PDA

View Full Version : Gazes Retire: Like Son, Like Father

Solid D
05-13-2005, 11:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2059490

Updated: May 13, 2005, 1:53 PM ET
Gaze helped Seton Hall to '89 title gameAssociated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia -- The father and son duo of Lindsay and Andrew Gaze has retired, ending nearly a half-century of the family's involvement in Australian basketball.

Andrew Gaze was an 11-time scoring champion in the Australian domestic league, played on five Olympic teams and spent two seasons in the NBA with Washington (1993-94) and San Antonio (1998-99).

He was a key player in Seton Hall's run to the 1989 NCAA national championship game, where the Pirates lost in overtime to Michigan.

Lindsay Gaze, coach of the Melbourne Tigers, tried to talk his son into playing one more season with the team, then joined him in retirement. Both will retain positions with the club.

The elder Gaze played on Olympic teams in 1960, 1964 and 1968, and coached the Australian Boomers in the next four games. At the last, in 1984, 18-year-old son Andrew made his Olympic debut.

Andrew Gaze, now 39, was his nation's flag-bearer at the Sydney Olympics, leading more than 600 Australians into the main stadium for the opening ceremony of the 2000 Games.

Solid D
05-13-2005, 11:53 PM
http://seven.com.au/news/sport/80742

Andrew Gaze retires after 22-year career
Date: 13/05/05
By Guy Hand

Andrew Gaze, the Bradman of Australian basketball, has brought down a teary, humble and dignified curtain on his decorated 22-year playing career.

Gaze, the greatest basketballer ever produced in Australia, announced his playing retirement after breaking virtually every available record in a career spanning five Olympics, four world championships and 22 NBL seasons at the Melbourne Tigers.

With his father and long-time Tigers coach Lindsay also calling it quits, Gaze held back tears as he said wear and tear on his body had led to his decision to retire.

Gaze had been subject to some last-minute pressure - not the least from his father - trying to convince him to squeeze one more NBL season out of a near 40-year-old body.

And he revealed he had only made his final decision to quit this week, citing the fact he was seriously feeling the effects of a top-level basketball career started at age 18.

"I've been backwards and forwards about retiring since the end of the season; I've had dad and a lot of other people trying to talk me into playing another year, but that's it," Gaze said.

"My desire has always been to keep playing, I'd love to keep playing, my mind is willing to keep playing and it pains me not to be able to keep playing at this level.

"But you get to a point where you think about your own wellbeing.

"There's a lot of wear and tear on the body that makes it difficult to physically get through - that's probably the primary reason."

The most moving tribute to Gaze came from his father, not normally noted for effusive public praise.

When asked if he was a proud father, Gaze senior said: "My departure will be hardly noticed, but you cannot possibly imagine the difference, the chasm that will be left in the game without Andrew.

"When you go through the history of his performances, and try to compare it with any other outstanding individual sports achievement, especially in the team concept, I struggle."

Gaze, who turns 40 in July, rated playing for Australia as his career highlight, especially his five Olympic Games and being flagbearer for the opening ceremony at his farewell Games in Sydney in 2000.

He leaves the sport with more NBL games than any other player, more NBL points than anyone else, and proved himself capable of playing regularly with the world's elite as he won an NBA championship with San Antonio in 1999.

Seven NBL most valuable player titles, two NBL championships and the Tigers' go-to man even in the twilight of his career, Gaze has been the most recognisable name and face in the sport for two decades.

It is the end of an era at the Tigers, with Lindsay also stepping aside as head coach after 35 years at the club, including its 22 in the NBL.

He coached the Tigers to NBL titles in 1993 and 1997 and has coached more NBL games than any other person.

Both will remain involved with the Tigers.

Lindsay will take up a role as coaching and development manager while Andrew will become the Tigers media manager.

Lindsay's long-time assistant, Al Westover, will take over as Tigers head coach next season.

Copyright © 2005 AAP, Seven Network (Operations) Ltd

Solid D
05-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Props to the Gazes. Props to a San Antonio Spur ring-holder.

http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/018959news.jpg

xcoriate
05-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Easily the greatest Australian basketballer of all time. The only comparison that can be made with him is Jordan. He was Jordan in Australia. I think Avery even says words to those effects of the championship video.

Averaged 45ppg one season and is the olympic all time scoring leader.

Oh and he is the all time leader in points, games played and assists in nbl not to mention 7 MVPs.

Amazing player and just general class guy.

Horry For 3!
05-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, Props to them.

TDMVPDPOY
05-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Heard they wanna induct him n his father into the bball HOF now instead of waitin for the 4yr period to be eligibility, him n his father done so much for the game in australia, they should just induct them into the hall now.

Solid D
05-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Without Gaze, PJ Carlesimo and Seton Hall would have never gotten a sniff of the NCAA Final Four.

Solid D
05-14-2005, 01:33 AM
PJ Carlesimo's Big East in-Conference record leading up to 1989. How many coaches would have lasted past the 1st 5 seasons with most Admin. and ADs today, with a conference record like that? Gaze helped put Seton Hall back on the basketball map.

1982-83: 1-15
1983-84: 2-14
1984-85: 1-15
1985-86: 3-13
1986-87: 4-12
1987-88: 8-8
1988-89: 11-5 (Final Four)