PDA

View Full Version : Adding fuel to the hater fire!

cobbler
06-18-2010, 09:56 PM
“Kobe Bryant is the greatest Lakers player.” – Jerry West

NBA CRM June 18th. 2010, 4:15pmKobe Bean Bryant has now five NBA championships. That’s a lot. In fact, he’s won so many championships that we have a whole new opportunity to discuss his legacy, greatness and place on the list of the greatest players of all time. Its times like this where the nation’s media turns to other historically great players. Enter Jerry West who was more than ready to heap praise on Kobe.

West went on 97.5 The Fanatic (ESPN Radio) in Philadelphia today and said that Kobe Bryant is the greatest Laker ever. Better than him. Better than Kareem. And even better than (Brace yourself Whitlock) Magic. “As great as Magic Johnson was, Kobe is I think a step ahead of him.”

Obviously, the title of Greatest Laker of All-Time is quite the honor. West didn’t stop there though. He also went on the Dan Patrick show where he had even higher praise for Kobe.

“He will go down as one of the two or three greatest players of all time, I think.”

One of the best players of all-time. That’s straight from Jerry West’s mouth. So what do you guys think? Do you want to discuss Kobe’s place in history for the 8th time today? Or do you want to see me hit some dingers?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/06/18/kobe-bryant-is-the-greatest-lakers-player-jerry-west/

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/60568/6pm-et-jerry-west-says-kobe-is-greatest-laker-everdisputed-goal-hurts-u-s-teamrob-blake-retires-from-sharks

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
No. It is still Magic and always will be.

He saved us.

I tell this story many times, but, tonight is a good night for a refresher.

It's part of an ESPN treatment of the 1985 Finals, and concerns itself with an old Los Angeles Laker, an old worn out black man, his name of no import who was watching that Game 6, on June, 9, 1985 at the apartment he and his daughter shared in Los Angeles. When the outcome had been decided late in the fourth quarter, when Magic had transcended us all this man rose from the couch, and went to his bedroom. Several minutes passed, his daughter wondering what had become of him when he suddenly reappeared in the doorway to the living room, once & again resplendent in his Laker gold.

She grabbed her camera, snapped a shot and the picture accompanied the retelling of this story as she cried.

Magic Johnson made that moment possible.

Magic Johnson

cobbler
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
After Kobe won his fifth title Thursday, Magic said on ESPN that Kobe deserves a statue next to his outside Staples Center. Later that night, Magic told me Kobe is now his equal, although not yet his superior.

"The great thing about the Lakers is that we judge by championships,'' said Magic, who -- along with Kareem, Kobe and crucial role player Derek Fisher -- has won a handful of rings with the Lakers. "So when Kobe gets that next one, then he'll be The Man; he'll be the greatest Laker. And I'll have no problem giving him that.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=broussard_chris&page=kobe-100618

So do you agree with Magic Cully? Equal now and surpasses him if he wins another? Gotta love the Magic man, still dishing the assists!

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I still can't believe he was so straight forward about having more rings than Shaq. I have nothing against him doing that, I actually give him props for it, I just found it funny how direct he was about it.

cobbler
06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I still can't believe he was so straight forward about having more rings than Shaq. I have nothing against him doing that, I actually give him props for it, I just found it funny how direct he was about it.

Was a classic moment. Love him or hate him... he never said shit until he got it done. I respect that.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:20 PM

I too was absolutely flabbergasted. Stunned.

InRareForm
06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
LOL at kobe's reaction to himself after he said the Shaq Line; it was like he had the "oh shit i just said that, but I needed to say it" face :lmao:rollin

cobbler
06-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Speaking of the player hating...

With RonRons game and hillarious post game interviews, has he turned the corner and put his "brawl" image behind him?

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 10:27 PM

With RonRons game and hillarious post game interviews, has he turned the corner and put his "brawl" image behind him?

Ron Artest has always been one of the NBA's most misunderstood players because of that incident. His heart was always in the right place, he just needed to right situation to show it. I agree though his post game interview was hilarious :lol

InRareForm
06-18-2010, 10:28 PM

A nut is a nut.

cobbler
06-18-2010, 10:30 PM
A nut is a nut.

Ohhh I know... he's definetly a nut. I just think the world got to see the playful nut and loyal teammate aspect as opposed to the potentially "dangerous psycho" one.

Goran Dragic
06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Ron Artest has always been one of the NBA's most misunderstood players because of that incident. His heart was always in the right place, he just needed to right situation to show it. I agree though his post game interview was hilarious :lol

And the best thing about it was, you could tell he really was on cloud 9 because he won a championship.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
So do you agree with Magic Cully? Equal now and surpasses him if he wins another? Gotta love the Magic man, still dishing the assists!

No. Magic Johnson brought us into the light from a darkness of unimaginable depth. No other Laker did that. No other Laker even attempted it until Magic Johnson. Once that spell was broken, once that monkey was forever slain all the other Lakers that followed Magic were bred different because of the catastrophic failures and ultimate triumph of Magic Johnson over the Boston Celtics.

Kobe Bryant included. He has no idea what Magic had to go thru. None whatsoever. Magic can't tell him. Only Magic knows. And that's ok. Magic did it, did it for himself and for us, his children, Kobe included, so that Kobe, so that all the "Kobes" would never have to look back again and into that abyss.

I look though. I look too much. And I know. And I will never forget.

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:41 PM
And it harkens another story that I've told afore but bears repeating on this our championship celebration: and it has to do with that Game 6, 25 years ago. They were showing it last year on a retrospective and they interviewed Magic about it. He talked about it, nothing new, nothing fresh and then said that his wife "Cookie" to this day could not bear to watch it because of what had been at stake and the cost that it had inflicted........."I tell her: but, honey, we're gonna win, it's ok, it's on tape. It's already over."

TampaDude
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM

He saved us.

It's part of an ESPN treatment of the 1985 Finals, and concerns itself with an old Los Angeles Laker, an old worn out black man, his name of no import who was watching that Game 6, on June, 9, 1985 at the apartment he and his daughter shared in Los Angeles. When the outcome had been decided late in the fourth quarter, when Magic had transcended us all this man rose from the couch, and went to his bedroom. Several minutes passed, his daughter wondering what had become of him when he suddenly reappeared in the doorway to the living room, once & again resplendent in his Laker gold.

She grabbed her camera, snapped a shot and the picture accompanied the retelling of this story as she cried.

Magic Johnson

Preach it, brutha!!! :toast

Giuseppe
06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Kobe is settling now. The long boyhood coming to a rapid end. His body structure, it's chemistry, it's balance starting to betray it's owner. With this inevitable maturity, this decay has come a grudging acceptance, but, acceptance nonetheless of [right] & [wrong] in all his secrets, the natural humbling of a man.

Kobe Bryant

Killakobe81
06-18-2010, 11:39 PM

He saved us.

Magic Johnson

Magic made me fall in love with ball ...

It is HARD for anyone even MJ to outshine Magic.

My first game watching ball was Game 6 of the 1980 Finals ....

SO hard to be objective when Magic is concerned ...In my head I know MJ was better and Kobe MIGHT be ...

BUT I cant put Magic behind those guys ...in my heart

mystargtr34
06-19-2010, 02:20 AM
I think there has been too many disastrous performances in big game situations, such as Finals, for him to be considered THAT high. But i agree he is better than Jerry West, but not Magic and Kareem.

Ignignokt
06-19-2010, 02:42 AM
The difference is that Majic's was consensual yet managed to get aids.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2010, 02:46 AM
jerry west? is the tendor in jack and the beanstalk, traded his cow for beans

TheManFromAcme
06-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Magic made me fall in love with ball ...

It is HARD for anyone even MJ to outshine Magic.

My first game watching ball was Game 6 of the 1980 Finals ....

SO hard to be objective when Magic is concerned ...In my head I know MJ was better and Kobe MIGHT be ...

BUT I cant put Magic behind those guys ...in my heart

:tu

Nicely put Killa, kind of put a lump in my throat with that.
Came of age in the 80's as a young un with Buck.
My youth is invested in Buck.
There was this boy to Man crush (sports speaking) I had with Earv.

Your last comment cements what I feel just as well but I would end with a............."and I don't think I ever will"

Like Cully points out, Magic excorcised all the previous demons for L.A.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM

He saved us.

Magic Johnson

I always get a lump in my throat reading this story.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Kobe is settling now. The long boyhood coming to a rapid end. His body structure, it's chemistry, it's balance starting to betray it's owner. With this inevitable maturity, this decay has come a grudging acceptance, but, acceptance nonetheless of [right] & [wrong] in all his secrets, the natural humbling of a man.

Kobe Bryant

Giuseppe

TampaDude
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I still think "Showtime" was the greatest Laker era ever. Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and the boys. Nothing else compares, IMHO.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I still think "Showtime" was the greatest Laker era ever. Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and the boys. Nothing else compares, IMHO.

Yep, the seamless transition from Kareem to Magic made those 5 rings a reality. We need another "Magic" so our Kareem/Kobe can transition to him in like manner. Nobody woulda ever fathomed Kareem giving it up that easily. Kobe might surprise as well.

DMC
04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Kobe is a great player. Magic is/was a great character. Kobe isn't someone you really want to watch other than on the court, and he's not real fan friendly. Magic was the Harlem Globetrotters come to the NBA. He was fantastic.

Halberto
04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Kobe thread at the top of the forum.... thought your dumb ass should know.

http://www.animecorporation.com/naruto_360/naruto360.jpg

Koolaid_Man
04-06-2011, 06:54 PM
No. Magic Johnson brought us into the light from a darkness of unimaginable depth. No other Laker did that. No other Laker even attempted it until Magic Johnson. Once that spell was broken, once that monkey was forever slain all the other Lakers that followed Magic were bred different because of the catastrophic failures and ultimate triumph of Magic Johnson over the Boston Celtics.

Kobe Bryant included. He has no idea what Magic had to go thru. None whatsoever. Magic can't tell him. Only Magic knows. And that's ok. Magic did it, did it for himself and for us, his children, Kobe included, so that Kobe, so that all the "Kobes" would never have to look back again and into that abyss.

I look though. I look too much. And I know. And I will never forget.

I'm not gonna hate too much on Magic...but that SOB does forget where he came from in his quest to crown Lebron...Now Lebron made him and everyone else eat crow by showing he wasn't on the same level as Kobe after all...He ran into D-Wade's arms...and all Magic could do was apologize...ESPN done brain washed that nigga...he need to get his head right again...Sometimes I think he doesn't want to see Kobe surpass him...it's human nature I understand but records were meant to fall no hard feelings...He's always in a rush to show impartiality only to come around and apologize...I don't see Celtic legends doing that with their squad...

and then Ron Ron I think called him out the best...Remember when Artest went Rambo in the stands in Detriot...Magic said that the NBA shouldn't give him a second chance and Ron Ron put Magic in his place...He said and I quote: "I bet Magic didn't feel that way when his wife gave him a second chance." I think that partially awoken Magic's spirit of common sense to stop being so fucking self righteous and pandering to what white America desired...

That's it...but right now they're equals if Kobe wins this year then no question he's the greatest Laker ever...and then he'll be equals with MJ and we get to talk about it all over again....:lmao