PDA

View Full Version : wtf Maynard! (TOOL)

sook
06-21-2010, 02:07 AM
It was pretty cool, I really liked it but they only played like 6 songs at the tc here in houston.

Kinda pissed me off, and maynard just stands in the back and sings, dude doesn't even come on the stage.

Stinkfist and Lateralus were amazing though, the band sitll sounds fucking great.

BRHornet45
06-21-2010, 02:28 AM
son they have always been a stupid ass band and he thinks he is being Mr. Unique and different by standing in the back.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2010, 02:41 AM
they only played six songs? They've played far more the 2 times I've seen them. LOL @ you not knowing he was just going to stand there though.

atlfan25
06-21-2010, 02:54 AM
lol 6 songs. Looks like you got a good setlist actually.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=118973

Girasuck
06-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Setlist says more than 6. You sure you can remember only 6? If so that's kinda lame. I feel sorry for you though if you thought Maynard would jump around and come forward.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2010, 09:07 AM
F' maynard. What a jackass. These guys are non-vital these days. A real yawner as of late.

Spurminator
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Same setlist as Dallas, looks like.

It did feel short, especially when (seemingly) 30 minutes of the show was ambient noise. Not sure why bands don't play more than two hours anymore.

sook
06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

It did feel short, especially when (seemingly) 30 minutes of the show was ambient noise. Not sure why bands don't play more than two hours anymore.

exactly. I guess there were more than six, but it was just a lot of ambient noise most of the time.

Lateralus was worth it alone though.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
F' maynard. What a jackass. These guys are non-vital these days. A real yawner as of late.

People look at me like I'm on crack when I tell them the last two Tool albums were anything special at all. In fact, they both sound the same. Tool as a band as always been arrogant, and that arrogance started affecting their music.

lil'mo
06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
tool has always sucked though, sooo.....

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2010, 10:37 AM
People look at me like I'm on crack when I tell them the last two Tool albums were anything special at all. In fact, they both sound the same. Tool as a band as always been arrogant, and that arrogance started affecting their music.

Aenema was their The Wall and swan song at the same time. I only ever got about 4 songs into lateralus before I fell asleep. Still to this day I've never heard it. I just lost interest in them. They really have nothing more to say. I don't know if the whole band is arrogant but Maynard's ego has it's own zipcode or two.

4>0rings
06-21-2010, 10:37 AM
son they have always been a stupid ass band and he thinks he is being Mr. Unique and different by standing in the back.
True but they make some kick ass music although they are major douches.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
tool has always sucked though, sooo.....

But Maynard wears $100+ sunglasses

scott
06-21-2010, 11:17 AM

I saw The Mars Volta a few years ago at Austin Music Hall. No opening band, they started exactly when the ticket said they would, and played 3 hours. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

2 years later, same deal. No opening band, started on time, played 2:15. That's the way it should be done.

Right around Aenima, I'd seen TOOL around 10 times. Sometimes a decent opening band, sometimes a shitty one. Always late going on stage, but it was worth it because they put on a good show. I saw them once since. Terrible opening band, an hour late starting, short show that was more of a laser light show with ambient noise. In my mind they've truly become irrelevant. I was a huge fan back in the day - now I could care less (actually, I'd probably still buy a new album - but I've honestly listened to 10,000 Days maybe twice).

thispego
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
But Maynard wears $100+ sunglasses

:greedy

because people with bad taste in music like you give him money

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I went to that first Volta show you spoke of. What a great concert that was. It was hot as hell in there. I developed a weird rash on my arm when I left that show.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2010, 11:29 AM
:greedy

because people with bad taste in music like you give him money

You mustn't read well........

sook
06-21-2010, 11:31 AM
its great music, just arrogance and disrespect towards their fanbase, and yea they were an hr late on stage it was supposed to start at 8 and end at 11. But it started 9 something and ended 10:30

ChuckD
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I went to that first Volta show you spoke of. What a great concert that was. It was hot as hell in there. I developed a weird rash on my arm when I left that show.

Did it peel off? Because if it did, you contracted The Mars Molta.

Shastafarian
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Maynard is extremely arrogant but I can't say the same for Danny Carey. Dude is a master on drums and humble.

sook
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Maynard is extremely arrogant but I can't say the same for Danny Carey. Dude is a master on drums and humble.

yea, he was the only one that stayed back and threw his drumsticks and extra shit to the crowd, and the only one to say bye and thanks.

Dr. Gonzo
06-21-2010, 11:57 PM
I once saw boys to men in concert.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2010, 01:43 AM
It was pretty cool, I really liked it but they only played like 6 songs at the tc here in houston.

Kinda pissed me off, and maynard just stands in the back and sings, dude doesn't even come on the stage.

Stinkfist and Lateralus were amazing though, the band sitll sounds fucking great.

*disclaimer*
I am replying to your OP because I honestly do not give a fuck about whatever anyone other than my buddies said.

That's what Maynard has always done after ~2002. Welcome to the sane TOOL-appreciating world. I will not disagree with your intimations that TOOL really does not get the crowd going the way they used to, as I saw them three times on the 10000 days tour. But I saw them before that and Maynard really is loafing it way way way before any time 2010. It's just what he does. So basically when you see TOOL you have to expect him being all emo douche.

When TOOL first started he was doing crazy shit but honestly after Lateralus, Maynard has done what you said. He just stays back there and tries to let the music stand for itself. IMO the best way of determining whether or not it was a good TOOL show was whether or not your body was moving back and forth and you found yourself enraptured in the music.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2010, 01:46 AM
I once saw boys to men in concert.

I love midge but will never forgive him for pussing out on me for that Thanksgiving 2006 Gwar concert at the White Rabbit. I had to get fondled by a a Slovenian Pimp twice and sleep with my dick hooked up to an intricate system of levers-and-pulleys because he douched out on me chilling at his place that night.

hitmanyr2k
06-22-2010, 01:50 AM
its great music, just arrogance and disrespect towards their fanbase, and yea they were an hr late on stage it was supposed to start at 8 and end at 11. But it started 9 something and ended 10:30

That's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Sevendust. They treat their fans like family. Some of the most down to earth guys you could ever meet.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Sevendust's 1999 album "Home" is one of my most formative albums. It's a work of art. Licking Cream is a masterpiece. I'd bet my soul that 75% of Sevendust fans at the time had no idea who Skin was, and that song put the entire album at an entire different level. And that's before we even acknowledge the solid solid impact of the first six or seven pure Sevendust songs on that album. Sevendust had their moment, but please do not ever mention them again in a TOOL discussion.

redzero
06-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Sounds like Maynard did you a favor.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Did it peel off? Because if it did, you contracted The Mars Molta.

No but it was very itchy for about a month or so. I'm convinced I caught it their cuz it was pretty packed, very hot and I was almost front and center.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Sevendust's 1999 album "Home" is one of my most formative albums. It's a work of art. Licking Cream is a masterpiece. I'd bet my soul that 75% of Sevendust fans at the time had no idea who Skin was, and that song put the entire album at an entire different level. And that's before we even acknowledge the solid solid impact of the first six or seven pure Sevendust songs on that album. Sevendust had their moment, but please do not ever mention them again in a TOOL discussion.

:pimpslap

fraga
06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Man...if you guys think Tool sucks...I'd love to hear what bands you think play good music...

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Man...if you guys think Tool sucks...I'd love to hear what bands you think play good music...

Never implied they suck. Just non-vital. Sheen lost. Gone limp. Doesn't flic my bic. Etc

fraga
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Well not you inparticular...I just remember reading a ton of people prior bashing Tool...saying they suck...I was just curious as to what "THEY" thought was good music...for their faults...for Maynards arrogance...their music is pretty awesome...especially their earlier stuff...

mookie2001
06-22-2010, 11:33 AM

radiohead

Who else?

I saw tool at Joe and Harry freeman and he was in the round with platform and light show but it was dark and you couldn't see him. That's his deal though he's faceless

but 6 songs is a gypsy move

greyforest
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
GKidSVPGLFE