime he tries to get around screens cause he too damn slow to cover anybody!!

Bob Lanier
06-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Good god, no.

mingus
06-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Derek Fisher is a great shot-maker that has made a living from the guys that do belong in the rafters.

Smooth Criminal
06-19-2010, 03:15 AM
file:///C:/Users/justin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngDoubtful, bu he's still my favorite player and person in the league. Ill forget it next Regular Season, and remember when the POs start

Bob Lanier
06-19-2010, 04:17 AM
file:///C:/Users/justin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png
Nice job, genius.

MiamiHeat
06-19-2010, 04:44 AM
They should retire it

namlook
06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
This is not even a debate. NO. The Lakers only retire the numbers of Hall of Famers.

JamStone
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
No. Another franchise might, but not the Lakers.

They can name something in Staples after him, like the "Fisher clutch corridor" or "Fisher's big balls bathroom" or "Fisher's jazz entertainment suite." Give him a token. But as pretty much everyone said, the Lakers only retire the jerseys of HOF players.

AZLouis
06-19-2010, 02:46 PM
They should retire the phone number to the FO for Memphis.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
He doesn't deserve his jersey being retired, but that doesn't change how he has done a lot for LA and I still think was a big reason why Kobe didn't follow through on his trade demands.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
They can name something in Staples after him, like the "Fisher clutch corridor" or "Fisher's big balls bathroom" or "Fisher's jazz entertainment suite." Give him a token. But as pretty much everyone said, the Lakers only retire the jerseys of HOF players.

I was actually thinking the same thing. They could do something like create the "Derek Fisher teamwork award" for a role player on LA every year who keeps his mouth shut and does his job, some stupid shit to show appreciation for what he's done.

4>0rings
06-19-2010, 02:56 PM
They should retire the phone number to the FO for Memphis.
I laughed.

Giuseppe
06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
I laughed.

After crying for near 48 hours straight you needed a change.

tee, hee.

TheMACHINE
06-19-2010, 03:12 PM
boston celtics would have retired Dfish if they had him..but then again they retire everyone.