PDA

View Full Version : Taurasi drops 39, but Mercury fall short to the Silver Stars

BRHornet45
06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Mercury Fall to Silver Stars

By Brad G. Faye, PhoenixMercury.com
Posted: June 18, 2010

After putting together back-to-back victories for the first time this season, the Mercury came up short in their attempt to win a third-straight contest on Friday night after falling to the Silver Stars, 108-105.

Following the defeat, Mercury Head Coach Corey Gaines pointed towards tempo as a key factor to why the team fell short against their Western Conference rival.

“All those free throws in the second half just really slowed the game down,” Gaines said. “It slows the game down to a crawl and it’s almost like calling 20 timeouts. The game just had way too many stoppages and when it wasn’t for free throws it was because of a clock stoppage. Those sort of things hurt us.”

Also lost in the contest was Mercury forward Penny Taylor who left late in the third quarter with an ankle sprain and did not return. Gaines said after the game that he did not have an update on her status. Despite missing the entire fourth quarter, the All-Star still managed to score 22 points behind 9-for-13 shooting.

DUPREE SETS NEW WNBA RECORD

Albeit in a losing effort, Candice Dupree set a new WNBA record in Friday’s contest when she netted her 17th-consecutive field goal. The impressive streak began on June 10th against the Lynx, continued through a 9-for-9 performance against the Shock and concluded on Friday against the Silver Stars after being snapped in the first half of play.

The offseason acquisition said that thanks to a local reporter, she was aware entering the contest that she needed to make three-straight field goals more to set the record.

“I don’t keep up with stuff like that, but it was brought to my attention before the game,” Dupree said. “I was lucky to get some easy buckets early in the ballgame and would obviously rather have (set the record) in a win, but I’m happy I had the opportunity to do it.”

While Dupree’s streak would ultimately be snapped in the Friday night affair, the forward still managed to contribute a solid line of 19 points and 11 assists.

GENTRY TALKS MERCURY

A couple of weeks following his team’s amazing run to the Western Conference Finals, Suns Head Coach Alvin Gentry was in attendance for Friday night’s Mercury game. A semi-regular at contests over the summer, the coach told PhoenixMercury.com that he isn’t the only fan in the Gentry household.

“I love these games and so does my son, Jack,” Gentry said. “It’s his birthday tomorrow and he wanted to head down to watch the game which I definitely didn’t have a problem with. They're enjoyable to watch and a good basketball team.”

As far as which Mercury player Gentry thinks would best adapt to playing with his NBA team, a couple of candidates came to mind.

“They have a lot of talent but I think you have to go with Diana (Taurasi),” Gentry said. “I just think she’s great and I would also have to mention Candice Dupree. Both of those players are talented enough to make an impact.”

BlackSwordsMan
06-19-2010, 10:22 AM
becky hammon is the lebron of the wnba

4>0rings
06-19-2010, 02:54 PM
who?

fevertrees
06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
who?

Two of the best basketball players in professional sports.... (DT3 and mah Becky Hammon)

LakerHater
06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
who...

...cares.

Sigz
06-19-2010, 06:33 PM
<3 mah becky hammon 4verz

DJ Mbenga
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
doesnt turasi shoot 40%?

fevertrees
06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
doesnt turasi shoot 40%?

shooting 40% in the WNBA = shooting 55% in the NBA. WNBA players are smacked around pretty much everytime they take a shot, while NBA stars get whistle treatment during a slight touch

BRHornet45
06-19-2010, 09:34 PM
shooting 40% in the WNBA = shooting 55% in the NBA. WNBA players are smacked around pretty much everytime they take a shot, while NBA stars get whistle treatment during a slight touch