PDA

View Full Version : Rumor out of NY: Big Blockbuster Draft Night Deal

Duncan2177
06-19-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/93721-rumor-out-ny-big-blockbuster-draft-night-deal.html

DesignatedT
06-19-2010, 01:05 PM
spursreport is a joke.

mingus
06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hill is not a starting pg. it only worked out well because Manu was beasting for that stretch that TP was out (and after). the Spurs need Parker's scoring for the length of a season, otherwise Manu will be overworked and more susceptible to injury.

Cane
06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know whether or not Dulce, the spursreport.com admin, and his connections are reliable or not?

Not sure who the Spurs could come out with in such a three way deal. Perhaps whoever's acquired will be gone in a subsequent trade.

Trade rumors with NY isn't exactly new but throwing in Toronto spices it up especially with both Bosh and Hedo moving.

duhoh
06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
lol spursreport.

8FOR!3
06-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Knicks don't have enough to offer to get TP and CB4 in a sign and trade. Their best bet is to entice Bosh or Stoudamire and then try and get LeBron to come, but it looks like his chances at going to NY at this point are slim.

Kori Ellis
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Spurs are going to trade Tony for Hedo? :lol

Blackjack
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm sure SR 'preciates the tripled traffic.

Leetonidas
06-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Spurs Report? :lmao :lmao :lmao

MateoNeygro
06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Rediculous.

tdunk21
06-19-2010, 01:39 PM
spursreport is a joke.

very true:lmao

Jason R
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Spurs are going to trade Tony for Hedo? :lol

Would you like to point out where that was stated?

Kori Ellis
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM

The fake trade rumor doesn't say that, but I don't think they are insinuating that the Spurs would get Bosh.

MaNu4Tres
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM

SR' reg butthurt about the reality of the rumor?

ChuckD
06-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know whether or not Dulce, the spursreport.com admin, and his connections are reliable or not?

Not sure who the Spurs could come out with in such a three way deal. Perhaps whoever's acquired will be gone in a subsequent trade.

Trade rumors with NY isn't exactly new but throwing in Toronto spices it up especially with both Bosh and Hedo moving.

spursreport is a joke.

lol spursreport.

Spurs Report? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Big P
06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
rofl @ spursreport:lmao

benefactor
06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm sure SR 'preciates the tripled traffic.
I'm not sure why one would bother clicking on the link.

Blackjack
06-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure why one would bother clicking on the link.

Because there are people that thank their psychiatrist on national tv. :)

benefactor
06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Because there are people that thank their psychiatrist on national tv. :)
lol...well played.

Mel_13
06-19-2010, 02:39 PM
There are many reasons to place this item in the BS file, but none more persuasive than the simple fact that Bosh can't be traded on draft night unless he exercises the option to play out the final year of his contract.

ducks
06-19-2010, 02:44 PM
sr never predicated a spurs trade yet that actually happened

ChuckD
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
There are many reasons to place this item in the BS file, but none more persuasive than the simple fact that Bosh can't be traded on draft night unless he exercises the option to play out the final year of his contract.

:lol Win.

Muser
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
It amazes me how many people want to trade Tony.

ploto
06-19-2010, 03:00 PM
...Bosh can't be traded on draft night unless he exercises the option to play out the final year of his contract.

Bosh can not even talk to teams until after July 1, as well.

Dunc n Dave
06-19-2010, 10:38 PM
They can still trade Bosh if he chooses NOT to opt out. Who knows, maybe he has a *wink wink* promise from New York to re-sign him to the max NEXT summer if he doesn't opt out now.

It makes sense if you are NY. You get Bosh via trade, and still have enough to sign Lebron and possibly another max FA. Wade or Dirk maybe??? Can you imagine the Knicks with Bosh, Lebron, and Dirk/Wade all together?

If the Spurs participate in this trade it will be for Jefferson, rather than TP. One guy on SR guessed we get Al Harrington for RJ. Would have to be a sign & trade after July 1st if that were the case though. And would probably have to include Gallinari or Wilson Chandler to make the #'s match.

spursfaninla
06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
They can still trade Bosh if he chooses NOT to opt out. Who knows, maybe he has a *wink wink* promise from New York to re-sign him to the max NEXT summer if he doesn't opt out now.

It makes sense if you are NY. You get Bosh via trade, and still have enough to sign Lebron and possibly another max FA. Wade or Dirk maybe??? Can you imagine the Knicks with Bosh, Lebron, and Dirk/Wade all together?

If the Spurs participate in this trade it will be for Jefferson, rather than TP. One guy on SR guessed we get Al Harrington for RJ. Would have to be a sign & trade after July 1st if that were the case though. And would probably have to include Gallinari or Wilson Chandler to make the #'s match.

Don't see why NY would want to do that, or why they need the Spurs in that case either.

makes no sense.

Dunc n Dave
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Actually, looking at the Knicks salaries... their best bet is to get someone to take Eddy Curry and his $11 million player option off their hands. Maybe they are willing to part with Chandler or Gallinari if Curry is included in the deal. That way they still have max $$$ to lure Lebron and Wade/Dirk to play alongside Bosh.

Surely the Spurs wouldn't take Curry and Gallinari for RJ?

Toronto gets RJ $14.2
Knicks get Bosh $15.7 mill
Spurs get Curry, Gallinari $13.5 mill

The #'s work...

This deal is possible before July 1st since all are currently under contract. You throw in any of the Knicks FA's and the deal has to wait until July 1st to be done.

taps
06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
It amazes me how many people want to trade Tony.

Favors + Harris = CHAMPIONSHIP

I thought you knew.

Mel_13
06-19-2010, 11:07 PM

Scenarios based on this premise are dead on arrival. Not merely because such arrangements are specifically prohibited and can result in serious penalties for the offenders (see Joe Smith, Minnesota fiasco).

There is simply zero chance that Bosh does this. He is in line for a 6yr/127M contract this summer. That is the maximum amount he can get under the 2005 CBA. If he did as you suggest, his next contract would come under the terms of the 2011 CBA. Maximum salary and maximum length of contract are both likely to reduced under the new CBA. There's no way he takes that risk as well as the risk that he suffers an injury that significantly reduces his market value.

So, zero chance that Bosh plays out the final year of his current contract. He will opt out and sign a max deal under the current rules.

Dunc n Dave
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Scenarios based on this premise are dead on arrival. Not merely because such arrangements are specifically prohibited and can result in serious penalties for the offenders (see Joe Smith, Minnesota fiasco).

There is simply zero chance that Bosh does this. He is in line for a 6yr/127M contract this summer. That is the maximum amount he can get under the 2005 CBA. If he did as you suggest, his next contract would come under the terms of the 2011 CBA. Maximum salary and maximum length of contract are both likely to reduced under the new CBA. There's no way he takes that risk as well as the risk that he suffers an injury that significantly reduces his market value.

So, zero chance that Bosh plays out the final year of his current contract. He will opt out and sign a max deal under the current rules.

Zero chance, huh? Did Bosh tell you that? Say hi for me next time you talk to him...

If doing so allows him to play with not only Lebron but also DWade or Dirk for the next 5+ years, I'd say there's a "small chance" he'd consider it.... but then again, I didn't talk to him, so what do I know:rolleyes

Zocalo
06-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Well that was interesting...

I tell them that they are being attention whores for just speculating...

One of the mods replies to me... and a then a few hours later...

Zocalo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Typical...

Mel_13
06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Zero chance, huh? Did Bosh tell you that? Say hi for me next time you talk to him...

If doing so allows him to play with not only Lebron but also DWade or Dirk for the next 5+ years, I'd say there's a "small chance" he'd consider it.... but then again, I didn't talk to him, so what do I know:rolleyes

:rolleyes

No professional athlete is giving up over 100M in guaranteed money to increase his chance at winning.

Darthkiller
06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Actually, looking at the Knicks salaries... their best bet is to get someone to take Eddy Curry and his $11 million player option off their hands. Maybe they are willing to part with Chandler or Gallinari if Curry is included in the deal. That way they still have max $$$ to lure Lebron and Wade/Dirk to play alongside Bosh.

Surely the Spurs wouldn't take Curry and Gallinari for RJ?

Toronto gets RJ $14.2
Knicks get Bosh $15.7 mill
Spurs get Curry, Gallinari $13.5 mill

The #'s work...

This deal is possible before July 1st since all are currently under contract. You throw in any of the Knicks FA's and the deal has to wait until July 1st to be done.

knicks arent trading gallinari, how many times do i have to say this, gallinari is untouchble. espcially not for bosh when knicks can just sign straight up.

TimDunkem
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Why the hell wouldn't Bosh opt-out if he's basically guaranteed a fat payday this summer?

ChuckD
06-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Bosh doesn't have to tell him that. Common sense does.

Do you have ANY idea what is going to happen to the players in 2011? Their wages are going to drop sharply. Stern is a pimp, and always slaps down the players, who are never ready for a work stoppage. The early word is that a top contract will be $8M a year after the new CBA is enacted. Contracts will also be shorter.

6 yrs/$127M now
5 yrs/$40M next summer

Does Chris Bosh really need to say anything about this?

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Do you have ANY idea what is going to happen to the players in 2011? Their wages are going to drop sharply. Stern is a pimp, and always slaps down the players, who are never ready for a work stoppage. The early word is that a top contract will be $8M a year after the new CBA is enacted. Contracts will also be shorter.

6 yrs/$127M now
5 yrs/$40M next summer

Stern slaps down the players. You are smarter than I thought.

Dunc n Dave
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM

6 yrs/$127M now
5 yrs/$40M next summer

That's all speculation. Will salaries go down? Most likely, yes. But I doubt a MAX deal will go down to $8 million when you have guys making over $20 million right now and the current MID-LEVEL deal is over $5 million.

Maybe they won't go down that much, especially if the NBA moves away from FULLY guaranteed contracts (like the NFL does). That way top players can earn top dollar still while teams can erase mistake signings by waiving non-star players and only paying a % of the remaining contract. Guys like Eddy Curry wasting away on the Knicks bench for the last 2 years at $11 million a season because they can't afford to cut him are killing teams financially(not the Knicks, or course).

Point is: Bosh can still get the max next summer. Maybe is it only $15 million a year instead of $17-20million. But after toiling away in Toronto for years, I think there's a chance he foregoes the extra $3-5 million a year to play on a GUARANTEED championship contender for the next 5+ years. A team with Wade, Lebron, and Bosh is guaranteed to make it AT LEAST to the 2nd round or farther every year. Can't get that kind of a guarantee by taking the $20 million max from Toronto for the next 7 years.

I think there IS a chance...

Mel_13
06-19-2010, 11:49 PM

That's fine. You're just not gonna generate much interest in a discussion based on that chance.

Dunc n Dave
06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
That's fine. You're just not gonna generate much interest in a discussion based on that chance.

Duncan took less $$$ to be able to keep Parker and Manu with him, Bosh seems to be in the same mold as Duncan (when it comes to choosing winning over a fat payday). Not saying he'd play for the MLE, but...

He POSSIBLY takes less $$$ in the future (maybe...maybe not, depending on the CBA outcome), Lebron signs up, and then DWade would be a fool NOT to sign up to play with Lebron and Bosh. If Miami somehow gets him to stay, the Knicks go after Dirk or Stoudemire. Illegal or not, you know someone from the Knicks has found a way to relay a similar plan to him under the table. That stuff happens all the time, and just can't be proven.

If the Knicks can pull it off, it's the deal of the century and makes their next decade.

Mel_13
06-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Duncan took less $$$

Duncan signed an extension covering the final two years of his career for about 10M less than the max. This means his career earnings will come to about 205M instead of 215M.

You're suggesting that Bosh will risk over 100M in future earnings. That's preposterous. You can believe what you like. Some people believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, that's their right. It doesn't mean other people are going to accept it as the basis for a serious conversation.

RichB
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Keep shitting on our site. :rolleyes:rolleyes

MaNu4Tres
06-20-2010, 12:23 AM

With all due respect, you people are the ones that brought that crap over here.

Go post it at Hoopsworld where it belongs.

Blackjack
06-20-2010, 12:25 AM
My blue ink is running out.

baseline bum
06-20-2010, 01:17 AM
The early word is that a top contract will be $8M a year after the new CBA is enacted.

Where did you see that number? I can't see the NBAPA accepting that under any condition, even if it costs them a season.

DMX7
06-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Knicks have nothing to offer us.

Toronto won't take RJ.

EricB
06-20-2010, 03:18 AM
:lol Spursreport

Hows the "secret" Charles Smith workin out?

ploto
06-20-2010, 03:54 AM
They can still trade Bosh if he chooses NOT to opt out.

From CBA...

Note that players with ending contracts (including players whose contracts might end due to an option or ETO) cannot be traded after the trading deadline.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q69

MI21
06-20-2010, 06:07 AM

lol RichB

ChuckD
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
That's all speculation. Will salaries go down? Most likely, yes. But I doubt a MAX deal will go down to $8 million when you have guys making over $20 million right now and the current MID-LEVEL deal is over $5 million.

Maybe they won't go down that much, especially if the NBA moves away from FULLY guaranteed contracts (like the NFL does). That way top players can earn top dollar still while teams can erase mistake signings by waiving non-star players and only paying a % of the remaining contract. Guys like Eddy Curry wasting away on the Knicks bench for the last 2 years at $11 million a season because they can't afford to cut him are killing teams financially(not the Knicks, or course).

Point is: Bosh can still get the max next summer. Maybe is it only $15 million a year instead of $17-20million. But after toiling away in Toronto for years, I think there's a chance he foregoes the extra $3-5 million a year to play on a GUARANTEED championship contender for the next 5+ years. A team with Wade, Lebron, and Bosh is guaranteed to make it AT LEAST to the 2nd round or farther every year. Can't get that kind of a guarantee by taking the $20 million max from Toronto for the next 7 years.

Wow, your string of ifs is longer than my grandmothers pearls. We'll go with it, though. Bosh signs his slightly lower non-guaranteed deal, and then blows his knee out...Shaun Livingston style. All the ligaments, tear up some cartilage, and throw in some nerve damage.

Three things I can GUARANTEE you that the owners are going to walk away with before basketball is played again following the 2011 Finals are a hard cap and the elimination of both the MLE and the Larry Bird Exception. If you're living under the hard cap and a player on a big contract has a career threatening injury, you're going to waive him. Forget the salary cost, you absolutely cannot afford to carry him on your cap for 2-3 years to see if he can re-hab. You think that could never happen, but I saw this rolled out in the NFL in the 90s. Guys DO get cut because they're injured. Hell, guys get cut because they're OLD. It'll be up to the player to get some sort of injury insurance. The owners won't have to any more.

TDMVPDPOY
06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
knicks who they tryin to rob...nazr was nice

but they fool us in butler...

cmon

samikeyp
06-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Keep being a good target. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Rules for NBA free agency for top level FAs:

1. It's all about the money
2. See #1
3. If you're old and washed up, then you worry about your ring.

Not that hard of a concept. Bosh will follow the money this summer.

lotr1trekkie
06-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Tony ain't heading east. His future is in LA. Unless he agrees to a longterm deal he's one and done in NY. If NY is going to land all these superstars, they don't need a scorer at all. The need a point guard who never shoots.

Dunc n Dave
06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
From CBA...

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q69

My understanding is if Bosh decides to exercise the option for the final year, he then can be traded on draft night. Obviously nothing can be done until he either exercises the option, OR July 1st comes along and he's a FA. Then it comes down to a sign & trade so he doesn't walk and leave Toronto with nothing to show for him.

That is why Toronto might take a Richard Jefferson or even an Eddy Curry back in a S&T for Bosh (both are only under contract for 1 more year and could be used to get good players at teh trade deadline to teams trying to clear cap space), so as not be left empty handed. With all the teams out there with cap space this summer vying for the FA's, who is gonna sign with Toronto AFTER Bosh is gone???

Toronto is a lot like SA in that you don't see quality FA's lining up to go play there, so they will have to build their team through trades and the draft. WHich is why half of season of Curry or RJ might not be so bad if it lands them a good player on a longer contract later in the year.

UnWantedTheory
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Why support stupidity?

UnWantedTheory
06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Well that was interesting...

I tell them that they are being attention whores for just speculating...

One of the mods replies to me... and a then a few hours later...

Typical...

LoL...I got kicked off for stating I liked Spurstalk a little over a year ago.

But not one person I know likes to be called any kind of whore....:nope

:lol

eisfeld
06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Ahh I love this speculation threads. Well, Tony isn't going anywhere - and if he goes the Spurs need a PG in return.

The only trade I can see with those two teams is the Spurs trading Jefferson, taking on Curry's contract + getting Chandler and maybe DeRozan or Bellinelli.
Don't know if the salaries work exactly - trade checker is down atm. but I tried to do my best headcounting ;)

TOR:
Incoming: Jefferson, Hill (SA), Lee (NY)
Outgoing: DeRozan (SA), Bosh, Hedo (NY)

NY:
Incoming: Bosh, Hedo (TOR)
Outgoing: Lee (TOR), Chandler, Curry(SA)

SA:
Incoming: Curry, Chandler (NY), DeRozan (TOR)
Outgoing: Jefferson, Hill (TOR)

Toronto knows this might be the last chance to get something in return for Bosh. A big expiring in Jefferson and a good SG in Hill and a solid PF in Lee + maybe draft picks from NY. Furthermore they rid themselves from Hedo's horrible contract at the expense of DeRozan. That's a good offer for a player who might leave for free and I doubt other teams can put up much better offers.

NY is getting Bosh with just having to give up Lee (whose spot is taken by Bosh anyways) and Chandler (who might be replaced by LJ). A nobrainer for them. Dealbreaker could be Hedo's contract. So they'd trade a 14 Million expiring and a promising SG for a 11 Million expiring + 2 young promising players. Not a bad deal.

This would be the ideal scenario and the only one I can think of the Spurs would agree too. If the Knicks insist that the Spurs take on Hedo's contract instead of Curry's and if the Spurs would ask for Gallinari instead of Chandler this would be a dealbreaker. Oh, and DeRozan and Bellinelli are interchangeable ;)

SA:
Jefferson hasn't worked out and Hill (although a good player) is replaceable. Spurs get a long SF, a serviceable SG in DeRozan + an Expiring in Curry.

BackHome
06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Money is a huge issue but players look at how much they can make in the citys media market. Looking at all the big names Bosh to me is the only one who will leave and I think it will be for either New York or New Jersey. Both media markets will get the player more then enough to cover the contract difference.

I personaly think the owner from New Jersey is going to make a huge push for these three players in order...Bosh, Dirk and a trade for our Tony Parker. He has the cap space he has the money and he gives the international flair that all three players want. "Yes, call me crazy but I would trade Tony for Derrick Favors".

Lebron I could see either stay in Cleveland or move to Chicago or Miami giving the edge to Chicago.

Dirk to me want's to win and if he thinks he can't do that in Dallas then I think he will move. So I think there is a chance that he would go where Bosh is going to finaly play with a good center.

benefactor
06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
No need to shit on something that shits itself.

Blackjack
06-20-2010, 10:32 PM
No need to shit on something that shits itself.

That's an FDR quote, right?

Shastafarian
06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
lol RichB

I thought the same. Definitely isn't him.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Yep, zero chance.

Did you know Chris Bosh is a de facto free agent today?

Bryan let us in on some housekeeping news yesterday; Bosh had to tell the team by June 20 that he was going to exercise his player option for next season and when the fax didn’t arrive, it meant he’s on the market.

No big deal but a little piece of news that we didn’t know nonetheless.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/06/the-list-is-getting-narrowed.html